GUILTY HI - Carly Joann 'Charli' Scott, 27, pregnant, Makawao, 9 Feb 2014 - #1

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
While in some ways I agree with you, I am not sure what part of his alibi is so ridiculous. It also does not strike me as odd that he would think he was the prime suspect, even before it was officially announced as a homicide. At the point of the interview she had been missing for at least a week, of course he would think all eyes would be on him.

On the hot new girlfriend, they had been dating for a few months by this point. That's all I can really find as far as factual information, and it seems neither one thought it was that serious. I can find no hard information that states she told him she didn't want to be a step-mom.

Phone pings referenced on the Study facebook page are only an if. Main point is we don't know when her cell phone last pinged. We don't know what pings occurred before the last ping either.

Sure, he does seem the most likely perpetrator of this crime, I can agree to that. However, someone with intimate knowledge of where she was going could have easily committed the crime and scattered evidence to make SC look questionable.

Ok... Here's my pure speculation: Maybe SC wasn't really the father. Maybe it was someone else who had something to loose if it came out who the father really was. Per SC interview, I got the impression that he was not fully convinced he was indeed the father. My guess is he would have wanted a paternity test to prove this was the case. Where would eyes have turned if he wasn't the father? Once again, unfounded pure speculation.

Just trying to examine all possibilities.
Interesting theory. Then by this thought, someone did not like SC and decided to set him by leaving the clothes near where the truck was stuck? Or SC was just the convenient scapegoat? And this person who set up SC knew exactly where the truck was stuck and where to leave the clothes? And stopped Charli after Twin Falls, but before she got into her house. I don't know if they can tell if her car got to her house or not, but assume someone could have stopped her as she got out of her car at her house and before Nala got out. They would either have had to sit there in wait, happened upon her at whatever time, or someone called to say she was coming. It should be around 10:55 if she made it to her house, or 10:26 if she made it to Twin Falls at this point, since SC says that he was picked up at 8:30, it took about 10 minutes to fix his car and about 60 minutes to get to the area where the truck was stuck

Here's were I have the problem with this one, though. Nala. I don't know Nala's personality. She might be the cringing type when the unknown happens. But most dogs, especially ones that people take with them in the car, are there for some protection. If there has been an altercation that Nala had seen between Charli and someone else, I cannot see her docilely riding in the car with that person to the location she was found at. But I can suspend that for now.

From Twin Falls to Charli's is around a half hour (29 minutes) one way trip.

Then Charli, being somewhere between Twin Falls and her house must be gotten rid of (unknown timeframe), the clothes to Nuaailua Bay (51 to 68 minutes by Google Maps), Nala dropped around Nahiku (35 more minutes by Google Maps), and drive back (assumption is that he/she did not take Charli's car, but their own) So this other person is either coming back to their general area of Haiku or Makawao at around 1:30-3 AM OR finding a place to sleep for the night OR continuing on to Hana or the like and staying there for the night and returning the next day. And maybe needs to move Charli's car or set fire to it (or has someone else do it). And there is nothing that points to this person at all. No one knows/mentions that this other person could be the father of Charli's child, or that this person was out that night (if they live alone, maybe no one would know).

Is that kind of how this theory might go? Or were you thinking something different?

I was unaware that SC had left work and showed the family precisely where he claims that his truck had broken down. If this is true, it supports the theory that the dog and clothes were left on Hana Hwy., and car on Peahi Rd. above Jaws, but Charli had been murdered and disposed of in Haiku. The cell phone pings, again, are the largest clue. If his truck was truly broken down or stuck near Keanae, and he honestly just needed a ride out there to fix it, they would have left Haiku soon after she arrived at his house, especially given the fact that it was Sunday and they both needed to work on Monday morning. If Charli's cell phone first pinged at 11, as suggested on the Study FB page this morning, look for the body in Haiku.

Good observation!

If the ping at 11 is correct, that creates the possibility of a 2 hour window he and she were in the Haiku area. I have not heard of anyone searching Haiku yet.

MPD did not search his residence after the incident. And it took over a week to search his truck. Can you say Barney Fife syndrome?

Here's were I have the problem with this one, though. Nala. I don't know Nala's personality. She might be the cringing type when the unknown happens. But most dogs, especially ones that people take with them in the car, are there for some protection. If there has been an altercation that Nala had seen between Charli and someone else, I cannot see her docilely riding in the car with that person to the location she was found at. But I can suspend that for now.

That's the same problem I have with any scenario involving a stranger, or even a crazed stalker. Nala was with Charli. A random would have picked an easier victim. A stalker would have chosen to attack at a time when Charli was not with Nala; maybe when she was leaving one of her jobs. Nala might be the sweetest dog in the world, but I don't think she would have hesitated to defend Charli against a stranger attack. Whoever killed Charli and Joshua was known and trusted by both Charli and Nala, IMHO.

Attachments

• Nala.jpg
    Nala.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 32
Good observation!

If the ping at 11 is correct, that creates the possibility of a 2 hour window he and she were in the Haiku area. I have not heard of anyone searching Haiku yet.

