Grocery shopping tips during Coronavirus quarantine

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
This does not bode well for my first, quite large, Instacart order to be delivered tomorrow (ordered yesterday)! I hope that our small town Safeway won’t be as stripped as your store seems to be. This could get interesting!
The order we had sent to my mother in law, 86, widow and has just gotten over lung and breast cancer
Instacart did a good job!
She sent pictures of the empty bananas. That the mission round tortilla chips were gone, but she replaced them with the triangle ones.
She texted to ask where to leave the groceries.
We tipped her 20% and my mother in law gave her $20.00.
These people are Angeles to us! They really try to do the right thing.
They deserve to be tipped well!
They are going into the viral zone for those of us that really can't!
My dad's order is due Friday.
I gave 30% tip with order and I'm sure he will tip as well.
He is 84, a widower of 20 years and not coping with being housebound for the first time in his life!
I told him if he didn't stay home, I'd come take his keys and "ground" him!
Kidding!
MOO

Who would have thought we would consider TP a welcome gift !! Or that hand sanitizer is a prize !! Be safe and well

Who would have thought that going to the grocery store was a major life event? When your governor has issued a stay-at-home warning with all but essential businesses shuttered, it's amazing how something as simple as getting food for your family becomes a road trip :D

Speaking of driving, DH was talking about gas prices with one of his customers yesterday. He mentioned that he hasn't had to put gas in either of our vehicles for at least a month. DH is also not the least bit worried about putting too many miles on his leased SUV because he isn't commuting to/from work four days a week.

Proactive Measures |

TO OUR VALUED CUSTOMERS

For 40 years, we have been honored that you have trusted us as an extension of your family to provide you the best grocery shopping experience at your neighborhood Nino’s. We care deeply about your health and well-being, and remain committed to providing a clean and safe environment for everyone. With the recent concerns about COVID-19, we want to keep you informed about the proactive steps we have taken...

It's a growing trend ! Farmers market people maybe willing to try it know !! Awesome idea . There's always growing your family favorites in pots ! Have done that on occasion. There's quite a bit of new seed hybrids for container growing. My SIL drops the bags of soil And makes an X on the top side. Great for cukes, squash tomatoes and such.

92224637_831815617300918_4130105032177614848_n.jpg

It's a growing trend ! Farmers market people maybe willing to try it know !! Awesome idea . There's always growing your family favorites in pots ! Have done that on occasion. There's quite a bit of new seed hybrids for container growing. My SIL drops the bags of soil And makes an X on the top side. Great for cukes, squash tomatoes and such.

yes I've ordered seeds and gonna try my luck at planting a few pots

I understand the concept, but it will cause more problems than it is worth.
Yeah I know. I would be afraid to cut in line because many of not most people will be unaware that Costco invited us to “cut.”

Fresh Thyme has a much better plan, their stores open 2 hours early on Tuesdays and Thursdays for emergency medical personnel and law enforcement. No cutting in line required, just show your certification as you walk in.

Bringing forward again:

“HOW TO DISINFECT GROCERIES

• Sanitize a table before bringing groceries inside
  • Establish a dirty side of the table to place groceries that are coming into the house, and a clean side to place items after they’re sanitized
  • Use a household disinfectant sprayor wipe
  • Disinfect plastic, glass and metal packaging
  • Trash unnecessary and external packaging like cardboard boxes that have plastic bags inside (the plastic bags inside boxes should be OK without additional disinfecting)
  • Some items, such as bread or chips can be dumped directly into clean plastic containers without touching them - or just disinfect the packaging
  • Clean fruit and vegetables that are not bought in plastic bags by dumping them into soapy water, and then washing/scrubbing each piece for at least 20 seconds
  • Reusable grocery bags should be considered dirty after use; plastic bags should be thrown out
“This all seems a bit time consuming, but, in truth, these days people do have a bit more time on their hands," VanWingen said. “Let’s be methodical and be safe, and not take any chances.””

Michigan doctor says leave groceries outside for 3 days if possible, shows how to disinfect

ETA: Also read analogy at above link re: “glitter”

Last edited:
It’s cheaper to buy the box - a nice white blend and a red blend - each box has 4 bottles in a plastic pouch $10.89 and then you can fill the pouch with water and freeze for hurricane season - I make sangria with them an orange grapefruit simple syrup - it’s yummy ! And super inexpensive

My Aldi favorites are Winking Owl boxed white wine, Havarti cheese, Moser Roth dark sea salt chocolate, and stroopwaffels.

I visited my local commissary (Ft. Belvoir, VA) for the first time in maybe 10 days- lines outside, someone kindly pointed out to me that I wouldn’t be allowed entry w/out a face mask, so I ran home & got one. 100% ID check, mask, & temperature taken at the entrance before letting in 20-30 people at a time. They were out of a few things, limits on some items, but I mostly needed fresh veg & fruit, & was in & out pretty quickly. It seemed pretty organized & everyone waited patiently.

My Aldi favorites are Winking Owl boxed white wine, Havarti cheese, Moser Roth dark sea salt chocolate, and stroopwaffels.

I visited my local commissary (Ft. Belvoir, VA) for the first time in maybe 10 days- lines outside, someone kindly pointed out to me that I wouldn’t be allowed entry w/out a face mask, so I ran home & got one. 100% ID check, mask, & temperature taken at the entrance before letting in 20-30 people at a time. They were out of a few things, limits on some items, but I mostly needed fresh veg & fruit, & was in & out pretty quickly. It seemed pretty organized & everyone waited patiently.

YES. You have got your priorities straight!

I keep trying and missing pick up slots for Walmart and Independent (local grocery store). Items keep selling out on me before I can decide on them in Amazon. Walmart pickup is 8 days out and no delivery here. No wonder there's panic buying and crowds still in the grocery stores.

Anyone had success in freezing, defrosting & using eggs? Mine expire on the 12th & I cant use all before then.

Do I break them into a ziplock bag? Do they need to be beaten before freezing?
Never tried this before, but found the following article informative:

How To Freeze Eggs | Fabulous Farm Girl

Before freezing, I would check the raw eggs by putting them (still in their shells) in a cup or bowl of water. If a raw egg floats to the top, it may be too old and filled with air/bacteria. I heard one of the ladies from Cook's Kitchen say that she lets her nose be the judge, but I wouldn't chance it if they float to the very top. Yours sound like they're going to be o.k. Good luck, and have fun with it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yoly1966