*graphic and adult content* Jodi Arias Trial discussion #6

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just checked the transcript.. the expert said the file would go to a place when deleted... the PA had him further define "the place"

I think it is fine.. and nothing to worry about... IDK

I just checked the transcript.. the expert said the file would go to a place when deleted... the PA had him further define "the place"

I agree, I just thought Juan knew more than the other guy. I will go back and re-listen but I am sure I heard him correctly, whether it was a mistake or him not use to testifying.

The way I understand it as a layperson is that when information is deleted it remains on the computer until the space is needed when new information is being saved.

I think a little cartoon video would have been useful for jurors who need a visual.

Something just occurred to me. I guess you can say I'm slow on the uptake. Jodi erased all the pictures from the camera. I recently did the same. I had to go to delete and yes each time. The picture, of course was there. Well then, she had to see the "accidental" pictures.

Maybe she didn't look closely.

There should be something in your cameras menus to "delete all". She probably DID that, then the camera was in the washer and ruined the camera. On purpose or accident, we may never know. I think it's kind of stupid to not just take the card out of the camera and with her, but maybe she did not want to risk getting caught with it somehow. I know if I tried to pull something like that and then threw the card away or trashed it, the FIRST PERSON to find it would be a police officer......and within minutes, too :) I am just not that lucky!

Anyway, I think of it like the card is a canvas that has a picture that I shoot (or paint) on. When I hit delete, the "canvas" is painted over ready for a new "painting" or photo. The old one is still there, under the fresh white coating, until I take a new picture over top of it.

If I understand correctly, once the file is deleted the space becomes 'unallocated' and can be written over. The file in the 'trash can' is a copy.

Hope the below helps.

http://whereismydata.wordpress.com/2008/10/03/what-is-unallocated-space/

If the operating system writes a file to a certain space on the hard drive that part of the drive is now “allocated”, as the file is using it the space, and no other files can be written to that section. If that file is deleted then that part of the hard drive is no longer required to be “allocated” it becomes unallocated. This means that new files can now be re-written to that location.

However the data from the file is still on the hard drive, it does not just disappear, it just changes its status.

I agree, I just thought Juan knew more than the other guy. I will go back and re-listen but I am sure I heard him correctly, whether it was a mistake or him not use to testifying.

he seemed a little nervous (head was shaking)

When data has been physically overwritten on a hard disk drive it is generally assumed that the previous data is no longer possible to recover

Although the data of deleted files are still stored intact in your hard drive, it may be overwritten by new information.

Because the more you use the computer, the more portions of this data is overwritten.

When you create and edit documents, or run applications, or even simply surfing the web, these activites write information on your hard drive. And the area of the deleted file may be overwritten anytime.

Solid-state drives (SSD) overwrite data differently than hard disk drives (HDD) which makes at least some of their data easier to recover. Most SSDs use flash memory to store data in pages and blocks, referenced by logical block addresses (LBA) which are managed by the flash translation layer (FTL). When the FTL modifies a sector it writes the new data to another location and updates the map so the new data appears at the target LBA. This leaves the pre-modification data in place, with possibly many generations, and recoverable by data recovery software
- You'd see where the jury would have trouble lol

Files which have been "deleted" from a storage medium - Typically, the contents of deleted files are not removed immediately from the drive; instead, references to them in the directory structure are removed, and the space they occupy is made available for later overwriting. In the meantime, the original file contents remain, often in a number of disconnected fragments, and may be recoverable.

he seemed a little nervous (head was shaking)

I just hope they didn't confuse the jury. I thought the expert knew more than the DA but was having a hard time expressing it because of nerves. Bottom line, data remains after deletion until overwritten and with the right software it can be recovered.

If you want to really remove the data, you destroy it. Or if you don't want to do that, you can use software which will erase the data permanently or you can encrypt it, even then with the technology in use today , forensics can still recover data so the safest way is to destroy the HD or Memory card.

If you want to really remove the data, you destroy it. Or if you don't want to do that, you can use software which will erase the data permanently or you can encrypt it, even then with the technology in use today , forensics can still recover data so the safest way is to destroy the HD or Memory card.

Jodi Arias is *face palm*ing that she forgot to take the card or the camera itself.

The way I understand it as a layperson is that when information is deleted it remains on the computer until the space is needed when new information is being saved.

I think a little cartoon video would have been useful for jurors who need a visual.

Lol!! A cartoon video would be very helpful for the visual learners.

Better than a big *advertiser censored** sketch pad and marks-a-lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If that file is deleted then that part of the hard drive is no longer required to be “allocated” it becomes unallocated. This means that new files can now be re-written to that location.

However the data from the file is still on the hard drive, it does not just disappear, it just changes its status.

BBM Is correct and what the forensic guy said is that the file stays in that location until it is over written. Anyways court should be back soon but I am going to re-watch this as I thought Juan was clever in how he handled it. On one hand he had to appear like he did not know, asking the questions, but on the other steering the guy to the correct answer and I think this will clearly show to anyone who watches again.

Now for another direction!

When data has been physically overwritten on a hard disk drive it is generally assumed that the previous data is no longer possible to recover

Although the data of deleted files are still stored intact in your hard drive, it may be overwritten by new information.

Because the more you use the computer, the more portions of this data is overwritten.

When you create and edit documents, or run applications, or even simply surfing the web, these activites write information on your hard drive. And the area of the deleted file may be overwritten anytime.

- You'd see where the jury would have trouble lol

Files which have been "deleted" from a storage medium - Typically, the contents of deleted files are not removed immediately from the drive; instead, references to them in the directory structure are removed, and the space they occupy is made available for later overwriting. In the meantime, the original file contents remain, often in a number of disconnected fragments, and may be recoverable.

Does the system work on a calendar? Meaning the oldest deleted files are the first to be overwritten? If so the State should be able to retrieve a great deal of the emails and searches that were most recently done. :)

Hmph. Live trial and my children actually expect dinner? The nerve. ;)

Finally court running late works in my favor!

If she would only have taken that camera (or even just the card) with her and wiped down the walls, I imagine she would never have been arrested. SO glad she is not the intelligent person that she tries to make everyone think!

Lol!! A cartoon video would be very helpful for the visual learners.

Better than a big *advertiser censored** sketch pad and marks-a-lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LOL a big sketch pad complete with spelling errors...hehehee...IORN

The way I understand it Cuckoohead , is that the files are still all there. Parts may be overwritten but it is possible to restore those files.

I am not too sure if it works in that way. I hope they were able to retrieve everything! as far as I know Jodi didn't take Travis' laptop! and his emails won't need to be recovered , nor will hers, because they both used "GMAIL" which stores all the emails ever sent on google's own servers :)

which means, that google has an entire backup of every conversation TA and JA had!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abk018