HCPD contacts Florida LE about skeletal remains that were found

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
http://articles.orlandosentinel.com...eland-20140403_1_trash-bag-human-bones-deland

You'd think they would give basic info like sex, approximate age, or length of time remains have possibly been there ...

It's really bothering me that they are not releasing the basic info you mention. Between that and the gag order, I am beginning to think this very well could be Heather.

But on the other hand, it was previously stated that the body was of a child. Heather was so tiny, she surely could have been mistaken for younger than she was. In the article you linked, it says "Hopefully, through their analysis, they'll be able to generate a profile as to the race, gender and approximate age of the victim as well as any individual characteristics that may aid in the identification process,'' So is this body of a child as previously reported or do they really have no clue yet? It is confusing for me.

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com...eland-20140403_1_trash-bag-human-bones-deland

Sounds like LE is being very thorough regarding their 'very preliminary findings'.

Here's a link to the C.A. Pound Human identification program and the forensic anthropology program at UF.

http://anthro.ufl.edu/department-subfields/biological-anthropology/forensic-anthropology/

Hmm seems like stalling tactics! Surely they have faith enough in the local ME to release preliminary findings. They can't even give out male or female info?? I smell fish :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hmm seems like stalling tactics! Surely they have faith enough in the local ME to release preliminary findings. They can't even give out male or female info?? I smell fish :)

MissUnderstood, I agree about the stalling tactics. It sounds to me like they have an idea of the identity of the UID but are covering all bases by sending the remains to the UF forensic anthropology lab before any info is released. Or maybe LE doesn't have a clue and is trying to match DNA with missing persons.

One would think LE could at least say if the remains were male or female because it has been 2 weeks? now since the remains were discovered. The thought that perhaps it was partial remains crosses my mind. Ugh hate typing that!

wm

If the remains are old and incomplete, or if they have been burned or exposed to chemicals, it can be very difficult and time consuming to get DNA or other information. Some of the processes for getting DNA from old bones take weeks to run.

It could be about cause of death, too.

Within hours of finding a skull yesterday, Tulsa PD stated it was a white female 30-50 years old. There is no way I believe forensics is the delay in FL to give a partial description to the public. LE knows and they are dragging it out. Right or wrong, it is at their discretion to do. I guess with the large number of missing children and adults in FL, they don't want to jump the gun. However, they DO know the basic information.

OK OK-Tulsa-Female Skull Found, 30-50 Years Old - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

Within hours of finding a skull yesterday, Tulsa PD stated it was a white female 30-50 years old. There is no way I believe forensics is the delay in FL to give a partial description to the public. LE knows and they are dragging it out. Right or wrong, it is at their discretion to do. I guess with the large number of missing children and adults in FL, they don't want to jump the gun. However, they DO know the basic information.

OK OK-Tulsa-Female Skull Found, 30-50 Years Old - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

That's exactly what I thought. Normally, we hear pretty quickly some basic information, even if it is skeletal remains. Seems odd that they are so tight lipped about gender, approximate age, etc. Just my opinion ...

If by chance this is Heather (Florida) I cannot imagine a gag order would mean this info would be withheld for a year. Maybe it could not be discussed by either side, but surely a police announcement could be made, so that she could be buried, etc, but jmo.

What would be the reason for stalling?

If by chance this is Heather (Florida) I cannot imagine a gag order would mean this info would be withheld for a year. Maybe it could not be discussed by either side, but surely a police announcement could be made, so that she could be buried, etc, but jmo.
Oh, I hope you're right.

I'm not sure if there is already a thread about this but.... is anyone else bothered by the media trying to appeal and argue with the gag order? As much as I want all information to be available but I feel the media lacks respect in this matter.... I am ok with the decision of the court because they are trying to protect the case and justly so.... There are cases that our media has barely covered such as AB who was found murdered under the bridge and if the local media reported on it 5 times that may be a stretch. It seems that they are not only being selfish and disrespectful but appear to want what they have been denied all to stay in the spot light.... JMO, but the vicious news reports from disrespectful journalists and reporters is really getting to me! Sorry just had to vent!

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

I'm not sure if there is already a thread about this but.... is anyone else bothered by the media trying to appeal and argue with the gag order? As much as I want all information to be available but I feel the media lacks respect in this matter.... I am ok with the decision of the court because they are trying to protect the case and justly so.... There are cases that our media has barely covered such as AB who was found murdered under the bridge and if the local media reported on it 5 times that may be a stretch. It seems that they are not only being selfish and disrespectful but appear to want what they have been denied all to stay in the spot light.... JMO, but the vicious news reports from disrespectful journalists and reporters is really getting to me! Sorry just had to vent!

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

It's a process. There are laws. This county & their rights are being sought. I've seen it before. Especially in FOIA states. Love the Sunshine Law though. jmo

:seeya:

What would be the reason for stalling?

I'm really not sure! Has this little info ever happened in remains being found? I understand some can take a long time to identify, but does it usually take so long just to even know gender?
There are many people wondering if this could be there loved one and even just stating if it male of female could relieve at least half of those people's emotions right now.
I guess my opinion is more emotional than logical :)

I'm really not sure! Has this little info ever happened in remains being found? I understand some can take a long time to identify, but does it usually take so long just to even know gender?
There are many people wondering if this could be there loved one and even just stating if it male of female could relieve at least half of those people's emotions right now.
I guess my opinion is more emotional than logical :)

I don't know what the average time table for results is but when Laci Peterson's body floated to shore, her remains were identified rather fast....within days of being found.

Wouldn't there be enough DNA on the sheet that was found with the remains to give them a profile to compare? Someone wrapped up a body...not a skeleton.

I don't know what the average time table for results is but when Laci Peterson's body floated to shore, her remains were identified rather fast....within days of being found.

That makes me even more curious!! If the remains/bones were in a bag then there is more than one bone that can distinguish between gender! Where all of those identifying bones not there? Was it not a full skeleton? Curiouser and curiouser! Back down the rabbit home for me :)

How far away were the remains from where Trenton Duckett is missing? His is one case I want solved. Well, I want them all solved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Patturelli