Gun Control Debate #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The militia movement in the United States often spreads the idea that the militia is a force to fight the government. In fact it's a force to protect it. This is rather clear when you read the entire Constitution instead of just the Second Amendment.

Article I, Section 8 states:
The Congress shall have Power ... To provide for calling forth the Militia to execute the Laws of the Union, suppress Insurrections and repel Invasions;

To provide for organizing, arming, and disciplining, the Militia, and for governing such Part of them as may be employed in the Service of the United States, reserving to the States respectively, the Appointment of the Officers, and the Authority of training the Militia according to the discipline prescribed by Congress;

Quoting Article II, Section 2:
The President shall be Commander in Chief of the Army and Navy of the United States, and of the Militia of the several States, when called into the actual Service of the United States;

The Militia of the Constitution follows rules set by Congress, has officers selected by the states and serves under the President when called to national service. If your militia unit doesn't follow these rules, it is really just a gun club.

Given this text it is also clear that Congress could impose training requirements as a prerequisite for bearing arms.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-43174069

Trump is blaming the school officer for the tragedy in Florida. This gives me pause for thought. If a trained officer froze and didn't respond in this situation, I cannot see how giving teachers weapons in schools is going to help. I also can't see how giving a teacher a semi-auto is going to be much use if you have someone in the school with an assault weapon, possibly something with a bump stock spraying bullets around. The lunchlady may as well throw a pot of Jello at the shooter for all the good a pistol is going to do in that situation.

JMO
You made a wise choice IMO with the revolver. That is also what I have for home protection. I have a S+W 357 that is near where I sleep if I ever get woken up by a prowler in the house. We have no children so its a little easier for me to be safe.

Revolvers to me are a safer and more reliable weapon than a semi-auto because they dont jam and when you want to fire a revolver you always know it. I have always been fond of revolvers.

I suppose its preference for some to use semi-auto but from a sheer safety and reliability standpoint I have always felt revolvers were a better choice for me. I carry an extra speed loader to fill the revolver chamber with new shells if ever needed quickly. Sort of like an extra clip for a semi-auto.

And with me having a hunting family background I basically have been around weapons my whole life and have been very comfortable with them and learned good safety with them my whole life.

I always treat any weapon like its loaded and never point it at anything I am not intending to shoot at. It took me awhile to teach my Dad that it doesnt matter if a weapon is loaded or not. Just never point it at unintended targets. EVER.

I took the conceal carry course and got my permit many years ago. I agree that the course was very good and anyone that has a handgun should take the course even if they dont intend on ever carrying. The course covered a lot of good information and the shooting part of the course was interesting to meet and get to talk to other gun owners.

Its like you had mentioned. The more you use your weapon the more comfortable you are with them.

With all that said I am fine with a lot of the discussions on some of the changes that can be made to the laws and regulations. I agreed with a lot of them. There are some common sense changes that we can make in the US to help make the country safer.

I have always drifted toward revolvers. My spouse got me the nice semi pistol, and, as you said, I did have it jam on me and, to me, it was heavy. I have been wanting a speed loader but just haven't picked one up yet. I don't have kids in the house, constantly, anymore, but keep mine up, within easy reach of me, but well out of reach of visiting grandkids. No one is allowed in my bedroom w/o asking either. I believe in boundaries. It was like that in my home as a child. I'd have not touched my mother's purse or father's billfold with a ten foot pole. Dad never had a gun safe, or trigger locks, and we knew where his firearms were, but we never touched them. My Dad got his first rifle, at age eight, but he wasn't ever permitted to use it unless his father was with him. It never left the house otherwise. It was a very different time, when my father was eight, though. He is a tad over 80 now and doesn't understand what is happening to our world.

I agree w/you, on the CCP, too. It would be an especially wonderful class to take, for first time gun owners, even if they never intend to carry. It teaches folks a lot of useful information. Information that could keep them from erring, and ending up in prison.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-43174069

Trump is blaming the school officer for the tragedy in Florida. This gives me pause for thought. If a trained officer froze and didn't respond in this situation, I cannot see how giving teachers weapons in schools is going to help. I also can't see how giving a teacher a semi-auto is going to be much use if you have someone in the school with an assault weapon, possibly something with a bump stock spraying bullets around. The lunchlady may as well throw a pot of Jello at the shooter for all the good a pistol is going to do in that situation.
NRA witch tried blaming the police too. despicable creature!
(I'll never get my head around a gun manufacturer sponsoring govt!!!)
Maybe the guy knew it, what you're saying.. also there was the possibility that there were more than a single shooter..

