Gun Control Debate #4

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember reading about that when it happened - was there anything further ever published regarding the investigation?

Also - in conjunction what I said a page or so ago - this happened on Christmas Eve - did alcohol play any role in the father accidentally shooting his own son?

The father was indicted on manslaughter charges.

Is there a law about not using your gun for protection if you've had a few drinks? I thought everyone had the right to protect themselves.

Helpful, how? Maybe police didn't release that info because there's not yet a decision as to whether a crime was committed or whether charges will even be filed? One story says deputies will meet with the prosecutor on Monday afternoon.

I, too, work in publishing. :dance:

As you probably know, too, when covering the police beat, there are all sorts of reasons why law enforcement might not release that information immediately after the fact.

:loser:

Thank you, it would have helped if that journalist mentioned the mother's name, her being arrested...

At what point did journalism lose the five W's and the one H? I work in publishing, I would never in a zillion years even consider a story like that to be authentic and complete.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/23/opinion/australias-gun-laws-america.html

But the Australian model won’t work in the United States. Here’s why: We Australians have a profoundly different relationship with weapons. Americans love guns. We’re scared of them.

Years ago I worked with a woman who was a bit of a chatterbox - she once said "I'm deathly afraid of guns".

Have no idea if she even knew what she said as she wasn't really mindful of what she talked of (gossip)

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/23/opinion/australias-gun-laws-america.html

But the Australian model won’t work in the United States. Here’s why: We Australians have a profoundly different relationship with weapons. Americans love guns. We’re scared of them.

Years ago I worked with a woman who was a bit of a chatterbox - she once said "I'm deathly afraid of guns".

Have no idea if she even knew what she said as she wasn't really mindful of what she talked of (gossip)

Page Not Found.

Which sources do find most reliable and least biased, generally? Serious question.

(I might have even replied with the same question back in the first thread, lol.)

IIRC on the first thread of the gun control debate I said

Good luck finding unbiased information regarding gun control.

Still LOL at the mention of Michael Moore.

The father was indicted on manslaughter charges.

Is there a law about not using your gun for protection if you've had a few drinks? I thought everyone had the right to protect themselves.

Um, alcohol can impair one's judgement when it comes to using guns.

Same thing with driving, despite the fact I personally know a lot of people in town who repeatedly drink and drive, including one guy who has to have a breathalyzer in his truck.

Common sense..

Which sources do find most reliable and least biased, generally? Serious question.

(I might have even replied with the same question back in the first thread, lol.)

Quite honestly I don't know of any unbiased sources when it comes to gun control. Thus my earlier quote.

Um, alcohol can impair one's judgement when it comes to using guns.

Same thing with driving, despite the fact I personally know a lot of people in town who repeatedly drink and drive, including one guy who has to have a breathalyzer in his truck.

Common sense..

So there is a law? Is it the same in every state? What's the legal limit - is it the same as driving?

So there is a law? Is it the same in every state? What's the legal limit - is it the same as driving?

Oh I don't know of any laws prohibiting alcohol and gun use. I simply said, Common sense states alcohol and gun use don't mix.

Unfortunately, common sense cannot be legislated although I know few people who think it should..

I'm not the person you asked but I read news from a variety of sources, and IMO the Christian Science Monitor is one of the least biased. Then AP. But I also check with Pew, SNOPES, Politifact and factcheck.

I rarely watch TV news.

You?

It's the same link that Ranch posted a page ago:

And as I replied to Ranch the link led to a paywall.

It doesn't matter. I'm sure it's written by someone who is the right's equivalent of Michael Moore.

It doesn't matter. I'm sure it's written by someone who is the right's equivalent of Michael Moore.

The author is A. Odysseus Patrick, a writer for The Australian Financial Review.

You have got to be kidding? Michael Moore? He's about the biggest moron to ever live and you want us to listen to what he has to say? Unbelievable!

Not the best spokesperson, I agree, but he did nail the 2016 election prediction, he did bring awareness to Bowling for Columbine long before we here on a gun thread are going, "huh?"

Oh I don't know of any laws prohibiting alcohol and gun use. I simply said, Common sense states alcohol and gun use don't mix.

Unfortunately, common sense cannot be legislated although I know few people who think it should..

But we have no idea if Donald Trammell had been drinking. Alcohol isn't mentioned in the charges or in any of the articles about the shooting and charges. He was charged because the "Stand Your Ground" law didn't apply. You can't murder someone for stealing your truck. Though I know a few people who think that would be a justified shooting.

If it is the same one that I read it was written by an ex Australian Ambassador to the US, but I can't remember his name now. It was about the gun culture in the US.

If it is the same one that I read it was written by an ex Australian Ambassador to the US, but I can't remember his name now. It was about the gun culture in the US.

Is it A. Odysseus Patrick? He's the author of that NY Times article.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member