Has this case affected your willingness to volunteer?

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
It hasn't changed my mind a bit on volunteering to search. The victim who is waiting to be found suffered far worse than what I would go through if I am the one to find them. My life is an open book, I have nothing to be ashamed of and will take every lick of scrutiny that comes my way if that means one family can have closure.
:clap::clap::clap:The world would be so much a better place if more people had your attitude! Bravo!!!

Probably wouldn't stop me, but I can't say that for sure to be honest.

My thought exactly too. I would like to think that the possibility of having to defend myself if I happen to be the one to find a body wouldn't stop me from helping, but I don't know.

I hate to think of what would happen to my family financially if I would have to hire an attorney right now. Devastating!

I would still volunteer...People like BAEZ are a joke..so bring it on..Volunteer searching will never stop because too many people still care..:woohoo:

I live in Florida. I don't have anything to hide, folks that know me, know me. But I do have personal issues about being folks 'entertainment.' And that is what has happened here to folks on the edge of this story. And folks that shouldn't be in this story.

It has been interesting to see how some folks react to things. Very, very judgmental folks. I'm not talking about just sleuthing things out. But down right judgmental and "high and mighty."

One thing I have learned, is that even if you think you have nothing to hide or nothing to be made fun of... Someone would see different and make a major issue out of something. Next thing you know, your spending tons of time trying to explain to folks, why your 'normal' thing is normal and not a weirdo thing, or a criminal thing, etc. Bringing more attention and a bigger mess.

And that doesn't even cover the 'blame' situation that RK is under.

So, it would depend on how I was feeling at the time. On wither I can take the 'stress' or not. I know I couldn't handle the cost of a lawyer. That would also be an issue I would consider.

Oh, if having a 'past' is going to be an issue. Then the searches are really going to be hurting. I don't know the actual figures, but It seems that a great number of folks have a 'past' of some sort.

It is getting to the point that it seems that everyone at least knows someone personally that has a 'past'. Drugs alone seems to be effecting alot of families.

Which makes the idea that the jury knowing that KC is a convicted person with a record, will make a difference on wither or not she should be believed, etc. I"m not sure they are allowed to say what she did, etc. THAT might make a difference. Just knowing she has a record of some sort.. not so sure these days.

I thought about this last night for a while, funny this thread came up-Morgan Harrington was killed close to here and my husband and I have scouted out some places to hunt down closer to the area where she was found. I though about how far back into the woods and meadows we can get when we're finding a good place to go-and the position you'd be in when you discover a needle in a haystack like that. Will you have to explain to LE why you didn't know it was there?
Thing is, though, RK did not find a needle in a haystack, he found a body left in a fairly obvious place. So the scrutiny is not always the same, unless the defense files a motion casting you as a suspect!
Truth prevails either way, so I would still volunteer in an organized group, or let someone know where I am and have a good, normal reason for being there.

Having thought this out, since yesterday...

I will continue to search with TES, whenever they are in my area and asking for volunteers.

Nope, hasn't changed my outlook at all.

I would still volunteer but I would definitely be carrying a business card for a good lawyer in my address book and would not sign any documentation with out a thorough read of it. Which reading anything you sign is just good sense however I do see this case causing some to be more cautious in how they volunteer.

Great question!

Before this case ever occurred, I searched for Stacey Peterson, and again for John Spira. This case does give me pause as to whether or not i'd do so for another case. Look at the way some people were posting questions about the farmer who found Morgan Harrington, totally made me think of Roy Kronk.

I think anyone who has followed the heartbreaking Caylee case would now have at least a moments pause before searching. I hope that after that moment I would do the right thing and get out there to help that person who could no longer help him or herself. In fact, i'm pretty darn sure I would. :)

I'm currently in the beginning stages of training a search and rescue dog in my home state. I will continue to train her and myself. All I can think of of is " what if this was my child?" I couldn't sit idly by while someone in my area was lost or injured. My Mina dog was born for this job, she has loved "find it" since she was a tiny pup. I feel like if she has the desire and the capability, then its our duty to see that put to use. Baez's defense tactics will be in the back of my head if and when we ever join a team, but its just not enough for me to say " No, I won't search". There are so many other opportunities to get involved in a missing person case, its not all about footpower. Office type work, coordination, fliers, supplies, and clerical duties are always an option for someone to participate in as well.

Please move/delete if this thread is inappropriate, or covered elsewhere. I looked through the threads about thanking the WSers who searched, and know that there are tons of scattered thoughts on this, but wasn't sure if we could have a poll or discussion separately.

I was thinking about all the information released about the key players in this case, including the searchers, and wondered what I would do if this had happened in my home town. Over the last few months I've been very discouraged about my own sense of what is for the overall good, and wanting to keep my name out of any involvement in somebody else's mess. But then I thought about something my brother (R.I.P. dear brother) said in the weeks following the 9-11 attacks in New York. When everybody else was scared to go to the mall or travel by plane or train, my brother and his wife decided they weren't going to give the terrorists one moment of their fear. They went to Disneyland (they lived in orlando), they went out and spent money, they travelled by plane and train for no reason other than to do it and turn around and come home, and they just didn't let them "win".

So inspired by that, I thought to heck with wanting to protect myself. If I don't volunteer on a search for somebody missing in my area, shame on me. Because then Casey wins, and I just can't have that.

So, how does everyone else feel, now that we know what can happen in the worst case scenario?

