GUILTY HI - Carly Joann 'Charli' Scott, 27, pregnant, Makawao, 9 Feb 2014 - #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
What are your thoughts on where her truck was for 3 days?

SC was apparently living at his grandfather's house on Kalipo Place at the time of Charli's disappearance. See map @ this link.

http://www.mapquest.com/#cbde40a9547219ff4b795630

My best theory has SC using Charli's vehicle to drive up to Nahiku and possibly all the way to Hana, if the rumor of him being seen there that night is correct, abandoning her car and then walking home. Now if Charli had gone up Hana Hwy. with SC and had been following him home, she would have driven Hana Hwy back and turned on Kaupakalua Rd. to go back to Makawao. That's the main road, so I don't think he abandoned the vehicle there, because it would have been found MUCH sooner. Now Kaupakalua kind of forks, and the rightmost fork is Peahi Rd. which turns back and crosses Hana Hwy and goes out to the Jaws area.

So, IMHO, Charli's vehicle was abandoned somewhere on a less travelled road within walking distance of Kalipo Place. Take a map, draw a 5-mile long line in any direction starting with SC's house and make a circle with your 5-mile line as the radius. Her car could have been abandoned anywhere within that radius; I'm thinking somewhere where there's a dirt road or a turnout. I don't think that he had any help up to the point that he needed to abandon her vehicle. He needed to find a way home from the place where he left it, however, and the easiest way would be to simply walk. Someone asked if he had a bicycle; that is also a good possibility.

Most crimes of this nature are committed by a single perpetrator acting alone. A cold-blooded murderer doesn't want any witnesses or co-conspirators to have a sudden attack of conscience. He knows that other people have them even though he does not. MOO :cow:

Truck Possibilities

1 Truck burned at Pe'ahi early as Sun. night Feb9 - not found til Wed.Feb.12

2 Truck hidden in cane at Pe'ahi Sun. but moved out in open and burned later before found Wed night

3 Truck didn't have evidence in it but hidden elsewhere after murders and before driven to Pe'ahi.

4 Truck did have evidence in it and was hidden elsewhere being cleaned up before risking driving to Pe'ahi.

I miss any?

Big risks hiding it and driving it after Sun. If planning ahead why risk? If Pe'ahi is final destination why not dump there ASAP.

Seems latest it burned at Pe'ahi would been Tuesday night. Burning in daylight Wed. be too risky - everyone was looking by then. Seems it would been sitting there at least all day Wed. before it was found around 6:30pm.
Possible with all going on it was missed Mon. Tues. at Pe'ahi. Lot of people go through there but maybe thats just what happened. Sun. Mon. Tues. middle a night like 1-5am are real quiet.

If someone gave LE evidence about the truck that will help!!!!!!!

Truck Possibilities

1 Truck burned at Pe'ahi early as Sun. night Feb9 - not found til Wed.Feb.12

2 Truck hidden in cane at Pe'ahi Sun. but moved out in open and burned later before found Wed night

3 Truck didn't have evidence in it but hidden elsewhere after murders and before driven to Pe'ahi.

4 Truck did have evidence in it and was hidden elsewhere being cleaned up before risking driving to Pe'ahi.

I miss any?

Big risks hiding it and driving it after Sun. If planning ahead why risk? If Pe'ahi is final destination why not dump there ASAP.

Seems latest it burned at Pe'ahi would been Tuesday night. Burning in daylight Wed. be too risky - everyone was looking by then. Seems it would been sitting there at least all day Wed. before it was found around 6:30pm.
Possible with all going on it was missed Mon. Tues. at Pe'ahi. Lot of people go through there but maybe thats just what happened. Sun. Mon. Tues. middle a night like 1-5am are real quiet.

If someone gave LE evidence about the truck that will help!!!!!!!
Good observations and sleuthing!

I vote for #3; I don't think there was evidence in the truck; however, the truck itself was evidence and SC could not chance being seen with it after 2/9. I think he abandoned it Sunday night/very early Monday. If we knew the location from where SC allegedly called his girlfriend at 2 AM, we could guess the approximate time that the vehicle was abandoned.

You mention the time that the car was burned. Assuming that it was abandoned Sunday night/very early Monday, and assuming a cover-of-darkness burning, the possibilities are:

1: Burned early Monday shortly after being abandoned
2: Burned Monday night/early Tuesday morning
3: Burned Tuesday night/early Wednesday morning

IMHO, possibilities 2 and 3 are more likely than 1. Local posters have said that any abandoned vehicle in the area will quickly be stolen. The question is, how quickly? The first article that I could find regarding Charli's disappearance was published late Tuesday, and at that point, everyone was searching along Hana Hwy. It's remarkable that it was found on Wednesday. The searchers have done an amazing job so far!

