Halyna Hutchins Shot With Prop Gun - Alec Baldwin indicted & Hannah Gutierrez-Reed charged, 2021 #7

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
SANTA FE, N.M. (AP) — A New Mexico judge has approved a $1.15 million settlement between a medic who worked on the “Rust” film set and one of several defendants she accused of negligence in the fatal 2021 shooting of a cinematographer by Alec Baldwin during a rehearsal.

Court records show the partial settlement between Cherlyn Schaefer and prop master Sarah Zachry was approved during a hearing Monday. Schaefer told the judge there’s not a day that goes by when she doesn’t think about what happened, the Santa Fe New Mexican reported.

'Rust' movie medic gets $1.15 million partial settlement

May 9, 2023

While working as an armorer on “The Old Way,” a Nicolas Cage western shot in Montana, Gutierrez Reed sent Kenney a text message on Aug. 15 in which she asked the weapons provider if she could “shoot hot rounds out of the trap door,” the report stated.

“Wtf is a hot round?” Kenney asked in response, to which Gutierrez Reed replied, “Like a pretty big load of actual ammunition,” according to the report.

The report states that Kenney “tells her never to shoot live ammo out of tv/movie guns, and to only use blanks” and follows up by saying, “It’s a serious mistake, always ends in tears.”

“Good to know, I’m still gonna shoot mine tho,” Gutierrez Reed responded, according to the report.

'I'm sorry, I'm sorry I'm sorry.' Documents reveal new details about 'Rust' shooting

UPDATED APRIL 28, 2022

While working as an armorer on “The Old Way,” a Nicolas Cage western shot in Montana, Gutierrez Reed sent Kenney a text message on Aug. 15 in which she asked the weapons provider if she could “shoot hot rounds out of the trap door,” the report stated.

“Wtf is a hot round?” Kenney asked in response, to which Gutierrez Reed replied, “Like a pretty big load of actual ammunition,” according to the report.

The report states that Kenney “tells her never to shoot live ammo out of tv/movie guns, and to only use blanks” and follows up by saying, “It’s a serious mistake, always ends in tears.”

“Good to know, I’m still gonna shoot mine tho,” Gutierrez Reed responded, according to the report.

'I'm sorry, I'm sorry I'm sorry.' Documents reveal new details about 'Rust' shooting

UPDATED APRIL 28, 2022

At some point after the shooting, Souza recalled that Gutierrez Reed stood over him, “hysterically yelling ‘I’m sorry, I’m sorry I’m sorry,” according to Sheriff’s Det. Joel Cano’s summary of his interview with Souza conducted the day after the shooting.

She told investigators that she dumped the rounds from the gun in her hands, handed the rounds to Zachry and told Zachry to go check the box of ammunition, the report said. After checking the box, Zachry told Gutierrez Reed that “there were some bad ones in there,” according to the summary of Gutierrez Reed’s interview.

“Hannah advised she thought it meant possibly one to two rounds from the box, but Sarah told her it was more than half of the box,” the summary read. “Hannah also advised what she thought Sarah meant by ‘bad’ was live ammunition.”

In questioning done not long after the accident, HGR's version of events that day didn't match up with other witnesses.

I’m still trying to get the sequence of events down in my head…it may be just me but it seems to have changed a bit…Currently I see it this way….

