Hannah's Journey on 09/13

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Someone posted on another thread a theory involving the possibility of a Tinder or Yik Yak interaction....this is an extremely plausible explanation of the mission HG appeared to be on that night.

Is there any way to pull up yik yak messages? like greptweet for twitter??

Anyone know? ~ I've not used the app and am not familiar with it

Another thing..didn't HG grow up in Charlottesville?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNxveJ7SdJw

I just watched this video again, everyone was watching Hannah in the news. Please watch this video focusing on the guy in the middle of McGradys with the checkered shirt, at .41-.46. She pauses and waits for him to acknowledge her and then they both leave. Hannah on foot, the guy stands up, but does a double take on Hannah. .43

First, apologies if I mess up this post, I'm new here.

I suppose it's pretty pointless to be posting about this now, but Graham's walk to the downtown mall has bothered me for a while and I just had an idea about what might have happened, so I'm going to go ahead and post anyway.

I went to UVa years ago and lived and worked on the mall for three years--in fact, right on Water Street just a block or so away from where Tempo now is. I must have walked between the school and the mall--down Main Street--a couple hundred times. It seems nearly impossible to me that she would have deliberately walked to the mall via Preston Ave, that's an incredibly roundabout route. But at the same time, I find it equally impossible to imagine any UVa student wandering lost all the way down to the mall area from the university area, even if heavily inebriated. If you were that lost, even drunk you'd phone friends, phone a cab service, you'd stop and ask someone at McGrady's...not just keep on and on walking. Her trip ending at the mall seems too much of a coincidence to be entirely accidental.

It finally occurred to me that she may have been using her phone GPS and input the street number wrong. When she left the last party, she could have gotten turned around and headed up 14th Street in the wrong direction and ended up wandering about for a bit. If she was unable to raise friends with a text message (loud music at parties), she could have decided to use her phone's GPS and tried to input 14th and Main, the central intersection right near both the parties and her apartment. All it would take would be one little mistake--4th and Main rather than 14th and Main--and if she was close to Grady Avenue at the time, the GPS would have taken her straight down Grady onto Preston and then up to the downtown mall, where the intersection of 4th and Main is.

If you see her after she leaves McGrady's in the video posted above, she stops momentarily, and I wonder if she's checking her phone then. Same thing when she's reaching into her back pocket in the mall video. I suppose it's possible she was placing her trust in the phone's GPS rather than acknowledging that something just wasn't right.

As I say, I suppose this really doesn't matter. Feel terrible for her family.

In that video, I have always been 'disturbed' by the man who appears at the right upper corner, I have seen him in different shots of the same video I guess, and I'm just not loving the way he's looking at her. When you say the guy in the middle.. I see HG walk toward that man, he seems to speak to her under the eaves, and then she appears to be walking away all by herself (although the same man did turn around to see that she was walking away and in which direction, etc.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNxveJ7SdJw

I just watched this video again, everyone was watching Hannah in the news. Please watch this video focusing on the guy in the middle of McGradys with the checkered shirt, at .41-.46. She pauses and waits for him to acknowledge her and then they both leave. Hannah on foot, the guy stands up, but does a double take on Hannah. .43

Just out of curiosity I googled mapped directions from Tempo to 14th and Wertland.

I was surprised at the destination... how can I insert a map here? Whoa. Mappers help me.

14th and wertland = University of Virginia Hospitality House - school of nursing, public health, primary care, obstetrics and gynecology internal relations.

I know she's drunk, and this has been talked about, but she is stumbling and walking super weirdly in that video. I don't know, something just seems really out of place.

. . . she could have decided to use her phone's GPS and tried to input 14th and Main, the central intersection right near both the parties and her apartment. All it would take would be one little mistake--4th and Main rather than 14th and Main--and if she was close to Grady Avenue at the time, the GPS would have taken her straight down Grady onto Preston and then up to the downtown mall, where the intersection of 4th and Main is.

This is the best theory or explanation I've seen yet. It would explain a lot: the bizarrely long walkabout, her walking "with purpose" (as L.E. said), and even her reported reply to someone at the door at McGrady's, who asked if she was okay or needed help --- what was it exactly that was reported here on W.S? -- which was something like, "I'm fine. I'm just walking."

Doesn't she appear to stumble coming up towards McGrady's, in the first second of the McGrady's video? I do think she was drunk enough to have stumbled from time to time. Clearly not drunk enough, tho, at the point in the night to have to lean on someone (JLM) and unable to walk under her own steam. So either she did drink at Tempo with JLM --- which seems really strange to me, unless she was just trying to look cool/casual as she waited for a promised ride home -- or she was roofied.

