Grocery shopping tips during Coronavirus quarantine

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
OM Goodness. Unbelievable. I got the absolute last 95 masks at Home Depot. I was in the hardware department (not paint), looking at masks when a kindly employee gave me the last two. What a nice man.
The 95 masks cover up to 300 nanometers & the virus is 120 nanometers meanings that if the fires slips out which it will in a sneeze or cough it still infectious. I do believe that's why it's going to the vents threw out the Diamond Princess and spreading so rapidly and probably mutating them... Jmo

Ive been preparing for weeks...cant get enough food and tp lol. I am sincerely not impressed with who or cdc.jmo dont b scared b prepared...tho its already to late for masks it seems
I hear ya! After several shopping trips and a few Amazon orders, I have drugs, OTC meds, food, paper products, cleaning products and cat food stocked for 4-5 weeks. I am giving up on searching for masks though. Plan to avoid people. If going out and about is absolutely necessary, will wrap a long pashmina scarf around head and mouth, plop wear-over sun glasses on my eyes. Done!

I wish I could stock up on goodies like chocolate, but I’ve learned I can’t be trusted with them in the house at night. :oops:

Yep. We all know what happened to my first supply of “emergency ice cream”. Got into it at night and woke up sick to my tummy. That’s why I haven’t gone back to get more ice cream. Can’t be trusted.

ETA:

I know, right?

I'm like a squirrel on crack if I think there is one chocolate bar from 6 months ago still left in the back of the cupboard

ROTF!!! I know exactly what you mean!!!!

Frozen fruit, people.

This means to me that people are finally paying attention. If you've not started shopping for a possible self quarantine for at least several weeks, right now is the time. I keep mentioning dollar stores, however, it's amazing what you can obtain there for cheap!
ETA Japan closing ALL of it's schools is huge. It will affect 12.5 million children, starting today. Wow.

True - Not a rumor - Mountain House Survival foods is no longer accepting any orders, in any form or fashion, until they "establish inventory levels."....moo

Been trying to keep up but life getting in the way. LOL

Wanted to share a tip about the light blue color type of rubber disposable gloves that I love as compared to the normal white ones that leave a powdery residue on your hands.

I find these light blue colored ones go on super easy and they dont rip or tear like the white ones do when I try to put them on.

The kind I got are called "Equate (brand) Nitrile Examination gloves. I really like these kind and I shared about a week ago that I mainly like to use them when grocery shopping because I dont trust the handles of the shopping cart for any germs. Especially since there is a fold down child seat in the area near the front and I gross myself out thinking about dirty bottoms of young children sitting there in that spot and knawing on the handle like a pacifier. LOL

Below is a link with similar Nitrile blue colored gloves.

https://www.medicalsupplydepot.com/...MIsvmEhrDy5wIVTfDACh2Q2Q-REAQYBCABEgJxoPD_BwE

Ya I like the nitrile blue, no powder, gloves.
No skin reactions.

Can you take a pic and share of the label on the masks you use for work?
Unfortunately I can't take a picture because I'm not currently at work and even when I get back to work I can't. They have been removed from floor stock and are only available for patients that are symptomatic or have had exposure (of covid-19 or another communicable disease). I believe all health care facilities are protecting the stock that they have on hand.

I can tell you that they are Kimberly Clark N95-46767 NIOSH TC-84A-0010. (I have my fit test confirmation card in my wallet). ;)

my husband and I are going tomorrow morning to stock up and look for masks
if we find masks, I'm getting some for my elderly parents and young nieces and a large extended family
and I'm immune-compromised so I'll be wearing a mask to go shopping ... should be interesting to see people running away from me

BBM

I’m sure all of us on this thread stocking up on supplies will keep the economy going. :D

Tonight at Costco, there were no paper towels, hardly any toilet paper left, and the bottled water aisle was almost empty, too.

You could tell what was popular: Canned corn, canned green beans, peanut butter, some kinds of flavored water ( I can't keep them straight), chili, pasta, marinara sauce. I wasn't looking for perishables, so I didn't get over to that side of life.

Tonight at Costco, there were no paper towels, hardly any toilet paper left, and the bottled water aisle was almost empty, too.

You could tell what was popular: Canned corn, canned green beans, peanut butter, some kinds of flavored water ( I can't keep them straight), chili, pasta, marinara sauce. I wasn't looking for perishables, so I didn't get over to that side of life.
Where are you? In the U.S.? What state, city? Only asking because now I’m concerned. I was in our Walmart today and it was nothing like that. I need to read up on this more.

I hope our shopping excursion locally (not Costco) goes better than this. We have well-stocked emergency kits for having to leave our home or shelter in place, but you can never have too much TP and our emergency food needs replenishing. I will have to twist DH’s arm to stock up but he’ll thank me later...or not. :D

Where are you? In the U.S.? What state, city? Only asking because now I’m concerned. I was in our Walmart today and it was nothing like that. I need to read up on this more.

Tahoe. Nearest Costco is in Carson City, NV. The Wild West

We're only about 100 miles from the UC Davis Medical Center in Sacramento. Maybe that's part of it.

My monthly medicines delivery just arrived. Normally they stand at the door for a minute to verify name and address, and then ask me to sign their digital device.

This time she came to the door, stood 2 feet back and stretched her arm out and pushed the meds bag into my hand and then she was gone!

Maybe she's in a rush, but I am wondering if she's panicked that she might get Covid-19!

I'm wondering about supermarket deliveries over here, too, really. They've recently stopped bagging shopping in bags and you have to stand for ages unpacking the pallets/crates one item at a time, and then again you have to sign the electronic device. That's not going to work for people who are in self-isolation for suspected or actual Covid-19...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Patturelli