HCPD contacts Florida LE about skeletal remains that were found

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Unfortunately, that misplaced idea that people don't get arrested by the police and charged with murder unless there's enough evidence is the reason that some jurors convict with highly circumstantial evidence where there really should have been reasonable doubt.

We instinctively want to believe the police, and we certainly want to believe that our judges and officers of the court are only interested in justice. However, that isn't always the case.

Circumstantial evidence is evidence. It's given the same weight as direct evidence. Evidence is evidence. It's up to a jury to decide what weight to give the evidence and what to toss away. The jury decides if the state met their burden BARD.

Yes, people get arrested and some also get released. No, not everyone, and no, the system is not perfect (far from it). I do think most people in LE and most DAs and most judges do care about justice and are generally honest people. Not all, nothing is 100%, and that's a shame, but yes most. I don't walk down the street paranoid about being arrested, never have.

Bringing this back around to the HE case, because that's what this is about about, I do not believe either SM or TM are being railroaded and are in jail because Horry County just thought it would be swell to arrest and charge them with kidnapping & murder. That doesn't make them "guilty," as only a jury can decide that, but I do believe there is probable cause for the charges that are not in dispute.

This case is not about the wrongly convicted. It's about a young woman who is missing and was murdered and there is evidence of some kind linking this particular couple to that disappearance and that murder.

Not sure if this is the right thread, but a body was found in cape fear river. This river runs through Wilmington,NC all the way to Greensboro,NC. Wilmington is about an hour and a half north of Myrtle Beach. This body was found in Fayetteville, but who knows where the came from at this point. http://m.wect.com/#!/newsDetail/25172580

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cape Fear River flows south from way north of Wilmington, through Wilmington down to Southport, NC where it meets the ocean.

Cape Fear River flows south from way north of Wilmington, through Wilmington down to Southport, NC where it meets the ocean.

Cape Fear river in Fayetteville, where this body was found Saturday runs not far behind Froggy Bottom Bar on Ramsey where Kelli Bordeaux was last seen. If it's her it would taint the story of the employee that said he drove her home.

Is it just me, or are these remains taking a REALLY long time to identify?? I've seen a few other cases of remains already identified and those people have been missing several years?!

Is it just me, or are these remains taking a REALLY long time to identify?? I've seen a few other cases of remains already identified and those people have been missing several years?!

Well, LE said these remains had been there a long time...

The longer we wait to find out who the remains belong to, the more and more I think it is H.E. I know all the MSM articles go against what I am saying, but it is just my opinion.

The longer we wait to find out who the remains belong to, the more and more I think it is H.E. I know all the MSM articles go against what I am saying, but it is just my opinion.

I've been thinking the same thing. :(

The longer it takes to ID remains the older it tells us those remains may be. These remains appear to be (based on description) much older than those of a person missing 2 or 3 months. We have to account for the fact that vegetation was growing up and into the discarded bag and the bag itself essentially disintegrated when it was disturbed. How realistic is it that a corpse of 3 months would be in that state with vegetation growing up and in and around the bag? A corpse of 3 months would still have hair, there would still be some skin though possibly mummified.

The remains may not be fully intact, there may be missing bones. There could be a lack of comparative DNA. HE's dental records and DNA are available in a database. It's possible this missing person's DNA is not anywhere in a database and that could add significant time to ID them if they don't match any other missing person in whatever database is being searched.

The longer it takes to ID remains the older it tells us those remains may be. These remains appear to be (based on description) much older than those of a person missing 2 or 3 months. We have to account for the fact that vegetation was growing up and into the discarded bag and the bag itself essentially disintegrated when it was disturbed. How realistic is it that a corpse of 3 months would be in that state with vegetation growing up and in and around the bag? A corpse of 3 months would still have hair, there would still be some skin though possibly mummified.

The remains may not be fully intact, there may be missing bones. There could be a lack of comparative DNA. HE's dental records and DNA are available in a database. It's possible this missing person's DNA is not anywhere in a database and that could add significant time to ID them if they don't match any other missing person in whatever database is being searched.

IIRC, the person who found the remains stated there was a skull, or am I mixing up my cases? I agree, I can't think of a single case where dental records were available and they delayed announcing the identity beyond a few days. I feel Heather's body is still within the SC state boundaries somewhere
icon9.gif

If this is the body of a person who is not in the system for DNA or dental, it could take, literally, years to make an ID. IMO, no way is this Heather, if the remains are are decomposed as has been said. Just look in the "Unidentified" forum to see how many are never identified. And I can't even guess at how many times we have read about bones being found and never hearing another thing. Happens (far too) frequently. Jmo

This reminded me of the bones that were found at the very beginning of the search for Heather.. by the power lines. Tidewater? Did anything more come of that? I know they weren't related, but it was still strange. But so is how frequent these discoveries seem to be in SC/NC.. either there are fewer murderers here in GA or the murderers are smarter, both of which I doubt.

Honestly, I do not believe this is Heather Elvis. :sigh:

Sadly it reminds me of Stacey Peterson, every time any remains are found, no matter where, everyone jumps up and says. "It could be Stacey". :sigh:

These remains have been there too long.

Sadly, it won't be Heather.

This is near Summerville (13 miles). No other info and it was first reported 4 hours ago except a picture of what looks like an abandoned trailer, no windows. It's one of the missing sadly.

Harve Jacobs ‏@policereporter · 4h
Breaking: Body found in a trailer on Highway 61 in Givhans in Dorchester County. #chsnews

https://twitter.com/policereporter

Meaghan Wallace ‏@MeaghanLive5 · 3h
Dor. Co. Sheriff's Office investigating a body found in this trailer in Givhans. #live5 #chsnews pic.twitter.com/PWSY59ZS5u

https://twitter.com/MeaghanLive5

Bk9w09CIIAA4_YY.jpg

Meaghan Wallace ‏@MeaghanLive5 · 1h
@pdbuck3 2125 Hwy. 61. Property has a white trailer and red shed on it. Neighbors tell me they didn't think anyone was living there.#chsnews

https://twitter.com/MeaghanLive5

(wish they'd give some details!)

Meaghan Wallace ‏@MeaghanLive5 · 1m
BREAKING: Body found in Givhans is that of a missing man from Berkeley Co., according to Dorchester Co. Coroner's Office. #chsnews #live5

eta,

Harve Jacobs ‏@policereporter · 4m
Body found in Berkeley County identified as Drew Shumway, reported missing from Berkeley County. #chsnews

I can understand that the body found in Fla. weeks ago has not been identified but I am puzzled that they cannot or won't say that it is not Heather. I have to believe they could have eliminated her by now????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Patturelli