Greece Greece - Ben Needham, 21 mos, Isle of Kos, 24 July 1991

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Ok let's hope that was just a temporary setback.

Phew!

Ok let's hope that was just a temporary setback.

Phew!

Yes the situation is already extremely difficult without these kind of complications. Thank you to the land owner for allowing the authorities to dig once again.

Ben Needham
‏@FindBenNeedham

Kerry and her family would like to thank everybody for their support and loving words. They are a great comfort at this time

Hope this link is ok to post...... it is a 10 minute video from the ITV reporter on site. Showing very good footage of the farmhouse and area of the current dig.... plus a short press conference from DI Cousins, giving updates and explaining that today the team are going to be digging at a new area, the place where Dino Barkas was digging on the day Ben disappeared.
Dino was demolishing another old farmhouse which stood a bit further down the road ( on the same side ) from the farmhouse that Ben's grandfather and uncle were working on. The team are currently cutting back trees in order to be able to dig at the base of what was the old farmhouse. DI Cousins said this work has been determined both by information they received 25 years ago !! and also by information given by the new witness, back in May this year.

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=1343304905702007

Have to say I feel uncomfortable about a dead man being put in the frame without there being more than the say so of an unidentified friend that waited not only 25 years but over a year after the digger driver died to come forward.

So I read a few articles from the last week and watched old documentaries/read old articles and comparing them there are things that make me pause.

Just have to wait and see if he is found and hear what the Police have to say.

That is a typical Star article to be honest.

Here is just one fly in the ointment. Ben's shorts (hanging on a tree outside the farmhouse door feet away from the family) and toy cars also went missing at the same time as him. How would this guy, and anyone helping him, possibly know about them items and take them from the front of the farmhouse where the family were having lunch?

I'm not saying he can't be involved in some way either knowingly or unwittingly, but just this one example shows that there must be more to this than a simple accident/cover up by the guy alone or with help.

Edit: There was post with a picture and quotes from the Star, right? Or have I just replied to a figment of my imagination!? (my finger is now hovering over the PC off button..)

I'm glad the dig issue's been resolved. Can you imagine if it had been stopped and Ben's family never really knowing whether or not he's buried there? What a nightmare.

That is a typical Star article to be honest.

Here is just one fly in the ointment. Ben's shorts (hanging on a tree outside the farmhouse door feet away from the family) and toy cars also went missing at the same time as him. How would this guy, and anyone helping him, possibly know about them items and take them from the front of the farmhouse where the family were having lunch?

I'm not saying he can't be involved in some way either knowingly or unwittingly, but just this one example shows that there must be more to this than a simple accident/cover up by the guy alone or with help.

Edit: There was post with a picture and quotes from the Star, right? Or have I just replied to a figment of my imagination!? (my finger is now hovering over the PC off button..)

I agree completely re the shorts. This is why I think Ben was abducted. Even allowing that the place where Dino was digging is on the same side of the road as the farmhouse where Ben was playing ( earlier maps showed it on the other side of the road ) it is still far enough away that I do not believe he, or anyone else on the digging site, would have been able to see the shorts hanging on the tree.

Plus, according to Ben's grandmother, the time between her son departing ( when we know Ben was outside ) and she ( the grandmother ) going outside to see where Ben was - was 2 to 3 minutes. So in this very short space of time, we are supposed to believe that Dino ( or someone on the digging site ) accidentally killed Ben, then went up to the farmhouse and removed the shorts. Just not possible.

I agree completely re the shorts. This is why I think Ben was abducted. Even allowing that the place where Dino was digging is on the same side of the road as the farmhouse where Ben was playing ( earlier maps showed it on the other side of the road ) it is still far enough away that I do not believe he, or anyone else on the digging site, would have been able to see the shorts hanging on the tree.

