Hannah's Journey on 09/13

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Her cell phone is missing, so they would only know by viewing JM's cell history or by requesting her records. It was at least 36 hours before she was declared missing by the police, if I recall correctly. Any info gleaned on texting so early on likely came from her friends' phones. Just deducing, but I could be wrong.

Okay...I wasn't thinking about where the context of the text messages had come from. That blows my theory that HG was texting JM because the stories of the text messages came out before LE had access to JM's phone. Unless LE wasn't lying about interviewing and clearing JM in the very beginning after all? I think my head is officially spinning......

If she was texting JM wouldn't LE have already sought him out by his cell number instead of discovering him by video? Honest question...

How do we really know that video is the only way they have him connected to her?

She had nothing in common with JLM! I need some info about her being a party girl, to think she was meeting him for drugs! Come on, this young woman would most likely have high expectations of friends, romantic partners.

Oh I agree!

She had nothing in common with JLM! I need some info about her being a party girl, to think she was meeting him for drugs! Come on, this young woman would most likely have high expectations of friends, romantic partners.

I have given this a fair amount of thought too. Most everyone here thinks she could not or would not have had any interest in JLM. Let me just throw out a couple of thoughts. IF they had met before, in real time or online, and they were in the earliest stages of feeling each other out, completely drug-unrelated, I doubt very seriously that he would have told her that he was kicked out of two universities. He very well may have told her that he had graduated from one, perhaps even UVA. He most likely would have told her that he worked at UVA Med Center, but probably wouldn't tell her his duties were basically pushing beds and wheelchairs around. He may have told her he had a far more skilled job, anesthesiologist, nurse, etc. He probably knows enough medical lingo to pull it off in just a breaking the surface chat. As to having nothing in common, she was athletic and he had been a very good athlete in earlier years. I'm sure he probably would have told her about his football and wrestling prowess. Working in a university environment and living in a college town, I would think he was able to interact with college age kids rather easily. If the main reason that people feel she would never have anything to do with him is because she is 18 and he is 32, I would just say that he may have told her he was 25 or 26 or whatever, and honestly, his age may not have mattered if she was interested otherwise. She could have even been flattered that a 'slightly' older guy was interested in her. And to the other reason, which no one wants to mention, is that they are of different races, I would just point out that this isn't the 1950s anymore, even in a southern state. All of this, as usual, is JMO.

"Police have issued a statement to say the black man shown walking with Hannah Graham in video footage released by police has been ruled out of their missing persons inquiry.

The man, seen in the video who has dreadlocks and is wearing three-quarter length trousers, has already been interviewed by detectives.

A spokesman for Charlottesville Police Department said: ‘We already know who the black man in the video is and he has spoken with officers.

‘He has been ruled out of the inquiry.

‘He has nothing to do with Hannah’s disappearance.’

Police have however released a description of a different black man seen with Hannah that they are desperately trying to trace."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ing-teen-followed-stumbled-deserted-mall.html

Now I'm wondering....could this statement have actually been fact rather than fiction? A couple of the sentences sound over dramatic, in retrospect, but who knows? Not me, for sure....

How do we really know that video is the only way they have him connected to her?

I guess I thought in the first day or so they would have the records and meet with anyone she was texting...before they became frantic about finding him. I'm believing when they said they need to talk to him they hadn't already...

I can imagine a smart, academically talented kid like HG sharing a toke of pot or even taking X at a dance party . . . sure . . . but wandering off on foot into the night to make a drug connection alone and somewhat scantily clad? It makes zero sense. Can we put that part of the argument to rest? (I mean, if people think this speculation is somehow helpful to our understanding or sleuthing, can we at least agree she would find pot, or whatever, at a party with friends, not alone?) Furthermore, the theory that she was seeking JM to buy drugs . . . .? Well, that's just whackdoodle. Sorry to be blunt. I mean, why would JM -- if he happened to have drugs and happened to be selling them to college girls, which are two giant "ifs" -- let them walk to find him halfway across the city? He'd drive to them, surely. Surely. Surely this "prowler" who was apparently constantly trying to get close to young, intoxicated college girls would hurry to drive to the young, intoxicated college girls instead of letting them text him and chase him via an hour-long zig-zaggy walk?

Let's move on, shall we? ;-)

Respectfully, what makes "zero sense" is that a "smart,academically talented kid like Hannah....somewhat scantily clad" would be walking to the DM at that time of morning! So if we agree that THAT makes no sense, then I think it is perfectly acceptable to sleuth out the WHY of that. And if that takes us into some unpleasant areas, then so be it. And as others have posted numerous times, JM seems to be opportunistic....perhaps the abduction/rape/murder was not in the plan but was formed when Hannah needed a ride back home? I really don't know , and none of us do, but her behavior that night does not align with the portrait that has been painted of her, so it is only natural that we must think about what was really going on that night with Hannah. Usually, 1 + 1 = 2. Alone, DM, walking with purpose, apparently looking for someone, hanging out at the end of the night with JM..... I don't think we should ignore these things as they may give clues as to what led up to what happened to Hannah.

I dont see HG being a drug user, not with her grades and academic standing.

