Health, Hygiene and Safety Tips for living under Coronavirus quarantine

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I had covid in Nov, my pastor had it in Jan. We were talking about our experiences a week or so back . Both of us were complaining that since having it that we will be having a conversation, and be unable to recall the word we want to use. Driving us both crazy it happens so often.
This is me!!! After I had my bone marrow transplant in 2017, my kids would correct me when I was speaking. I didn't even realize that I had said, for example, Kroger (grocery store in TN) instead of Publix (grocery store in FL). I lived in TN for 17 years then we moved to FL in 2008. I find I still struggle with the names of objects the most. Second is the first name of someone. I can picture them but cannot recall their name for a few minutes.

I got my new glasses a few days ago. So far so good. Last night I drove at dusk and then came home in the dark. I can see better, read most signs now but still not 100% in my right eye. Probably due to the tiny cataract I now have. I do feel safer about driving at night but I probably still won't have a need to very often. Super excited for daylight savings time soon!!! (3/14/2021)

I was meeting my bestie at Cheesecake Factory. We walked in and they didn't give us menus. We had to use our cell phone camera to scan that square barcode to pull up the online menu. I was not impressed. To read a microscopic menu, I have to remove my glasses. There didn't seem to be an option to get a sanitized large print menu.

Anyway, we sat outside and in between the booths were large acrylic panels. The center of the outdoor dining had a waterfall and the heaters were hanging from the ceiling. It was still chilly but it was nice (SWFL). We were dead center of the room, in a booth and felt pretty isolated. There were more open areas that had tables closer together.

I have had both my vaccine shots but my friend has not. (She will not qualify for some time.) We wore our masks until our food came and did not sit directly across from one another.

OMG! I hate "Daylight Savings"!!! Less than a month away. I will have to be at work at 6 am! Killing me already. It literally exhausts me for a week.

Wow, the winter was fast!
I actually wish they would do away with it also. They should just split the hour at 30 minutes and be done with it. It no longer serves its original purpose.

I got my new glasses a few days ago. So far so good. Last night I drove at dusk and then came home in the dark. I can see better, read most signs now but still not 100% in my right eye. Probably due to the tiny cataract I now have. I do feel safer about driving at night but I probably still won't have a need to very often. Super excited for daylight savings time soon!!! (3/14/2021)

I was meeting my bestie at Cheesecake Factory. We walked in and they didn't give us menus. We had to use our cell phone camera to scan that square barcode to pull up the online menu. I was not impressed. To read a microscopic menu, I have to remove my glasses. There didn't seem to be an option to get a sanitized large print menu.

Anyway, we sat outside and in between the booths were large acrylic panels. The center of the outdoor dining had a waterfall and the heaters were hanging from the ceiling. It was still chilly but it was nice (SWFL). We were dead center of the room, in a booth and felt pretty isolated. There were more open areas that had tables closer together.

I have had both my vaccine shots but my friend has not. (She will not qualify for some time.) We wore our masks until our food came and did not sit directly across from one another.

Did you have cheesecake the Cheesecake Factory? My fav is the Godiva Chocolate Cheesecake- it is so rich you can only eat a little bit of it, but to me it is the best dessert on the planet!!!!!

^ I visited that site when I was looking for side effects of Dorzolamide. Dorzolamide is an ophthalmic solution (a liquid that is placed in the eyes) that is used for treating glaucoma. It is in a class of drugs called carbonic anhydrase inhibitors which also includes brinzolamide (Azopt). Alpha agonist side effects closely describe my scary reaction to the new eye drops. I experienced all four of the side effects that are bolded. Lowering the dose has ended the severe side effects.

Good that you figured out your symptoms were most likely related to the eye drops and cut back on the dose. Those symptoms are definitely concerning---

Did you have cheesecake the Cheesecake Factory? My fav is the Godiva Chocolate Cheesecake- it is so rich you can only eat a little bit of it, but to me it is the best dessert on the planet!!!!!
Yes!! I always get the 30th Anniversary Cheesecake. It is 1/2 chocolate cake and 1/2 original cheesecake with chocolate truffle on top. Decadent and takes at least 3 meals to eat one slice!! I only get maybe one a year that is how rich it is.

