*GUILTY*Randy Allen Taylor on Trial for the murder of Alexis Murphy 1 May 2014

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
My biggest question is, for them to charge him with murder, doesn't there have to be undeniable physical evidence proving that 1) Alexis lost an unrecoverable volume of blood, 2) There is enough physical evidence to place her in his trailer and his DNA physically returning her car to the lot.

No, not necessarily.

For a MWAB (murder without a body), you DO need to prove that the person is dead beyond a reasonable doubt, but there are ways to do that besides having a large amount of blood or something like that.

Here are some of the ways that a prosecutor can prove the person is dead, without needing a large amount of blood or brain matter or whatever:

1. Certain bodily fluids are only released when a person is dead. Those fluids being present mean that a (decomposing) corpse was in the house at some point.
  2. Cadaver dogs hit on the house.
  3. There is physical evidence that points to a violent - and presumably fatal - altercation. In this case, Alexis's eyelashes, torn hair extensions and fake nail (which were all found in Taylor's camper) prove there was a violent struggle. If a large amount of blood (but not necessarily enough to say conclusively that the person is dead) was found, that also backs up the theory that the victim lost their life in a violent manner.
  4. The person's disappearance is 100% out of character. It helps if the person was a devoted parent, had something big to look forward to (a wedding, graduation etc.) In this case, Alexis was very involved in social media, but her accounts had no more posts on them from after the moment she disappeared.
  5. The circumstances of their disappearance would lead a reasonable juror to believe that the person is dead. There was one case on CharleyProject where witnesses had seen the woman (whose name I can't remember) being beat up and then thrown into a car by her boyfriend, who then sped away with her. She was never heard from again. Her body wasn't found for years, but said boyfriend was soon convicted of her murder and eventually led police to her remains.
  6. The defendant has a history of violence against people fitting the victim's profile (say, against girlfriends, teenaged girls etc.). If you have a history of beating up your girlfriends and one of them ends up mysteriously disappearing, chances are that it was probably because of you.
  7. You can prove that the person is capable of extreme violence, had the opportunity (no alibi), and you can establish a believable motive.
  8. You can establish a pattern. Unless you're really unlucky, two teenaged girls you know don't disappear under suspicious circumstances immediately after being seen talking to you. Most people don't know one person missing under suspicious circumstances, let alone two.

There are a few other things prosecutors can use to prove a missing person is dead, but I don't want to bore anyone, haha. Hope this helps.

ETA: In Alexis's case, you have points #3, #4, #5, #7 (the alibi and probably motive parts), and #8. I don't know if cadaver dogs were ever used.

Parker Slaybaugh ‏@Parker8News 3m
Court has adjourned for lunch. The day started with the judge lecturing members of the media for filming the jury as the left the courtroom. He says 2 media outlets did this (WRIC was NOT one of those 2) . The majority of the testimony this morning has been forensic things. The nail, hair on pillow, blood on shirt, eye lashes, and hair balled up in the shirt all was a near certain match to Alexis Murphy. The shirt with the blood also contained Taylor's DNA, however it can't be certain that his DNA came from blood. Taylor's shirt that had blood on it was first seen on Aug. 11th when a search warrant was being used to look for cell phones in his camper. An agent saw it, then authorities left to get a new warrant that included the shirt and came back the next day to collect the shirt into evidence.... http://fb.me/6ycCG2wvX

Migmuu, that was just awesome! That answered my question 100% completely!

Ok, what is the timeline again. Alexis went missing on X date at 7:00 PM and the car was returned the next night??? at 10:00 PM?

justin faulconer ‏@jrfaulconer 5m
FBI examiner says in court the hair showed characteristics of being "forcibly removed" but he could not determine the type of force

No, not necessarily.

For a MWAB (murder without a body), you DO need to prove that the person is dead beyond a reasonable doubt, but there are ways to do that besides having a large amount of blood or something like that.

