Halyna Hutchins Shot With Prop Gun - Alec Baldwin indicted & Hannah Gutierrez-Reed charged, 2021 #7

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The prosecution has spent a lot of time trying to convince the jury that HGR is the one that brought the live rounds to the set. I’m not sure they have succeeded in that because they haven’t convinced me. I think it is likely that she brought them but haven’t really seen proof of that. But my question is, does it really matter who brought them regarding whether or not HGR should be convicted? Isn’t the armorer still the one responsible for making sure the weapons and ammo are safe?

In no way do I believe this to be the case but for the sake of argument, let’s say that live ammo was intentionally brought to the set by someone who wanted to sabotage the film and they put them on HGR’s cart or where ever it was that she found that mysterious box of ammo that she had no idea where it came from but was so happy to have it because they needed it. Is there any plausible defense to her not individually checking each of the 6 rounds she loaded in AB’s gun? Is there any way that a live round could have been exchanged for a dummy AFTER she loaded the gun? I can only see that happening if either DH or AB INTENTIONALLY did it - there might have been opportunity for one of them to do it but I certainly don’t think they did. But again even if someone else switched it out, she still neglected to check it after lunch and would still be responsible. I don’t think there is any reasonable doubt that HGR loaded that live round in that gun regardless of where the live round came from and to me that is involuntary manslaughter under the “without due caution or circumspection” clause in New Mexico.

I know the trial isn’t over yet - but I’m not on the jury and have not taken an oath not to make up my mind before all the evidence is in - though I do reserve the right to change my mind if the defense is able to bring some evidence to the forefront that creates reasonable doubt for me - I just can’t imagine what that would be at this point.

I think you've kind of hit the nail on the head. Regardless of corner-cutting, poor working conditions, hurried schedule, overconfident actors, and so on, in the end it's the armorer's responsibility to ensure that the firearms and ammo are being handled and used safely. And she clearly failed in her duty.

Unless the defense can show someone switching out the bullets in the gun, then I don't see how she will be found not guilty.

I do have some sympathy for her because I think she was set up to fail, both by the production and by her dad. She clearly didn't have the experience, knowledge or training necessary to hold this position. At the very least she should have had a few previous stints as an assistant armorer (and I don't mean just shadowing her dad). But I don't think she ever realized her lack of competency. It's a true instance of the Dunning-Kruger effect.

So Zachary testified that HGR wanted to provide weapons training for the child actor and was told no by production. That didn’t stop her, she was gonna get permission from his guardian and do it off set. This shows she had extra time and wasn’t intimidated by production. Halls testified that he had no issue with her work performance and he saw her as adequately fulfilling her duties. She was given an assistant, Zachary. When Zachary had an accidental discharge, HGR wanted to fire her essentially. IMO this all shows HGR wanted to be large and in charge. Halls and Zachary give an impression of a confident and assertive HRG. In addition, the day of the incident, things were slow on set due to the camera crew walkout. They were waiting for a new crew and had time to kill. This shows HRG was not some overwhelmed little girl in over her head on that day.

HGR is an immature person. She wants to be perceived a certain way and wanted to be above others but didn’t take her responsibilities seriously. She’s too arrogant and lazy to realize she’s inexperienced and incompetent. A dangerous combination. JMO

So Zachary testified that HGR wanted to provide weapons training for the child actor and was told no by production. That didn’t stop her, she was gonna get permission from his guardian and do it off set. This shows she had extra time and wasn’t intimidated by production. Halls testified that he had no issue with her work performance and he saw her as adequately fulfilling her duties. She was given an assistant, Zachary. When Zachary had an accidental discharge, HGR wanted to fire her essentially. IMO this all shows HGR wanted to be large and in charge. Halls and Zachary give an impression of a confident and assertive HRG. In addition, the day of the incident, things were slow on set due to the camera crew walkout. They were waiting for a new crew and had time to kill. This shows HRG was not some overwhelmed little girl in over her head on that day.

HGR is an immature person. She wants to be perceived a certain way and wanted to be above others but didn’t take her responsibilities seriously. She’s too arrogant and lazy to realize she’s inexperienced and incompetent. A dangerous combination. JMO

Right, this trial is definitely revealing her situation to be much different from what she portrayed to the news media. She was assertive, not overworked, doing things by her own rules. I didn't understand her obsession with giving training to the child actor, even though he wasn't going to be using a gun.

Right, this trial is definitely revealing her situation to be much different from what she portrayed to the news media. She was assertive, not overworked, doing things by her own rules. I didn't understand her obsession with giving training to the child actor, even though he wasn't going to be using a gun.

Agree. Her courtroom behavior mimics her immaturity and arrogance. If she was mature and professional she would realize respect goes without saying in a courtroom setting no matter what reason you are there for.

Her facial expressions are blatantly arrogant. She must be thinking she can get out of whatever she is going to be charged with (if she is charged).

Her negligent actions resulted in Halyna losing her life. I’m not saying everything else was fine but she was the gun keeper. It should have been accounted for at all times.

The fact that HGR went into that police interrogation with such a lackadaisical, know-it-all attitude over the detective tells us everything we need to know about how she approached her job duties. Everyone who testified who was there that day was in tears and clearly traumatized by the incident years later and this fool went into that interview only a month later (right?) acting like she was at happy hour with her friends! Such disrespect! The detective let her think she was in charge until it was time to squeeze and then HGR came across like the emotional toddler she is. I hope she’s found guilty because I believe she is guilty! JMO

I think it was damage control from her last film ( The Old Way) mistake .
BBM

The “inexperienced” armorer in charge of weapons on set of Alec Baldwin’s movie “Rust” had given a gun to an 11-year-old actress without checking properly for safety, a report said….
Gutierrez-Reed reportedly handed the gun to child actress Ryan Kiera Armstrong, forcing concerned crew members to intervene, the report said.

Last edited:
I was surprised to hear DH say he did not give the gun to AB. I thought that had been settled. I’m not sure why he would deny that after admitting he should have checked the ammo and was at least partially responsible for the shooting. So now I’m not so sure that AB wasn’t correct in his interview the day of the shooting when he said HGR handed him the gun.

What are your thoughts?
I believe in his earlier deposition, DH had said it was HGR that handed the gun to AB. So I don't think that has ever been settled.

Another reporter's perspective from yesterday's trial.

We are back in court in the trial against Hannah Gutierrez Reed. The first witness the state called is Brian Carpenter. He owns a production company and has worked on movie sets as an armorer in the past.

The state is showing new video to the jury today. It was taken from a promotions company who filmed behind the scenes extras for the movie rust.

The State’s next wittness is David Halls. The assistant director of the movie rust. He took a plea deal in this case pleading no contest to negligent use of a deadly weapon.

Halls has testified that he believed Rust was a safe set before Oct. 21 2021. And he told the jury that he never had any issues with Hannah Gutierrez Reed or her work as an armorer.

Halls said he was the first one to Halyna Hutchins after she was shot. He said he asked her if she was OK. And she said "I can't feel my legs"

The states next witness is Sarah Zachary. She was the prop master for Rust. So fsr she has testified that they got most of thier rounds from PDQ Props in Albuquerque. But Hannah Gutierrez Reed brought more dummy rounds to set that were loaded into gun belts.

Both Halls and Zachary testified they never remember seeing Gutierrez Reed shake a dummy round to check that it was not a live round. Both added the caveat that it could have happened but they just didn't see.

@spencerschacht

The state, special prosecutor told us after court adjourned for the day that they are hopefully going to rest their case on Monday. But they have a few more witnesses to get through on Friday, including Director of Rust, Joel Souza.

1709308288844.png

@DanaGriffinNBC

DAY 8 of the "Rust" manslaughter trial of armorer Hannah Gutierrez-Reed is underway.One of the key witnesses on Thursday was first assistant director, Dave Halls.

“I need you to unload that gun. I need to know what’s in it.”

Starting the day with defense attorney Jason Bowles cross-examining "props master" Sarah Zachry.Bowles brings up SZ’s immunity agreement with the state to not be prosecuted for her testimony/cooperation.SZ agrees that's true.

