Grocery shopping tips during Coronavirus quarantine

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I also worry about ppl trying to get groceries like they normally do each week and seeing the empty shelves. Stores currently cant keep up with the demand.

Many here on the thread have done our best to "flatten the curve" and have purchased earlier than others so that the stores could resupply for the next stage of folks. For Walmart, HomeDepot, Kroger, etc.(who have good logistics and feedback to suppliers daily/immediately on sales) they have info to feed back to manufacturers to ramp it up on certain items. It's almost a curve like the virus itself.

Many here on the thread have done our best to "flatten the curve" and have purchased earlier than others so that the stores could resupply for the next stage of folks. For Walmart, HomeDepot etc.(who have good logistics and feedback to suppliers daily/immediately on sales) they have info to feed back to manufacturers to ramp it up on certain items. It's almost a curve like the virus itself.
And some of us are preparing with what we got - I made two big batches of homemade soup last night and packed containers in the freezer. That will be good if we get too sick to cook or go out. We love fermented food, so I'm increasing what I have fermenting - and that is a good way to preserve produce and have "fresh" food to eat if you can't shop. YUM - and healthy. I'm planning on making extra bread today and freeze some loaves.

So far my only "panic" purchases are extra coffee (which will keep a long time, though I will drink it all up, lol) and hand sanitizer, which is not a regular purchase for me. I only got one mini container, though, but have ingredients on hand to make our own. Not difficult.

We'll be okay.

jmo

I encourage ppl to check on elderly neighbors and their parents to make sure they have the things they need. I made sure my parents were well stocked at their home in Texas so they can stay put for awhile with out having to venture in any store.

Ofcourse.....the opportunists rear their greedy heads

Amazon removed 1 million items for coronavirus-related price gouging

From CNN's Jordan Valinsky

Amazon says it has pulled more than 1 million products for price gouging or falsely advertising effectiveness against the coronavirus.

This action comes after Wired found sellers gouging the prices of coronavirus-related products, like face masks, or charging people "exorbitant shipping costs," according to the magazine.

The company said in a statement that it has "always required sellers provide accurate information" on product pages and removes those that violates its policies. Amazon said that third-party sellers must follow its Fair Pricing Policy, which states companies can't set a price "significantly higher" then seen in other places or sell an item that "misleads customers."

"We are disappointed that bad actors are attempting to artificially raise prices on basic need products during a global health crisis and, in line with our long-standing policy, have recently blocked or removed tens of thousands of offers," an Amazon (AMZN) spokesperson told CNN Business. "We continue to actively monitor our store and remove offers that violate our policies."

Ofcourse.....the opportunists rear their greedy heads

Amazon removed 1 million items for coronavirus-related price gouging

I find this quite commendable by Amazon.

They must be experiencing a tremendous increase in orders right now. Well maybe from my Zipcode area....

Incidentally, Amazon makes very little from their on-line sales business. It's their server storage capacity worldwide that makes them most of their money.

I ordered a new thermometer and covers, last n8ght. They arrived this morning.

I find this quite commendable by Amazon.

They must be experiencing a tremendous increase in orders right now. Well maybe from my Zipcode area....

Incidentally, Amazon makes very little from their on-line sales business. It's their server storage capacity worldwide that makes them most of their money.

Many here on the thread have done our best to "flatten the curve" and have purchased earlier than others so that the stores could resupply for the next stage of folks. For Walmart, HomeDepot, Kroger, etc.(who have good logistics and feedback to suppliers daily/immediately on sales) they have info to feed back to manufacturers to ramp it up on certain items. It's almost a curve like the virus itself.
Yup. I "flattened the curve" three weeks ago when I bought out Walmart's trail mix and white chocolate chips.

Hi everyone,
The panic has started!
I just came home from Costco in Lynnwood,WA. it borders Everett.
I went there hoping to pickup water, toilet-paper, sanitizing wipes and purell hand sanitizer.
They are out of everything I needed.
4 large pallets of toilet-paper were delivered Sunday unfortunately people were grabbing all stock on hand and everything was gone within a few hours. I noticed two ladies with a hugh stockpiles of water leaving costco. Inside the warehouse everything taken. I asked the manager if they were limiting stock on hand. Per the manager a sign was posted limiting 10 cases of water per member. It was wiped out in a short amount of time.

In our area 6 people have now died from coronavirus. I don't know what to think at this point. I have to attempt I'm
scared.