DH and I received gift packets from BC/BS on Thursday. We each got a second cloth mask, two pre-stamped postcards, and an updated booklet with tips for staying healthy during the pandemic. The booklet has three fun puzzles and included this link to a puzzle site: ImproveMemory.org - Memory Games for Kids & Adults I love word puzzles and do several every day. I'm happy to have another resource for online puzzles to keep my brain functioning at full capacity :D

The Cheesecake Factory has its roots in Detroit, but DH and I have never been to the popular restaurant. Michigan was actually late to the party as there were Cheesecake Factory restaurants in other states before they were here. The metro-Detroit location is not convenient for us. The other Michigan location is near Grand Rapids. We tried to go to The Cheesecake Factory when we were in Fort Lauderdale prior to a cruise a few years ago. We rode the Sun Trolley to Las Olas Blvd. to browse the shops and have late lunch before heading back to our hotel. The Cheesecake Factory was very popular at the time, and we would have had to wait 30-45 minutes to be seated. We found a charming little bistro and had a delightful meal. We've still never been to The Cheesecake Factory :(

Las Olas Boulevard Fort Lauderdale | Restaurants, Shops & Things to Do

Last edited:
The Cheesecake Factory has its roots in Detroit, but DH and I have never been to the popular restaurant. Michigan was actually late to the party as there were Cheesecake Factory restaurants in other states before they were here. The metro-Detroit location is not convenient for us. The other Michigan location is near Grand Rapids. We tried to go to The Cheesecake Factory when we were in Fort Lauderdale prior to a cruise a few years ago. We rode the Sun Trolley to Las Olas Blvd. to browse the shops and have late lunch before heading back to our hotel. The Cheesecake Factory was very popular at the time, and we would have had to wait 30-45 minutes to be seated. We found a charming little bistro and had a delightful meal. We've still never been to The Cheesecake Factory :(

I’m pretty sure I’ve been there too. We were coming back from vacationing in the Keys. The kids were maybe 12 & 16 and had been cooped up in the car. So I stopped to let them walk, we ate at CF and then drove home across Alligator Alley. You could spend all day at that place.

CF is in Novi at Twelve Oaks Mall, not far from my home: When they first opened up out here people waited in line for at least an hour. I did not go there until we didn't have to wait at all. I wouldn't stand in line for an hour to go into any restaurant. I do like their food, and love their cheese cake. in fact just talking about it makes me want to run out and get some right now!!!!!

By the way I have an appt to get the vaccine at Henry Ford Hospital on Wed. They emailed me yesterday to make an appt. I am going to do it, but I do have some anxiety about it due to my fear I will be allergic to some ingredient in that shot. I have lots of allergies to different things --- I have never had any type of vaccine ever before but Covid is obviously different. I see vaccination as the only way out of this horror we are living.

DH and I had hair and nail appointments on Thursday. DH scheduled our hair appointments the week before, and I called the nail salon so we could go there afterwards. Hair and nail appointments were originally scheduled for yesterday (Friday). Stylist texted DH and told him that she had broken her ankle and had to be off her feet for 3-4 weeks. I hadn't had a haircut since mid-December, and DH was beginning to look like the shaggy dog, so he asked if we could have another stylist at the salon do our hair. We were able to go on Thursday, and I switched the nail appointments.

When we arrived at the hair salon, stylist was there alone and told us that the other two stylists had both gone to Florida, so with our stylist on the disabled list, she was there alone until today when one of the stylists returns to work. She's been in Florida for two weeks and wasn't planning to quarantine following the trip. The other stylist returns to work next Wednesday; seems that she isn't going to quarantine either. Given the circumstances, we are glad that we didn't wait until our stylist returns. We would not want to be in the salon with stylists who were in Covid-ridden Florida for two weeks. I hope neither of them were exposed to the virus and bring it back to the salon.

DH and I both received robo-calls yesterday from Oakland County Health Department confirming our registrations for the vaccine. We are moving up on the list and will be contacted by phone and/or email when it is time for us to get our shots. Hopefully, this will be in the next week or so. We have not been contacted by Beaumont Health but have heard that they are running way behind on getting employees vaccinated, so the public is going to have to wait until vaccinations are available for them.

DH and I had hair and nail appointments on Thursday. DH scheduled our hair appointments the week before, and I called the nail salon so we could go there afterwards. Hair and nail appointments were originally scheduled for yesterday (Friday). Stylist texted DH and told him that she had broken her ankle and had to be off her feet for 3-4 weeks. I hadn't had a haircut since mid-December, and DH was beginning to look like the shaggy dog, so he asked if we could have another stylist at the salon do our hair. We were able to go on Thursday, and I switched the nail appointments.

When we arrived at the hair salon, stylist was there alone and told us that the other two stylists had both gone to Florida, so with our stylist on the disabled list, she was there alone until today when one of the stylists returns to work. She's been in Florida for two weeks and wasn't planning to quarantine following the trip. The other stylist returns to work next Wednesday; seems that she isn't going to quarantine either. Given the circumstances, we are glad that we didn't wait until our stylist returns. We would not want to be in the salon with stylists who were in Covid-ridden Florida for two weeks. I hope neither of them were exposed to the virus and bring it back to the salon.