God Bless your brother for his strength and courage. It has not deterred me one iota. I know how grateful the families (except for the Anthony's) are when strangers gather to search for a loved one. To hopefully bring that loved one home to them. To give them a sense of peace. To allow many to give their loved one a 'proper' burial. I hope no one will ever let anything or anyone deter them from volunteering when able. We have need to keep in mind what we would want people to do if our loved one was missing.

That is a good question. If you think you may be willing to volunteer to search for missing people here are some tips:
1) Get certified as a Search and Rescue Tech, Level 3 or Level 2 (at the least);
2) Be associated with an official search group and do not go out searching by yourself; and
3) Wait for YOUR GROUP to be called out by law enforcement, the fire department, or official organization.

At this point (in Florida, at least), to not be trained and to go out searching by yourself willy-nilly can open up a can of worms for you at trial if you ever find a body or evidence (example: Roy Kronk). Even if you are out there with a group and you are not trained then the defense can have a field day saying you contaminated a crime scene with poor techniques. 'Tis a pity that no good deed goes unpunished.

I am not as upset about my safety or personal contact info being publicly disseminated as I am about the fact that my contribution is being manipulated by the defense team.

I wanted to help find Caylee. My efforts were for her. Now Casey's attorneys are using this effort to defend Caylee's murderer. They are, in effect, saying that since we searched and didn't find her, her body must have been placed by someone other than Casey where it was found.

I knew, when we signed up, that there was a small, small chance that there may be some publicity involved. I decided that this remote possibility was far outweighed by the benefits it might bring in hastening Caylee's homecoming. It never occurred to me that our efforts would ever be used to defend her murderer. I am crushed to see the good intent of so many generous people be turned against them and their cause.

I will never volunteer on a formal basis again. If I feel strongly enough about another missing person or child I believe I would just have to try to search on my own. But even that doesn't work out too well ~ because look what it got RK.

So, yes ~ This does (IMHO) have an effect on volunteerism ~ as much as I hate to admit it!!! :(

I am not as upset about my safety or personal contact info being publicly disseminated as I am about the fact that my contribution is being manipulated by the defense team.

I wanted to help find Caylee. My efforts were for her. Now Casey's attorneys are using this effort to defend Caylee's murderer. They are, in effect, saying that since we searched and didn't find her, her body must have been placed by someone other than Casey where it was found.

I knew, when we signed up, that there was a small, small chance that there may be some publicity involved. I decided that this remote possibility was far outweighed by the benefits it might bring in hastening Caylee's homecoming. It never occurred to me that our efforts would ever be used to defend her murderer. I am crushed to see the good intent of so many generous people be turned against them and their cause.

I will never volunteer on a formal basis again. If I feel strongly enough about another missing person or child I believe I would just have to try to search on my own. But even that doesn't work out too well ~ because look what it got RK.

So, yes ~ This does (IMHO) have an effect on volunteerism ~ as much as I hate to admit it!!! :(

And your post alone negates the defense teams argument that the "chilling effect on future volunteers" no longer exists. THANK YOU for giving of yourself and your time!

And here comes the irony: The Anthony family, including KC, have all voiced their interest in working with Missing Children's groups. GA even showed off a search boat with a fish finder/sonar, which makes me assume they would be looking for both the living as well as the deceased missing.

posted earlier.
nope.....still hasnt changed my choice to do the right thing.

I was a volunteer with TES during the search for Caylee. Would I volunteer again? To borrow a phrase "Absolutely"! In fact, I would love for someone from the defense team to call me up and start asking me questions - I would then have a chance to tell them exactly what I think about them and the case! At this point, in the unlikely event someone did call me, I am trying to decide which would be more fun: Tell them I have no intention of talking to them and hanging up or talking to them for hours and hours (I can talk a long time if I want to :) )and tell them nothing because there is nothing I could say that has anything to do with the search of the crime scene area. This brings me to a question: IF a volunteer is contacted by the defense team - does that volunteer have the right to say - Go stuff yourself (or some similar phrase) I am not talking to you!

I was a volunteer with TES during the search for Caylee. Would I volunteer again? To borrow a phrase "Absolutely"! In fact, I would love for someone from the defense team to call me up and start asking me questions - I would then have a chance to tell them exactly what I think about them and the case! At this point, in the unlikely event someone did call me, I am trying to decide which would be more fun: Tell them I have no intention of talking to them and hanging up or talking to them for hours and hours (I can talk a long time if I want to :) )and tell them nothing because there is nothing I could say that has anything to do with the search of the crime scene area. This brings me to a question: IF a volunteer is contacted by the defense team - does that volunteer have the right to say - Go stuff yourself (or some similar phrase) I am not talking to you!

Hey Mac :wave: Did we search together I wonder?

That's a good question, can we refuse to talk to the defense team?

ETA...Went and asked on the Legal thread for one of our wonderful Attorneys to weigh in on :)

No, I don't think I would search again (especially not in a high profile case like this). I felt safe in my decision to do this search, the defense has me questioning that safety. Now that Baez has started the "lets look at the searchers" campaign, who's to say another defense attorney won't follow suit in another missing persons case ?
I would do it all over again. We can't quit because of people like baez, and the A's.. We must remember what this is about a baby. I traveled from Athens Georgia to Orlando to help search for Caylee. If the stupid attorney wants my pesonal info. then I say give it to him. I say let all the searchers stand up for the right of Caylee, I hope they suppena all of us, so we can tell the horror and pain of what we saw those 2 days while Baez & Cindy tried to stop TM search. Yes I would do it again & again and I believe most of thevolunteers would say the same thing. Give bozo the info.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
softhunterstech