But Sheriff Israel is pretty amazing.. he walks the talk and his dept has been so communicative and generous with info from the outset, he deserves much respect.

If he says it's bad, it's bad. he did.
My own thoughts went to a shooter at top of stairs watching entrance.. and deputy knew he would meet death on entry, but I am not familiar with layout or what he could have heard from his position behind the pillar.. or what the acoustics would have told him.

He probably froze.
His house is now under police guard..

One of the many regulation changes that I would agree with is limiting the magazine clip volume to a lower number. Even though a shooter could carry multiple clips it still slows them down a lot.

The current limit of 9 shells or even more in some cases could be lowered down IMO.

There is already a rule for duck hunting shotgun shell limit where a shotgun has to have a plug to limit only 3 shells.

Im not sure of what the right number would be to lower to but I am open to lowering the magazine limit.

The reason I like going after something like the magazine limit is I think its a doable thing for government. I dont think the opposition to something like that would be as bad as limits on some other things. So the government may have a good chance at passing a new rule on that.

It would sure slow down an active shooter if the limit was lower. For someone trying to protect themselves it also limits them so there has to be an agreed upon limit. The current limit of 9 or more does seem a little large to me. All JMO.

Many other things can be looked at too as we have been discussing. Lots of good discussions in past threads.

If someone is bent on destruction they will get the gazillions of old magazine floating around. I have legal, 15 round mags, for our AR style semi. We can legally purchase any size magazine we want, in my state. No regulation. There is untelling how many large capacity magazines, are in just my state, alone.

Maybe the guy knew it, what you're saying.. also there was the possibility that there were more than a single shooter..

But Sheriff Israel is pretty amazing.. he walks the talk and his dept has been so communicative and generous with info from the outset, he deserves much respect.

My own thoughts went to a shooter at top of stairs watching entrance.. and deputy knew he would meet death on entry, but I am not familiar with layout or what he could have heard from his position behind the pillar.. or what the acoustics would have told him.

He probably froze.

I feel for the officer. He knew that if he went in that building he was likely signing his own death warrant. He had no back-up and was expected to run into a situation, by himself, and the likelihood is that he would have been gunned down by the shooter, and saved no-one. Blaming one man for a systemic failure in the government is bs. No-one knows how they would react in a situation like this one - fight, flight or freeze. It's not uncommon for well trained first responders to freeze in some situations.

He probably froze.

Her name is Dana Loesch. Had she been in the school that day chances are the death toll would have been lower.

Her name is Dana Loesch. Had she been in the school that day chances are the death toll would have been lower.

Highly doubt it. She comes across as highly emotional and full of rage, perfect combination for someone to overreact and take more lives than necessary. JMO

That is just an absurd thing for her to say. A firefight in the halls with terrified children and staff would have likely ended up with more deaths imo

I know what her name is, I choose not to use it and a school is the last place she would be made welcome.
She was asked a single question by a student at the town hall and she had not enough respect to answer it.

I really cannot place her in the role of saviour. I hope I never have to endure listening to or seeing her ever again.

Could teachers be equipped with a device that blinds a terrorist, instead of a gun? And a bullet proof SWAT shield? These terrorists are often cloaked in full body armor.

IMO- whatever happened with the armed officer, it shows how fragile the psyche can be... Was he armed with an AR?

Also, large schools and campuses need more than one officer.

Highly doubt it. She comes across as highly emotional and full of rage, perfect combination for someone to overreact and take more lives than necessary. JMO

Full of rage, too funny.

What about the military? Raise the age there too I guess since at 18 folks can join and have weapons there.

The military provides waivers for a lot of things. This wouldn't affect enlistment and tbh, might actually help with recruitment.

'Well regulated' doesn't mean what some think it does.

In the period of time that this was written the meaning was closer to 'properly operating' or 'in it's ideal state'.

Source? TIA ✌️

And I mean, clearly if that IS the meaning of "well regulated" we are certainly NOT operating in our ideal state lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
momster0734