Found Deceased Greece - Dr. Suzanne Eaton, 60, American, gone for a run, Crete, 2 Jul 2019 *ARREST*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a question if anybody is able to answer, and pardon my American naivete/geographical ignorance: Is there a rough comparison one could make to Crete in America? Basically an analog city or state in the USA matching the geographic size and population of Crete? All I really know is it's an island. Just curious about what the chances/statistics are of one person being responsible for all these, or if it's a very densely populated area where there could easily be multiple offenders working at once.

Geographically Crete would be similar to Southern California ( LA area)

ETA: Crete’s population is 600k+

I have a question if anybody is able to answer, and pardon my American naivete/geographical ignorance: Is there a rough comparison one could make to Crete in America? Basically an analog city or state in the USA matching the geographic size and population of Crete? All I really know is it's an island. Just curious about what the chances/statistics are of one person being responsible for all these, or if it's a very densely populated area where there could easily be multiple offenders working at once.

Here's a map where Greece is superimposed over the US to give an idea of size difference: Size of United States compared to Greece

Crete is the largest island at the bottom of the Greece Map. To me it seems to be comparable to Long Island, NY (I'm only talking about size, not population). MOO.

Welcome Citydancer. Thank you for your insight!

This may be a bit of a stretch but may she of been mistaken as German since she lived and worked in Germany? Hate crime? Placed in a former Nazi bunker off the beaten path?

Edited for grammar.

ETA: I have noticed with my conversations with Greeks that Germans are not viewed positively, especially with the severe austerity on Greece that Germany has supported.

Hi glassheater!, and please bear with me while I find my way with the formatting of replies.

I'd say there's zero possibility of her being attacked for looking German. First of all she didn't look particularly Nordic, but even if she did, you can't begin to imagine how many tourists from Northern Europe we get here in Greece, literally hordes. We like them, they like us, we get along. There have been no hate attacks against German tourists, not to my knowledge anyway. Definitely nothing more than the occasional semi-joking verbal exchange you'd expect after many rounds of drinking.

Last edited:
Area: 8,336 km²

Population: 632,674 (2017)

Crete (Greek: Κρήτη, Kríti ['kriti]; Ancient Greek: Κρήτη, Krḗtē) is the largest and most populous of the Greek islands, the 88th largest island in the world and the fifth largest island in the Mediterranean Sea, after Sicily, Sardinia, Cyprus, and Corsica.

Being Greek what I have to say is it's very highly unlikely there would be more than one "serial-killer" type individual operating in Crete at the same time, in fact there have never been any serial killers identified in Crete so far. It's a peaceful island with good, loud and fun-loving people, amazing landscapes and strong links to tradition. Having said that, there are also some small financial subcultures operating on the island, people whose interests and routines don't normally meet nor clash with those of (Greek or foreign) tourists, so normally they're not perceived as threats. But if someone accidentally steps into their territory, then there could be problems.

I'm not yet convinced there is a serial killer on Crete. Many of the threads I posted had suspects who knew the victims. And most of those cases the victim was a foreigner living on Crete not just visiting like Suzanne. But Suzanne's death is very suspicious. I hope they get to the bottom of it and I hope those other cases are solved too. MOO.

If she was a victim of a crime (which looks likely), I don't think the perp knew her. They are probably local. IMO it was more likely a crime of opportunity. Not a robbery, since she didn't carry anything with her.
She was reportedly found by two locals, who went to investigate a smell emanating from the direction of the cave.

Welcome @CityDancer. So much appreciate your perspective. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and information.

What could be happening on this island? Any ideas?

Hi cpeacock1, well like I said in my previous message there are some financial subcultures operating on this otherwise peaceful island, so if she mistakenly strolled into a farm... or an exchange... or something, she may have accidentally gotten herself into trouble. Also, the landscape is rugged, full of cliffs and abruptly twisting dirt roads so maybe someone accidentally hit her with his car and panicked and wanted to get rid of the body? Knowing the island, these would be my two top bets based on the information available so far.