Here are some of the ways that a prosecutor can prove the person is dead, without needing a large amount of blood or brain matter or whatever:

1. Certain bodily fluids are only released when a person is dead. Those fluids being present mean that a (decomposing) corpse was in the house at some point.
  2. Cadaver dogs hit on the house.
  3. There is physical evidence that points to a violent - and presumably fatal - altercation. In this case, Alexis's eyelashes, torn hair extensions and fake nail (which were all found in Taylor's camper) prove there was a violent struggle. If a large amount of blood (but not necessarily enough to say conclusively that the person is dead) was found, that also backs up the theory that the victim lost their life in a violent manner.
  4. The person's disappearance is 100% out of character. It helps if the person was a devoted parent, had something big to look forward to (a wedding, graduation etc.) In this case, Alexis was very involved in social media, but her accounts had no more posts on them from after the moment she disappeared.
  5. The circumstances of their disappearance would lead a reasonable juror to believe that the person is dead. There was one case on CharleyProject where witnesses had seen the woman (whose name I can't remember) being beat up and then thrown into a car by her boyfriend, who then sped away with her. She was never heard from again. Her body wasn't found for years, but said boyfriend was soon convicted of her murder and eventually led police to her remains.
  6. The defendant has a history of violence against people fitting the victim's profile (say, against girlfriends, teenaged girls etc.). If you have a history of beating up your girlfriends and one of them ends up mysteriously disappearing, chances are that it was probably because of you.
  7. You can prove that the person is capable of extreme violence, had the opportunity (no alibi), and you can establish a believable motive.
  8. You can establish a pattern. Unless you're really unlucky, two teenaged girls you know don't disappear under suspicious circumstances immediately after being seen talking to you. Most people don't know one person missing under suspicious circumstances, let alone two.

There are a few other things prosecutors can use to prove a missing person is dead, but I don't want to bore anyone, haha. Hope this helps.

ETA: In Alexis's case, you have points #3, #4, #5, #7 (the alibi and probably motive parts), and #8. I don't know if cadaver dogs were ever used.

Thanks, Migmuu!

This list is very informative and helpful!

:seeya:

FBI examiner says in court the hair showed characteristics of being "forcibly removed" but he could not determine the type of force

Maybe a WSer here with experience in wearing the type of hair extensions Alexis wore (if known) can share with us how difficult/easy it is to have hair extensions forcibly removed?

TIA...:seeya:

No problem! Feel free to ask me if you have any more questions

Maybe a WSer here with experience in wearing the type of hair extensions Alexis wore (if known) can share with us how difficult/easy it is to have hair extensions forcibly removed?

TIA...:seeya:

I know they are sewn, glued or clipped onto your natural hair and are meant to stay in for quite some time.
Googled this: extensions how hard to pull out

Parker Slaybaugh ‏@Parker8News 38s
Judge does not allow a stack of photos of adult *advertiser censored* that was found in Taylor's trailer to be shown to the jury A few other photos have already been admitted and shown to jury..... http://fb.me/2KkxnUsOd

C-VILLE News Desk ‏@cvillenews_desk 2h
#RandyTaylor trial day 3 focuses on forensic testimony. No evidence of sexual assault and no sign of Taylor in #AlexisMurphy's car.

that made me wince. :(

C-VILLE News Desk ‏@cvillenews_desk 2h
#RandyTaylor trial day 3 focuses on forensic testimony. No evidence of sexual assault and no sign of Taylor in #AlexisMurphy's car.

no sign of him in the car?
Oh and the hair extensions- my friend has the kind that clips in. Do we know what kind AM had?

I want to know if Alexi's DNA was found in his vehicle.

justin faulconer ‏@jrfaulconer 1m
Aug. 5 interview recorded outside Randy Taylor's camper played in court. It was recorded 9:02 pm, two days after Alexis Murphy vanished

justin faulconer ‏@jrfaulconer 58s
In tape Taylor denied seeing Murphy at the Liberty gas station Aug. 3. "I don't remember seeing that girl up there at all," his voice says.

C-VILLE News Desk ‏@cvillenews_desk 1m
#RandyTaylor told police he didn't remember going to the Liberty gas station on day #AlexisMurphy disappeared.

C-VILLE News Desk ‏@cvillenews_desk 2m
In recorded police interview at his camper, #RandyTaylor tells police he'd never seen #AlexisMurphy

justin faulconer ‏@jrfaulconer 45s
Taylor claims to have gone to Madison Heights Sheetz on Aug. 3. Investigator says surveillance did not capture image of him or his car

I'm not sure where exactly he parked his vehicle. I will stop by there this afternoon on my way home and try it in different areas. I know that I have picked up the signal at the gas pumps. I have parked my car behind the gas pumps to run into the store and the signal is picked up there as well. I have a feeling that he was parked in the corner furthest from the store. I will park there and try it in different areas of the parking lot.

The Wifi is accessible throughout the parking lot. It picked up in several different locations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member