All MOO. :cow:

Good observations and sleuthing!

I vote for #3; I don't think there was evidence in the truck; however, the truck itself was evidence and SC could not chance being seen with it after 2/9. I think he abandoned it Sunday night/very early Monday. If we knew the location from where SC allegedly called his girlfriend at 2 AM, we could guess the approximate time that the vehicle was abandoned.

You mention the time that the car was burned. Assuming that it was abandoned Sunday night/very early Monday, and assuming a cover-of-darkness burning, the possibilities are:

1: Burned early Monday shortly after being abandoned
2: Burned Monday night/early Tuesday morning
3: Burned Tuesday night/early Wednesday morning

IMHO, possibilities 2 and 3 are more likely than 1. Local posters have said that any abandoned vehicle in the area will quickly be stolen. The question is, how quickly? The first article that I could find regarding Charli's disappearance was published late Tuesday, and at that point, everyone was searching along Hana Hwy. It's remarkable that it was found on Wednesday. The searchers have done an amazing job so far!

All MOO. :cow:
I don't know about now, but many years ago when I was there often, I was told to never leave a car in an area where it looked like it might be abandoned (along Hana Highway-no one just leaves a car there; overnight at any tourist turnout or hiking spot; any tourist parking spot where there isn't a lot of activity, etc) longer than a day, and if you had a problem, get it towed or fixed ASAP and out of there.

So, assuming it was abandoned somewhere, I'd be likely to think Monday night, early Tuesday morning. However, if the car was driven to Pe'ahi and left (hoping it would be stripped and burned), I could easily see Sunday night, early Monday morning. I'm thinking if an article came out on Tuesday about Charli being missing, it would be crazy to burn the car then and take a chance of being caught doing so.

I don't know about now, but many years ago when I was there often, I was told to never leave a car in an area where it looked like it might be abandoned (along Hana Highway-no one just leaves a car there; overnight at any tourist turnout or hiking spot; any tourist parking spot where there isn't a lot of activity, etc) longer than a day, and if you had a problem, get it towed or fixed ASAP and out of there.

So, assuming it was abandoned somewhere, I'd be likely to think Monday night, early Tuesday morning. However, if the car was driven to Pe'ahi and left (hoping it would be stripped and burned), I could easily see Sunday night, early Monday morning. I'm thinking if an article came out on Tuesday about Charli being missing, it would be crazy to burn the car then and take a chance of being caught doing so.

May I ask... what is the purpose of burning the car, once it is stripped? Is that common around there? The burning sounds to me like whoever did it was eliminating evidence. Do the ones who go around stripping cars always end up burning them? Or is that a little out of the ordinary?

I know that has been discussed before, but it just seems strange to me. I don't hear too many cases of burned-out vehicles around here. One not long ago had the owner's body left in it, and some others were just vandalism or to cover up any evidence of a crime.

IF SC was the one who stripped and burned her car, why didn't he just leave her body in it?

May I ask... what is the purpose of burning the car, once it is stripped? Is that common around there? The burning sounds to me like whoever did it was eliminating evidence. Do the ones who go around stripping cars always end up burning them? Or is that a little out of the ordinary?

I know that has been discussed before, but it just seems strange to me. I don't hear too many cases of burned-out vehicles around here. One not long ago had the owner's body left in it, and some others were just vandalism or to cover up any evidence of a crime.

IF SC was the one who stripped and burned her car, why didn't he just leave her body in it?
Again, I am speaking of 10+ years ago, but burning was not uncommon. IMO, it was just "something to do" with a stripped car. I was never sure if the cars were brought to that area, and stripped and burned at the same time, or if the cars were brought to the area and stripped, then someone else burned it later "for fun", as it were.

Here is a video of the road to Jaws from 2009. Check out the overturned vehicles. It is much cleaner now, but the burning still happens.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=u7DiXg91InE

I know that has been discussed before, but it just seems strange to me. I don't hear too many cases of burned-out vehicles around here.

Burning them at Pe'ahi is common. Could say not burning it would be uncommon there. Vehicles are abandoned there for different reasons not just theft and sometimes it's by the owner who is done with it. It's an island and if you junk a car there it will still be somewhere on island. This is sorta better now than years ago and now there are programs like cash for cars. Pe'ahi gets illegal abandoned vehicles for different reasons. And a thing is Pe'ahi is technically private owned.

http://www.co.maui.hi.us/index.aspx?NID=834

Steven Capobianco doesn't need to torch the truck to destroy blood evidence if there isn't any in it (if she wasn't murdered in the truck and he didn't track blood into it.)
Evidence of him being in the truck is expected and wouldn't need to be destroyed.
He torches it to make it look like someone else did it to make people look for someone else as murderer and not at him. And he torches it to eliminate the question why there isn't evidence of anyone other than him and Charli in it that night.

