FEATURED Help Find Marvin "Rusty" Holderman/ Police Reached out to Websleuths, 2008?

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
My redhead hubby and his sister have eyebrows that are so pale that when they were young children, his grandmother (who didn't have great eyesight) angrily asked his mother why she'd shaved her grandkids' eyebrows off. :lol:

Yes!! I've gotten that before. :shame:

The two possible sets of remains I found that could possibly be him have DNA profiles, so if it were a match, they'd have hit. Interestingly, one had a peacock, the other had a "bird", both in the same area. Bummer.

As I've been told previously, go ahead and submit your potential matches. Just because DNA profiles are complete, there is no way for us to know if they've been checked.
The peacock and bird tattoos are really significant.... Can you post these potential matches?

As I've been told previously, go ahead and submit your potential matches. Just because DNA profiles are complete, there is no way for us to know if they've been checked.
The peacock and bird tattoos are really significant.... Can you post these potential matches?

This guy would be the best match IF the last seen date is off:
https://identifyus.org/en/cases/315

The other one's tattoo is on the wrong arm, and has brown hair and eyes, so most likely not him, but I'll post it any way: https://identifyus.org/en/cases/8089

As I stated, both have DNA profiles, which NamUs reps assure us means they've already been compared.

For this case, this is why the UID caught my eye

**Graphic warning** PM Photo

attachment.php

Attachments

• ComparisonMH.jpg
    ComparisonMH.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 328

attachment.php

I've been following quietly, but this one looks like a good match to me, this one & the other deceased UID (graphic image one).
But until we know or it's confirmed/verified that Rusty was in fact the one cashing the checks, it's really gonna be hard to narrow it down any more than what the great WS'ers have already done.

Just my random thoughts & opinions...

And I will say we have some great sleuthers on here, if I ever disappear or get murdered I've already told my husband & close friends to get WS on it, they'll figure it out!!!!

Just my random thoughts & opinions...

https://identifyus.org/en/cases/315[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

I agree on the facial similarity, and that sort of sad look. And really... How many curly red headed men are walking around with bird tattoos on their arms? Not many, I'd guess.

Only a couple of things that are not lining up with this UID...the height is off by 5" to 9", eyes are blue instead of green, and date is off by a couple of years.

Namus states Rusty was last seen "October 2008", so maybe that is when his family or police had last personal contact with him? I guess we can't be sure unless we get more clarification from the detective.

You said in an earlier post, you're not putting in submissions because you've been assured by Namus reps that the DNA has been cross checked...
Regardless, this guy is still visually compelling.

Hi all! Great sleuthing here! I hope it bears fruit.

I just want to share a few observations that I had while reading the thread.

I think the man sitting in the middle of the table in the first link could well be Rusty. Is there any more info about him that you could find?

I agree with the plausible match on the CA UID and Rusty. Along with the lesion on the nose I also see a barely discernible mole off the lower corner of the right eye which could be precancerous and would correspond with the lesion on the UID.
Also the eye distance, size and shape are close but difficult to tell with decomp. The nose bridge looks wider but the length looks comparable. The nostrils are difficult to compare and there may be damage from the lesion on the UID.
The distance between the eyebrows on the UID and the lowest forehead crease are similar IMO. As are the distances between the top lip and the nose ( as near as I can tell.)

I did a quick side - by side. The UID has been posted before so we know it is GRAPHIC.

Again **GRAPHIC** so scroll on if it's not your thing.

View attachment 119654

attachment.php

Clearer large image of Marvin from NamUs to make ID comparisons easier.

attachment.php

Brought jacct's post forward for easy comparison.
I don't think Rusty is any of the two deceased men pictured because of the beard. In the photos of the deceased men the beard grows right up to the lower lip, while Rusty has hairless areas on each side under his lower lip.
Unless beards become fuller and "spread out" when men age? But I've never heard of that happening. Anybody knows?

The homeless man in Mexico shown previously is imo a good possibility. (I forgot to quote the post, will go back and look for it again.)

There's two more photos of him at the same link. Idk, after some thought, his hair seems to straight now. What do you all think?

attachment.php

Yeah and he seems shorter than 70-74 inches even though pictures can be tricky I know. It's a good suggestion though.

I agree on the facial similarity, and that sort of sad look. And really... How many curly red headed men are walking around with bird tattoos on their arms? Not many, I'd guess.

Only a couple of things that are not lining up with this UID...the height is off by 5" to 9", eyes are blue instead of green, and date is off by a couple of years.

Namus states Rusty was last seen "October 2008", so maybe that is when his family or police had last personal contact with him? I guess we can't be sure unless we get more clarification from the detective.

You said in an earlier post, you're not putting in submissions because you've been assured by Namus reps that the DNA has been cross checked...
Regardless, this guy is still visually compelling.

Chiming in here Folks...

Awesome work by Websleuther's here!!!

In regard to the DNA being cross checked, I posted in the LISK victims case what I had learned about NamUs and matches. If I understand it correctly, LE needs to put in parameters and it will give a list of potential matches based upon those parameters. If any one of those parameters is "off" or not correct, it may miss that potential match. My understanding is that the matches have a ranking, IE: 99%, 50%, 25%, 1% or whatever the percentage may be. Obviously, the lower the %, the lower the match may be.

Hope this helps.

I have learned that in some cases, a human must check to see if there is a match because of the type of DNA that they have on the next of kin and the UID person. So it pays to ask and submit.

I think the man sitting in the middle of the table in the first link could well be Rusty. Is there any more info about him that you could find?
This is in regards to Haywood Congregational. I personally was unable to find any more info, but in my email to the detective I did point out this particular find.

As for feedback, I did get confirmation that he received my email but that's it. I don't know anything else beyond what we've discovered here in WS. We need to keep digging.

Does Mexico too have a database for unidentified people?

I have learned that in some cases, a human must check to see if there is a match because of the type of DNA that they have on the next of kin and the UID person. So it pays to ask and submit.

True, but whenever I've submitted potential matches to NamUs, and both have DNA profiles noted, the rep sees that and doesn't dig deeper. They don't take a second look and question the type of DNA. If both are in CODIS, it is assumed they've been compared without matching, and it doesn't go any further.

Does Mexico too have a database for unidentified people?

I haven't come across an official one yet. I follow a page on FB dedicated to helping match remains found in the desert with MP's, but I can't remember the name of it. When I do, I'll post it here.

I've searched the UID in NAMUS and searched the lists at Fl. & Ca. ME local offices. They appear to be listed in NAMUS too. But I was checking, just in case.
My father actually said he looks familiar but the name didn't click. He has hired men in similar scenarios for construction jobs, & vacationed near Kissimmee. I called him bc I thought the same thing. My father is a G.C. & we are from south georgia. We have seen alot of interesting ppl in tht line of work. From all over the U.S.. We can't work out where or when we know him from so, we decided it's probably just the type we recognize and not Rusty. He is going to ask some field superintendents to take a look at the pic when they come to the office on payday. These men have gotten older now, they've been around. Traveling in the industry from Al., La., Fl., Ga., S.C. & N.C., that's just the states I'm aware they've lived in, who knows? I won't be holding my breath though lol

Never hurts to try. It struck me that it's entirely possible Rusty's family didn't hang flyers or search at all when he was reported missing. Half of Fl.'s homeless population may know, but nobody has asked them where Rusty is.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I've searched the UID in NAMUS and searched the lists at Fl. & Ca. ME local offices. They appear to be listed in NAMUS too. But I was checking, just in case.
My father actually said he looks familiar but the name didn't click. He has hired men in similar scenarios for construction jobs, & vacationed near Kissimmee. I called him bc I thought the same thing. My father is a G.C. & we are from south georgia. We have seen alot of interesting ppl in tht line of work. From all over the U.S.. We can't work out where or when we know him from so, we decided it's probably just the type we recognize and not Rusty. He is going to ask some field superintendents to take a look at the pic when they come to the office on payday. These men have gotten older now, they've been around. Traveling in the industry from Al., La., Fl., Ga., S.C. & N.C., that's just the states I'm aware they've lived in, who knows? I won't be holding my breath though lol

Never hurts to try. It struck me that it's entirely possible Rusty's family didn't hang flyers or search at all when he was reported missing. Half of Fl.'s homeless population may know, but nobody has asked them where Rusty is.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

My father actually said he looks familiar but the name didn't click.

RBBM and snp'd for focus by me.
He looks familiar to me, too. However, in my case, I think it's because he has common features/coloring. He reminds me of a former/late longtime co-worker who even had the same first name.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anyclimate3010
Back