HCPD contacts Florida LE about skeletal remains that were found

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Holly Bobo has been ID already, so I would ink this person is also through DNA, but no ID given? Could this person be an unknown missing...............

Holly was ID'd so quickly as it was her skull with teeth - and ID was on dental records :moo: and not DNA

I would atleast think they have the ability to rule out HE... that's the part that makes me question that there is still a possibility that it is HE. I also feel that the defense attorneys are making there requests of discovery because they may want to know any info, conclusive or not, from the testing. Perhaps they are a little worried. They would m i st likely have a lot of changes to make to there defense based on the findings alone.

My opinion is, if FL knew who the person is, and it isn't HE, they would release the info because of the sunshine laws in FL. I'm thinking the only reasons to keep it quiet is, either they still don't know or because SC asked them to.
All MOO

What! I haven't been following lately, but the remains were wrapped in a mickey mouse sheet! A shower curtain and pink bathrobe. That is just to interesting. I hope they release the name to the family at least, if they've got it.

Quite a few people here have speculated that the robe belongs to Heather (if this is her), suggesting that perhaps she had put on a robe after coming home from her date, and then went out to meet SM while wearing it, instead of dressing again before leaving. To be honest, it never once occurred to me it was her robe. I always figured it belonged to the person(s) who killed her. I don't know many 20-somethings who own bathrobes (speaking as a parent of 20-somethings). Most I know throw on sweatshirts/hoodies or a shirt as a cover-up. :moo:

That said, I'm inclined to believe that this is not Heather. I would think that if it's her, they have the technology to identify her. And I see no purpose in keeping it quiet if it is her. A gag order would not prevent authorities from letting a family know they've found the body of their daughter. They would simply use the gag order to prevent discussion about the cause of death and any other evidence they may have found with the body. But I think they would let a family bury their loved one as soon as possible. :cow:

Weird thought, I wonder if the curtain was a shower curtain...

Definitely possible I think. I would love to know if she owned a pink bath robe (since it seems she was in the middle of dressing or had just gotten out of the shower) and if her bed sheets or shower curtain were MM print. Details not available to the public.

Only one way to find out. I asked on the find Jenn page. I'll let you know if I get an answer.

A little off topic here but I just came from Holly Bobo's thread :(

How could they confirm the identity of Holly, from just a skull, so quickly, but nothing about these remains? :thinking:

A little off topic here but I just came from Holly Bobo's thread :(

How could they confirm the identity of Holly, from just a skull, so quickly, but nothing about these remains? :thinking:

Dental :Moo: as no time for dna

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

Holly Bobo has been ID already, so I would ink this person is also through DNA, but no ID given? Could this person be an unknown missing...............

Holly was ID'd so quickly as it was her skull with teeth - and ID was on dental records :moo: and not DNA

I forgot to read backwards. I should have known some of our awesome members would have questioned the same thing :wink:

What! I haven't been following lately, but the remains were wrapped in a mickey mouse sheet! A shower curtain and pink bathrobe. That is just to interesting. I hope they release the name to the family at least, if they've got it.

To my knowledge, it has never been stated to be a shower curtain although it's been speculated on here as a possibility. Unless I missed something which is always quite possible. I think it a strong likelihood it would be shower curtain, which would be a better barrier for body fluids, but I've never seen it confirmed, or even stated, anywhere but on here.

I don't know if it was a shower curtain, I was just wondering if it was

The thing that nags at me about the Deland remains is, the report states that Dental information / charting is available and entered, yet there has been no identification. If it is Heather, could they notify the family but not make a public announcement because of the gag order?

Imo they have an idea or already know who this is...why else have a gag order, also moo but I think they sent the remains to the other lab to get more information, especially if they are better equipped.

Gag order

"A gag order (also known as a gagging order or suppression order) is an order, typically a legal order by a court or government, restricting information or comment from being made public, or in some cases, passed onto any unauthorized third party. The phrase may sometimes be used of a private order by an employer or other institution.
Gag orders may be used, for example, to keep legitimate trade secrets of a company, to protect the integrity of ongoing police or military operations, or to protect the privacy of victims or minors. Conversely, as their downside, they may be abused as a useful tool for those of financial means to intimidate witnesses and prevent release of information, using the legal system rather than other methods of intimidation. Strategic Lawsuit Against Public Participation (SLAPP) orders may potentially be abused in this way.[citation needed]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gag_order

From Lawyers.com:
http://criminal.lawyers.com/criminal-law-basics/criminal-trials-gag-orders-control-publicity.html

"Gag Orders Used to Control Publicity

A gag order, also known as a protective order, is an order from a judge in a criminal trial that restricts information or comments from being made public. Gag orders provide protection to parties, witnesses or potential jurors.

