Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
List of social movements
https://www.britannica.com/topic/list-of-social-movements-2073658

I shock myself in how emotional I realize I am for participating in the gun debate... It made me remember how passionate and turbulent my teenage years were... Back then, I hooked into and found France whose own social revolution somehow matched ours.

That passion matched ours in the revolutionary mindset of the French. Imo

And, Lady Liberty stands as a beautiful reminder of that bond.

I remember it bubbling up after Charlie Hebdo. The intellect that is fearless, unapologetic. And died for it. This is the France I identify with... And France has been made a target of terrorism much like we have.

Now, as memories bubble up, I feel it could happen again. Perhaps because I remember it, and I feel it, and I see it in those young and unapologetic kids from Parkland Fl., with their laser focus. This is their moment.

Unaffected and unaffraid to go up against the NRA Goliath. The government Goliath. Your life or your guns. That's how passionate this resistance really is. And where was I in the early 70's? - on the streets... --Our lives or a tragic, pointless war...

We've drilled down to the heart of the matter and I look to the French for courage. I realize now it is about so much more than art and literature, it is about spirit, and passion. And these are the things that movements are made of...

I am older now and looking back I trust the process. Then like now, passionate ideologies converge on the same platform of love, patriotism, and fear. We must find the answer.

--jmo

I don't think so. People in the States have the constitutional right to defend themselves and they are not willing to give up that right in a lot of cases. And no one is saying it's ok to shoot up a school or any other place for that matter. Out of the many people living in the U.S. i think most are still responsible gun owners. There are many more people getting killed on the roads in the U.S. than from gun violence, not that that excuses these horrible gun attacks. As the world get crazier we are probably going to see more of it too. All IMO.

Might ya please include links/sources when making claims like this? TIA

Data I'm finding shows the claim is untrue. Statistically, it's dead even. Pun intentional. Per the CDC:

• Number of vehicle traffic deaths: 36,161 = 11.3 per 100,000
  • Number of firearm deaths: 36,252 = 11.3 per 100,000

The false analogies — in general —are really kinda hilarious at this point. IMO

Why is it a false analogy? Here:

• A car's purpose isn't to kill things, yet killin' stuff is precisely the purpose of firearms.

• And far, far, far, far more people travel far more often and far greater distances by automobile each year than use a firearm, for any reason.​

See?

Police: Prescott Valley father shot by 7-year-old son with autism

A Prescott Valley man was shot in the back while sleeping, and police say his 7-year-old son with autism pulled the trigger.

The incident occurred about 7:20 p.m., Wednesday, while other family members were in the home, Prescott Valley police said.

Police said the boy apparently knew the gun was locked in a small safe in a closet.

Mother Arrested After Son, 8, Shoots Daughter, 4

A woman whose 8-year-old son shot his 4-year-old sister has been arrested.

The Mansfield News-Journal reports the Ashland County Sheriff’s Office has said the girl was shot multiple times Saturday afternoon at a home in Hayesville, about 70 miles southwest of Cleveland.
I don't understand why America is okay with shootings like this any more than I understand America is okay with school shootings. Are we really that helpless?

You have got to be kidding? Michael Moore? He's about the biggest moron to ever live and you want us to listen to what he has to say? Unbelievable!

I had the same thought

Australia’s Gun Laws Are Not a Model for America

Australia’s founding fathers, attempting to unify six colonies, didn’t mention guns in the Constitution. They weren’t worried about government oppression.

This ingrown cultural hostility toward firearms explains why there was no fear and only isolated anger at the government, even among owners, when it took away people’s guns in 1996. In the United States, even if the political opposition could be overcome, such widespread appropriation of private property and limits on personal liberties would most likely be met with fierce, even physical, resistance.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/23/opinion/australias-gun-laws-america.html

You have got to be kidding? Michael Moore? He's about the biggest moron to ever live and you want us to listen to what he has to say? Unbelievable!

I agree, Michael Moore's agenda is too well known, and much too biased.

Mother Arrested After Son, 8, Shoots Daughter, 4

I don't understand why America is okay with shootings like this any more than I understand America is okay with school shootings. Are we really that helpless?

At what point did journalism lose the five W's and the one H?

I work in publishing, I would never in a zillion years even consider a story like that to be authentic and complete.

At what point did journalism lose the five W's and the one H?

I work in publishing, I would never in a zillion years even consider a story like that to be authentic and complete.

Mother arrested after boy shoots 4-year-old sister in Ashland County

The sheriff's office was notified around 2:30 p.m. Saturday that the 4-year-old had been shot and sustained injuries that were not considered life-threatening, according to a news release from the sheriff's office.

Ashland County Sheriff's Office Chief Deputy Carl Richert said the 4-year-old was shot "multiple times" and initially treated at University Hospitals Samaritan Medical Center before being taken to a Cleveland hospital.

Ashland County woman arrested after son, 8, shoots sister, 4

“We don’t know what charges will be filed until we meet with the prosecutor,” [Ashland County Chief Deputy Carl] Richert said.

He said deputies are expected to meet with the prosecutor Monday afternoon.

Deputies are not saying if the mother was home when the girl was shot.

IIRC on the first thread of the gun control debate I said

Good luck finding unbiased information regarding gun control.

Still LOL at the mention of Michael Moore.

No, it wasn't a matter of docs being afraid of "loony patients" in Florida. Flip it.

The law barring doctors from discussing firearms with patients was endorsed by the gun lobby. Not patients or medical professionals.

It also was struck down.

Court Strikes Down Florida Law Barring Doctors From Discussing Guns With Patients
https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo...ing-doctors-from-discussing-guns-with-patient

I've never heard that it's illegal for a doctor to ask if a patient has guns (in Fl.). If I were a mental health counselor,
I would be on guard with all my patients today, in case they have a gun, and because I might become their target
when they have an angry meltdown. It's become the wild, wild west out there and especially when dealing with unbalanced people or patients.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomada701