GUILTY HI - Carly Joann 'Charli' Scott, 27, pregnant, Makawao, 9 Feb 2014 - #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, Kurt and Drew Kaiser are identical twins! Drew said SC was his "best friend".

From the Maui News article linked above:

Between 3 and 4 p.m. On Monday, Feb. 10, 2014, the day after Capobianco said he last saw Scott, he showed up at the Makawao house where Kaiser and his parents lived to return Kurt Kaiser's backpack, Drew Kaiser said. After looking in Capobianco's truck, Kaiser said he found his cellphone, which he had also left in the truck when the brothers went to Kihei bars with Capobianco over the weekend.

Kaiser said he invited Capobianco to a gathering at Kaiser's sister's house later that evening, but he said he was busy.

Kaiser said he asked Capobianco if he had seen Scott "and he said he did not."

Kaiser said the visit took "10 minutes at the most," which he said was unusual.

"He usually would hang out," Kaiser said. "He was in a hurry that night."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

At 7 or 8 the next morning, Feb. 11, 2014, Kaiser said he learned Scott was missing when he received text messages from Scott's sisters asking if he had seen her.

"I texted Steven to see if he knew or heard from her," Kaiser said. "He says he hasn't heard from her and she's probably fine."

Oh, Kurt and Drew Kaiser are identical twins! Drew said SC was his "best friend".

From the Maui News article linked above:

Between 3 and 4 p.m. On Monday, Feb. 10, 2014, the day after Capobianco said he last saw Scott, he showed up at the Makawao house where Kaiser and his parents lived to return Kurt Kaiser's backpack, Drew Kaiser said. After looking in Capobianco's truck, Kaiser said he found his cellphone, which he had also left in the truck when the brothers went to Kihei bars with Capobianco over the weekend.

Kaiser said he invited Capobianco to a gathering at Kaiser's sister's house later that evening, but he said he was busy.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

At 7 or 8 the next morning, Feb. 11, 2014, Kaiser said he learned Scott was missing when he received text messages from Scott's sisters asking if he had seen her.

"I texted Steven to see if he knew or heard from her," Kaiser said. "He says he hasn't heard from her and she's probably fine."

The worm has turned.

I have some questions which WS posters probably can't answer. When Drew asked Steven if he'd seen Charli on Monday night, was it in casual conversation?

I ask because later on it says he learned on Tuesday morning that Scott was missing via text message from the sisters.

From MauiNews "On the day murder suspect Steven Capobianco says his pregnant ex-girlfriend drove him to Keanae to retrieve his stalled truck, he told a friend the truck was in the parking lot at work in Paia, the friend testified Tuesday.
Kihei resident Kurt Kaiser said he had forgotten his backpack in Capobianco's truck two nights earlier and contacted Capobianco on Feb. 9, 2014, to get it back.
"He said that he was at work and his car was in the parking lot unlocked with my backpack in it," Kaiser said. Capobianco was working as a baker at Mana Foods in Paia.
Kaiser said he didn't get the backpack that day because by the time he got in touch with Capobianco in the afternoon, Kaiser was heading to his mother's house in Makawao to meet Capobianco's ex-girlfriend Carly "Charli" Scott, who gave him a haircut."

I also have a question? When the heck did Charli give him a haircut? She had an art event, then went home to change out of the ice-cream dress then went to her mothers. Or am I misreading something?

I have some questions which WS posters probably can't answer. When Drew asked Steven if he'd seen Charli on Monday night, was it in casual conversation?

I ask because later on it says he learned on Tuesday morning that Scott was missing via text message from the sisters.

I took that as a general question friends would ask each other like, Hey bro have you seen Charli? You guys talk about the baby? Any drama? I haven't heard from her today. She hasn't mentioned you lately... kinda along those lines.

Not as in we can't find her and I'm worried. At that point it may have been strange he didn't hear back from her but not your worst nightmare advent heard from her.

I gotta say when I read Drew consider Steven his best friend, it tugged on my heartstrings. I wonder if Steven had a reaction to him saying that. I think at that point I would have broke and started crying like a baby. Your best friend in a witness chair testifying against you. All for what????
Someone you've known for 7 years on trial for murder, how awful that must be. I wonder if he looks back now in hindsight and sees red flags.

