DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
au contraire:
Canadian Organic Growers » CSA Directories
View attachment 242555www.cog.ca › home › find-organics › ontario-csa-directory
View attachment 242554
Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) is a great way to support your local farmers by purchasing a share of the harvest at the beginning of the growing season. This program spreads the risk more evenly between farmers and consumers and helps farmers plan for the growing season.

yes someone linked it for me but it's not in my area yet

Walmart U.S. has changed their whole process since he wrote the article. Although it's always been this way in Canada.

Thanks for warning me!! He's got an "as-of-today" amendment below:

How To Get A Walmart Grocery Order Spot Every Single Time!

Also, restaurant chains selling essentials; including TP (I assume it's whatever good/adequate/hideous TP the restaurant uses 24/7, though, so exercise caution):

Complete List of Restaurants Now Selling Groceries

PS: Article on Instacart changed process, which includes the option to select "first available shopper" if you're willing to wait a few days:

Instacart Adds Features that Make It Easier to Get a Delivery Slot - Miles to Memories

British bakers reintroduce World War II bread in coronavirus fight

“As we know today, darker bread is better for you," said baker Bryce Evans.

GLASGOW — As British politicians invoke memories of World War II’s “Blitz Spirit” during the coronavirus lockdown, and many are quietly channeling the stoic resolve their elders showed in the face of enormous hardship, some in the nation’s baking community are taking a more direct cue from history.

Britain's National Loaf — a nutrient-dense whole wheat bread first produced in 1942 — has been re-emerging in recent weeks.

Today, as was the case back then, a scarcity of ingredients and a concern for public health are challenging the culinary status quo...

Thought I could withstand not shopping but I’m almost out of diced potatoes and I use them a lot. Almost out of Kumbucha too. Doing a curbside pickup. Have to wait until Tuesday to get the things but we can make it no problem until then.
Tried making homemade tortillas last night. Press didn’t work. Recipe suggested rolling them between greased parchment paper which is what I ended up doing and they were really good. So skip the press and do it the other way, no extra equipment required. It took awhile but I think they were worth it.

Walmart CEO says we're in the 'hair color' phase of panic buying - CNN

(CNN Business)First went the hand sanitizer, disinfectants and toilet paper.
Now hair clippers and hair dye are flying off shelves.
In recent weeks, Americans' shopping patterns are serving as a reflection of how the coronavirus pandemic continues to evolve and affect daily lives.
"You can definitely see that as people have stayed home, their focus shifted," Walmart CEO Doug McMillon said on the Today Show, Friday.
After stocking up on food and consumable products, shoppers turned to puzzles, games and other timeless forms of entertainment as well as education, he said.
Now, sales are showing that — without the ability to venture to a hair salon — folks are getting shaggy.

We are good. I've always cut DHs hair so we've got clippers. I had the forethought to buy hair color for me a month ago when I suspected this might happen.

I cut DH’s hair today. I had picked up one hair dye early on but I put off using it. I figured I’m not going anywhere. Then I was thinking if I used this dye now I might not have any to use when we are finally more free. LOL. I grabbed a second one before I actually dyed my hair.

I had my last hair appt the week before salons closed. So I'm waiting a couple weeks before coloring mine. It's not like anyone is going to see me. Lol.

What I'm missing are manicures. I got my gel manicure removed the day they shut down salons. I can't wait to get it back again!

Ann Arbor’s Gandy Dancer among restaurants selling groceries to make up losses

O’Fallon, Mo. — Charlene Gulliford at the Gandy Dancer never figured there would come a day when the Ann Arbor restaurant known for its steaks and seafood would sell toilet paper and cartons of eggs, but the coronavirus has restaurants in survival mode.

The popular restaurant now doubles as a grocery store, offering staples such milk and bread in addition to meats and fish from its own pantry – and yes, even paper towels and the ever-elusive toilet paper.

Sales began two weeks ago and the Gandy Dancer has found an income source to make up for some of its lost dine-in business, while also filling a need since traditional grocers are struggling to keep up with demand.

“A lot of people are saying they’re happy to support us, but a lot of people are saying, ‘Thank you for helping us,’” said Gulliford, the restaurant’s general manager...

Ann Arbor’s Gandy Dancer among restaurants selling groceries to make up losses

O’Fallon, Mo. — Charlene Gulliford at the Gandy Dancer never figured there would come a day when the Ann Arbor restaurant known for its steaks and seafood would sell toilet paper and cartons of eggs, but the coronavirus has restaurants in survival mode.

The popular restaurant now doubles as a grocery store, offering staples such milk and bread in addition to meats and fish from its own pantry – and yes, even paper towels and the ever-elusive toilet paper.

Sales began two weeks ago and the Gandy Dancer has found an income source to make up for some of its lost dine-in business, while also filling a need since traditional grocers are struggling to keep up with demand.

“A lot of people are saying they’re happy to support us, but a lot of people are saying, ‘Thank you for helping us,’” said Gulliford, the restaurant’s general manager...

