Hannah Graham: Body Recovered, 18 Oct, 2014 **Awaiting Forensic Confirmation** #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting.. VA can use Familial DNA in special circumstances..

http://www.timesdispatch.com/news/s...cle_65c19914-6b03-55b5-b686-73cbaf141ab5.html

Virginia News
CRIME SOLVING - August 19/2013

State confirms arrest resulting from familial DNA search
Details aren’t being released at the request of local authorities

Under Department of Forensic Science policy, familial searching is performed only to help solve violent crimes in which public safety remains at risk, other investigative leads have been exhausted, and a chief law enforcement officer makes the request.

Without specifying the type of crimes, Brad Jenkins, program manager of the department’s forensic biology section, said last week that there were several cases linked together by DNA that appeared to have been the work of the same unknown suspect.
“We conducted a familial search and came up with a possible relative … of the perpetrator. Police did their investigation and we did additional DNA (testing) and a person was arrested,” said Jenkins, who added that the trial is pending.

Unlike traditional searches that seek exact DNA profile matches, familial searches comb offender databases for near-matches of people who might be a parent, child or sibling of a suspect who left DNA at a crime scene, but whose DNA profile is not yet in a database.
Close to half of the people incarcerated in the United States report they had a close family member who had also been locked up and, presumably, their DNA profiles are also in databases.

http://www.readthehook.com/89512/dna-advance-harringtons-parents-pleased-familial-approval

"Four months after the parents of murdered Virginia Tech student Morgan Harrington urged the Virginia Crime Commission to allow familial DNA searches to be conducted in unsolved homicides, the state is ready to begin using the tool, Governor Bob McDonnell announced Monday, March 21.

"I think this is going to be very valuable," says Morgan's father, Dan Harrington, "not only in Morgan's case, but in other unsolved crimes throughout the state.""

Or lead someone to refer to them as "tight". Sorry to bring it up again here.

From the moment that remains were found, everything feels "off". One would think that LE would have immediately debriefed SO so that details woud not have been made public. No skull, pants, vertebrae. We still don't know what was found in JM's car, and that's okay with me. It's all about building the case. Now, I don't understand the delay with the ID. It's not like there is going to be a press conference-LE said they will release a written statement when they know and have notified. If the SO was telling the truth, they should know by now. There might be a bombshell with other remains as well, so what are the possibilities? The remains are not Hannah but they are reviewing additional remains from the surrounding area? There's a bombshell that they want to issue a statement on, when they know exactly how many victims they are dealing with?

I think the "how many victims" question is key. Longo has pretty much told us that saying the crime scene is "complex." At one point they were searching in Walnut Creek Park, and they've had search crews combing over the roadways and the property where the creek bed is for days. I really think they have found multiple bones that aren't all from the same person. I think some of those bones may belong to Hannah, and others to other local missing women. Reading the young lady's description of the abduction that happened to her friend makes me think they might want to send divers down in the lake/pond inside Walnut Creek Park and send the cadaver dogs throughout the park as well.

Regarding Yik Yak, I'm fairly sure all the posts are anonymous. You download the app, put in your location (or the one you're interested in), and you can see brief Twitter-like postings from people in the area. There may be more to it than that, but that's the gist of it. I don't think it shows the poster's location to other Yik Yak users, nor do I think there's a way to identify the poster. I'm sure someone out there can clarify/correct better.

Some experts say she could not have decomposed to bones, others say it is entirely possible. So neither tells me much.

FBI CODIS—NDIS Statistics --> Measuring Success
The National DNA Index (NDIS) contains over 11,164,117 offender1 profiles, 2,026,761 arrestee profiles and 583,444 forensic profiles as of September 2014. Ultimately, the success of the CODIS program will be measured by the crimes it helps to solve. CODIS’s primary metric, the “Investigation Aided,” tracks the number of criminal investigations where CODIS has added value to the investigative process. As of September 2014, CODIS has produced over 261,703 hits assisting in more than 250,230 investigations.
http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/lab/biometric-analysis/codis/ndis-statistics

<sniped & BBM - read more>

I highly doubt she thought to go on something like Yik Yak if she was lost. I don't think that is plausible at all.

BBM...Do you have a link to any report that indicated the skull was in bad shape? IIRC, the sergeant who made the discovery said it did not appear damaged in any way (though I don't put a lot of faith in what he was actually able to discern about what he saw)

I remembered the same and I googled it:

"It was not buried, and its location was not far from the road," he told a local television station. "There was not any crushing of any bones. As far as the skull, everything looked to be intact to me."

http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/20/us/hannah-graham-disappearance/

I would be very interested to see this "one report" that Arden is referring to.

ETA: Another thing I remember--before the stories were edited, ostensibly at LE's request--is that Terry initially described the entire body/skeleton to be intact, not just the skull.

ETA again: To me this statement discredits any theory about JLM damaging her teeth to prevent her being identified. I don't think he cared if she was identified or not just as long as he wasn't linked to her corpse. And if not for the video, he probably wouldn't have been.

Curiouser and curiouser. Or maybe I am just misremembering.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxfire..
Interesting.. VA can use Familial DNA in special circumstances..

http://www.timesdispatch.com/news/st...baf141ab5.html

Virginia News
CRIME SOLVING - August 19/2013

State confirms arrest resulting from familial DNA search
Details aren&#8217;t being released at the request of local authorities

Under Department of Forensic Science policy, familial searching is performed only to help solve violent crimes in which public safety remains at risk, other investigative leads have been exhausted, and a chief law enforcement officer makes the request.
Without specifying the type of crimes, Brad Jenkins, program manager of the department&#8217;s forensic biology section, said last week that there were several cases linked together by DNA that appeared to have been the work of the same unknown suspect.

