Gun Control Debate #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Great point, Spellz. They can and should all vote for reasonable regulation.

If lawmakers imply otherwise, they're being intellectually dishonest with themselves, and factually dishonest with "we, the people" who are overwhelmingly asking for change. America's registered voters speaking up at the ballot box would help that, too, imo.

I don't care which side of the political aisle anyone stands on; it's irrelevant. More than 80 percent of Americans are in unison about the need for safety regulations.

(rs/bbm)

Why can’t they “all vote yes” if they choose? Who is forcing them to do otherwise? They are elected to do what their communities need and expect, not what their donors want. Maybe our whole government system needs a revamping?

I already think too many of our officials only think of their career, not the needs of the people they were voted to represent.

JMO

Absolutely, Tillicum. Great points.

Any laws they would vote on have to abide by the constitution and there's a lot of grey area concerning rights of persons with mental health issues. I hope they can come up with a way but it will be difficult if not impossible and will take time.

In this political environment I don't see a consensus on even the most obvious things. Way too partisan.

Our system is the best in the world. People need to stop automatically voting for incumbents and try to educate themselves on who and what they vote for.

Stop with using your emotions to decide how to vote and instead use reasoning.

If you are meaning this to be aimed at my post, please do not tell me how to vote. I do not automatically vote for incumbents ever. I think I am quite capable of making a choice based on many factors regarding candidates. However, this is not a political thread, it is about gun issues. I would prefer we not get into back-and-forth political views.

JMO

I agree that LE should have taken the reports that students gave them and acted on them.

I will not take these kids advice on gun control. They don't know what their talking about.

These kids are VICTIMS. If this is a victim-friendly forum, should we really be so negative about their feelings and ability to express themselves in a time of tragedy that will affect them for the rest of their lives?

Ah. The second amendment really needs to be read in full for its context to be fully understood, imho.

Our nation has gun regulations before. It happens fairly frequently, in fact.

After Kennedy was shot. In the 80s after mass shootings at places like Luby's and the post office and schools. Again in the mid-aughts with semi-automatic firearms, but we let that one expire. Then the laws states enact almost yearly, too.

There are multiple, clear-cut precedents showing that our second amendment doesn't preclude state or federal governments from enacting safety measures to protect people from gun violence. Those regulations are important to preserving life and liberty, as much as legal access to firearms is.

They're part and parcel. Peas and carrots. :)

They have to follow the Constitution

A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

Yes, I understand that part. But the right to bear arms does not mean we need automatic weapons or assault rifles. They could easily make adjustments to how and what type are sold, or who can have them. Even toy guns now have to have an orange tip.

https://www.toyassociation.org/App_Themes/tia/pdfs/safety/ToyGunMarking-Reqs.pdf
The requirements of 15CFR 272 are found in Appendix “A”. In summary, they require toy guns to be transparent or have a predominant color chosen from an approved list or have a blaze orange band at the muzzle or.....

I'm unaware when these have been used in shootings

I hope that,beginning today, "We call BS", becomes the rallying cry for every generation of Americans. I know I look forward to writing it on a sign and marching, and I am old enough that I remember when Barbie dolls were wooden.

Emma Gonzalez is my new hero. Her passion was electric and her message was mine. I am so sorry for the reason, but so happy she spoke. And a little child shall lead them.

These kids are VICTIMS. If this is a victim-friendly forum, should we really be so negative about their feelings and ability to express themselves in a time of tragedy that will affect them for the rest of their lives?
Don't tell me how to post. I think that I'm within TOS. If you have a problem with me then ALERT.

I hope that,beginning today, "We call BS", becomes the rallying cry for every generation of Americans. I know I look forward to writing it on a sign and marching, and I am old enough that I remember when Barbie dolls were wooden.

Emma Gonzalez is my new hero. Her passion was electric and her message was mine. I am so sorry for the reason, but so happy she spoke. And a little child shall lead them.

It is all such a very emotional topic right now, and very understandably so, and the young ones are the future of this world, so lets hope they make it a good one for their wellbeing as adults. IMO no one should have to die because of someone else's violent acts no matter where we are in this world.

I’m not American but I hope it’s ok to give an opinion as an outsider. Why is the age you are able to buy a gun not 21 in all States? This should be federal law. The types of gun an individual is able to purchase needs to be looked at. There is no need for an individual to own a weapon that shoots so many rounds a minute. You should also have to undergo training and a mental health assessment before purchasing your first weapon. I don’t know how practical this is but if you need a license to drive a car surely you should have to be assessed to get a license to own a gun too. All guns should be registered and there should be a limit on the number of guns you can own.

Another idea I had was utilising veterans who had completed their service and have them police the school campus. Surely their experience and knowledge would be beneficial in keeping students and staff safe.

All schools should have security video entry with one way in and out and anyone wanting in would have to show photo ID and/or a swipe a security pass. This happened in my primary and high schools after the Dunblane school shooting tragedy here in Scotland.

I hope congress does something to improve this horrendous situation. It is heartbreaking seeing the devastated families of the people who have died.

:loveyou: Emma is indeed a hero. And the 17 who died are more than murdered teenagers. Maybe their legacy is that they inspired their friends and families and first responders and the community to call BS.

I'll march with you, waitin'4thewrld2chg.

#WeCallBS

I don't think you're being political at all, greg! Your perspective is informative, and I, for one, appreciate it. Thank you.

I’m not American but I hope it’s ok to give an opinion as an outsider. Why is the age you are able to buy a gun not 21 in all States? This should be federal law. The types of gun an individual is able to purchase needs to be looked at. There is no need for an individual to own a weapon that shoots so many rounds a minute. You should also have to undergo training and a mental health assessment before purchasing your first weapon. I don’t know how practical this is but if you need a license to drive a car surely you should have to be assessed to get a license to own a gun too. All guns should be registered and there should be a limit on the number of guns you can own.

Another idea I had was utilising veterans who had completed their service and have them police the school campus. Surely their experience and knowledge would be beneficial in keeping students and staff safe.

All schools should have security video entry with one way in and out and anyone wanting in would have to show photo ID and/or a swipe a security pass. This happened in my primary and high schools after the Dunblane school shooting tragedy here in Scotland.

I hope congress does something to improve this horrendous situation. It is heartbreaking seeing the devastated families of the people who have died.

You offer up some very good and valid points & thoughts on the problem through your own personal experiences, thankyou.

I so totally agree. Her speech was amazing, electric as you rightly say and I would add she clearly showed youngsters inform themselves when talking about issues they care deeply about. She was also 100% accurate on all figures and events mentioned.

Young people these days know much more about politics and laws than many adults give them credit for.

I so totally agree. Her speech was amazing, electric as you rightly say and I would add she clearly showed youngsters inform themselves when talking about issues they care deeply about. She was also 100% accurate on all figures and events mentioned.

Young people these days know much more about politics and laws than many adults give them credit for.

I agree, a lot of kids are very tuned in to the problems nowadays, including my own kids. They get it for sure.

Why do you feel that the age for a firearm purchase be 21 instead of 18 years old?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
slatchautoclinic