Some of the most successful people on the planet are "drug users". Anybody can be a drug user. Not saying she was or wasn't.

I was trying to find the article referencing the text that asked someone to come find her. What I found is not exactly what I remember from before:

September 16, 2014
Report: Missing College Student's Last Text: 'I'm Lost, Come Find Me'
http://patch.com/virginia/greateral...llege-students-last-text-im-lost-come-find-me

If this is accurate, it adds more credence to the possibility HG was texting JM when she was at the DM.

So many news sources have stated it in many different formats. The patch in your link has that as the headline but in the body uses that phrase to link to an LE report "Police report that her last text at 1:20 a.m. Saturday to a friend was “I’m lost, come find me,” according to The Roanoke Times. "

However the link to Roanoke times states it as ;
"That’s when she sent a text message to a friend saying she was lost walking home from a party near 14th and Wertland."

http://www.roanoke.com/news/virgini...cle_fa7df5eb-0f59-5ff5-95ad-68737fa35a21.html
CBS6 reports it as a quote saying;

"Search teams originally combed through other parts of Charlottesville on Monday, after they read a text Graham sent at 1:20 a.m., which stated that she was lost near 14th and Wertland Streets.

Another : "Her last text said she was lost near Wertland Street"
http://www.bustle.com/articles/40155-uva-student-hannah-graham-18-has-been-missing-since-saturday

So the reference to the text message at 1:20 is never reported as an exact quote, so to make sense of it we are left speculating.

:cow:

So many news sources have stated it in many different formats. The patch in your link has that as the headline but in the body uses that phrase to link to an LE report "Police report that her last text at 1:20 a.m. Saturday to a friend was “I’m lost, come find me,” according to The Roanoke Times. "

However the link to Roanoke times states it as ;
"That’s when she sent a text message to a friend saying she was lost walking home from a party near 14th and Wertland."

http://www.roanoke.com/news/virgini...cle_fa7df5eb-0f59-5ff5-95ad-68737fa35a21.html
CBS6 reports it as a quote saying;

"Search teams originally combed through other parts of Charlottesville on Monday, after they read a text Graham sent at 1:20 a.m., which stated that she was lost near 14th and Wertland Streets.

Another : "Her last text said she was lost near Wertland Street"
http://www.bustle.com/articles/40155-uva-student-hannah-graham-18-has-been-missing-since-saturday

So the reference to the text message at 1:20 is never reported as an exact quote, so to make sense of it we are left speculating.

:cow:

The police report that the text was 'TO A FRIEND: COME FIND ME" is one of the reasons that makes me think she was meeting JM. You would not text friends back on campus "I'm lost , come find me". That just makes no sense (you would text "I'm lost...come GET me". But you WOULD text the person that you were meeting up with "I'm lost, come find me". Just peeling apart the facts and trying to be impartial in doing so.

I'm going to put my end of the discussion to rest after this post b/c I don't think it's going anywhere as it is clearly a sensitive topic. And I understand that. I just want to say (and I'll just speak for myself) that I have zero judgement if I happen to entertain a possibility- albeit remote- that there may be something to do with drugs in the JM meet-up. I don't think it's likely, but I am just trying, like most of us, to make some sense out of how this horrible thing happened that night. It's merely a brainstorm, like many things here, and nothing more.

whonos, as for wanting some info on whether she partied, it's pretty clear from her f/b and twitter that she did. At least to some degree, and people will make of that what they will based on personal reference. And I want to point out that, as a former UVa undergrad, the school has a reputation for studying hard and partying hard. Many people I knew were excellent students, Jeff scholars, Lawn residents, etc and were serious partiers. It would be shocking to many people I'm sure, but it's true. Not saying HG was. Just giving insight into the culture.

So, I'm done now with my thoughts on this topic. Moving on over here.

Maybe this seems silly but bloodhounds were used in retracing MH's last known locations and found to support eye witness accounts for the most part. I read that SAR dogs were used to search wooded areas for HG early on, but why could they not have been used outside of Tempo or near where JM's car was parked to confir witness sightings. They can track on asphalt or cement, or is the DM too populated in general so too many conflicting scents? I don't know much about SAR dogs but remarkably they could trace MH after 10 days, why not HG after 4 days?

There were dogs all over the downtown mall for days. And all over the rest of charlottesville. There were some hits downtown, and then the trail went dead. Presumably when she got into his car.

Just so we can put that whole WG suspicion to rest. Found the link and posted so it's here, sorry if repost.

http://meredith.worldnow.com/story/26561910/hannah-update

"They were still standing there when our witness left. He thought the gentleman was trying to help her, and hopefully that was the case, and if so we certainly need to speak to him," replied Captain Pleasants.

Wow! It is only a misdemeanor?! He pleads guilty and his one year sentence is suspended. In Fairfax, sexual assault (rape has not taken place) is a felony punishable by life in prison.

...Im telling you, something's not right with that town!

The more I dig...the smellier it gets!