1) HGR loaded AB’s gun with 5 dummies before lunch - or at least what she thought were 5 dummies - the 6th one wouldn’t go in - possible debris on the gun or on the ammo or damaged ammo. So the shots of AB pulling the gun out that we have seen were taken before lunch with 5 rounds in the gun.
2) She took the gun from AB and “put it away” whatever that means while everyone went to lunch. According to one of her interviews she did not unload the 5 rounds at this time - just added the 6th round after lunch.
2) After lunch, HGR loaded the 6th round after “clearing” the cylinder — I think - could have been after clearing the barrel…but I think she was referring to clearing the cylinder - well brushing it off or something - but she didn’t seem to know if 6th round before lunch wouldn’t fit because of the gun or the round.
3) HGR then shows the gun to DH and tells him it is a cold gun - I’m a little confused here because I think DH said that HGR unloaded the gun and showed it to him empty and then 5 minutes later had loaded the dummies and showed him it was a cold gun but he only saw 3 maybe 4 of the rounds - meaning if she spun the cylinder that he didn’t catch it or that she did not spin it - but either way he did not see the live round.
4) HGR hands the gun to DH & exits the church
5) DH hands to gun to AB & announces it is a cold gun & steps forward to watch from a position that would put him about 10 o’clock from AB - HH is in about the 12 o’clock position from AB & JS is standing on her left so about the 1 o’clock position.
6) AB puts it in his holster which he slings over his shoulder under his jacket & sits on the pew - though I’m not sure about this because it seems typically the armorer puts the gun in the holster and helps the actor get the holster on or in position.
7) AB takes his direction from HH and draws and is positioning and re-positioning the gun with the hammer cocked fully and the gun fires - either AB pulled the trigger or he released the hammer too quickly the way that SZ did a few days earlier when a weapon she was loading or unloading went off. I’m not sure what weapon that was - it might not have been a 45.
8) AB lays the gun on the pew after the shooting & tries to help with JS & HH.
9) DH picks it up & takes it to HGR’s cart & has her unload it & check the rounds while he watches. There are 5 dummies and the empty that had just been fired - yet neither of them are aware even after looking at it that it was a live round - a real bullet as both are insisting it was a blank that fired and perhaps it was wadding or debris that came out - until they are informed by LE that there was a 45 bullet in JS’s shoulder.
10) In the mean time, SZ collects guns from other actors & takes them to unload & throws away the dummy rounds - though I’m not sure that we know whether or not they were really dummies - that is I’m not sure they were recovered.
11) After the shooting LE arrives and discovers a total of 6 live rounds on set - one that was fired and I think 3 more in the box on the cart but am not sure I have that right and all I saw about the other 2 rounds was “elsewhere on set”.

Please feel free to correct me or add any info you can to clarify any of the above as I said before I’ve not been able to follow all of the testimony nor have I seen all of the interviews and I’m just trying to get a picture in my head because I still cannot fathom that this actually happened.
Re 3, 4, and 5. I believe there is a conflict about who handed AB the gun immediately before the shooting. Here is my understanding of the accounts given by AB, HGR, and DH:
  • AB's interview by authorities the day of the shooting: HGR handed him the gun.
  • HGR's interview by authorities: DH handed AB the gun.
  • AB's tv interview with Stephanopolous a little while after the shooting: DH handed him the gun and said cold gun.
  • DH's trial testimony: HGR handed AB the gun (albeit he says he did not see HGR check the full cylinder before she handed the gun to AB).
Feel free to correct the above if you think my understanding is wrong. JMO.

Last edited:
Re 3, 4, and 5. I believe there is a conflict about who handed AB the gun immediately before the shooting. Here is my understanding of the accounts given AB, HGR, and DH:
  • AB's interview by authorities the day of the shooting: HGR handed him the gun.
  • HGR's interview by authorities: DH handed AB the gun.
  • AB's tv interview with Stephanopolous a little while after the shooting: DH handed him the gun and said cold gun.
  • DH's trial testimony: HGR handed AB the gun (albeit he says he did not see HGR check the full cylinder before she handed the gun to AB).
Feel free to correct the above if you think my understanding is wrong. JMO.
I have a feeling we'll learn the answer before the end of the trial.

I'm still trying to figure out why HGR loaded dummy bullets into the prop gun when they were only blocking camera shots. They weren't needed. Also, if DH called "cold gun", why were there dummies inside. Cold gun means the gun is empty. Why was AB given a prop gun with dummy bullets, but told the gun was empty?

Last edited:

I'm still trying to figure out why HGR loaded dummy bullets into the prop gun when they were only blocking camera shots. They weren't needed. Also, if DH called "cold gun", why when there were dummies inside. Cold gun means the gun is empty. Why was AB given a prop gun with dummy bullets, but told the gun was empty?
I was listening to AB’s police interview and I think he said a cold gun refers to both empty and dummy rounds because the dummy rounds don’t do anything, they are just cosmetic.

I'm still trying to figure out why HGR loaded dummy bullets into the prop gun when they were only blocking camera shots. They weren't needed. Also, if DH called "cold gun", why when there were dummies inside. Cold gun means the gun is empty. Why was AB given a prop gun with dummy bullets, but told the gun was empty?
After listening to the different accounts, I'm leaning towards it was DH who handed AB the gun. Obviously I don't know for sure and I know DH says otherwise.