Here's a map where Greece is superimposed over the US to give an idea of size difference: Size of United States compared to Greece

Crete is the largest island at the bottom of the Greece Map. To me it seems to be comparable to Long Island, NY (I'm only talking about size, not population). MOO.

Oh, man, that is so awesome! Thank you for finding that and providing the link!

Hi cpeacock1, well like I said in my previous message there are some financial subcultures operating on this otherwise peaceful island, so if she mistakenly strolled into a farm... or an exchange... or something, she may have accidentally gotten herself into trouble. Also, the landscape is rugged, full of cliffs and abruptly twisting dirt roads so maybe someone accidentally hit her with his car and panicked and wanted to get rid of the body? Knowing the island, these would be my two top bets based on the information available so far.

Her accidentally being hit by a car has crossed my mind as well. Especially with the winding roads.

RBBM (respectfully bolded by me)
Welcome CityDancer! This is my theory as well. After hearing from you and knowing from personal experience how peaceful Crete is, I too think this was an unfortunate accident. I am so thankful her body was found so quickly. RIP Dr. Eaton

RBBM (respectfully bolded by me)
Welcome CityDancer! This is my theory as well. After hearing from you and knowing from personal experience how peaceful Crete is, I too think this was an unfortunate accident. I am so thankful her body was found so quickly. RIP Dr. Eaton

RIP Dr. Eaton and let's hope they find whoever did this. A car accident is one thing (if indeed it was an accident) but treating the body that way was so disrespectful.

From the article below (automatic translation):

According to Flashnews.gr's valid information from the authorities, the case is treated as a "criminal act" and it is certain that the 60-year-old lost her life elsewhere and was transferred there by him or those involved, who put her face in the tunnels and covered it.

Note that the point is near the highway and it is certain that those who carried the body there know the area and the existence of the tunnels.

BBM. More info (including the location) at:
Επίσημο:Η σορός στο Μάλεμε ήταν της Suzanne Eaton – "Ανοιχτή" η εγκληματική ενέργεια
kolimpari-maleme.PNG

Thank you ~ trying to get a sense of the big picture ...

found:
  • 10km from where she was last seen or heard from on ___ at ___PM (4:30?)
  • reported missing on July __ 2019
  • found on July __ 2019
  • a few meters inside an artificial cave, a former German bunker
  • laying on belly/face
  • her head and maybe her body was covered

fact:
  • the case is treated as a "criminal act"
  • it is certain that the 60-year-old lost her life elsewhere and was transferred to the cave by those involved

If this was an accident, where a car accidentally hit her while she was jogging on a road (was she jogging on a road?), wouldn't the Greek courts recognize that it was an unavoidable accident? Hiding the body is dumb, but the courts should recognize that - especially now that the body has been found. The injuries will be consistent with a car accident, unavoidable when people run on busy windy roads.

If this is a road accident, there is a good explanation for the type of injuries to the body, and maybe there's an explanation for hiding the body. For example, the driver might be thinking that hiding the body is the best idea to avoid the wrath of the USA, where a road accident becomes an international incident?

If this was an accident, where a car accidentally hit her while she was jogging on a road (was she jogging on a road?), wouldn't the Greek courts recognize that it was an unavoidable accident? Hiding the body is dumb, but the courts should recognize that - especially now that the body has been found. The injuries will be consistent with a car accident, unavoidable when people run on busy windy roads.

If this is a road accident, there is a good explanation for the type of injuries to the body, and maybe there's an explanation for hiding the body. For example, the driver might be thinking that hiding the body is the best idea to avoid the wrath of the USA, where a road accident becomes an international incident?

I am curious if perhaps drinking was involved. Yes it’s early time of day but it’s been to known to happen.

I am curious if perhaps drinking was involved. Yes it’s early time of day but it’s been to known to happen.

It was a conference of scientists and professionals, and there was an evening event. My guess is that no one from the conference was drinking in the afternoon. Going for a run at 4:30PM, between the afternoon and evening event, seems like a good idea if she normally does that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ClueCrusader