When I read about dairy farmers pouring milk down drains and farmers plowing over crops, I can’t help but wonder why they can’t think of a way to better use their products than destruction. The excuse that schools are out and restaurants closed so we have no one to sell to, makes we think those children still need milk and restaurants still could buy groceries. Your example gives us an answer. It is not the first restaurant to sell its meat, seafood, tp, everything else that they use, to the public directly. Dairies could set up some type of direct distribution, as well. Someone with logistics or food industry experience must have some ideas. Farmers could think of methods where locals come out to pick crops themselves. Bring your own baskets, boxes or whatever container the public has to work with. They could charge by the container picked or perhaps pick one for you, pick one for the farm. Yours is free. Farm sells the other. Anything is better than waste.

Cross posting from main coronavirus thread. BBM.

No, You Don't Need To Disinfect Your Groceries. But Here's How To Shop Safely
(good article, IMO, on npr.org)

Excerpts:
"Many of us are still venturing out to stock up on food and toiletries. But what's the safest way to shop during this pandemic? And what should you do once you've brought your haul home?

We asked infectious disease, virology and food safety experts to share their tips about safe grocery shopping — and what you can stop worrying about.

Many people worry about the possibility of picking up the coronavirus from things like grocery store conveyor belts or cereal boxes. But every expert NPR spoke with agrees that the biggest risk when it comes to groceries is being inside the store itself with other people who may be infected."

"...Many shoppers are now following elaborate routines to disinfect their groceries, thanks to a viral video put out by a Michigan family doctor. But all of the experts we spoke with say that disinfecting and hand-washing every last item in your grocery haul is really not necessary. You might find it comforting to know that none of these experts are doing this themselves.

Rasmussen explains that the probability of getting infected from a contaminated surface is not zero, but it is fairly low. That's because respiratory droplets would have to have landed on the exact spot on, say, a box of cereal that you are touching. And even then, you'd have to get enough residual virus on your hand to start an infection — and you'd have to transfer that virus to your face."

No, You Don't Need To Disinfect Your Groceries. But Here's How To Shop Safely

When I read about dairy farmers pouring milk down drains and farmers plowing over crops, I can’t help but wonder why they can’t think of a way to better use their products than destruction. The excuse that schools are out and restaurants closed so we have no one to sell to, makes we think those children still need milk and restaurants still could buy groceries. Your example gives us an answer. It is not the first restaurant to sell its meat, seafood, tp, everything else that they use, to the public directly. Dairies could set up some type of direct distribution, as well. Someone with logistics or food industry experience must have some ideas. Farmers could think of methods where locals come out to pick crops themselves. Bring your own baskets, boxes or whatever container the public has to work with. They could charge by the container picked or perhaps pick one for you, pick one for the farm. Yours is free. Farm sells the other. Anything is better than waste.
I think the milk that was being poured out was non pasteurised raw milk. They cannot sell that milk until pasteurised, but cannot do that process themselves. JMO

I think the milk that was being poured out was non pasteurised raw milk. They cannot sell that milk until pasteurised, but cannot do that process themselves. JMO
I think you may be right. My friend has goats and she’s not allowed to sell the goat milk either. She makes soap and things with it and can sell those. She’s also a landlord and purposely rents to very poor people for a very low price. I know she’d never let them go hungry. It’s her way of giving back to her community - she’s an attorney by day.

This Peanut Butter Bread Recipe From the 1930s Has Gone Viral as People Look for an Easy Way to Bake at Home

In light of the COVID-19 pandemic, people are staying in and many have been trying to make their own bread at home. One particular recipe has been going viral on Reddit, and that’s a peanut butter bread recipe from the 1930s that doesn’t require yeast and is extremely easy to make.

The recipe first appeared on Reddit on the “Old Recipes” thread last week, and it’s a recipe from a 1932 cookbook.

I made Peanut Butter Bread from the 1932 Five Roses Flour cookbook via Glen & Friends. It’s delicious and tastes like a peanut butter cookie! (recipe in comments)

Ingredients

• 2 cups of all-purpose flour
    • 1/4 cup of sugar
    • 4 teaspoons of baking powder
    • 1/2 teaspoon of salt
    • 1 1/3 cups of milk
    • 1/2 cup of peanut butter

Instructions

• Preheat oven to 325 degrees F
    • Mix dry ingredients together
    • Mix in milk, then add peanut butter
    • Pour mixture into greased loaf pan
    • Bake about 1 hour

The Recipe Has Been a Huge Success, With Many Expressing How Easy It Is to Make

One user said they decided to try it because they ran out of bread while living in lockdown.

display

Just heard a national news story on the radio regarding Instacart shoppers. Apparently Instacart users are offering large tips to get shoppers to pick up their orders, then changing the tip to zero after the groceries were delivered.

When you use Instacart you have up to three days after delivery to change your tip.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IndigoRose