GUILTY HI - Carly Joann 'Charli' Scott, 27, pregnant, Makawao, 9 Feb 2014 - #1

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I see that Chunk O'Butter is responding to some of the Study FB page posts, denying some allegations, challenging others. He certainly stays away from the BIGGER questions.

A GPS App would not use the cellular network though? Is that correct, the App would be using GPS satellites? I am wondering if you have a GPS App on your phone and its not being used, are the satellites still tracking the phone?
I can only speak for my own electronics. The GPS on ours works when the phone or tablet is on and GPS is enabled. It doesn't matter if you are actually using the app that tracks you or not. It doesn't matter if you have cell service or not. The GPS still works. It does not work when the phone/tablet is turned off. I have not experimented with Airplane mode, but there's something fun to do this weekend. As I said, I can only speak for my own electronics (2 phones and 2 tablets) and they are all Droids.

Also no one has come forward to claim they saw his truck broken down. There are a lot of tourists and some locals that would be traveling that part of Hana highway all day when the truck is supposedly there. No one has come forward to claim they were the person that picked him up hitchhiking from his broken truck the night before. Steve just called him a tweaker. I believe this was in the KHON interview where they blacked out his face and changed his voice. It would seem that he would have a better description of the person who picks you up and you are riding with for at least 45 min to an hour. Just my opinion. Also friends of mine who are(were) friends with him said he hated his picture being taken which is also another strange attribute of SC.
IMO, by calling the person who picked him up a "tweaker", that implies unreliability so even if that person is found, SC could say that person had no idea what they were talking about if they said something that didn't jibe with SC's version of the ride. By blacking out his face and changing his voice in interviews, that would make it harder for someone who might have picked him up to be able to say "Hey, that's the guy I picked up!"

:yuck: An excellent point! I was thinking that the bone fragment was the result of either bludgeoning or gunshots. We don't know how large the bone fragment is.

If you're right, there would have been a lot of blood involved. Oh, and if they have a bone fragment with a DNA match, maybe they don't need a whole body.

The bra was found slashed which indicates the possibility of dismemberment. The large amount of blood could have been caught with a plastic sheet on the ground or the dismemberment could have taken place at another location. Also the rain could have helped wash the area clean.

A big question is he claims his truck was broken down at Keanae, but why would he not burn the clothing in her truck to destroy the evidence? Yet the clothing is left at Keanae that incriminates him?

A big question is he claims his truck was broken down at Keanae, but why would he not burn the clothing in her truck to destroy the evidence? Yet the clothing is left at Keanae that incriminates him?

He doesn't seem to be the brightest bulb in the chandelier...

Or the truck was never down there and he never got picked up hitch hiking the night before. Just my opinion.

Again no one has confirmed to see the broken down truck, at least what has been reported in media. No one confirmed what time he got home after supposedly loosing sight of Charli at Twin Falls. I believe SC lives with his GrandPa, why hasn't anyone interviewed him to confirm SC's story?

He doesn't seem to be the brightest bulb in the chandelier...

From what I have heard from some of his(ex) friends that he was not the smartest either. It makes it harder to believe that he was capable of hatching this elaborate plan and not make any mistakes.

The bra was found slashed which indicates the possibility of dismemberment. The large amount of blood could have been caught with a plastic sheet on the ground or the dismemberment could have taken place at another location. Also the rain could have helped wash the area clean.

IMHO, his truck was never broken down or stuck in Keanae, for openers. As to why he left the clothing on the beach, a poster (Nikki Lisette?) a few pages back suggested that clothing abandoned on a beach in Maui would not be considered unusual. I don't think that SC imagined that things would play out as they have. He didn't think that Charli would be reported missing so soon, he didn't think Nala would be found and identified the next morning, and he didn't think the clothing left on/near the beach would be found and identified either. Maybe he was more afraid of being caught driving Charli's SUV with her clothes in it, but not her. These sociopathic murderers always make stupid mistakes. The first hint is the ridiculous and contradictory alibi. :cow:

I have little to no faith in the MPD, based somewhat on personal experience but mostly on their past case (non)-performances. Are people being actively interviewed? Do any of you local posters know? What's the word on the street, in your humble opinion. Are they just waiting for the DNA tests to make a move? They sure seem to be operating on Island Time x10.

The whole idea of the clothing being found once again brings me back to the sister. I know it was previously discussed that the sister was young and therefore unfamiliar with procedure, and also that there was no phone reception in the area. MSM says that the sister did contact police and was told to stay put and not touch anything, and that for some unknown reason decided to pick-up and transport them to the police station. If MSM is correct, she knew police procedure and was told exactly what to do, but decided to disregard it.

