Gun Control Debate #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes!! Civic engagement at its best. I'm proud of these kids and young adults, and their parents, and school staff and the community — speaking out in what they believe in. *insert American flag emoticon here*

:loveyou:

Soon these kids will be voting.

That may work where you live but in the United States politicians (no matter what party) don't give a crap about emotional pleas. They care about votes. These kids don't represent many votes.

These kids, thousands and thousands of them, will be voters the moment they turn 18 and we should not write them off because of their youth. Their ideas and perspectives should be welcome, not dismissed.

The previous president already tried -twice- to put better gun laws in place. I believe with the right approach and with research/data to back that up US citizens can do the same with the current president, no matter how much money he is getting donated by the NRA.

If politicians only care about votes as you say, fine, let's help them understand that the future generations of voters won't back them up if they do not think of their safety and wellbeing as their top priority when passing legislation.

Does Britain or Australia have the equivalent of the Second Amendment?

I'm not sure on that but according to link they made gun laws more strict so not sure why that would have anything to do with the second amendment.

I didn't post that you said anything. I thanked you for the link and asked a question. You were not required to respond.

I told Tricia that I had doubts about creating this thread. I can sense the hostility towards me building already.

Then I misunderstood what you were asking, and apologize. No “hostility” was intended.

What? I think you're being sarcastic?

There are common-sense regulations we can apply to make legal gun owners more accountable and to keep better track of stolen firearms, like mandatory reporting. I mentioned it upthread. Like you mentioned previously, and we agreed on, enforcing the laws we do have in that regard is a good place to start.

I'm not being sarcastic.

This call for "common sense" gun control is BS. Creating greater expense and undo hassles for law abiding citizens who wish to protect themselves is not the answer.

Did you read my first post of this thread? Take a look at it. It makes much more sense than the rhetoric about "common sense" regulations. We need to concentrate on the criminals and the mentally ill using guns,

Isn't the problem in this case someone who again was mentally ill shooting at a school, and not a criminal that stole a gun from somewhere else?
This thread is about gun control as far as I know.

I kind of doubt that.

Why would you doubt that? This seems to be an actively involved student body. If we could check in 10 years, I would be willing to be the majority of them will be registered voters and utilizing that right, JMO

I think that I'm being realistic.

I don't want to put words in your mouth but do you think this will pass and they will give up?
I'm really proud of them at such a young age for taking a stand.

I'm not being sarcastic.

This call for "common sense" gun control is BS. Creating greater expense and undo hassles for law abiding citizens who wish to protect themselves is not the answer.

Did you read my first post of this thread? Take a look at it. It makes much more sense than the rhetoric about "common sense" regulations. We need to concentrate on the criminals and the mentally ill using guns,

Can we add ... not making guns so easily accessible to everyone? We have stricter controls for drivers licenses than for guns, also stricter controls for food safety, stricter controls for voting registration, and on and on. Tightening the rules and enforce them woukd be my hope.

How is this appropriate?

Third-graders are selling AR-15 raffle tickets in Missouri

Third-graders in a Missouri community are continuing to sell raffle tickets for an AR-15 to benefit their traveling baseball team after the same type of rifle was used to slaughter and injure dozens at a Florida school.

Levi Patterson, the coach of a 9-and-under baseball team in Neosho, Mo., told The Star the idea was conceived before the shooting in Parkland, Fla.

A father of one of the players — who co-founded Black Rain Ordnance Inc., a weapons purveyor in Neosho — offered the weapon for the raffle.

Patterson said by phone Saturday that he considered finding a different raffle item after Wednesday’s mass shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School, but ultimately decided to “turn it into a positive thing” after “getting the hate.”

http://www.kansascity.com/news/state/missouri/article200763099.html

Tens of thousands more die from firearms in America than from vigilantes or terrorists, domestic or otherwise, driving vehicles into crowds. That's a false analogy.

What's worse is even more complete suicide with firearms in this country than the tens of thousands who die from firearm homicide, including mass shootings. Even in 2017, when more than 500 were injured in a mass shooting in Vegas.

But yes, there does seem to be a surge in domestic terror actions in the U.S. Maybe better regulating their access to high-power firearms is a good place to start.

