Gun Control Debate #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
My high school grandchildren participated. My middle school grandchild participated, my elementary grandchildren participated,and my teacher child and DIL teacher participated. So proud! Following in the steps of their grandparents! Both sides!

My high school grandchildren participated. My middle school grandchild participated, my elementary grandchildren participated,and my teacher child and DIL teacher participated. So proud! Following in the steps of their grandparents! Both sides!

You must be proud of them. It's awesome to see young people in particular stand up for what they want in society.

What they need to be protesting is that the Parkland school shooting should not have even happened, if law enforcement officials had properly done their job. No new laws were needed to prevent that tragedy. Instead they want to place the blame on guns, and the NRA. However, even if I agreed with the message, I still wouldn't agree with it happening while school is in session. Do your protest after school, or on the weekend.

Kids are being slaughtered in schools while school is in session. How much school time do you think is missed when there is a mass shooting?

National School Walkout: interactive of student walkouts across the country

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...ed-across-country-n855886?cid=sm_npd_nn_tw_ma

8c440b06270c78cdc3d096150d21d954.jpg

The heaviest concentration of walk-outs appear to be in blue states with the exception of Florida and maybe Atlanta at first glance. This tells me it's politically driven in my opinion.

I disagree with your take on the whole thing. Seems to me like the entire community was trying to help this troubled kid.

The mass shooting would have definitely been prevented if he didn’t have access to guns. Raiding the buying age long ago would have prevented it, and I’m thankful that Florida lawmakers understand that now.

IMO

rbbm

The FBI, Broward County Sheriff's Office among other agencies let this kid slip through the cracks. Epic fail in my opinion.

I wouldn't say I'm "angry," just disappointed that public tax dollars are being wasted on a message that I, and many other Americans don't necessarily agree with. I'm glad you give the NRA so much credit for protecting our 2nd Amendment rights. Without them there's a good chance the government would be coming to my house to confiscate all the guns I have in my safe. Maybe I should send a big donation?

Kinda like the ACLU helps protect all of our civil rights, including the 1st Amendment which guarantees the students' right to protest today. Should the 1st Amendment only apply when you agree with what someone is saying?

The heaviest concentration of walk-outs appear to be in blue states with the exception of Florida and maybe Atlanta at first glance. This tells me it's politically driven in my opinion.

Whether it's politically driven or not is moot. What is important is that these young people are willing to have their voices heard.

Kinda like the ACLU helps protect all of our civil rights, including the 1st Amendment which guarantees the students' right to protest today. Should the 1st Amendment only apply when you agree with what someone is saying?

No, you must have missed another post in which I said it doesn't matter what their political message is, it shouldn't be done on school time.

No, you must have missed another post in which I said it doesn't matter what their political message is, it shouldn't be done on school time.

If their parents don't mind why would anyone else?

This is what I was replying to:

I wouldn't say I'm "angry," just disappointed that public tax dollars are being wasted on a message that I, and many other Americans don't necessarily agree with.

So you can see how I thought your problem with the walkout was that you didn't agree with the message. Otherwise, why include it?

School shootings have a way with messing with school time.

It's more likely that the higher concentrations are in areas where parents encourage (or at least don't punish) their children to be aware and active in political discussions and demonstrations, as they should be.

I hope everyone is this up in arms when Seniors participate in skip days lol

This is what I was replying to:

So you can see how I thought your problem with the walkout was that you didn't agree with the message. Otherwise, why include it?

Yes I understand why you said what you said, and that it was due to my less than perfectly worded post. I'll say that even if these kids were leaving school in order to demand that their 2nd Amendment rights not be diminished, I still wouldn't support it. They are in school for an education and that should be the priority.

They have the right to protest but it may not be without consequences.

7 things you need to know about students' rights in Wednesday's school walkouts

https://www.naplesnews.com/story/ne...-rights-wednesdays-school-walkouts/420960002/

Students keep their First Amendment right to protest while in school.

Schools can’t censor student speech, he wrote, unless it “materially disrupts classwork or involves substantial disorder or invasion of the rights of others.”

A schoolwide walkout is more disruptive than an armband, but it's allowed.

Nevertheless, schools can discipline students who take part.

If students leave school to protest, schools can bar them from re-entering.

Schools are all over the map about the planned walkout.

Social media protest postings on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter or Snapchat could bring punishment.

Younger students could face harsher penalties for protesting.

The First Amendment doesn't apply to private schools.

I hope everyone is this up in arms when Seniors participate in skip days lol

Or when they skip school on the first day of deer season. :)

When I was in high school half of the student body missed morning classes on Ash Wednesday so they could go to Mass.

As it turns out, there is no "permanent record" that will destroy a kid's future and missing one day of school won't ruin their lives. Does anyone else remember the school and parents using that old permanent record scare tactic? I do.

It's one day. It's more important that they understand and are participating in politics than one single, solitary day of school will ever be (save final exams lol).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
centinel