From MauiNews "On the day murder suspect Steven Capobianco says his pregnant ex-girlfriend drove him to Keanae to retrieve his stalled truck, he told a friend the truck was in the parking lot at work in Paia, the friend testified Tuesday.
Kihei resident Kurt Kaiser said he had forgotten his backpack in Capobianco's truck two nights earlier and contacted Capobianco on Feb. 9, 2014, to get it back.
"He said that he was at work and his car was in the parking lot unlocked with my backpack in it," Kaiser said. Capobianco was working as a baker at Mana Foods in Paia.
Kaiser said he didn't get the backpack that day because by the time he got in touch with Capobianco in the afternoon, Kaiser was heading to his mother's house in Makawao to meet Capobianco's ex-girlfriend Carly "Charli" Scott, who gave him a haircut."

I also have a question? When the heck did Charli give him a haircut? She had an art event, then went home to change out of the ice-cream dress then went to her mothers. Or am I misreading something?
One of Charli's jobs was working at Paragon salon in Makawao, although sounds like this cut was at his mom's house, also in Makawao, as was Charli's home.

Either Phaedra or Fiona or both testified that on top of the art event, Charli gave haircuts that afternoon, most likely at the salon. I wasn't paying super close attention to that part of the testimony. Testified that was a good part of why she was tired later.

Again. Possible truck confusion. Is it established in court, that the truck that was in the Mana parking lot (that had been that weekend's party truck) is the same truck in SC's stuck truck story? I want there to be a "gotcha!" on this, but as we know, he had two trucks. The reporting makes it sound like there's one truck. The "Truck"...I'm ready to use license numbers to distinguish these Trucks...

Anyway, it may be that the one in the Mana parking lot that morning was the same one he stated was at Keanae...it just isn't clear from the reporting and maybe not in the questioning & testimony....

However, he did say something about how he got a ride to work that day, iirc...

All these lies about the truck and his wherabouts, for an innocent man just doesn't jib.

Wow, Charli was certainly busy that Sunday. In a way it's like she was making her last rounds, unconciously saying goodbye to her loved ones.

All these lies about the truck and his wherabouts, for an innocent man just doesn't jib.

Wow, Charli was certainly busy that Sunday. In a way it's like she was making her last rounds, unconciously saying goodbye to her loved ones.

*Jibe

This is super interesting testimony. I didn't want to comment on it until I could see the whole MNews article, which took me a long time, as it was paywalling me and the app was not displaying this article. For anyone else having issues, this cached link worked for me, and should work until Google crawls it again.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...uck-s-location.html+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

I'm going to find my last timeline and add this in.
What strikes me the most aside from the obvious contradiction of his truck breakdown story:

1) Capobianco was not setting up the alibi he eventually used on either Sunday or Monday, at least not with the Kaisers. He did not admit to having seen Charli, when asked on Monday night.

2) On Tuesday morning, when he had already told MPD about seeing Charli Sunday night, an hour or so later he texted Kaiser he had NOT seen Charli.
What's up with that? Then as soon as he gets to work, when Brooke shows up (I think it was Brooke), he does tell his fake story and admits seeing Charli.

Why is he telling people who are all going to talk to each other stories that don't mesh at all?

3) our first report of Steven re Monday the 10th after work.
Right after work he goes to Makawao, but he is in a hurry to go do something. Fits the theory of additional cleanup Monday night.

4) After they found the burned truck Wednesday, after SC does the phone interview with Mileka Lincoln Thursday morning and he says he is not really partaking in the searches, he is back out at Keanae "searching." This is after Kim told him not to show up at any more searches too. Then he takes off suddenly and fast as they decide to go to Peahi and search. To do what?
After work the afternoon of Feb. 13, 2014, Kaiser said he and his sister drove to Keanae, where family members and others, including Capobianco, were searching for Scott.As the sun was setting, Kaiser said he and others decided to go to the "Jaws" surf spot in Peahi to search. "We were all in a group on the side of the road talking," Kaiser said, when Capobianco left.
"He left before all of us, and he went real quick, really fast," Kaiser said.
He said it was dark when he and his sister reached "Jaws," where police had blocked off the road after finding Scott's burned Toyota 4Runner. Kaiser said he called Capobianco and recalled him saying, "I didn't go. I'm at home already."
Note this is at sunset on Thursday, the exact same time that Phaedra, Max, Molly are packing up the evidence at Nua'ailua.
____
I am also wondering if Drew Kaiser's phone records tell us where Steven's truck was between Friday night in Kihei and the phone's return to Kaiser Monday night. No details on what kind of phone, how smart, whether it was turned on (seems likely). Did MPD get those records?