&#8220;We conducted a familial search and came up with a possible relative &#8230; of the perpetrator. Police did their investigation and we did additional DNA (testing) and a person was arrested,&#8221; said Jenkins, who added that the trial is pending.

Unlike traditional searches that seek exact DNA profile matches, familial searches comb offender databases for near-matches of people who might be a parent, child or sibling of a suspect who left DNA at a crime scene, but whose DNA profile is not yet in a database.
Close to half of the people incarcerated in the United States report they had a close family member who had also been locked up and, presumably, their DNA profiles are also in databases.

http://www.readthehook.com/89512/dna-advance-harringtons-parents-pleased-familial-approval

"Four months after the parents of murdered Virginia Tech student Morgan Harrington urged the Virginia Crime Commission to allow familial DNA searches to be conducted in unsolved homicides, the state is ready to begin using the tool, Governor Bob McDonnell announced Monday, March 21.

"I think this is going to be very valuable," says Morgan's father, Dan Harrington, "not only in Morgan's case, but in other unsolved crimes throughout the state.""

Wow, ksj3, thanx for sharing.. Although there was an arrest in the 08/19/2013 article, is there a hidden connection to these two articles that we are not seeing? "Enquiring minds want to know"....'Wouldn't it be logical to conclude that familial dna was utilized in the MH, Fairfax rape, and the HG investigation? jmo

I hope this isn't off topic because I'm not sure what thread it would belong in, but the more I think about it, what a perfect victim lure a cab would be for a predator like JM.

I've taken many a cab in my time and it never occurred to me that the driver might be a threat to me (apart from the scary driving, of course lol). I guess had I even thought about it, I would have assumed cab drivers would have had to go through some kind of background check.

Back in the day when I lived in NYC, I took cabs all the time late at night at times when that would seem to be safer than the subway. If I was tired or ahem had been imbibing, I would have had no hesitation in leaning my head back and drowsing, just expecting that I would be be taken to where I had asked to be taken to, paying no attention to where the driver was actually going.

I can easily envision Hannah as having this same mindset. If he gave her some kind of line about taking her home in his cab he would have seemed much more trustworthy than just some random creepy guy hitting on her. Maybe she left Tempo with him thinking they were going to his cab but then he overpowered her some way before she saw the actual orange car, and that was it.

And then of course Morgan--in her situation a cab that suddenly appeared would have seemed like a godsend.

This has prolly been discussed before but it is possible that JM not only retained his official taxi license<expired>, but also the magnetic taxi cab sign from his previous employment.. it would definitely be an excellent ruse...especially if JM placed the sign on the passenger side door out of view of passing LE cruisers...both before and after the abduction...<sign would face the sidewalk when parked and the right side of the road when enroute to safe haven>

AD from Magnetic Sign Company; 'In seconds, you can transform a vehicle into a rolling advertisement'..

Some experts say she could not have decomposed to bones, others say it is entirely possible. So neither tells me much.
Someone posted something like this upthread, about the study of vultures at Texas State University:

"The video camera was triggered after 37 days when a 30-strong wake of American black vultures – Coragyps atratus – discovered the body and set to work consuming it. They reduced it to bones in just five hours. "

http://sciencebasedlife.wordpress.com/2012/02/08/how-long-does-it-take-for-vultures-to-eat-a-human-body/

"For more than five weeks, a woman's body lay undisturbed in a secluded Texas field. Then a frenzied flock of vultures descended on the corpse and reduced it to a skeleton within hours."
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/03/08/forensics-study-in-texas-focuses-on-vultures/

It would appear that the vultures, having had 18 days to work at the body in this case, could have reduced it to bones in fairly short order.

Regarding Yik Yak, I'm fairly sure all the posts are anonymous. You download the app, put in your location (or the one you're interested in), and you can see brief Twitter-like postings from people in the area. There may be more to it than that, but that's the gist of it. I don't think it shows the poster's location to other Yik Yak users, nor do I think there's a way to identify the poster. I'm sure someone out there can clarify/correct better.

It is anonymous, unless you decide to make it not so. Or someone else does. And you know everyone posting is within 1 1/2 miles of YOU.

POTENTIAL SCENARIO FOLLOWS:

"Check out that chick in the silver sparkly top! WTH is she doing? She been roofied?! LOL" (Up vote 10 times)

"Anybody need a cab ride home? Meet me on the DTM."

"Where on the mall?"

"Down by the Pavillion."

http://www.yikyakapp.com/features/

Frightening.

Is there any way, even for LE, to see what was posted on Yik Yak that night to see if something like this could have occurred?

Turkey vultures are everywhere in VA so yes that is a horrid but likely scenario.

This is really interesting. 5 weeks, only vultures. HG would have been subjected to buzzards, mice, river water, etc.

It's a clean skeleton. Really fast.

And, heartbreaking to imagine a human -a LIFE- could be basically erased like that. :(

It is anonymous, unless you decide to make it not so. Or someone else does. And you know everyone posting is within 1 1/2 miles of YOU.

]

You may want to clarify that your quotes are your speculation - otherwise people may think they are quotes you saw through the app somehow.

Edited to clip quote :)

You may want to clarify that your quotes are your speculation - otherwise people may think they are quotes you saw through the app somehow.

Yes, I totally thought that. ksj3, please clarify I was freaking out for a second.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member