Found Deceased Greece - Dr. Suzanne Eaton, 60, American, gone for a run, Crete, 2 Jul 2019 *ARREST*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Some info on the bunker (automatic translation with minor corrections):

According to deputy governor of 3rd EMAK of Crete, Nikos Papaleonidas, the 60-year-old woman's body was found in a gallery, a hundred meters from the rural road.

It is, as he said, a lame retreat that can only be reached if known well.

The entrance of the German shelter is an opening, according to him, at a height of two meters from the ground, while calling downhill two more meters and then resembles a maze.

Στην Αμερικανίδα Suzanne Eaton ανήκει το πτώμα που βρέθηκε στο Μάλεμε

"Lame retreat" in the above also translates as "labyrinth refuge".

From the article below (automatic translation):

According to Flashnews.gr's valid information from the authorities, the case is treated as a "criminal act" and it is certain that the 60-year-old lost her life elsewhere and was transferred there by him or those involved, who put her face in the tunnels and covered it.

Note that the point is near the highway and it is certain that those who carried the body there know the area and the existence of the tunnels.

BBM. More info (including the location) at:
Επίσημο:Η σορός στο Μάλεμε ήταν της Suzanne Eaton – "Ανοιχτή" η εγκληματική ενέργεια
kolimpari-maleme.PNG

Last edited:
Apparently she was found last night (June 8th): Statement on the tragic demise of Suzanne Eaton

Edited to add - from the link below:
The body was reportedly found by citizens and it was laying on the belly just a few meters inside the artificial cave, a German bunker.
Tragic end for US biologist Suzanne Eaton missing on Crete UPD - Keep Talking Greece

A silver alert was issued on Crete for another woman, a 37 year old British tourist Catherine Mowatt, who went missing on June 30th, but there isn't as much publicity about her disappearance. More info here: Νέος συναγερμός στην Κρήτη! Έχουν χαθεί τα ίχνη της εδώ και 10 ημέρες - KoitaMagazine

A missing thread for Catherine: Greece - Greece - Catherine Mowatt, 37, British citizen Missing on Island of Crete, 30 June 2019

According to Flashnews.gr's valid information from the authorities, the case is treated as a "criminal act" and it is certain that the 60-year-old lost her life elsewhere and was transferred there by him or those involved, who put her face in the tunnels and covered it.

Note that the point is near the highway and it is certain that those who carried the body there know the area and the existence of the tunnels.

BBM. More info at:
Επίσημο:Η σορός στο Μάλεμε ήταν της Suzanne Eaton – "Ανοιχτή" η εγκληματική ενέργεια

So sad and frightening. With another woman missing from Crete since June, I wonder if perhaps they have a serial killer lurking on the island? This bunker seems like a place only a local would know about. MOO.

Rest in Peace Dr Eaton.
I hope the authorities will find who did this to you and there will be justice.

BBM. More info (including the location) at:
kolimpari-maleme.PNG

Terrible!!!

So sad and frightening. With another woman missing from Crete since June, I wonder if perhaps they have a serial killer lurking on the island? This bunker seems like a place only a local would know about. MOO.

Rest in Peace Dr Eaton.
I hope the authorities will find who did this to you and there will be justice.
RBBM
It sure does. It seems hidden away and not immediately accessible from a running path.. She apparently ran the day before as well. I wonder if someone noticed her then. Or if it was more random and opportunistic on the day she disappeared. Hopefully someone witnessed something that leads to a suspect(s).

Why would someone want to harm her? (Mostly rhetorical). Seems senseless to me. Must be horrifying to her family. An accident or medical emergency is tragic enough. IMO

RBBM
It sure does. It seems hidden away and not immediately accessible from a running path.. She apparently ran the day before as well. I wonder if someone noticed her then. Or if it was more random and opportunistic on the day she disappeared. Hopefully someone witnessed something that leads to a suspect(s).

Why would someone want to harm her? (Mostly rhetorical). Seems senseless to me. Must be horrifying to her family. An accident or medical emergency is tragic enough. IMO

And definitely a time of day that there would be less eyewitnesses out to begin with. Many shops even close in the afternoon because of the heat.

ETA: adding to the mystery is how nobody saw her even leave the hotel.

There was nothing accidental about this.

She was an intelligent person. She didn't go running in the 90 degree heat twice as far as she normally runs in total, with no water, wallet, phone, or ID to a isolated man-made cave that is difficult to find unless you know its there.

And definitely a time of day that there would be less eyewitnesses out to begin with. Many shops even close in the afternoon because of the heat.