Again. Possible truck confusion. Is it established in court, that the truck that was in the Mana parking lot (that had been that weekend's party truck) is the same truck in SC's stuck truck story? I want there to be a "gotcha!" on this, but as we know, he had two trucks. The reporting makes it sound like there's one truck. The "Truck"...I'm ready to use license numbers to distinguish these Trucks...

Anyway, it may be that the one in the Mana parking lot that morning was the same one he stated was at Keanae...it just isn't clear from the reporting and maybe not in the questioning & testimony....

However, he did say something about how he got a ride to work that day, iirc...
hey Napili, while it is confusing to us because we are trying to sort his vehicles, I feel confident it was the same truck. The headline of the article is all about the contradiction, so that must have been clear in court as the point Rivera was presenting.
Headline:
Witness offers contradictory testimony about truck’s location
Defendant told friend vehicle was at work when he says it was broken down in Keanae
And Apo did not (apparently) try to use the "other" truck to muddy things, or it would have been in the article.

Nikki, I apologize, I think that was due to my bad editing of excerpts from the article. I was in a hurry when I posted that. I will see if I can still go back and fix it.

Nikki, I apologize, I think that was due to my bad editing of excerpts from the article. I was in a hurry when I posted that. I will see if I can still go back and fix it.

Not really. The article was written in the same confusing manner. Lol. Honestly, since I have been in the courtroom listening to Rivera a few times now, I know he jumps around and doesn't properly state or establish dates for the listener.

Yeah he does indeed.
this article was confusing because reporter calls both of the identical twins simply Kaiser multiple times. only by seeing the entire article could I tell that she first goes through all of Kurt' then switches to Drew. So Kaiser refers to Kurt until the switch, and every Kaiser after that is Drew.
Of course if you snip a quote, it's not clear at all. And the dates are not clear. I really wish they would say Thursday, Feb. 13 instead of just the 13th, as I have this timeline in my head by day of the week, starting with the fatal Sunday.

He's lying to Drew Kaiser about not having seen Charli on Tuesday morning, at nearly the same time as he's telling MPD and Brooke that he HAD seen her on Sunday night!

He clearly did NOT set up his alibi ahead of time, he made that up on the fly. His truck was probably at the Kalipo Place house Sunday afternoon. Just amazingly stupid.

I would love to hear how fellow sleuths think on this question:
is SC just a person who continually lies with no thought of continuity?

Re getting away with murder:
Did he originally plan to present the story of Charli giving him a ride out Hana Highway, and then if anything happened to her it was after they parted?
Or was his plan to make her body disappear and to claim ignorance as to where she had been?
Two very different sets of facts to present.

Is it really possible that he didn't have a story prepared, didn't expect to be asked? (Seems unlikely)

What I feel is safe to say is that as of Sunday when Kurt called him, he knew he was going to kill her that night, but he did not know that he was going to tell the fake story that his truck broke down near Keanae the night before and was still out there. He had made a fake story for Kass about his plan to work on a friend's truck, to cover the time he intended for the crime. He had told her this Saturday night. He took his truck to work Sunday and told Kurt it was at Mana foods. On Monday he told Kaisers he hadn't seen Charli.

So what changed between Monday night and Tuesday morning?

He's lying to Drew Kaiser about not having seen Charli on Tuesday morning, at nearly the same time as he's telling MPD and Brooke that he HAD seen her on Sunday night!

He clearly did NOT set up his alibi ahead of time, he made that up on the fly. His truck was probably at the Kalipo Place house Sunday afternoon. Just amazingly stupid.
Stupid, or part of his psychopathy?
It seems from what I'm reading that people who tell lies pathologically have a blind spot in their understanding of the fact that normal people both mind being lied to and quite often notice they are being lied to, maybe at a later time when they have other knowledge that contradicts. It's almost as if he tells the lies just for now and whether someone will buy into it right now, and doesn't think about that person and some other person comparing stories or exchanging facts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper