Grocery shopping tips during Coronavirus quarantine

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Did some online stocking up today, we live in hurricane area so it won’t go to waste. Hopefully everything will get here before it hits the fan (if it does).
100 pounds of dry dog food, my dogs normally are fed a balanced raw diet but that may not be possible. During Harvey I was good for the week that it happened but the following week when we were stuck at the house, things got difficult.

Found some N95 respirators at my small local building supply store. Bought half of what they had in stock, didn’t want to look like I was panicking, also a handful of their small hand sanitizers. Claimed flu season.

I should be good on OTC and don’t have any Rx drugs. Musinex, Benadryl, Imodium, Pepto, ibuprofen, NyQuil and Emergen-C.

I have diapers and baby wipes (and no small children), chlorox wipes, bleach pods, borax, washing soda, fels naphtha soap.

Water filtration system (Aqua Rain) that produces up to 3 gallons of water per day plus containers to store it in.

16 laying hens, 20 laying ducks and 2 laying geese should keep me in eggs as a fail safe for food. We will stock up on as much feed as I safely can. I don’t want the mice getting to it by storing it anywhere but my feed room. Again, lesson learned in Harvey, generally only keep a weeks worth of feed on hand.

going to make one more trip to the grocery for the basics. As long as we have electricity I can bake bread. Need to fill up all the gas cans and plan on keeping the cars full or no less than half for the generator.

2 weeks of non perishable rations for two people if we manage to eat the rest of the food in the house. I grew up very poor with very little food in the house. Keeping the pantry and freezers full is my thing. Fed 4 of us for two weeks during Harvey and it barely put a dent in it. Fresh fruit and veggies were an issue so I’ll stock up on some frozen. Again hopefully their is no issues with the power. There will always be eggs and if I have to I do have male birds I can harvest.

I have ~90 rolls of toilet paper in the house now too..lol.
I only have 7 chickens, but they can keep us alive for a long time! I’m constantly giving eggs away. Making sure we have an extra bag of feed here, too.

Can you please supply the link for the disposable face shields? TIA
I order my lab safety equipment through Uline. They have n95 masks but will only sell to existing customers who have ordered in the past. Face shields, goggles, wipes, etc.. Shipping isn’t cheap but it can give you an idea of products out there.

I’m still catching up in here, so haven’t seen if there are any notes from the Q&A portion of this morning’s WHO PC; I’m not sure if our fabulous @dixiegirl1035 got a chance to transcribe, but I wanted to note that I thought the last ten minutes of comments by Dr. Mike were quite informative:

Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Emergency #6

There is supposed to be more information from the UN PC with reporters posted at around 5 pm today on WHO’s twitter.

Also, making a note that the California hearing re: Costa Mesa is due to undergo a ruling at 2pm today.

Additionally, a Chinese conference was conducted today, so would like to find the transcript for that, if not already posted. It was said to have been disseminated to the reporters today via the WHO conference.

No, no more notes, sorry. During the presser, I was redoing my entire pantry due to try to fit in all I purchased during yesterday's hording grocery trip.

No, no more notes, sorry. During the presser, I was redoing my entire pantry due to try to fit in all I purchased during yesterday's hoarding grocery trip.

I just did a pandemic shopping trip too. It feels a bit silly, but better silly than sorry. I noticed a couple of other people doing the same thing, but most people were just picking up supplies for dinner.

What did you buy for pandemic shopping?

The list is long, but mostly dry, canned, frozen, pickled foods plus nuts, juice, ginger root and other odd things. It's food I would normally buy every day or two, rather than all at once for a month.

I've read about stocking up on water and batteries, but China does not have a power shortage, so I'm going to assume that everything else will go on as normal with a virus outbreak.

I just did our big non perishable trip. Found a few things I didn’t know I needed like tetra packs of milk. We don’t usually buy that kind of stuff but I figure I can put it to use if we don’t need it. I saw a few others shopping buying lots of water, toilet paper, canned goods..if you were pandemic shopping in Baytown at the HEB this evening I gave you a nod.

I wonder about the numbers coming out of China. Do they include the new cases in the buildings that are already quarantined and locked up or are the new cases people found in other buildings that they are then putting under quarantine? I don’t necessarily believe their numbers regardless but I am curious how they are getting there.

I just did our big non perishable trip. Found a few things I didn’t know I needed like tetra packs of milk. We don’t usually buy that kind of stuff but I figure I can put it to use if we don’t need it. I saw a few others shopping buying lots of water, toilet paper, canned goods..if you were pandemic shopping in Baytown at the HEB this evening I gave you a nod.

I wonder about the numbers coming out of China. Do they include the new cases in the buildings that are already quarantined and locked up or are the new cases people found in other buildings that they are then putting under quarantine? I don’t necessarily believe their numbers regardless but I am curious how they are getting there.

Funny story about my $422 P pantry hoarding trip last night. I got to the checkout at 11:40, and .........where's the checkout people? LOL at that time of night, it was ONLY self checkout available. I found a manager and said...um, self checkout is absolutely not happening here. They had to get someone to open a register and another person to bag. I had done such a good job of putting everything well packed in my cart I should have taken a picture... and out the bag man (aka a stocker who the manager found in the aisles) went to my car with 3 carts after bagging.

Who knew that registers shut down at grocery stores at 11 pm lol and only have self checkout.

I’ve been doing some stock up trips at Costco, Target and Walmart this past week. Toilet paper, paper goods, canned goods, coffee, Pedialite, vitamins, and OTC counter meds. Southern Wisconsin area.
I’ve seen NO ONE who seemed to be stocking up too. I felt like a bit of an alarmist, but don’t care. The only items I have a hard time finding are the medical masks. I did find N95 masks at Home Depot. $9 for pack of two, and only 3 packs left.
Still have more shopping to do.

I’ve been doing some stock up trips at Costco, Target and Walmart this past week. Toilet paper, paper goods, canned goods, coffee, Pedialite, vitamins, and OTC counter meds. Southern Wisconsin area.
I’ve seen NO ONE who seemed to be stocking up too. I felt like a bit of an alarmist, but don’t care. The only items I have a hard time finding are the medical masks. I did find N95 masks at Home Depot. $9 for pack of two, and only 3 packs left.

I think all of us who are pandemic shopping feel a bit like alarmists, but the only down side is that we have fully stocked shelves that will last a month. I did an earlier trip two weeks ago, but I didn't have enough variety in what I bought. Now there is choice!

Here's an article about preparing for quarantine. Very prescient - it was written in 2017 and talks about Ebola !

How to Prep For a Quarantine - Preparedness Advice

CDC Dr. Nancy's comments today were enough to convince me the CDC is really thinking about and working through the issue.
Great info! The "34 Foods You Need..." article made me realize that I am completely clueless and need to just move in with the person who wrote it instead. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Patturelli