Plus, according to Ben's grandmother, the time between her son departing ( when we know Ben was outside ) and she ( the grandmother ) going outside to see where Ben was - was 2 to 3 minutes. So in this very short space of time, we are supposed to believe that Dino ( or someone on the digging site ) accidentally killed Ben, then went up to the farmhouse and removed the shorts. Just not possible.

The only problem here is that an abduction seems even less likely given the Police now seem sure he's buried very close to the farmhouse. Stephen never mentioned that he saw any vehicle or people when he left did he? And if the Police do find any evidence in the ground near the farmhouse then what sort of abductor would take a child, shorts and cars then kill and bury him close by feet/metres away from four people and not have the dog bark (it barked at everybody so it is said)? Doing all this in as you say 2-3 minutes without being seen or heard coming or going.

This assumes the Police do find something but if they don't this would just be another wasted effort. All the articles the last couple of weeks indicate they are very confident he is there so will just have to wait and see where they are going with this.

I don't believe the 'missing' shorts and toys have anything to do with Ben's disappearance at all. I think in all the confusion and emotional turmoil that went on for days if not longer someone simply forgot that they had been put away earlier, or hung on that tree on another day, or some such. The shorts/toys disappearing make no sense with either scenario, abduction or accident.

I believe he's buried there somewhere. Why would the friend make up a story like that? To somehow spoil Dino's reputation postmortem? I think this friend is telling what he heard from Dino.

I don't believe the 'missing' shorts and toys have anything to do with Ben's disappearance at all. I think in all the confusion and emotional turmoil that went on for days if not longer someone simply forgot that they had been put away earlier, or hung on that tree on another day, or some such. The shorts/toys disappearing make no sense with either scenario, abduction or accident.

I believe he's buried there somewhere. Why would the friend make up a story like that? To somehow spoil Dino's reputation postmortem? I think this friend is telling what he heard from Dino.

Like I say I'll wait to see if they find anything solid and what they think it means. All the articles and info about Dino and the mystery friend have all been "reportedly" from the press and not something the Police have stated.

What am I missing re the sandals thing? Why did they have to make an exact replica of the sandals? Surely a stock photo of some brown leather sandals would suffice? Presumably ANY sandals (or other clothing items) are being handed to forensics. I therefore don't geddit, why all the effort to recreate Ben's sandals, am I being really thick? And what's this about finding a sandal in 2012 but not being able to get DNA from it?

I have no idea where they are headed with any of this. I am confused by the sandal thing, why have the recreated them? For whose benefit?

Not only do the sandals give searchers something very specific to search for, but maybe to also help the searchers connect emotionally to the search, especially if they only show up as otherwise unrecognizable bits and pieces.
Something very specific and personal about a missing person's shoes, imo, speculation.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/ent...e-day-he-vanished_uk_57eff894e4b00e5804f158d2
The leather sandals were specially made by an island cobbler earlier this week and are near identical to those worn by the toddler when he disappeared in Kos in July 1991.

Police believe the sandals may help focus search teams sifting through tons of soil on what they are looking for.

attachment.php

The cobbler who made the sandals was said to have been ‘quite emotional’ after realising the connection to Ben

Attachments

• 57effb5f1a0000f3045b6436.jpeg
    57effb5f1a0000f3045b6436.jpeg
    54.5 KB · Views: 137
I would imagine the sandals are important because they are made of materials that do not decompose as quickly and therefore are most likely to still be recognizable as sandals. Also, in the 2012 dig they found a buckle. I think the shorts are just a bit of journalistic license as they were only ever mentioned in one article. If they had indeed gone, this would have been a big issue in the investigation. As they supposedly hung in a bush right outside where Ben's grandparents and the house owner were, I think it is extremely unlikely that a kidnapper would have gone up to the house for a pair of shorts and risked being discovered.
I've followed this case from the first reports that Ben went missing and I so wish for his mother to have that happy end. But this hypothesis with a digger accident makes perfect sense rationally - much more than an abduction or Ben getting lost, having an accident and the body not getting found.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tammyb1025
Back