It seems strange that SC would leave those items behind, and then show the family the area in which to find them in. This is based on him leaving work and showing the family precisely where he broke down, being very close to where her clothes were found.

Something still sounds fishy about this.....

The whole idea of the clothing being found once again brings me back to the sister. *I know it was previously discussed that the sister was young and therefore unfamiliar with procedure, and also that there was no phone reception in the area. *MSM says that the sister did contact police and was told to stay put and not touch anything, and that for some unknown reason decided to pick-up and transport them to the police station. *If MSM is correct, she knew police procedure and was told exactly what to do, but decided to disregard it.*

Although it was not the right thing to do, I heard it was getting dark, she did not feel safe, and felt the clothing might be stolen if left there overnight.

The whole idea of the clothing being found once again brings me back to the sister. I know it was previously discussed that the sister was young and therefore unfamiliar with procedure, and also that there was no phone reception in the area. MSM says that the sister did contact police and was told to stay put and not touch anything, and that for some unknown reason decided to pick-up and transport them to the police station. If MSM is correct, she knew police procedure and was told exactly what to do, but decided to disregard it.

It seems strange that SC would leave those items behind, and then show the family the area in which to find them in. This is based on him leaving work and showing the family precisely where he broke down, being very close to where her clothes were found.

Suppose he brought the family there in hopes they would find the clothes? In his mind, he said that she was behind him until Twin Falls. So he thinks the family will think that he could not possibly have put her clothes there since he was ahead of her. I'm not saying he did this, but it's one possibility.

The question I have is why would her clothes be there if she was at least to Twin Falls behind SC? That is quite a distance away. Why would she go back there without texting anyone if she was to a location that had cell phone service? There are so many other places that she could have been left if someone else grabbed her there, if what SC says is true. This does leave the possibility that SC took off before Charli left the site of the stuck truck (assuming the truck was actually stuck), and something just happened to be wrong with her car, and/or she just happened to get attacked and killed there.

IMO, by calling the person who picked him up a "tweaker", that implies unreliability so even if that person is found, SC could say that person had no idea what they were talking about if they said something that didn't jibe with SC's version of the ride. By blacking out his face and changing his voice in interviews, that would make it harder for someone who might have picked him up to be able to say "Hey, that's the guy I picked up!"

But wouldn't it bolster his version of the events if someone was able to identify him as the guy they picked up?

I do think keeping an open mind and not focusing one one person is the way to go. I personally am not convinced SC killed Charli Scott. Who was close to her, in her inner circle? Way too convenient for me. Glad Jungle Mama brought this idea into play.

I was unaware that SC had left work and showed the family precisely where he claims that his truck had broken down. If this is true, it supports the theory that the dog and clothes were left on Hana Hwy., and car on Peahi Rd. above Jaws, but Charli had been murdered and disposed of in Haiku. The cell phone pings, again, are the largest clue. If his truck was truly broken down or stuck near Keanae, and he honestly just needed a ride out there to fix it, they would have left Haiku soon after she arrived at his house, especially given the fact that it was Sunday and they both needed to work on Monday morning. If Charli's cell phone first pinged at 11, as suggested on the Study FB page this morning, look for the body in Haiku.

I do think keeping an open mind and not focusing one one person is the way to go. I personally am not convinced SC killed Charli Scott. Who was close to her, in her inner circle? Way too convenient for me. Glad Jungle Mama brought this idea into play.

My money's on the guy with motive and opportunity. I'm betting the rent on the person with the ridiculous alibi, the father of her unborn child, the person who called himself "the prime suspect" before it was determined that a crime had been committed, the guy with the hot new girlfriend who told him that she did not want to be a stepmom, and the person who was the last one known to have seen her. MOO.:moo:

But wouldn't it bolster his version of the events if someone was able to identify him as the guy they picked up?
It would, but you are assuming that a) there is a person to bolster his version of events and b)his version of events are correct.

IMO most people who had not committed this crime would have:
  • Been able to tell what kind of car picked them up when the truck got stuck, and something about the person driving.
  • Been willing to put their picture out there so the guy who picked him up could recognize him and back up SCs story.
  • Checked to make sure Charli made it home OK, unless there had been an argument between them. (Which SC has not mentioned)
  • Found anyone besides their pregnant ex-girlfriend to help get the truck.

Am I convinced that SC is the only person who could have done this? Not yet. Does everything he has done and said point me in that direction? Yes. If nothing else, he's not much of a man in my book and anything that happened to Charli was directly his fault due to his inability to think beyond bringing a pregnant woman out in the dark to help him, then leaving her to fend on her own because he "drives faster than she does". JMO.