Hi everyone,
The panic has started!
I went there hoping to pickup water, toilet-paper, sanitizing wipes and purell hand sanitizer.
4 large pallets of toilet-paper were delivered Sunday unfortunately people were grabbing all stock on hand and everything was gone within a few hours. I noticed two ladies with a hugh stockpiles of water leaving costco. Inside the warehouse everything taken. I asked the manager if they were limiting stock on hand. Per the manager a sign was posted limiting 10 cases of water per member. It was wiped out in a short amount of time.

In our area 6 people have now died from coronavirus. I don't know what to think at this point. I have to attempt I'm
scared.
I’m so sorry about the deaths in your area bookthinker.

Today I’ve felt a bit panicked as well after having gone shopping. (No deaths yet in my county, but 9 cases). Shelves are bare, and stores were very crowded- and people seemed very irritable for the first time since this started.

At a certain point I am hoping that there will be public uprising of self-quarantine if more drastic measures aren’t taken in these two “hotspots”.

MOO.

Last week, I ordered something I never thought about but with my lung condition and Doctor Campbell Posts on such, I purchased it. A pulse oximeter.

r!View attachment 235735
Hmm. My son (age 15) has asthma so this might be handy to have on hand (or finger, as the case may be! LOL) regardless of the coronavirus situation. I did a quick Amazon search and they are very reasonably priced.

So Colorado here, where (in theory) the risk is still low. I went to a local Dollar Tree and they were out of hand sanitizer. I didn't check anything else except for shelf-stable milk, which they had. I decided not to buy it since I can eat my breakfast oatmeal with water, if necessary. No shortages at the grocery store that I noticed. I bought a big bag of rice to store with some canned goods if we have to semi-isolate. We are retired and have no known comorbidities but...

I have never been so conscious in all my life about how much I touch things when I shop.

Hi everyone,
The panic has started!

scared.
Go to Amazon for TP. They will ship to you in 2 days...

So Colorado here, where (in theory) the risk is still low. I went to a local Dollar Tree and they were out of hand sanitizer. I didn't check anything else except for shelf-stable milk, which they had. I decided not to buy it since I can eat my breakfast oatmeal with water, if necessary. No shortages at the grocery store that I noticed. I bought a big bag of rice to store with some canned goods if we have to semi-isolate. We are retired and have no known comorbidities but..

I see no reason to deprive myself of things I enjoy, so I bought UHT milk just so I can enjoy it in my coffee with with my oatmeal.

I also plan on buying all sorts of other treats for myself. And some mixes so I can indulge in tasty things if I have to stay at home. So, thanks to the British Royal Family thread on WS, I be able to makes scones at home, with cream and jam !

I’m so sorry about the deaths in your area bookthinker.

Today I’ve felt a bit panicked as well after having gone shopping. (No deaths yet in my county, but 9 cases). Shelves are bare, and stores were very crowded- and people seemed very irritable for the first time since this started.

At a certain point I am hoping that there will be public uprising of self-quarantine if more drastic measures aren’t taken in these two “hotspots”.

MOO.

I haven’t done much shopping either. I did order masks last week. (Sorry). I did stock up on bottled water as I use a lot and didn’t want to have to go to the store. I got a mega thing of toilet paper but probably not enough for too long.

I stocked up on dog food and some cat food but I need more dry cat food. I stocked up on rubbing alcohol to put in spray bottles.

I am going out in public and my family does as well. I’m trying to limit it. Luckily my office is small but I’m doing more work from home.

But in the end I don’t know what I can do besides hope for the best and wash my hands and try to disinfect religiously.

I have been doing the following though:

1. Gargling with alcohol-based listerine every night for 30 seconds. I haven’t swabbed my nostrils yet because I had allergies. But that’s next.
2. Not taking out my phone in public. I just wait until I get home or to the office and can wash my hands real well first.
3. Disinfecting my phone with rubbing alcohol on a makeup cotton pad a few times a day.
4. Even more so not touching things in public with my fingers when possible. I use my knuckles or my arm or my shirt. Whatever I can do. I usually do that but not 100%. Now I’m doing that 100%.
5. I’m also trying to exercise harder to build up my lungs but that will take a few months.

The next thing I’m going to do is try to get zinc tablets to build up my immunity some. And maybe chew some garlic bulbs (yuck. I hate that so much) to try to stave off any infection. How Garlic Fights Colds and The Flu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TawnyTRC