Sorry, I don’t believe Dave Halls. This trial makes me think that there is no place for real guns on a movie set. I think replicas can be produced and rented/manufactured as part of the budget. Real guns cost how much? Fakes can’t cost that much more in the long run. Lose the armorer budget and put it into the prop budget. There is something archaic about using a real weapon with real life consequences when there are other options.

Separate note-HGR is more unlikeable by the day. There is so much blame to go around, but her courtroom actions combined with her set demeanor make me think she does not take direction well, nor take her job seriously.

Weisberg pointed to labor issues surrounding the production company behind Rust. The Los Angeles Timesreported that a half-dozen crew members reportedly walked off the set hours before the shooting incident, and others told the news outlet that gun safety protocols weren't being followed while filming.

"A jury could infer, 'Well, on that basis, he should have thought twice, or three times, about the gun,'" Weisberg said. "Even if there hadn't been incidents on that set about that particular gun, but rather, you should have done an inference: 'We're not running the set very well. And I better really be careful here.'"

The incident that led to Lee's death spurred the need for better protocols when using prop guns on set. Following her brother's death, martial artist Shannon Lee told Agence France-Presse in 2021 that mandatory gun safety training should be required for actors.

"It shouldn't happen again," Lee told the news agency.

https://www.npr.org/2023/01/20/1150...t-shooting-death-alec-baldwin-halyna-hutchins

JANUARY 20, 2023

Ultimately, HGR loaded the gun and it was her hand that put a live round in the gun that killed Hutchins. There’s no getting around that. She was careless and arrogant. She’s guilty. JMO

Starting the day with defense attorney Jason Bowles cross-examining "props master" Sarah Zachry. Bowles brings up SZ’s immunity agreement with the state to not be prosecuted for her testimony/cooperation. SZ agrees that's true.

SZ made call to Seth Kenney (ammo supplier) right after shooting - call lasted up to a minute
Bowles: After that phone call you threw away rounds from two actors' guns (not Baldwin).
SZ: Yes. They weren’t the rounds in question and I didn’t think it would matter.

Bowles: Wouldn't you think the police would want to see everything on set?
SZ: Yes
Bowles: The rounds could be possible evidence
SZ: “Sure.”
Bowles asking if she was trying to get rid of evidence
SZ: no

Bowles: Did you text Baldwin after shooting?
SZ: His assistant had personally contacted me - (Baldwin) had requested to talk to me
Bowles: How many calls after shooting?
SZ: 3 - they were theorizing about what happened
SZ says they were also texting after shooting.

Bowles: Reading text from SZ to Seth Kenney about Baldwin having a difficult time remembering who handed him the gun.

Bowles asks if Zachry brought up throwing away rounds to police during first interview.
SZ doesn’t remember. SZ says she told investigators a month later.

REDIRECT from Morrisey: What happens if you don’t give truthful testimony, I can prosecute you can’t I?SZ agrees.

KM: Did HGR call you a “c**t?”
SZ: yes

KM: What specifically was the issue that you and Mr. Baldwin spoke of?
SZ: How a live round ended up on the movie set.

@DanaGriffinNBC

Knowing DH on previous sets, his personality, etc. I can honestly say I see him trying his best to distance himself from the situation during his testimony. He came across as quiet and soft spoken; but I will tell you he is not that way in person. He is known in the industry to be quite the opposite.

However, bottom line, HGR has also tried to distance herself and her responsibility during the years leading up to this trial. What I see - IMHO - is the person who is ultimately responsible for this tragedy on trial. IMHO, she is guilty.

@CourtTV

Hannah Gutierrez hasn’t testified but told investigators in the aftermath of the shooting she left the loaded gun in the hands of David Halls.

LIVE: NM v. #HannahGutierrez, Baldwin Movie Shooting Trial, Day 7Hannah Gutierrez faces up to 18 months in prison and a $5,000 fine if convicted of involuntary manslaughter in the death of #HalynaHutchins on the #AlecBaldwin #Rust movie set. #CourtTV - https://youtube.com/live/aHSsf343vlU

Someone needs to tell the defense attorney that the emoji for don’t talk is a zipper over the mouth - not a hand - which is more of shock or sometimes laughing. I hope the jury knows the difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member