My money's on the guy with motive and opportunity. I'm betting the rent on the person with the ridiculous alibi, the father of her unborn child, the person who called himself "the prime suspect" before it was determined that a crime had been committed, the guy with the hot new girlfriend who told him that she did not want to be a stepmom, and the person who was the last one known to have seen her. MOO.:moo:

While in some ways I agree with you, I am not sure what part of his alibi is so ridiculous. It also does not strike me as odd that he would think he was the prime suspect, even before it was officially announced as a homicide. At the point of the interview she had been missing for at least a week, of course he would think all eyes would be on him.

On the hot new girlfriend, they had been dating for a few months by this point. That's all I can really find as far as factual information, and it seems neither one thought it was that serious. I can find no hard information that states she told him she didn't want to be a step-mom.

Phone pings referenced on the Study facebook page are only an if. Main point is we don't know when her cell phone last pinged. We don't know what pings occurred before the last ping either.

Sure, he does seem the most likely perpetrator of this crime, I can agree to that. However, someone with intimate knowledge of where she was going could have easily committed the crime and scattered evidence to make SC look questionable.

Ok... Here's my pure speculation: Maybe SC wasn't really the father. Maybe it was someone else who had something to loose if it came out who the father really was. Per SC interview, I got the impression that he was not fully convinced he was indeed the father. My guess is he would have wanted a paternity test to prove this was the case. Where would eyes have turned if he wasn't the father? Once again, unfounded pure speculation.

Just trying to examine all possibilities.

While in some ways I agree with you, I am not sure what part of his alibi is so ridiculous. It also does not strike me as odd that he would think he was the prime suspect, even before it was officially announced as a homicide. At the point of the interview she had been missing for at least a week, of course he would think all eyes would be on him.

On the hot new girlfriend, they had been dating for a few months by this point. That's all I can really find as far as factual information, and it seems neither one thought it was that serious. I can find no hard information that states she told him she didn't want to be a step-mom.

Phone pings referenced on the Study facebook page are only an if. Main point is we don't know when her cell phone last pinged. We don't know what pings occurred before the last ping either.

Sure, he does seem the most likely perpetrator of this crime, I can agree to that. However, someone with intimate knowledge of where she was going could have easily committed the crime and scattered evidence to make SC look questionable.

Ok... Here's my pure speculation: Maybe SC wasn't really the father. Maybe it was someone else who had something to loose if it came out who the father really was. Per SC interview, I got the impression that he was not fully convinced he was indeed the father. My guess is he would have wanted a paternity test to prove this was the case. Where would eyes have turned if he wasn't the father? Once again, unfounded pure speculation.

Just trying to examine all possibilities.

I sincerely think it's great that you and other posters are examining all possibilities.

I have also tried to think of other possibilities. It's just that, to me, one possibility makes a whole lot more sense than any other.

Transcript from phone interview with Steven Capobianca: His answer to the question tell me what happened Sunday night.
"Sunday night? She picked me up from my house at 8:30, drove out to my truck that I got stuck in Keanae and she dropped me off at my truck -- it took me about 10 minutes to fix my truck, 'cause I had extra light tools with me at that time. And then we came back to Haiku. And I'm pretty sure I saw her lights in my rearview the entire time. I'm absolutely certain I saw her headlights in my rearview mirror until I got to Twin Falls and then I started speeding up 'cause I drive a little faster than she does."

We've all read the statement analysis and can say IMO his answers are all over the board. Maybe he says "drove out" instead of "we drove out" because someone was following them to help? As the statement analysis suggests that was an odd way to say that and was sensitive to him.
I'm thinking out loud here, but my mind keeps questioning his statement "she dropped me off"...that doesn't make sense.

Did she do just that? Drop him off somewhere? Maybe at the beginning of a back road he tells her the truck is stuck down? He tells her to wait for him there. It will only take a few minutes, he's got some light tools on him that should fix the stuck truck. He takes doggie with him.

He waits 10 minutes. A scenario to ponder.
$1200 is enough to maybe pay someone to fake a robbery and maybe a kick in the stomach but something went wrong. She ran. She fought back. Even SC says something was wrong. Read the statement analysis again.
SC comes back after 10 minutes. No one is around. He takes her car, albeit speeding away cause he's a fast driver and all, and heads to jaws. A known car dumping area. Her phone pings because it's still in the car.
The $1200 helper went the other way, randomly dumping clothes in a panic.

There's probably some holes in this thought, but in my opinion his statement holds the clues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
issy565