Halyna Hutchins Shot With Prop Gun - Alec Baldwin indicted & Hannah Gutierrez-Reed charged, 2021 #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
AB Pleads Not Guilty to Manslaughter. Jan 31 Daily Mail, Headline

"Alec Baldwin pleads not guilty to manslaughter of cinematographer he shot and killed, as his lawyers push for speedy trial to 'minimize public suspicion and villification'
"Alec Baldwin has pleaded not guilty to an involuntary manslaughter charge
"The charge came after Baldwin shot and killed a cinematographer on the set of Rust - a Western movie he was filming - in 2021
Baldwin's lawyers are now pushing for a speedy trial to 'minimize public suspicion and vilification'"

ETA: From article. I don't recall seeing this before, coulda missed it.
"Baldwin remains free pending trial under conditions that include not possessing firearms, consuming alcohol or leaving the country.

"Baldwin can have limited contact with witnesses when it comes to promoting 'Rust,' which has not been released for public viewing.

"Baldwin is prohibited from asking members of the 'Rust' cast or crew to participate in a related documentary film."

AB Pleads Not Guilty to Manslaughter. Jan 31 Daily Mail, Headline

"Alec Baldwin pleads not guilty to manslaughter of cinematographer he shot and killed, as his lawyers push for speedy trial to 'minimize public suspicion and villification'
"Alec Baldwin has pleaded not guilty to an involuntary manslaughter charge
"The charge came after Baldwin shot and killed a cinematographer on the set of Rust - a Western movie he was filming - in 2021
Baldwin's lawyers are now pushing for a speedy trial to 'minimize public suspicion and vilification'"

ETA: From article. I don't recall seeing this before, coulda missed it.
"Baldwin remains free pending trial under conditions that include not possessing firearms, consuming alcohol or leaving the country.

"Baldwin can have limited contact with witnesses when it comes to promoting 'Rust,' which has not been released for public viewing.

"Baldwin is prohibited from asking members of the 'Rust' cast or crew to participate in a related documentary film."

Odd. I read here on WS and elsewhere that the arraignment was tomorrow. Maybe a timezone thing? Judge may have decided that the footage can only be released later.

The part about Baldwin being prohibited from asking cast members to participate in that documentary is interesting.

I suppose we will hear tomorrow.

Odd. I read here on WS and elsewhere that the arraignment was tomorrow. Maybe a timezone thing? Judge may have decided that the footage can only be released later.
The part about Baldwin being prohibited from asking cast members to participate in that documentary is interesting.
I suppose we will hear tomorrow.
@10ofRods Strikes me as odd too.

I assume the OP meant AB - but he's not going to take the stand. He's going to listen to his expensive attorneys, IMO.

As he should. No one can be compelled to take the stand against themselves. But I've read elsewhere that people believe that AB can't avoid the spotlight - no matter where it shines. I disagree. I think he's legally savvy and well-defended.
I don't think the State would want to keep AB off the stand.

I thought the OP meant DH.
MOO

The State will need Hall's testimony. They may call him in their case in chief, but perhaps most certainly as a rebuttal witness.
One likely issue for the prosecution is that Dave Halls isn't going to be a great rebuttal witness. He has a long history of of ignoring or minimizing safety concerns on various productions. For example, he was once fired from another movie after a gun discharged and injured a crewman.

He was listed as Rust's 'safety coordinator', but he has denied that means he was responsible for safety on set. If he sticks to that claim during the trial, the defense will have a field day.

It's also questionable as to exactly how much help he will provide to the state. There was a recent hearing in this case where the special prosecutor claimed that Halls has been dodging subpoenas and told the defense that he didn't want to testify:

“Mrs. Torraco sent an email to Mr. Bowles (Hannah Gutierrez-Reed’s attorney) indicating that Mr. Halls did not want to continue to cooperate as his probation had ended. I have a copy of that email. I can share it with the court if you want to see it,” said special prosecutor Kari Morrissey.

I half-suspect he'll claim he doesn't remember to any question that's asked.

One likely issue for the prosecution is that Dave Halls isn't going to be a great rebuttal witness. He has a long history of of ignoring or minimizing safety concerns on various productions. For example, he was once fired from another movie after a gun discharged and injured a crewman.

He was listed as Rust's 'safety coordinator', but he has denied that means he was responsible for safety on set. If he sticks to that claim during the trial, the defense will have a field day.

It's also questionable as to exactly how much help he will provide to the state. There was a recent hearing in this case where the special prosecutor claimed that Halls has been dodging subpoenas and told the defense that he didn't want to testify:

“Mrs. Torraco sent an email to Mr. Bowles (Hannah Gutierrez-Reed’s attorney) indicating that Mr. Halls did not want to continue to cooperate as his probation had ended. I have a copy of that email. I can share it with the court if you want to see it,” said special prosecutor Kari Morrissey.

I half-suspect he'll claim he doesn't remember to any question that's asked.
That is very interesting. But if she claims that she handed the gun to him and never touched it after that, they need Hall to rebut that. The State accepted his guilty plea under the theory that she was the one that handed the gun to AB. They need to now stick with that theory. In accepting his plea, I would assume the State secured his agreement to cooperate further. If they did not and he wont appear, that is a problem.

That is very interesting. But if she claims that she handed the gun to him and never touched it after that, they need Hall to rebut that. The State accepted his guilty plea under the theory that she was the one that handed the gun to AB. They need to now stick with that theory. In accepting his plea, I would assume the State secured his agreement to cooperate further. If they did not and he wont appear, that is a problem.
I think he will gladly testify for the defense.

JMO

Lots in this Feb.1 Daily Mail article seems to be retread info, but this caught my attn.

"The grand jury indictment provides special prosecutors Kari Morrissey and Jason Lewis with two alternative standards for pursuing the felony charge against Baldwin.

"One alternative would be based on the negligent use of a firearm.

"The second alternative for prosecutors is to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that Baldwin caused the death of Hutchins without due caution or 'circumspection,' also defined as 'an act committed with total disregard or indifference for the safety of others.' "

Scary that the prop master was texting about HGR and live rounds on set. How can people be talking about the person in charge of the weapons being in such a state, and nothing was done? I equate this with school personnel suspecting abuse of a student. They are duty bound to report it.

Doesn't he have to appear? Your in contempt if you get served a subpoena but ignore it.

However, could he plead the 5th? Not speak on the grounds that he may incriminate himself?

I know judges can overrule the 5th and say it doesn't apply and put you in contempt of court if you then refuse to answer.

2 Cent questions.

Scary that the prop master was texting about HGR and live rounds on set. How can people be talking about the person in charge of the weapons being in such a state, and nothing was done? I equate this with school personnel suspecting abuse of a student. They are duty bound to report it.

Check out the date the text was sent: four days after the shooting which occurred on Oct 21, 2021. Here's the quote from the article:

In attempting to substantiate an alleged "history of reckless conduct," prosecutors shared a text exchange from Oct. 25, 2021, between prop master Sarah Zachry and ammunition supplier Seth Kenney.

Zachry texted Kenny that Gutierrez had allegedly blacked out the prior weekend and that "I think she was so drunk that she didn’t know she brought live ammo onto the truck when she went to get a gun from the safe," according to the filing.

The article was quite badly written and made it seem like they were talking about a prior incident. I had to re-read it a couple of times. But It seems like the prop master was just guessing that the live rounds were brought on set the day of the shooting because HGR was drunk. It's not a fact.

It's certainly possible that HGR brought the ammo onto the set, but this is just speculation between two people and I don't see how the text would be admissible.

Last edited:
Doesn't he have to appear? Your in contempt if you get served a subpoena but ignore it.

However, could he plead the 5th? Not speak on the grounds that he may incriminate himself?

I know judges can overrule the 5th and say it doesn't apply and put you in contempt of court if you then refuse to answer.

2 Cent questions.
I'm not an attorney but I'd think since he's pled out already, taking the 5th seems an unlikely out. MOO

I'm not an attorney but I'd think since he's pled out already, taking the 5th seems an unlikely out. MOO

I was thinking the same. But I personally would ask for full immunity if there was any chance at all that the prosecution could use something I say against me. His lawyer will counsel him and he should take his lawyer's advice.

I was thinking the same. But I personally would ask for full immunity if there was any chance at all that the prosecution could use something I say against me. His lawyer will counsel him and he should take his lawyer's advice.
Absolutely. Everyone should do the things lawyers routinely recommend. But if for some reason full immunity wasn't previously granted, I'm not sure he'd avoid testifying (unscathed) by taking the 5th. MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skoorboh54