Gun Control Debate #3

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
This video explains perfectly why armed veterans in the schools will not solve the problem.

[video=youtube;RiIQo8ElLKE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiIQo8ElLKE[/video]

Georgia lawmakers yank tax break for Delta after airline cuts ties with NRA

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...r-delta-after-airline-cuts-ties-with-nra.html

From the link.

Delta added: “Delta supports all of its customers but will not support organizations on any side of any highly charged political issue that divides our nation.”

Connecticut Democratic Gov. Dannel Malloy and New York Democratic Gov. Andrew Cuomo both have invited Delta to move its headquarters to their states in the midst of the company’s disagreement with the legislature.

United Airlines also notified the NRA that it would no longer offer a discounted rate for the NRA’s annual meeting.

This video explains perfectly why armed veterans in the schools will not solve the problem.

[video=youtube;RiIQo8ElLKE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiIQo8ElLKE[/video]
[emoji17] this one (and Thurston high school) were local to me. Mr flourish's bestie's cousin was shot but survived thank goodness.

Was the tax break related to the NRA?

Answering my own question
The state House and Senate within hours of each other passed a sweeping tax bill that Republicans had amended to strip out a sales tax exemption on jet fuel. Atlanta-based Delta would have been the prime beneficiary of the tax break, which would have been worth an estimated $38 million.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ct-georgia-lawmakers-delta-nra-20180301-story.html

It's literally a sour grapes tantrum punishment by the Republicans in power in Georgia. Fan-freaking-tastic.

LOL, wasn't someone just yesterday trying to tell us that the NRA isn't all that powerful or politically influential? Sigh. That is just ridiculous.

What makes no sense is saying sorry kids you're on your own, LE and teachers can't protect you.

What makes no sense is saying that weapons that shred humans are to be protected no matter what the cost,. Deriding LE because they won’t run into a shooter. Saying teachers won’t protect students because they won’t have a gun,

Anything but look at the guns.

I disagree. I am a veteran and well familiar with firearms. In the confines of a building, a handgun gives a fighting chance. Just exchanging fire with the gunman distracts, delays him, buying time for children to escape.

Opening fire in a confined space full of panicking children is the last thing anyone, especially civilians, should ever do. That's a sureFIRE way to rack up more bodies.

What makes no sense is saying that weapons that shred humans are to be protected no matter what the cost,. Deriding LE because they won’t run into a shooter. Saying teachers won’t protect students because they won’t have a gun,

Anything but look at the guns.

I'm constantly surprised by the lengths Americans will go to protect guns like these.

Saw this on Facebook today, a school district here in Washington state trying to entice law enforcement officers to come around, and hang out at their schools:
Thank you for posting this. I think this is such a good idea. It is easy to implement and not very expensive to do. I hope it catches on to other districts. It' not a cure, but a step in the right direction. IMO

Delta merged with Northwest Airlines. NWA was headquartered in Minnesota. Come on back!

There are other states that are inviting Delta to come on over.

I hope they leave GA!

So a private enterprise is punished by the government for something well within their rights to do... And we're cool with this because at least the NRA members get their way?

Of course not! No govt regulations! Less govt! See, it can’t be govt! No way. Lol

Opening fire in a confined space full of panicking children is the last thing anyone, especially civilians, should ever do. That's a sureFIRE way to rack up more bodies.

I'm constantly surprised by the lengths Americans will go to protect guns like these.

I really really think that the “arm the teachers” crowd isn’t thinking this through. Sure, if you are in the confines of a building and there is a shooter hunting you down, you are safer, or at least will have a chance to save yourself if you yourself are armed. But when you add literally thousands of children into the confines of the same building, you are putting them in the middle of a gunfight. These children would now have to worry about the bad guy with a gun AND the good guy with a gun.

I don’t see the logic in turning every school shooting into a full fledged shoot out. It’s a school! Not the Korengal. Dear god.

Thank you for posting this. I think this is such a good idea. It is easy to implement and not very expensive to do. I hope it catches on to other districts. It' not a cure, but a step in the right direction. IMO
It disrespects LE.
They are entitled to breaks.
A gunman would wait until they had left.
Somebody should ask them first.
They should receive an extended budget for extra curricular activities.
Insurance would have to be notified and agree.

why does the solution have to be CHEAP?
Why not go for an expensive solution with gun proof containers in each classroom?

How about getting your local NRA to work to that end?

They would think it outrageous even though it would certainly save lives/
Essentially they want no changes, no costs and they couldn't care less who lives or who dies?

Fayetteville ISD OK's concealed handguns on campus for 'Guardian' teachers

http://www.kvue.com/article/news/lo...on-campus-for-guardian-teachers/269-523626544

Harvey said their goal was not to create vigilante teachers who would take unnecessary risks and escalate situations. Rather, this program was meant to be used in addition to their normal lockdown procedure but give certain teachers and staff an opportunity to fight back in the worst of situations.

"We have numerous folks on staff that have military backgrounds," Harvey said. "Everyone here believes in that sense of protectiveness of their kids. Each one of these kids are ours. We treat them like they're our own and we want to make sure we're prepared to do whatever it takes to protect them."

"The Guardians will be staff members who have passed each of the following requirements (and more):

1. Hand-selected staff members

2. Must have their License to Carry permit (LTC).

3. Must pass a psychological exam just like local law enforcement

4. Must qualify annually with the specific handgun they will carry.

5. Must be on the random drug testing list and pass all tests.

7. Must be trained in tactics for denying an intruder entry into a classroom or facility.

8. Must be approved by the school board."

Harvey added that "Guardians" will all be volunteers. There will be no requirement that any staff member or teacher be a part of this program.

He also added that those selected will never be revealed to the public or students. Part of their plan, Harvey said, was to keep the guns on campus hidden and their users anonymous.

This sounds like a good pro active plan and what I think some of us are advocating for.

Arming teachers is just another experiment that puts our children at risk. Because there aren't enough ways to harm them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Snoopysnoop