Gun Control Debate #6

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh my lord. A lot of the "bad guys with guns" own them legally, or get them from family who own them legally. Maybe we should just bury our heads in the sand and hope the gun violence problem just goes away on its own eh?
They need to ban gangs and start locking them up just for just being in one and keep career criminals in jail.

No need for mandatory insurance. Simply no coverage. And if someone wants to sue the irresponsible gun owner, no insurance to cover if safety precautions are not followed . For instance, gun taken out of your car and then used in a crime. No insurance for the theft and no insurance for the lawsuit where you can lose everything. Your home, car, life savings to pay for the suit.

They do have conceal carry insurance if you choose to get it. In general your home owners insurance covers if you're at home but more people are carrying outside the home. It pays legal fees if needed in case you have to kill in self defense and also if the family tries to sue you. It's not very expensive and probably a good thing to have if you're carrying outside the home.

Should be obvious. The point is the kid murdered someone with something other than a gun. Take away guns, next thing will be knives and baseball bats. Or, at least require liability insurance on those items in case they are used for murder.

Sooooo ... headlines screaming about 500+ wounded and murdered with a knife or bat? Or dozens of students wounded and murdered during a mass-batting event at a local high school?

Sure would be a lot easier for law enforcement officers to stop a bad guy with a bat than a bad guy with a gun, imho!

Should all officers be armed with bats?

When people have to pay for their mistakes/carelessness then $$$$ do talk. And it causes people to think the next time, and others around them to be aware of what can happen to them if they are not vigilant. It does work.

One aspect of mandatory insurance might be the creation of a database of guns and who owns them - giving LE access to this info. This would be beneficial to LE when answering a call at a residence and hopefully a law would give them the right to check for insurance coverage or confiscate the guns if no coverage produced.

There is so much that can be done from the insurance angle imo.

Annnnnnnd, if a gun owner’s insured firearms are stolen, it’ll be a system in which to track/trace/return them to the owner. Kinda like peeps do with serial numbers when insuring expensive electronics, etc.

Great idea, Woodland. ❤️

They do have conceal carry insurance if you choose to get it. In general your home owners insurance covers if you're at home but more people are carrying outside the home. It pays legal fees if needed in case you have to kill in self defense and also if the family tries to sue you. It's not very expensive and probably a good thing to have if you're carrying outside the home.

Has anyone you know ever used it? I wonder how it really works. I find it hard to believe that an insurance policy would pay maybe $1,000,000 for a criminal defense, I wonder if they only pay if you are found innocent. Insurance companies do not give money away

Thank goodness for the NRA and protection of gun rights.

Thank goodness they aren’t funded by the gun industry meaning they don’t have a vested interest in gun sales. Oh wait....

Has anyone you know ever used it? I wonder how it really works. I find it hard to believe that an insurance policy would pay maybe $1,000,000 for a criminal defense, I wonder if they only pay if you are found innocent. Insurance companies do not give money away

I don't know anyone that has ever used it. I know that on basic policies they won't pay upfront. They only pay if you're found not guilty. If you don't have enough money to cover legal fees upfront, there are policies you can buy that will, but they cost a lot. Even if you're not guilty, the family can still sue you in civil court. The insurance covers that as well.

Sooooo ... headlines screaming about 500+ wounded and murdered with a knife or bat? Or dozens of students wounded and murdered during a mass-batting event at a local high school?

Sure would be a lot easier for law enforcement officers to stop a bad guy with a bat than a bad guy with a gun, imho!

Should all officers be armed with bats?

Mass batting event (snickering)
Yes you have a chance of outrunning a bat attack. Not so much a bullet. IMO

Annnnnnnd, if a gun owner’s insured firearms are stolen, it’ll be a system in which to track/trace/return them to the owner. Kinda like peeps do with serial numbers when insuring expensive electronics, etc.

Great idea, Woodland. ❤️

I love the insurance idea but for the record it's not my original idea - I'm just promoting it as I think it's brilliant.

I'm pretty sure I first saw poster KaaBoom (spelling?) post this idea - thread #1 or #2.

I don't know anyone that has ever used it. I know that on basic policies they won't pay upfront. They only pay if you're found not guilty. If you don't have enough money to cover legal fees upfront, there are policies you can buy that will, but they cost a lot. Even if you're not guilty, the family can still sue you in civil court. The insurance covers that as well.

That is what I figured, So if you do not have money, you are out of luck.

Yep!!! You need a gun to stop a bad guy with a gun. If they banned all guns more than 100 million of them would eventually wind up in the hand of criminals. Half of all gun owners wouldn't turn there guns in, it would be about as effective as prohibition. The way technology is now criminals could make guns in there garage and if there's a demand they will be made.

Could you quote a post on the suggestion of banning all guns please? Do not recall seeing anything like that.

Semi auto matic.

Correct. A kid with a gun is like using a crane to crush a fly. Frustrated at a girl he dated who dumped him? Whatever the reason he believed he needed it — how did this kid get his mitts on a gun?

And we, as a society, should do more (including passing laws) to prevent them from accessing them — however the shooters access them — to being with.

IMO

Pistol-fired bullets travel around 1,200-2,500 feet per second (1,700 mph) instead of up to 3,000-5,000 feet per second like AR-15-style rifles do.

But honestly, I believe we can and should do more to prevent gun violence to begin with. It’s ridiculous that we haven’t done more before it got to this point. Or after, for that matter. [emoji43][emoji46]

Moo

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rate_of_fire

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_...can_you_shoot_a_handgun_in_seven_minutes.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AR-15_style_rifle

https://www.quora.com/How-fast-can-a-1911-pistol-shoot-and-what-makes-the-pistol-shoot-that-fast

https://www.google.com/search?q=191...j0j7&hl=en-US&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

I don't know of any gun owners who want the government having a list of all the guns we own. That's something that just won't go over well, I promise.

We have registration systems for everything from automobiles to voting.

We’ll get used to it, imo.

[emoji115][emoji115][emoji115] Yup.

The above post is why it’s so obvious we should be uniformly and consistently registering each one already. [emoji6]

It would be nice to know who owns guns that are used in crimes

Thank goodness for the NRA and protection of gun rights.

It's interesting to watch an American proudly make this choice, and proudly share their choice, while watching/reading/hearing about innocent people die on a daily basis all around them from gunshot wounds in the US. I don't understand the thinking, but it's interesting to me anyway.

Could you quote a post on the suggestion of banning all guns please? Do not recall seeing anything like that.

(There isn’t one, iirc) [emoji6] Full bans of all guns is not possible in the US, imo.

It’s kinda funny to me when people who tout the Heller SCOTUS decision also imply there’s some sort of sweeping conspiracy to just forcefully scoop up millions of legally owned firearms.

We have Heller. I wish more folks would actually read it and/or quit pretending they haven’t.

IMO MOO ETC

Some insurance companies are dropping the type of insurance you’re talking about, including for the NRA.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.insurancejournal.com/news/national/2018/02/23/481494.htm

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/02/23/florida-shootings-may-complicate-insurance-for-gun-owners.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reneej08