Who knows? My bet is it will save some lives. Research indicates as much.

MOO

I agree, and i would think out of such a very large American population most Americans are still responsible gun owners.
If someone gets crazy and there is no intervention in treating their illness that person will find a way to act out their impulses.
It's not just guns, they are also driving vehicles into crowds of people as well as we have seen previously on the news, and that is happening globally.

Here's where I have a problem with more gun control....was it legal to have a gun in the school? NO! If that law was broken, don't you think others are as well? Isn't murder already illegal? Yet that didn't stop the killing!
I sure don't have all the answers and based upon the most recent killings, I'm not sure there is an answer. I mean the daggone FBI was notified ,and yet THEY couldn't or didn't stop this. Local police has been very involved with this family, yet that didn't prevent this. This young man was receiving mental health help, yet when it probably was most needed, when his Mom died, he either wasn't support, wasn't taken to the appointments, refused to go, or whatever happened but the help stopped.

And just so we are clear, AR does NOT stand for assault rifle. I'm not sure I agree that people need them, but for ones that already own them, are you going door to door and confiscate them? Even if they are banned, there's so many already in the public domain that I don't know if it would do any good. And IMO, the illegals, you know the gangs, drug lords etc, already have them. So who is going to trace every one purchased in the US and confiscate each one? Only the legal law abiding citizens would be voluntarily turning them in. Those with criminal minds will continue to own them.

Huzzah, Spellz! Preach it. Thank you.

Can we add ... not making guns so easily accessible to everyone? We have stricter controls for drivers licenses than for guns, also stricter controls for food safety, stricter controls for voting registration, and on and on. Tightening the rules and enforce them woukd be my hope.

I'm not sure on that but according to link they made gun laws more strict so not sure why that would have anything to do with the second amendment.
They don't have the equivalent of the Second Amendment. That's why they are able to have much stricter gun laws than the United States.

I'm not being sarcastic.

If the added “hassles” is not worth their effort, then even law-abiding citizens apparently don’t even need that gun. Lives saved are worth the hassle.

JMO

Does Britain or Australia have the equivalent of the Second Amendment?

Bit of info here on Australia
(quote)
How are human rights protected in Australian law?

In Australia, human rights are protected in different ways. Unlike most similar liberal democracies, Australia has no Bill of Rights to protect human rights in a single document.

Rather rights may be found in the Constitution, common law and legislation - Acts passed by the Commonwealth Parliament or State or Territory Parliaments.
Australia's Constitution
https://www.humanrights.gov.au/how-are-human-rights-protected-australian-law

They don't have the equivalent of the Second Amendment. That's why they are able to have much stricter gun laws than the United States.

So do you think having the Second Amendment would prohibit having stricter gun laws?

To reiterate, most people aren't calling for the mass confiscation of firearms, especially from law-abiding gun owners. The point is to better regulate access. IMO.

You might not be sure there is an answer, but be assured there is. Something has to change. Something will change. The gun lobby has been terrorizing, wounding and killing our children, families and communities — ON OUR DIME — for too long.

More guns definitely aren't the answer. More safety is. The two aren't necessarily synonymous. IMO

(rbbm)

Here's where I have a problem with more gun control....was it legal to have a gun in the school? NO! If that law was broken, don't you think others are as well? Isn't murder already illegal? Yet that didn't stop the killing!
I sure don't have all the answers and based upon the most recent killings, I'm not sure there is an answer. I mean the daggone FBI was notified ,and yet THEY couldn't or didn't stop this. Local police has been very involved with this family, yet that didn't prevent this. This young man was receiving mental health help, yet when it probably was most needed, when his Mom died, he either wasn't support, wasn't taken to the appointments, refused to go, or whatever happened but the help stopped.

And just so we are clear, AR does NOT stand for assault rifle. I'm not sure I agree that people need them, but for ones that already own them, are you going door to door and confiscate them? Even if they are banned, there's so many already in the public domain that I don't know if it would do any good. And IMO, the illegals, you know the gangs, drug lords etc, already have them. So who is going to trace every one purchased in the US and confiscate each one? Only the legal law abiding citizens would be voluntarily turning them in. Those with criminal minds will continue to own them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
slatchautoclinic