I don't what happened with loading the gun. I thought DH testified that in the church after lunch, the gun was empty but then a little while later the gun was apparently removed and HGR said she loaded it with dummies. (??) Why would the gun go from unloaded to loaded during the same basic time frame in the church? JMO.

After listening to the different accounts, I'm leaning towards it was DH who handed AB the gun. Obviously I don't know for sure and I know DH says otherwise.

I don't what happened with loading the gun. I thought DH testified that in the church after lunch, the gun was empty but then a little while later the gun was apparently removed and HGR said she loaded it with dummies. (??) Why would the gun go from unloaded to loaded during the same basic time frame in the church? JMO.
I heard DH say that too! He said the gun was empty in the morning, then (for some unknown reason to me) HG loaded it with dummy rounds. I wonder who told her to load it.

Yeah, I wondered about that, too. Why use an empty gun before lunch, but load dummies in it after lunch when they were still just blocking shots. I get the impression that DH, AB and the others on set were accustomed to working with professional armorers, so trusted whatever they were doing. DH must have thought HGR had some reason why she loaded dummies. I wished someone had asked that question yesterday when DH was testifying.

I heard DH say that too! He said the gun was empty in the morning, then (for some unknown reason to me) HG loaded it with dummy rounds. I wonder who told her to load it.
On direct he said the gun was empty AFTER lunch and then when he was basically looking away, HGR took the gun from AB and then told him (DH) she put dummies in the gun, showed him some rounds in the the cylinder and then she handed the gun to AB. It went from empty after lunch to loaded after lunch per his direct testimony. See his direct at 21:00 to 25:00 here.

I was listening to AB’s police interview and I think he said a cold gun refers to both empty and dummy rounds because the dummy rounds don’t do anything, they are just cosmetic.
Yes! This is exactly how I understood it- cold is dummies instead of blanks (which actually bang)

I’m frustrated that I feel I can’t trust any of DH’s testimony.

On direct he said the gun was empty AFTER lunch and then when he was basically looking away, HGR took the gun from AB and then told him (DH) she put dummies in the gun, showed him some rounds in the the cylinder and then she handed the gun to AB. It went from empty after lunch to loaded after lunch per his direct testimony. See his direct at 21:00 to 25:00 here.

I believe DH on this. But why did she put dummies in the gun?

I believe DH as well. He was indignant about it. I tend to think that what AB said on the day of is the correct version. I get that he was traumatized but I don’t think that’s the kind of detail you would mess up. He was unequivocal that day that HGR handed him the gun. Remember, he also said he never pulled the trigger. JMO

I believe DH as well. He was indignant about it. I tend to think that what AB said on the day of is the correct version. I get that he was traumatized but I don’t think that’s the kind of detail you would mess up. He was unequivocal that day that HGR handed him the gun. Remember, he also said he never pulled the trigger. JMO
I don't know, but is it possible that he was afraid to admit to authorities that he took the gun from someone other than the armorer? If HGR really handed him the gun why would he later tell Stephanopolous that Hall handed him the gun? I don't know. JMO.

He closes gate If I’m ready to shoot, I’m gonna *advertiser censored* it.

Hammer is pulled but hammer falls and is captured at “half *advertiser censored*” position, preventing the gun from firing.

@DanaGriffinNBC
What is this *advertiser censored* business? Are they cussing and the censor bot removes the words?

What is this *advertiser censored* business? Are they cussing and the censor bot removes the words?
There's a common handgun component which in another context is an expletive. Every time someone cuts-and-pastes that word from a news article, the Websleuths software is censoring it.

If you're curious, you can go back to the original post and read the source material that's being quoted.

There's a common handgun component which in another context is an expletive. Every time someone cuts-and-pastes that word from a news article, the Websleuths software is censoring it.

If you're curious, you can go back to the original post and read the source material that's being quoted.
No, they're covering profanity. *advertiser censored* *advertiser censored*

Just saw this in Sarah Zachary's cross. She said that she was in touch with AB after the shooting and she texted Seth Kenny and said that AB was having a hard time remembering but he thinks that Dave handed him the gun. 22:43 to 24:10. She also testified that after the shooting she told Seth Kenny that she spoke to AB and "was trying to keep her facts straight." 21:00 to 22:00.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay