GUILTY HI - Carly Joann 'Charli' Scott, 27, pregnant, Makawao, 9 Feb 2014 - #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's funny how some of us get different impressions of him. I got a total sociopath take on him,even though I saw the same "Here we go" attitude. He walks in like he's just there for the motions. When his turn comes, he gets up and smiles, swinging his hands and beating them briefly on his thighs like he thinks nothing will happen to him. The attorney addresses him and he shrugs as if he hasn't done anything wrong. The average innocent person would be scared that they are going to jail, but SC doesn't seem to care. Who stands in a courtroom accused of a crime and doesn't care? A sociopath, because in their mind laws don't apply to them and they don't have to worry. JMO.

Love to read everyone's impressions and insights.
I saw his body language as a calculated and controlled nonchalance. Maybe that is sociopathic. But he seemed, to me, to have a difficult time maintaining eye contact with the attorney and the judge, which I interpret as anger or fear or both. I think he is intimidated by figures of authority and becomes a bit obsequious/wimpy initially. All a big, fat guess on my part.
Chime in on this, fellow sleuths.

Maybe they will bring disappeared back. That show renewed interest in cold cases that needed it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's funny how some of us get different impressions of him. I got a total sociopath take on him,even though I saw the same "Here we go" attitude. He walks in like he's just there for the motions. When his turn comes, he gets up and smiles, swinging his hands and beating them briefly on his thighs like he thinks nothing will happen to him. The attorney addresses him and he shrugs as if he hasn't done anything wrong. The average innocent person would be scared that they are going to jail, but SC doesn't seem to care. Who stands in a courtroom accused of a crime and doesn't care? A sociopath, because in their mind laws don't apply to them and they don't have to worry. JMO.

Yes, I completely agree. I especially like your comment regarding sociopaths..."in their mind laws do not apply to them."

I was trying to look at it as if I knew nothing about him. A jury most likely will not have followed the case this closely. I picked up on a sadness in his stance. An aloof emotion. Almost as if he has nothing left, no love to give and a wall up to receive it. Maybe from a crappy childhood. But there is emotion there. Not a dazed Charlie Manson type. And that's what people think of when they hear sociopath. A prosecuting attorney will have to spend some time explaining a sociopath. Who knows? I just went real deep...lol

So the two sides? Calculating sociopath with a delusional confidence or an aloof, immature, childish punk trying to act smooth for the camera?

Yes, I completely agree. I especially like your comment regarding sociopaths..."in their mind laws do not apply to them."

I was trying to look at it as if I knew nothing about him. A jury most likely will not have followed the case this closely. I picked up on a sadness in his stance. An aloof emotion. Almost as if he has nothing left, no love to give and a wall up to receive it. Maybe from a crappy childhood. But there is emotion there. Not a dazed Charlie Manson type. And that's what people think of when they hear sociopath. A prosecuting attorney will have to spend some time explaining a sociopath. Who knows? I just went real deep...lol

So the two sides? Calculating sociopath with a delusional confidence or an aloof, immature, childish punk trying to act smooth for the camera?
I must admit, I do keep forgetting how young he really is. If I cared to go with "He really isn't guilty of any of the things he is accused of" (That's a tall order at this point), I could possibly see he is naive enough to think that he doesn't have to worry because the court system will set him free when they find out he isn't guilty. Except that I don't think they would charge him with the theft if they didn't have proof, and that along with his actions sends me down the sociopath road.

(I have an old friend who is diagnosed with Antisocial Personality Disorder- what he and I have always referred to as sociopathic. He knows what he is, and uses tricks to keep himself in line because he logically knows that how he would normally act is not acceptable by societal norms. Great to talk to, horrible to interact in any other way with. We live on opposite sides of the country so we have a decent relationship, but it's why certain behaviors red flag me in people. )

@ Ghostwheel.......what do you see that makes you think SC doesn't care he's going to jail? I thought he appeared unnerved but was covering up and compensating. I think he feels the noose tightening.
So many differing takes, but it was only about a 30 second clip.

@Heartgoesout........I too saw a sad quality in him. I interpreted it as a SadSack stance.

I was expecting audio on the clip. All I can say about him is that he reminds me very much of a younger, thinner Scott Peterson in his general demeanor, expression, and body language.

@ Ghostwheel.......what do you see that makes you think SC doesn't care he's going to jail? I thought he appeared unnerved but was covering up and compensating. I think he feels the noose tightening.
So many differing takes, but it was only about a 30 second clip.

@Heartgoesout........I too saw a sad quality in him. I interpreted it as a SadSack stance.
It's not that I think he doesn't care if he is going to jail, it's that he thinks he is not going to stay in jail and therefore doesn't care about the court. The things that red flagged me were his smile when he got up off the chair; the swinging of the arms; the beats on the thighs, like he is playing something in his mind; the shrug when he was talking to the attorney-I did not see fear in his eyes when he did that, and I could make out what I interpreted as the words " I have no...". (this could be "I have no way to make bond", "I have nothing to do with this", etc), but he shrugs instead of shaking his head for whatever statement he makes in the negative. The one that really got me was when the attorney puts his hand on SC's shoulder and the sheriff comes over to put the handcuffs on, SC seems almost surprised that he is going to back to jail. His left hand goes palm up, like "What is going on?" (See attached screenshot).

I saw the sad quality in the mugshot. It is also possible he has resigned himself to his fate and is going down in the Hakuna Matata way. Most people aren't that calm about jail, but he could be one who really just goes through life taking whatever it throws at him.

Attachments

• Scott CapobiancoCourt.jpg
    Scott CapobiancoCourt.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 110
It's not that I think he doesn't care if he is going to jail, it's that he thinks he is not going to stay in jail and therefore doesn't care about the court. The things that red flagged me were his smile when he got up off the chair; the swinging of the arms; the beats on the thighs, like he is playing something in his mind; the shrug when he was talking to the attorney-I did not see fear in his eyes when he did that, and I could make out what I interpreted as the words " I have no...". (this could be "I have no way to make bond", "I have nothing to do with this", etc), but he shrugs instead of shaking his head for whatever statement he makes in the negative. The one that really got me was when the attorney puts his hand on SC's shoulder and the sheriff comes over to put the handcuffs on, SC seems almost surprised that he is going to back to jail. His left hand goes palm up, like "What is going on?" (See attached screenshot).

I saw the sad quality in the mugshot. It is also possible he has resigned himself to his fate and is going down in the Hakuna Matata way. Most people aren't that calm about jail, but he could be one who really just goes through life taking whatever it throws at him.

Interpretations are endlessly interesting to me. Thanks for explaining your take. I agree with his surprise at being handcuffed at the end. I thought he said to his attorney, "I don't know (or have) anything." And then he quickly looked away or down.
I took his hand movements to mean shaking off tension and the spritely (poor word) walk to stand in front of the judge was his contrived nonchalance. Ah, well. He doesn't remind me of S. Peterson, though....the crime does, but not Steven.

The wondering, waiting and watching his back has got to be mentally exhausting.
Could his demeanor be a subliminal sigh of relief? A roof over your head and three meals a day instead of robbery, drugs and crime...
Any word if he posted bail or is he still in?

He does not remind me of Scott Peterson either. Peterson was cocky, talkative and confident. Thus far I've not seen this from SC. He seems meek, whiny, poorly worded, a bit shy and introverted.
Peterson would have walked up to the court table with chest pumped out and a smirky grin and probably would flirt a bit with the female judge. SC looks like how a 13 year old would have behaved.

He does not remind me of Scott Peterson either. Peterson was cocky, talkative and confident. Thus far I've not seen this from SC. He seems meek, whiny, poorly worded, a bit shy and introverted.
Peterson would have walked up to the court table with chest pumped out and a smirky grin and probably would flirt a bit with the female judge. SC looks like how a 13 year old would have behaved.

That's how I see him, too. And a bit smarmy and obsequious to authority figures.

When did he bail out?

I don't know. The pages are so quiet now....nobody's talking/revealing/speculating, but we should be able to learn when he bailed out.
Would any locals be willing to come forward with information?
Also, does Crabapple have a new, active page?

I haven't posted in awhile, but wanted to add my own 2 cents about my impression re: the video of Steven's arrest. I watched as he stood before the judge. The prosecutor and SC exchanged words, SC shrugs, then the PA claps him on the back. They're 'buddies,' the PA is getting SC comfortable, getting him at ease, because he's planning on trying to hack into that brain during the ensuing weekend to find out what happened. That's what I got.

Maybe they will bring disappeared back. That show renewed interest in cold cases that needed it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MONDAY MAY 26, 2014 at 10:00 p.m.

Missing in Maui: A Disappeared Special
TV-14

On Feb 9, Charli Scott, a 27 y/o pregnant woman vanishes in Maui. Her stunned family and community ban together to look for her. Last seen on a treacherous road, they fear there’s been an accident. But as pieces of evidence surface, the mystery heightens.

http://www.investigationdiscovery.com/tv-shows/tv-schedule.htm

I haven't posted in awhile, but wanted to add my own 2 cents about my impression re: the video of Steven's arrest. I watched as he stood before the judge. The prosecutor and SC exchanged words, SC shrugs, then the PA claps him on the back. They're 'buddies,' the PA is getting SC comfortable, getting him at ease, because he's planning on trying to hack into that brain during the ensuing weekend to find out what happened. That's what I got.

Possibly. But, why would any "defendant" trust the prosecuting attorney that's working to bring him down for murder? Good ole boy syndrome?

Possibly. But, why would any "defendant" trust the prosecuting attorney that's working to bring him down for murder? Good ole boy syndrome?

Indeed, why? A lot of suspects do talk. I've watched real-life interrogations where the suspect will gain a sense of ease with the guys who are really out to nail them, thinking they can 'outwit' the cops and DA/PA. It's really kind of a mind-game.

He's angry but tries to seem calm and cool. I think he's surprised he wasn't arrested instantly in Feb. and now he's tired.
IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member