Gun Control Debate #3

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Did you read the news release? It says the program is optional. They can have thier break in the faculty lounge if they do not want to interact with the students. Is it cruel when law enforcement does a pick up basketball games with children, when they do shop with a cop and all the other community events.
Again I will ask my SIL who is in law enforcement if this is disrespectful or cruel to them. I would think he would be happy to partiipate in the program, and thrilled of other officers are stopping by his children's school.
I have come to the conclusion that there is not going to be any movement forward in securing our schools because sides are drawn and neither side is trying to work together to find a solution.

It is frustrating, ohreally.

I'm a little more hopeful. I see the change that's already happening: gun reform, closing federal loopholes at the state level, corporate actions, etc.

Smoking and drinking aren’t hobbies? Wime tasting! Martinis? Cigar clubs?
Marijuana cultivation can be a relaxing gardening hobby. Hookahs and hookah bars are in vogue, as is home brewing.

Smoking and drinking aren’t hobbies? Wime tasting! Martinis? Cigar clubs?

No. Do I need to be more specific? You want to tax ammunition so the average person can't afford to shoot? Then let's make tennis balls, basketballs, soccer balls, volleyballs, footballs, baseballs, etc. all so expensive that people can't afford to buy them. Baseballs will now be $250 each. That's fair.

Of course you do not have to reply, but I am wondering how you would handle all of the issues presented at lockdown.

I had lockdowns six times a year since Columbine so I am assuming you had them as well? No scary times? We only had two real threats. One with a divorced father and one with a man who was coming after,his divorced wife.

The others were criminals in the neighborhood who had done robberies or whatever.

I left the system a year before Columbine so the only lockdowns I experienced involved a father of a 5 year old in the cafeteria swinging a butcher knife, another father who assaulted me in the office and the many times my XYY student went off. I ran outside and grabbed the 5 year old when the father saw LE, then ran inside a windowless room with him. As for the father that climbed over the counter and grabbed me, I sucker punched him and ran out the opposite door and sounded the alarm. My XYY student was handled with care. He was only there 2 hours a day but we had episodes at least once a week. We had buzzers in classrooms, hallways, cafeteria and auditorium. The students knew to get back and hit the buzzer so my reinforcements could come and help. It was so long ago, I never dreamed of a need for teachers being armed.

This post is an example of someone saying that teachers are incapable of learning to use a gun to protect themselves and their students. JMO

Would you like to answer any of my questions or explain why exactly a teacher would be more capable than a trained officer?

One of the ideas is to raise the minimum age to 21. So, that's not just making it "harder." It's making it impossible for 18 to 20 year old, "legal, law abiding" adults to purchase firearms. Another thing that's been mentioned on here several times is making ammunition so expensive basically so people can't afford it. That affects me, and lots of people I know, and we're not mass murderers. That's just not right. Why not tax every other hobby there is to make those hobbies unaffordable as well? There's always talk of "common sense" and "reasonable" gun laws. But then when I start hearing about them, it's not common sense or reasonable at all. Again, why the NRA is so important for those of us who want to retain our gun rights. (although I am not a member, but I'm now seriously thinking I need to join up)

Just not right is people getting murdered because some are so bent on their rights. You didn't say in your post but is sounds as though you think people can hardly wait until they reach the age of 18 to get their hands on a weapon.How sad. IMO

It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly...

Theodore Roosevelt

Just not right is people getting murdered because some are so bent on their rights. You didn't say in your post but is sounds as though you think people can hardly wait until they reach the age of 18 to get their hands on a weapon.How sad. IMO

First, I don't refer to them as "weapons," as I don't shoot people with my guns. They're just guns. And they're for hunting. Lots of people hunt and they have the right to own a firearm for that purpose, and I see no reason why people should have to wait until they're 21 to buy a gun so they can go deer hunting. Or a gun for whatever other purpose they want. At first I was willing to listen to the idea of a minimum age of 21 for AR-15's but now I'm not so sure on that. It makes sense to me now why the NRA doesn't want to give in on one single thing.

May I ask why you feel sad that an 18 year old might want to buy a gun? I just don't get that. Unless you think the only reason for buying that gun is so he can kill people.

First, I don't refer to them as "weapons," as I don't shoot people with my guns. They're just guns. And they're for hunting. Lots of people hunt and they have the right to own a firearm for that purpose, and I see no reason why people should have to wait until they're 21 to buy a gun so they can go deer hunting. Or a gun for whatever other purpose they want. At first I was willing to listen to the idea of a minimum age of 21 for AR-15's but now I'm not so sure on that. It makes sense to me now why the NRA doesn't want to give in on one single thing.

So people can hardly wait to turn 18 so they can hunt and kill an animal. Still sad. IMO
Also sad that you think the NRA has your best interest at heart.
ETA to answer your add on question....I don't think it is much to ask of people to wait a few years if it helps in the safety of your fellow man.

So people can hardly wait to turn 18 so they can hunt and kill an animal. Still sad. IMO
Also sad that you think the NRA has your best interest at heart.

Most don't wait until they're 18 to hunt, but the opportunity to buy a gun should be there, when you become an adult. My daughter will be hunting deer for the first time this year and she's 12. We got her a new rifle for Christmas. And we're not sad, we're very happy and excited.

I think hunting is a foreign concept to some people. Where I come from, kids hunt. My son was hunting at age 11. Some teens even go hunting, frogging and fishing together without adult supervision. It's a hobby for young men that teaches safety and responsibility. An 18 year old is not too young for a gun in my opinion. So yes they can hardly wait to have their own guns.

I think hunting is a foreign concept to some people. Where I come from, kids hunt. My son was hunting at age 11. Some teens even go hunting, frogging and fishing together without adult supervision. It's a hobby for young men that teaches safety and responsibility. An 18 year old is not too young for a gun in my opinion. So yes they can hardly wait to have their own guns.

OT Yes it is a foreign concept for me. I've been a vegetarian from a very young age. So vegetarian more years than I was a meat eater.

Depth Of Russian Politician's Cultivation Of NRA Ties Revealed

https://www.npr.org/2018/03/01/5900...hare&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social

Russian politician Alexander Torshin is a prolific Twitter user, logging nearly 150,000 tweets, mostly in Russian, since his account was created in 2011.

Previously obscured by language and by sheer volume of tweets, Torshin has written numerous times about his connections with the NRA, of which he's a known paid lifetime member. NPR has translated a selection of those posts that document Torshin's relationship to the group.

These revelations come amid news that the FBI is investigating whether Torshin, the deputy governor of the Bank of Russia, illegally funneled money to the National Rifle Association to assist the Trump campaign in 2016, McClatchy reported in January.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member