IMO

Convenient for him there was a place just a few miles from his home where it is common to find vehicles that have been abandoned and burned for any number of different reasons.

IMO

Steven Capobianco doesn't need to torch the truck to destroy blood evidence if there isn't any in it (if she wasn't murdered in the truck and he didn't track blood into it.)
Evidence of him being in the truck is expected and wouldn't need to be destroyed.
He torches it to make it look like someone else did it to make people look for someone else as murderer and not at him. And he torches it to eliminate the question why there isn't evidence of anyone other than him and Charli in it that night.

IMO

Convenient for him there was a place just a few miles from his home where it is common to find vehicles that have been abandoned and burned for any number of different reasons.

IMO

-- I think it's helpful to refer to Charli's Toyota 4Runner either as that, the "SUV", or Charli's "car"... and to SC's truck as the "truck", just to keep things clear.*

-- Very helpful reminder that, IMHO also, he wants to make us look for some unknown "other", the car torcher.

--This part I don't understand--who would the "anyone other" be?*:waitasec:

-- I think it's helpful to refer to Charli's Toyota 4Runner either as that, the "SUV", or Charli's "car"... and to SC's truck as the "truck", just to keep things clear.*

-- Very helpful reminder that, IMHO also, he wants to make us look for some unknown "other", the car torcher.

BBM

Are you thinking that if SC torched the SUV himself, that he may have intended to point the finger at a particular car-torcher or group of car-torchers? Hmmm...

BBM

Are you thinking that if SC torched the SUV himself, that he may have intended to point the finger at a particular car-torcher or group of car-torchers? Hmmm...

Moo

Oh, no no...sorry if I was unclear. I meant that he was pointing to any Other, Bad Guy or Guys...to draw attention away from himself.

Perhaps all these random incompatible elements of evidence in the case are simply intended to confound investigators and not to set up an alternate story. Too much information...but --We must be so woefully behind where the investigation is by now. At least I'm hoping that's the case, as frustrating as that is...

By the way, I don't think he stripped & torched it himself, but I do think he could have called up (anonymously) some people he knew who would do it, and I think he would have watched to make sure that it was done. Moo

Yeah. It's such a rare and extremely violent crime that it actually doesn't leave a lot of room for it to be "anyone other."

Why would a stranger with or without witnesses hide the bodies and go to all the trouble of scattering evidence and torching the SUV?

Hiding the bodies seems to negate a random carjacking. If a random carjacker just wanted the SUV, and they were somehow able to get Charli and her dog away from it, they don't need to have a lot of contact with them. They risk a lot by spending even a minute more with a dead body. And going for a ride with her dog wtf.

What if... she was abducted and killed for her baby? Like from a family who wanted a baby or a woman who lied and told people she was pregnant and had to produce a child soon. That happened where I used to live.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Moo

Oh, no no...sorry if I was unclear. I meant that he was pointing to any Other, Bad Guy or Guys...to draw attention away from himself.

Perhaps all these random incompatible elements of evidence in the case are simply intended to confound investigators and not to set up an alternate story. Too much information...but --We must be so woefully behind where the investigation is by now. At least I'm hoping that's the case, as frustrating as that is...

By the way, I don't think he stripped & torched it himself, but I do think he could have called up (anonymously) some people he knew who would do it, and I think he would have watched to make sure that it was done. Moo

Okay, I agree that a lot of the evidence, as dispersed as it is, lends to the idea the perp is trying to confound everyone. I agree with your last paragraph, too. If true, I certainly wish the torchers would come forward and explain how they happened upon Charli's SUV.

What if... she was abducted and killed for her baby? Like from a family who wanted a baby or a woman who lied and told people she was pregnant and had to produce a child soon. That happened where I used to live.

She was five and half months pregnant.

Babies aren't viable outside the womb until at least 24 weeks, and even then the baby would need to be hospitalized. They would've had to keep her alive and captive for 4 months if they wanted her baby without the help of Doctors.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk

...I certainly wish the torchers would come forward and explain how they happened upon Charli's SUV.

Big amen to that...
A disturbing post, BTW, is on the find Charli FB page--'posts by others', not the main page--from a few days ago. The comments are worth reading, too.
(I'm sorry, I don't know how to insert the Find Charli FB page link, but it's on the WS resource page)

I feel frustrated with no news, no apparent progress...
Maybe someone on the ground on Maui could report? :seeya: Impressions, inklings...?
It'd be much appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member