DH and I both received robo-calls yesterday from Oakland County Health Department confirming our registrations for the vaccine. We are moving up on the list and will be contacted by phone and/or email when it is time for us to get our shots. Hopefully, this will be in the next week or so. We have not been contacted by Beaumont Health but have heard that they are running way behind on getting employees vaccinated, so the public is going to have to wait until vaccinations are available for them.
I am glad you two are moving up on the vaccine list. My aunt on the east coast of FL has been trying for weeks to get an appointment. She is 69 and is a breast cancer survivor so we thought she'd get in sooner. Anyway, she finally has an appointment March 2nd. Her husband, my uncle, was able to be vaccinated at the VA Clinic weeks ago.

Yesterday in my MM support group, one of the wives of spoke up about her experience. Her husband is undergoing a Car T Cell transplant at the Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville, FL. She is just under the age limit to qualify but spoke to the doctors. She spends 12 hours a day helping her husband at the hospital. She was really worried that she could be a carrier. They were able to reach someone at the state level who researched and found her an appointment in 2 days.

I have been cutting my own hair and doing my own mani/pedis. I went once in June. Since then, all myself. My husband gets his hair done, and beard trimmed. He has already had both of his shots now.

I saw Rosamund Pike in Netflix "I care a lot", now I want a short blunt bob. Might grow out my bangs.

My husband has lost 50 pounds this year. Poor thing is wasting away, now that he has to eat at home!

This staying at home all the time means, even with a new A/C air filter, I am still breathing the same circulated air. I do open the doors and air out the house when I can. However, I am trying to get thru allergy season without such a struggle, constant meds, eye drops, etc. The oak trees blooming are killing me. Plus dog hair from my foster fur babies.

I researched air purifiers to see if that would help. I bought one and had it running during the day while I was in the living room. I thought it was making a difference. However, my daughter got sick with a sinus and ear infection that is now in her bronchial tubes. So I sent it home with her for a few days. She thinks it’s helping her. She is ordering one now too. My next test is to run it in my room at night to see if that helps. Anyone else use an air purifier to help stay healthy? It is probably a good idea even without the added risk of Covid.

Attachments

• E3A7F47E-4942-47BA-B28F-EA8335540F9D.jpeg
    E3A7F47E-4942-47BA-B28F-EA8335540F9D.jpeg
    80.4 KB · Views: 17
I do not have an air filter in my home, but my boss bought several for our offices when Covid first started. I can only say that for the first time in several years I'm almost (fingers crossed) through the winter without severe bronchitis. Now is it helped because of the air filter, or is it because of the masks? I'm not sure, just thankful

This staying at home all the time means, even with a new A/C air filter, I am still breathing the same circulated air. I do open the doors and air out the house when I can. However, I am trying to get thru allergy season without such a struggle, constant meds, eye drops, etc. The oak trees blooming are killing me. Plus dog hair from my foster fur babies...

I am in the midst of my first asthma episode in nearly three years. Despite a daily puff of Qvar (steroidal inhaler), I have had an annoying - mostly nighttime - cough for the past two weeks. I had forgotten how worn out I get when I'm having a cough-variant asthma episode. I haven't had a cold or bronchitis which is usually how the asthma sets in, so being cooped up indoors for several months is likely the culprit. I saw my PCP on February 9 and had no asthma symptoms. The cough crept up on me without warning over the last few weeks during the worst cold spell of the season.

I am in the midst of my first asthma episode in nearly three years. Despite a daily puff of Qvar (steroidal inhaler), I have had an annoying - mostly nighttime - cough for the past two weeks. I had forgotten how worn out I get when I'm having a cough-variant asthma episode. I haven't had a cold or bronchitis which is usually how the asthma sets in, so being cooped up indoors for several months is likely the culprit. I saw my PCP on February 9 and had no asthma symptoms. The cough crept up on me without warning over the last few weeks during the worst cold spell of the season.

I am sorry you are going thru that: i also have the cough variant asthma: In fact when I first began to cough 40 years ago , it was the only symptom I had. The coughing was horrible and it took at least two years to be properly diagnosed with asthma. I required the use of oral steroids for two years to get it under control, and now I use Flovent steroid inhaler on a daily basis. Twenty years ago, for no apparent reason I again developed an episode of uncontrollable coughing. I hope you get that cough under control soon: it does extremely annoying ,especially at night time. Take care.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleutherine