HCPD contacts Florida LE about skeletal remains that were found

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm thinking it could be that there were no teeth to compare. As bad as I hate to say it, there have been cases in the past where teeth were removed to keep remains from being identified .

JMHO, the M's had 3 weeks to prepare the remains for transport. Due to the tremendous amount of awareness & law enforcement resources being utilized in the HE case. The M's likely knew that SM was the primary suspect and that it was just a matter of time before CUE/LE/community searchers were closing in. They may have felt pressured to relocate the remains to FL, using the guise of the half marathon as justification for the trip..

JMHO, the M's had 3 weeks to prepare the remains for transport. Due to the tremendous amount of awareness & law enforcement resources being utilized in the HE case. The M's likely knew that SM was the primary suspect and that it was just a matter of time before CUE/LE/community searchers were closing in. They may have felt pressured to relocate the remains to FL, using the guise of the half marathon as justification for the trip..

But they were being eyeballed from the 20th on (give or take) - who in their right mind would relocate a body? Well, okay certainly Tammy is not in her right mind, I give you that.

Bumping; "Body Watch" how do you cope?

http://peace4missing.ning.com/forum/topics/body-watch-how-do-you-cope

"Body watch" is it a taboo subject? Almost all families of the missing go through it. I did. And, now I sit this watch with other families of the missing. But why does it seem to be so hush-hush?
Some families I know don't want to know when body watch is taking place and that is their prerogative so we don't hear from them too much. Others very much want to be a part of it and that is also their prerogative yet they don't seem to talk about what they went through on body watch.
Many aspects of what the families of the missing face are rarely discussed in public, but body watch seems to be the least talked about even though it is what is on the minds of all families every time a body or bones are found anywhere.
<sniped-read more>

nope. pain mgmt Dr wants me to go see surgeon, says I shouldn't still be in pain. I think that's crazy, I've got a 4" slash between shoulder blades & a 5" gash in lower back. but nope, 3 1/2 days of meds, now I'accomplishmenm back down to 5mg twice a day. they're crazy, I can barely get to my bathroom, no way am I going to than Dr! ugh!!!!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

This is appalling, floridamomma.
Last April I was burned in a fire and immediately went to ER. I told them up front I was in pain mangt and what I took. They did give me a shot of diluadid which helped me to get to sleep 'cause I was having surgery in morning.

I did not get rx anything, but I called my pain doc and went in and he gave me another rx 'cause I was about to run out. That is how strict it is around here. Florida sure clamped down and we have the abusers to blame for that. All those laws do is send legit patients to the street for pain relief and thats sad.

Sorry off topic.

This is appalling, floridamomma.
.....All those laws do is send legit patients to the street for pain relief and thats sad.

Sorry off topic.

so true! I'm praying med marijuana passes in Nov!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

The way that article is written --- I have a pit in my stomach. :(. I think there must be a possibility of it being Heather. :(

The fact they weren't able to say for sure it's not her........

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I bet they have M's pings and possibly know if their phones pinged anywhere close to the remains. But didnt they leave 3 weeks later? If they were hauling HE there would be decomp in their vechicle.

I don't understand. In another article posted here, the man that found the remains says he was told by a deputy that it looked to be a child (female). Not adult, not infant.

Also, it is a "bag of bones" according to Volusia County FB page.

I don't think there is a chance that this is Heather. :(

It states 'no direct link to Heather Elvis found' but then later, 'It's still too soon to say whether or not the skeletal remains found last week in Florida are linked in any way to the Heather Elvis case'

Soooo, which is it :waitasec:
It's both. No direct link, like clothing, or ID, but that doesn't mean they couldn't find a link as they investigate, like DNA.

Unless the Ms picked her up from whatever location they disposed of her in the first place on the way to FL, I doubt that is Heather. Cadaver dogs picked up no scent at the M home, so they must have taken her elsewhere-http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/2014/02/21/4046857/police-have-two-in-custody-related.html

They sure are quiet about this! I would have thought they'd say male/ female or child/ adult by now ...

Makaroni, I'm wondering if the spokesman for the Volusia County (Fla.) Sheriff's Office will honor the Horry County, SC Judge's gag order if the remains are determined to be HE? I was impressed with the transparency(sunshine) by the VCSO PIO instantly replying to a posters question on their facebook page..

<BBM & sniped from My Horry County News article linked below>

County police are now under a gag order and wouldn't discuss the remains late March 21, citing the gag order.

http://www.myhorrynews.com/news/crime/article_4ed58492-b6ba-11e3-b1bb-0017a43b2370.html

I bet they have M's pings and possibly know if their phones pinged anywhere close to the remains. But didnt they leave 3 weeks later? If they were hauling HE there would be decomp in their vechicle.

Not if she was put into a container and put into the back of their truck or strapped to the back of the Mickey camper.

Makaroni, I'm wondering if the spokesman for the Volusia County (Fla.) Sheriff's Office will honor the Horry County, SC Judge's gag order if the remains are determined to be HE? I was impressed with the transparency(sunshine) by the VCSO PIO instantly replying to a posters question on their facebook page..

County police are now under a gag order and wouldn't discuss the remains late March 21, citing the gag order.

http://www.myhorrynews.com/news/crime/article_4ed58492-b6ba-11e3-b1bb-0017a43b2370.html

I don't know what to think anymore!! :scared: it all seems odd, but I suppose it could be another missing person ... I think I just want Heather home so her family can give her a proper funeral and burial ... :(

Horry County police have told Waccamaw Publishers television partner WMBF that there's no specific reason to believe the remains found in Florida are tied to the Elvis case.

Same article, but essentially saying not her...imo.

Give that the remains were just bones, that doesn't fit with a person deceased for 3 months. Further, given that vegetation had infiltrated the bag to grow inside, that also doesn't fit with a person in a bag discarded and the elapsed time is 3 months. To me it sounds like the person has been deceased for much longer than 3 months, maybe more like a year at a minimum.

If it's not Heather (and I don't think it is) I really hope it's Haleigh Cummings

I haven't had a chance to read about the specifics of gag orders in SC, but I read up a lot on them for Lauren Giddings' case in Georgia. GA and SC tend to have similar legal procedures etc, so it may very well be a very similar three prong test that determines what comments can be made extrajudicially, with just as loose/general of a burden to meet.

I. implications about the defendant's character, credibility, reputation, or criminal record
II. an opinion as to their client's or the accused guilt or innocence
III. remarks about evidence the lawyer knows will be inadmissible

The question in Lauren Giddings' case was if more "if her remains are found, would that be confirmed before the trial?" And it seems like opinion leaned towards "yes, it would be," with some exceptions as to what would be "questionable" ways for case players to do so:

&#8212;Crime scene specifics and animal scattering concerns
&#8212;How long they've been there (IMO it's a leading question that hints at the possibility of a different culprit, so however both sides answer could be seen as confidence in the accused's respective guilt or innocence)

As many of you have said, the longer this case goes without a body, the tougher it may be for the prosecution. Even if both sides are now aware that it is very strongly thought the remains are HE's&#8212;or the opposite&#8212;they wouldn't be able to say so under the gag order either way, since it could be seen as leading public opinion to think it's somebody else's remains (and therefore strengthening the idea that HE may be alive/disposed of somewhere the M's couldn't possibly have gone). If they know it's her, they likely wouldn't say so because that would bring questions like "when were they left there" and directly connecting the line of questioning to how that date/location relates to the M's would hint at the speaker's beliefs about their guilt or innocence.

If there weren't a gag order, and let's say they have surveillance of someone dropping the remains off and they're confirmed to be HE's, obviously the defense would be jumping at the fact to point out that it couldn't have been the M's, since they were already incarcerated. With the gag oder, they can't. If there weren't one, obviously those concerns wouldn't be there and both sides could freely discuss the significance of the discovery, though they probably wouldn't anyway, in the same way they're not discussing what evidence was found at the M's.

Am I on the right track with any of that?

Sorry for the novel, when I was researching this for LG's case I realized I knew absolutely nothing about gag orders and was confused about what to expect from upcoming interviews/media releases. IMO the Horry County gag order will mean much more silence from now on, since unlike LG's case, no remains have been found at all (as far as we know). It's still pretty confusing to me, and I could be very very wrong about any or all of the above.

Pardon any typos..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member