ETA: I agree that her walk in the first Mall video is quite odd-looking. Pitched forward oddly, not the carefree, upright stance of the still shots from the apartment house where she'd been an hour earlier. By then, if she was lost or realized where she'd ended up --- by mistake ended up -- she might feel a bit of panic, just that bad feeling of being alone and in the wrong place late at night.

I suppose it's pretty pointless to be posting about this now, but Graham's walk to the downtown mall has bothered me for a while and I just had an idea about what might have happened, so I'm going to go ahead and post anyway.

I went to UVa years ago and lived and worked on the mall for three years--in fact, right on Water Street just a block or so away from where Tempo now is. I must have walked between the school and the mall--down Main Street--a couple hundred times. It seems nearly impossible to me that she would have deliberately walked to the mall via Preston Ave, that's an incredibly roundabout route. But at the same time, I find it equally impossible to imagine any UVa student wandering lost all the way down to the mall area from the university area, even if heavily inebriated. If you were that lost, even drunk you'd phone friends, phone a cab service, you'd stop and ask someone at McGrady's...not just keep on and on walking. Her trip ending at the mall seems too much of a coincidence to be entirely accidental.

It finally occurred to me that she may have been using her phone GPS and input the street number wrong. When she left the last party, she could have gotten turned around and headed up 14th Street in the wrong direction and ended up wandering about for a bit. If she was unable to raise friends with a text message (loud music at parties), she could have decided to use her phone's GPS and tried to input 14th and Main, the central intersection right near both the parties and her apartment. All it would take would be one little mistake--4th and Main rather than 14th and Main--and if she was close to Grady Avenue at the time, the GPS would have taken her straight down Grady onto Preston and then up to the downtown mall, where the intersection of 4th and Main is.

If you see her after she leaves McGrady's in the video posted above, she stops momentarily, and I wonder if she's checking her phone then. Same thing when she's reaching into her back pocket in the mall video. I suppose it's possible she was placing her trust in the phone's GPS rather than acknowledging that something just wasn't right.

I think this theory is the most likely one I've heard so far. That could explain why she was texting her friends saying she was on Main when she was actually on Preston (my recollection of what Longo said).

I do think you're right. I google mapped McGrady's to 4th and Main, and the route it gave me is exactly the route she walked. 14th and Main would have been near where she was at the beginning of the night.

The streets in that area are all numbered and get smaller as you move east toward downtown. And, then, start increasing again once you get downtown, the north/south are the same street on either side of Main Street. The east/west are two separate streets on either side of first st, which crosses the downtown mall.

There is one problem with this. There is no 14th and Main. Main St. doesn't run to 14th St.

Respectfully snipped for focus. (And oops, bringing this over as I posted this on another thread in response to TheOptics.)

Welcome Optics!

So, I too went to UVa and worked on the downtown mall for a couple of years and walked Water Street many a time....Perhaps we know each other!

What I've snipped here is exactly what I've said/thought from the beginning. Being on the downtown mall that night seems too coincidental to be entirely accidental (I don't even know if that sentence structure makes sense, but I totally get what you mean when you say it! ) I can't figure it out, but something doesn't sit right with me with a theory that she just got lost and ended up down there. Of all places, given where she was supposedly trying to go, it doesn't make sense to me.

There is one problem with this. There is no 14th and Main. Main St. doesn't run to 14th St.

I believe that west main changes it's name when it crosses 14th St. NW and becomes University Ave. so, there is a 14th and Main, which is where Boylan Heights restaurant is, but across the street at the railroad bridge, it is 14th and University.

I believe that west main changes it's name when it crosses 14th St. NW and becomes University Ave. so, there is a 14th and Main, which is where Boylan Heights restaurant is, but across the street at the railroad bridge, it is 14th and University.

Oh yeah you are right. I just looked at the map more closely.

Not to upset the apple cart, but whatever became of the first person of interest? The black male with the beer belly who was seen from 1:00-1:15 am with HG on Main St.? The description is still up on the Charlottesville police site. I take it that this person morphed into JM. I am sure it has been explained but cannot find where.

The Charlottesville Police Department has released the description of a man a witness identified as having contact with Hannah Elizabeth Graham the night she disappeared. This person is described as a black male, 5’10”-5’11”, 250-285 pounds, close shaved head, goatee, with a slight ‘beer belly’. He is described as being in his late 20’s-early 30’s and wearing black jeans and a white t-shirt.

He was seen with Ms. Graham in the 300-500 blocks of E. Main St. on the Downtown Mall in the City of Charlottesville around 1:00-1:15 am on September 13th (Friday night/Saturday morning). He is a person of interest and if anyone has any information on him or saw him this night, please call the tip line. The number is: (434) 295-3851.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truelove
Back