Gag orders are a judge's means for controlling publicity about court proceedings. They may be used to control either pretrial or trial publicity.

Generally, gag orders prohibit the trial participants from talking to the media. Gag orders are most often used in trials involving high-profile cases, such as those with celebrities or particularly gruesome crimes. The use of a gag order helps to ensure a defendant's right to a fair trial in cases where there is a lot of publicity."

"Courts try to balance the rights of the criminally accused and the public's right to know. Gag orders are a traditionally acceptable mechanism to strike this balance by preventing the disclosure of certain information that could unfairly influence the outcome of a case."
"No Authority to Stop Reporters from Reporting on Case

A court can only order participants in a case not to comment on it. A court has no authority to stop reporters from reporting on a case. However, judges may be able to control how the media contact trial participants. For example, a judge may order all court personnel, counsel, witnesses and jurors to not speak directly to the media during a trial."

BBM: With all that quoted, IF Horry County has reason to believe the Deland (or any other) remains MIGHT be Heather and they want to get enough jurists from the area for a fair trial, they would be hesitant to release any information into public documents if they can avoid doing so. In addition, no finished tests, no finished paperwork. JMO, and may not apply here.

Let's speculate that LE thinks they know who it is, and have sent the remains on to another lab with the instructions to get them the results back by X date, so they can turn the information over to defense. LE HAS information on Heather, but it has not been entered (for various reasons). That comparison cannot be done until that information is entered, so none of the other labs have done it. If everything is lined up in the proper way by LE, that lab will most likely not be getting those results back until EXACTLY that date. Which leaves less time to contaminate the jury pool. It's in keeping with the rules, gets the information to defense in time, and keeps it out of the media. This is JMO based on purely random speculation from watching other cases.

Bumping article from 03/21/2014;

HCPD contacts FL authorities about Elvis case after skeletal remains found
Posted: Mar 21, 2014

Scene in DeLand, Florida were human remains were discovered.
CONWAY, SC - The Horry County Police Department is in contact with the Volusia County Sheriff's Office in Florida after skeletal remains were reportedly discovered earlier this week.

Lt. Robert Kegler with the Horry County Police Department confirmed the communication between the two law enforcement agencies Friday afternoon.

WKMG Local 6 - based in Orlando, FL - reports a garbage bag containing human remains were discovered Thursday afternoon by a man collecting garbage along the Oak Street near International Speedway Boulevard in DeLand. The man who discovered the bag, according to WKMG, claims a deputy told him the remains appeared to be that of a young girl.

Just over 3 weeks after Elvis disappeared, Sidney Moorer ran in the Walt Disney World Half Marathon as part of the "Give Kids the World" Team, as News 13 previously reported on. According to Tammy Moorer, without training for the run, he raised $4,000 for the non-profit that fulfills wishes of children with life-threatening illnesses and their families.
<sniped & BBM - read more>

http://raycomgroup.worldnow.com/sto...uthorities-after-skeletal-remains-found-in-fl

Bumping article from 03/21/2014;

HCPD contacts FL authorities about Elvis case after skeletal remains found
Posted: Mar 21, 2014

Scene in DeLand, Florida were human remains were discovered.
CONWAY, SC - The Horry County Police Department is in contact with the Volusia County Sheriff's Office in Florida after skeletal remains were reportedly discovered earlier this week.

Lt. Robert Kegler with the Horry County Police Department confirmed the communication between the two law enforcement agencies Friday afternoon.

WKMG Local 6 - based in Orlando, FL - reports a garbage bag containing human remains were discovered Thursday afternoon by a man collecting garbage along the Oak Street near International Speedway Boulevard in DeLand. The man who discovered the bag, according to WKMG, claims a deputy told him the remains appeared to be that of a young girl.

Just over 3 weeks after Elvis disappeared, Sidney Moorer ran in the Walt Disney World Half Marathon as part of the "Give Kids the World" Team, as News 13 previously reported on. According to Tammy Moorer, without training for the run, he raised $4,000 for the non-profit that fulfills wishes of children with life-threatening illnesses and their families.
<sniped & BBM - read more>

http://raycomgroup.worldnow.com/sto...uthorities-after-skeletal-remains-found-in-fl
However, NamUs has the remains listed as "Adult". I am speculating that the pink robe and MM sheets are what made the deputy think young girl.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Patturelli