MPD did not search his residence after the incident. And it took over a week to search his truck. Can you say Barney Fife syndrome?

I thought of the cell phone ping timing yesterday. A couple of people have posted the thought that she may have never left Haiku, maybe the perpetrator just scattered evidence in various places alona Hana Hwy. And I thought, hmmm, that's a good theory. Haiku is pretty rural with dense vegetation and there are many gorges/ravines there. And it so happens to be the hometown of the POI. He could have pre-dug a shallow grave or rolled her down a ravine.

I believe they searched in Kula, not sure about Haiku. Let me go back and do some reading...

Again, some cadaver dogs would be extremely helpful in the search.

MPD needs to bring in the FBI.

And poor Mo. (Moreira Monsalve) Is anyone searching for her?

That's the same problem I have with any scenario involving a stranger, or even a crazed stalker. Nala was with Charli. A random would have picked an easier victim. A stalker would have chosen to attack at a time when Charli was not with Nala; maybe when she was leaving one of her jobs. Nala might be the sweetest dog in the world, but I don't think she would have hesitated to defend Charli against a stranger attack. Whoever killed Charli and Joshua was known and trusted by both Charli and Nala, IMHO.

IMO some random stranger would probably have just killed the dog too.

The fact that the dog was spared is one of the clues that leads me to believe Charli was killed by someone with whom she (and Nala) were familiar.

Good observation!

"That's some fine police work there, Lou!" - Chief Wiggins of The Simpsons
Keystone cops come to mind as well.

While in some ways I agree with you, I am not sure what part of his alibi is so ridiculous. It also does not strike me as odd that he would think he was the prime suspect, even before it was officially announced as a homicide. At the point of the interview she had been missing for at least a week, of course he would think all eyes would be on him.

On the hot new girlfriend, they had been dating for a few months by this point. That's all I can really find as far as factual information, and it seems neither one thought it was that serious. I can find no hard information that states she told him she didn't want to be a step-mom.

Phone pings referenced on the Study facebook page are only an if. Main point is we don't know when her cell phone last pinged. We don't know what pings occurred before the last ping either.

Sure, he does seem the most likely perpetrator of this crime, I can agree to that. However, someone with intimate knowledge of where she was going could have easily committed the crime and scattered evidence to make SC look questionable.

Ok... Here's my pure speculation: Maybe SC wasn't really the father. Maybe it was someone else who had something to loose if it came out who the father really was. Per SC interview, I got the impression that he was not fully convinced he was indeed the father. My guess is he would have wanted a paternity test to prove this was the case. Where would eyes have turned if he wasn't the father? Once again, unfounded pure speculation.

Just trying to examine all possibilities.

SC does not have an alibi other than a tweeker. If he did commit or conspire to murder you would think he would have a doozy of an alibi.
I am not putting my trust in the interview. Do we know how carefully the interview was transcribed? Missing or misinterpreting one small part of the interview could change the direction of our discussion and timeline hugely.
So I speculate to look at the inner circle first then outward. If every one focuses on SC and he did not murder CS then possibly a murderer walks and we know what that means.
I like the direction Jungle Mama's going in here. It is good for some of us to look else where. :twocents:

I was unable to determine if any searches were conducted in Haiku. Locals, does anyone know?

Yes. Searches were done from Maliko Gulch (about mm 12) on to Huelo, Keanae and then Hana. Includes air, ocean and land. The only places not checked on Haleakala side of Maui are private properties, including Hawaiian Homelands, and the summit.

Yes. Searches were done from Maliko Gulch (about mm 12) on to Huelo, Keanae and then Hana. Includes air, ocean and land. The only places not checked on Haleakala side of Maui are private properties, including Hawaiian Homelands, and the summit.

Hi, I'm new here. I live on the Big Island and I've been following this case both on WS and via MSM and on FB.

Will the family be able to search private properties if given permission? Are there any legal issues?

We ask before searching private properties, yes. Otherwise we could be prosecuted for trespassing.

Hi, I'm new here. I live on the Big Island and I've been following this case both on WS and via MSM and on FB.

Will the family be able to search private properties if given permission? Are there any legal issues?

Welcome:seeya:

We ask before searching private properties, yes. Otherwise we could be prosecuted for trespassing.

I guess what I was trying to ask, and I didn't think it through too clearly, was this- are there any special procedures for possible evidence found on private property? Also, are searchers having an easy or hard time getting permission to search private properties? I was looking at Haiku properties and had found one that is on several acres with a fish pond large enough to swim in.

I thought of the cell phone ping timing yesterday. A couple of people have posted the thought that she may have never left Haiku, maybe the perpetrator just scattered evidence in various places alona Hana Hwy. And I thought, hmmm, that's a good theory. Haiku is pretty rural with dense vegetation and there are many gorges/ravines there. And it so happens to be the hometown of the POI. He could have pre-dug a shallow grave or rolled her down a ravine.

I believe they searched in Kula, not sure about Haiku. Let me go back and do some reading...

Again, some cadaver dogs would be extremely helpful in the search.

MPD needs to bring in the FBI.

And poor Mo. (Moreira Monsalve) Is anyone searching for her?

BBM :seeya:

IMO some random stranger would probably have just killed the dog too.

The fact that the dog was spared is one of the clues that leads me to believe Charli was killed by someone with whom she (and Nala) were familiar.

I agree. In fact, he would have killed the dog first.

SC does not have an alibi other than a tweeker. If he did commit or conspire to murder you would think he would have a doozy of an alibi.
I am not putting my trust in the interview. Do we know how carefully the interview was transcribed? Missing or misinterpreting one small part of the interview could change the direction of our discussion and timeline hugely.
So I speculate to look at the inner circle first then outward. If every one focuses on SC and he did not murder CS then possibly a murderer walks and we know what that means.
I like the direction Jungle Mama's going in here. It is good for some of us to look else where. :twocents:

If SC killed Charli, it would be impossible for him to have a legitimate alibi. A false alibi would require collusion. We could look at other possibilities, but why? He was the last to see her and he hasn't been cleared . . .and his story has more holes than swiss cheese.

Have they searched around Makawao? Or between Makawao and Haiku?

BBM :seeya:

I agree. In fact, he would have killed the dog first.

If SC killed Charli, it would be impossible for him to have a legitimate alibi. A false alibi would require collusion. We could look at other possibilities, but why? He was the last to see her and he hasn't been cleared . . .and his story has more holes than swiss cheese.

Have they searched around Makawao? Or between Makawao and Haiku?

Scott Peterson never had a legit alibi and he's on death row in California. I don't really call what Steven has claimed as his alibi an 'alibi.' It's just a story. An alibi is when you have something solid showing you were somewhere at a particular time on a particular day. Scott Peterson's alleged alibi actually turned into circumstantial evidence against him because he had been there in the Bay and it turned out to be a crime scene. Dumb move on his part.

I don't think she ever left Haiku. Call it a gut feeling. What happened in the Laci Peterson case? Scott Peterson killed Laci in their house then put her body in his boat and dumped her in the bay attached to anchors. I think a lot of people are comparing Charli's case with the Peterson case because there are similarities. So run with it. Maybe Steven was researching the Peterson case as well. MOO. Maybe the reason the times (when he called Charli, when she picked him up, when they got to Keanae, how long it took to fix the truck, when they left, when he got back) are specific is because Scott got tripped up by that. Who could forget 8:00, 8:30, 9:30... Of course that looks contrived too, but easy to remember, less hard to slip up.

Obviously if Steven murdered her, he had to leave Haiku at some point to ditch evidence. But that's really not that hard to do. The only thing that is difficult to understand is the torching of the 4Runner.

Steven knew Haiku. He lives there. He probably knew it would be harder to search private property than public, so it would make sense for him to rid himself of her body there. I do think he knows something of the law, too. MOO

Possible scenario: Charli pulls up at Steven's house, leaves Nala in the car and goes to get Steven. Once inside, Steven, who has planned this, murders her. He does whatever he needs to do to 'clean up' the scene, puts her body in his truck, leaves Charli's truck with Nala inside where it is, goes and dumps her body or buries it nearby, then comes back, cleans truck. Then he takes Charli's 4Runner with Nala inside and goes for a ride with the rest of the evidence, drops Nala, scatters the rest of the evidence, goes to Peahi/Jaws, sprays a white AV on the front and/or side window(s) and leaves the vehicle there. Maybe calls someone (from a payphone or phone that can't be tracked) he knows of who parts out trucks, "Hey, I just seen one 4 Runner at Peahi, go get em before it's gone, brah. Bettah you burn it aftah." Then he goes home, commits the timeline to memory.... MHO

The police need to get inside his house.

* AV stands for abandoned vehicle, a lot of cars that break down on the side of the road that aren't immediately towed away are tagged with a white AV on the windshield or back window by the police. Also, on the Big Island, if you break down in a country or rural area, such as South Kona, you may just kiss your car goodbye if you don't get it out of there right away. Plenty of cars break down and within a day have broken windshields, stolen or slashed tires etc. I've seen a burnt car but not for a long time. It used to be way worse here.

Wow, that's impressive. Kudos to all who gave their time and equipment to help with these searches. I hope people will continue to search. I'd gladly contribute to a fund to bring over some cadaver dogs or thermal imaging cameras to help.

@KiKid72
If the blood and bone are DNA identified as Charlie, SC would have a huge mess to clean up so I doubt it happened in his house. I would think outside, near his home, possibly.
I like your idea of the time sequence alibi/story.
What are the reasons you think he knows something of the law?

@KiKid72
If the blood and bone are DNA identified as Charlie, SC would have a huge mess to clean up so I doubt it happened in his house. I would think outside, near his home, possibly.
I like your idea of the time sequence alibi/story.
What are the reasons you think he knows something of the law?

I'm not sure I'm allowed to say, but on his fb profile in 2012 he says he is a process server. Mods, please delete if that is not allowed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member