ETA: adding to the mystery is how nobody saw her even leave the hotel.
Good point. I forgot about "siesta" time in Europe, especially where weather is hot. Having traveled to Greece a few times,(July and August timeframe) I do remember almost melting outside during the mid afternoon. My mom and I ran from shaded area to shaded area on one tour of Ancient Corinth it was so unbearable.

Good point. I forgot about "siesta" time in Europe, especially where weather is hot. Having traveled to Greece a few times,(July and August timeframe) I do remember almost melting outside during the mid afternoon. My mom and I ran from shaded area to shaded area on one tour of Ancient Corinth it was so unbearable.

That’s exactly right. It’s deceiving when you see the high temps read as 88 degrees. I’m from TX so 88 sounds amazing. But in Greece 88 feels like 100 with the unrelenting sun day after day as it rarely rains during the summer on the islands. I rarely ever see clouds during the summer there.

Very disturbing. Seems like foreigners are targeted. This sounds like a serial killer. There was one recently in Cyprus that targeted foreigners.

Seventh victim of Cyprus serial killer found
In two cases of Bulgarian women listed above (Desislava Ilieva and Antonina Zoeva) their respective boyfriends were suspected (one committed suicide and the other was charged).

And these 2 women went missing only 2 days apart. Most likely from an outside location, one running (reportedly) and the other carrying a beach bag so was she on the beach? Or traveling to Santorini as the link says is a possibility. Wonder if that was followed up on?
There is a 200km distance between these two cases. At least one perp seems to be a local.

More information about the area where the body was found

What is the German bunker in Kolimbari where the American biologist was found?

Τι είναι τα Γερμανικά πολυβολεία στο Κολυμπάρι όπου βρέθηκε η Αμερικανίδα βιολόγος | Photos + Video - zarpanews.gr

At 60 meters from the entrance of the cave and with signs of sepsis, the corpse of the American biologist
Σε 60 μέτρα από την είσοδο της σπηλιάς και με ίχνη σήψης βρέθηκε το πτώμα της Αμερικανίδας βιολόγου | Photos + Video - zarpanews.gr

"For his part, Nicholas Papaleonidas, Empress, Deputy Governor of the 3rd EMAK of Crete said: "The entrance leading to the tunnel was about 100 meters from the rural road, while the corpse was found in about 60 meters, in a not visible spot. We were led by the police at the entrance to the cave, which led through various tunnels and labyrinthine routes to the point where the woman's corpse was."

Last edited:
I live in Greece. Europe has been having its hottest summer in decades, there was a heatwave warning for 1-5 July. Here in Greece no-one but professional athletes jogs in the afternoon during the summer months, it's just too hot and uncomfortable and there are frequent warnings in the news to protect ourselves from heatstrokes so we're taught from an early age to avoid the afternoon hours for any sport-related activity other than swimming. However Dr. Eaton did go jogging the previous day at the same time and apparently didn't have any problems. There was a strong westerly breeze (25-31 MPH) around Kolymbari so perhaps she felt it safe to stick to her running routine.

It's unlikely she suffered a heatstroke anyway nor is it likely that she may have willingly gone into the bunker to explore it. Τhis is the bunker where she was found:

I have a question if anybody is able to answer, and pardon my American naivete/geographical ignorance: Is there a rough comparison one could make to Crete in America? Basically an analog city or state in the USA matching the geographic size and population of Crete? All I really know is it's an island. Just curious about what the chances/statistics are of one person being responsible for all these, or if it's a very densely populated area where there could easily be multiple offenders working at once.

I live in Greece. Europe has been having its hottest summer in decades, there was a heatwave warning for 1-5 July. Here in Greece no-one but professional athletes jogs in the afternoon during the summer months, it's just too hot and uncomfortable and there are frequent warnings in the news to protect ourselves from heatstrokes so we're taught from an early age to avoid the afternoon hours for any sport-related activity other than swimming. However Dr. Eaton did go jogging the previous day at the same time and apparently didn't have any problems. There was a strong westerly breeze (25-31 MPH) around Kolymbari so perhaps she felt it safe to stick to her running routine.

It's unlikely she suffered a heatstroke anyway nor is it likely that she may have willingly gone into the bunker to explore it. Τhis is the bunker where she was found:

Welcome Citydancer. Thank you for your insight!

This may be a bit of a stretch but may she of been mistaken as German since she lived and worked in Germany? Hate crime? Placed in a former Nazi bunker off the beaten path?

Edited for grammar.

ETA: I have noticed with my conversations with Greeks that Germans are not viewed positively, especially with the severe austerity on Greece that Germany has supported.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ClueCrusader