It seems to me it was party night galore at the Corner , for UVA students and Hannah had her particular set of parties she wanted to hit that night, and had a triple play in mind. She apparently started out with dinner at one place, left for another, and was asked by a classmate if he could walk her home,and she demurred, not telling him that she had yet a nother party to attend. LE and students there seem to know where she wanted go. She apparently was in touch with those there. Everyone had his/her own agenda. I think LE is has testimoney and texts that pretty much set the scene as it was for Hannah at that part of the evening.

Roommates do NOT always know what's going on with the peple they live with. This is not a dorm room, but an apartment with separate bedrooms. I 've lived in such arrangements where all of us had our own separate lives and did not hang out. That area where Hannah lived was mainly UVA undergrads, and they felt comfortable going about in that area, at all times of the night, just like campus.

She could have been looking for a familar face, a ride at McGrady's since it was a place she had frequented with her ski team. The name place is listed as a UVA spot, one of the few ifnot the only so mentioned in that mall area. She may have also asked to use the restroom.

I really think she simply got lost going to party #3 because she drank too much, had a poor sense of direction and was playing with her phone as she walked.

Just for clarification McGradys is not in/at the downtown mall.

I'm quite positive that recreational drug use and high grades/academic standing are NOT mutually exclusive. This combination existed in almost everyone I knew in college.

Did you go to UVA or Va Tech? Those two colleges are heavily recruited by the CIA and FBI because the students and families that go there are known for having more conservative values than other colleges such as Harvard and UCLA.

Finally, someone is making sense! Not to offend, but this was not the type of girl into drugs, etc. She was an athlete, and was studying! The party girls that are buying drugs are not studying. These things are on different ends of the spectrum. I saw a news clip of her high school coach and he said, something like, "Hannah would have done something that would change the world". He said all of her high school teachers were devastated. When you are excelling at that level, there is no time for drugs. She seemed sheltered and somewhat naive', so if I have missed some information about her partying and drinking/drugging, please let me know.

YA cause college athletes don't drink and party! .... For a case example of this very things, on this very campus...you might want to look into what YL and GH, where doing all day, before that final fatal encounter.

I think your stereotype is just that a stereotype. And while there are some girls that fit both those descriptions on every college campus. There are also the kids that party hard, study hard, and play hard. Cocaine, ecstasy....are everywhere on college campus's, and easier to get then weed! The culture, when its time to party you party, the stereotype that only the "druggies" do the drugs is long gone.

Image is everything, you keep up the grades, the sports, the clean look...then you can go wild on the weekends!...parents none the wiser.

I'm not saying HG used drugs recreationally, as I didn't know her, I have no clue.

But I also don't believe we can determine, or even suggest its obvious, she definitively did not use drugs.

I think its a fallacy to be making that determination on how she looked, if she played sports, and how good her grades where...

.I think you need to understand the context of the environment she was immersed in...and I think its reasonable to assume that any girl immersed in college culture, especially college culture with money, is at the very least going to be exposed to, if not partake at some point in recreational drugs over their college career. I don't think this in anyway makes them a "bad" person. I think these days, its part of the "college experience".

Oh you'd be surprised! Don't judge a book by its cover.

What I'm surprised at actually, are people making allegations of drug use by a victim without a shred of supporting evidence....on a victim friendly forum.

If I find it offensive how do you think one of HG's family members would feel upon viewing this?

I have given this a fair amount of thought too. Most everyone here thinks she could not or would not have had any interest in JLM. Let me just throw out a couple of thoughts. IF they had met before, in real time or online, and they were in the earliest stages of feeling each other out, completely drug-unrelated, I doubt very seriously that he would have told her that he was kicked out of two universities. He very well may have told her that he had graduated from one, perhaps even UVA. He most likely would have told her that he worked at UVA Med Center, but probably wouldn't tell her his duties were basically pushing beds and wheelchairs around. He may have told her he had a far more skilled job, anesthesiologist, nurse, etc. He probably knows enough medical lingo to pull it off in just a breaking the surface chat. As to having nothing in common, she was athletic and he had been a very good athlete in earlier years. I'm sure he probably would have told her about his football and wrestling prowess. Working in a university environment and living in a college town, I would think he was able to interact with college age kids rather easily. If the main reason that people feel she would never have anything to do with him is because she is 18 and he is 32, I would just say that he may have told her he was 25 or 26 or whatever, and honestly, his age may not have mattered if she was interested otherwise. She could have even been flattered that a 'slightly' older guy was interested in her. And to the other reason, which no one wants to mention, is that they are of different races, I would just point out that this isn't the 1950s anymore, even in a southern state. All of this, as usual, is JMO.

I have a really hard time believing HG would have believed JM was an anesthesiologist! You really think he could have pulled off pretending he was doctor!?! I don't see that as likely, I just don't see JM convincing anyone he went through and graduated from medical school.

As far as athletics, he might have been awarded athlete of the year in HS, but he never played on a winning team. With only 8 wins in 3 years.

I think he did "buddy" up to some college coeds, and perhaps "get them the hook up". But if he was giving girls drugs...I'd be more willing to bet it was for free...like he did with the cab rides.

And I bet what he got out of it was attention from girls who wouldn't otherwise give him the time of day.

I'm not convinced this is how he knew Hannah though, if he did. I'm still on the fence if she had encountered him before that night or not.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RainbowYarnSlueth
Back