GUILTY HI - Carly Joann 'Charli' Scott, 27, pregnant, Makawao, 9 Feb 2014 - #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sunday 2/9 Charli attends work function, gives a haircut and attends get together at KS house.
Sunday 2/9 Taylor Farner tries to contact SC with over 90 texts with no response. Between midnight and 2am she meets SC at Hanzawa's.
Sunday 2/9 2:30am CK gets a skype from SC.
Monday 2/10 7am Nala found clean at Nahiku Market Place. Family does not have knowledge of this.
Monday 2/10 SC shows up at Kaiser home between 3-4pm to return a backpack and cell phone.
Monday 2/10 KS reports Charli missing 10pm
Tuesday 2/11 Police show up at SC home to question if he's seen Charli.
Tuesday 2/11 Brooke Scott visits Steven at Mana foods @ 8:30am to ask questions. SC agrees to meet her at Kimberlyn's house at 3:30p and they drive in separate vehicles to drive Hana. They meet up Phaedra who joins Brooke in her car. Later that evening SC is asked by KS to give a timeline. KS allows SC to take Zoey
2/12 1:30am Phaedra and Adam pick up Zoey from Albert Young.

Location1: Burnt car found at Jaws, Wednesday 2/12 evening.

Location 2: February 13th found late morning
some 5 miles away from location 4 near Mile Marker 9-10 near Kaumahina State Wayside Park, Police were led to the makai shoulder of the roadway where a blood stained pair of Blue jeans were found by searchers.
Blue jeans found lying on top of bushes when Loo arrived.
Zip ties found near jeans. (Not processed)

Location 3 Feb 13
drag marks near guard rail Mile Marker 18 (not photographed) steep drop off several 100 ft.

Location 4
Thursday 2/13 Evening getting dark
Nuaailua Bay, which is known as "Paraquats" beach Mile Marker 15.5 area
Phaedra found: Charli's clothing, a long black skirt with stab marks and a blue polka dot blouse.
a green blanket WITH MAGGOTS, Twilight DVD. (??shoes belonging to Charli??, reported but not in testimony)
BLACK pants and GREY hooded zip up jacket (that were not Charli's)
Masking tape
(This is the area SC told Brooke when the two of them drove Hana on Feb. 11th that he had already looked there)

Location 4
Next day Friday 2/14
Nuaailua Bay, which is known as "Paraquats" beach Mile Marker 15.5 area
gloves reported but not testified to
Pool of maggots
Scott's jawbone split in two, 6 feet apart,
clumps of her red hair,
pieces of skin,
a bra,
body piercing with flesh,
fingertips and nails of her right hand,

noted for myself.
Wailua Wayside Park, where Capobianco said he was picked up by the driver of the Toyota Corolla.

Trying to keep this timeline straight. Again, please feel free to add or correct, copy and paste etc...
I'd like to get a list together of what he told who about his plans and hands, to straighten that out in my head. Just need to find the time.

I would love to hear how fellow sleuths think on this question:
is SC just a person who continually lies with no thought of continuity?

Re getting away with murder:
Did he originally plan to present the story of Charli giving him a ride out Hana Highway, and then if anything happened to her it was after they parted?
Or was his plan to make her body disappear and to claim ignorance as to where she had been?
Two very different sets of facts to present.

Is it really possible that he didn't have a story prepared, didn't expect to be asked? (Seems unlikely)

What I feel is safe to say is that as of Sunday when Kurt called him, he knew he was going to kill her that night, but he did not know that he was going to tell the fake story that his truck broke down near Keanae the night before and was still out there. He had made a fake story for Kass about his plan to work on a friend's truck, to cover the time he intended for the crime. He had told her this Saturday night. He took his truck to work Sunday and told Kurt it was at Mana foods. On Monday he told Kaisers he hadn't seen Charli.

So what changed between Monday night and Tuesday morning?

I think he lies when he thinks he needs to - when the person he is lying to would not take the truth well, or when he is being self-protective. He seems to think that everyone will just take what he says at face value or that they will soon forget what he said.

I think his original plan was to claim that he didn't know where she was and that he hadn't seen her that night. I think what tripped him up was the police showing up at his house early Tuesday morning. The police may have asked, "what if I told you that you were seen that night" or he might have thought that someone saw him and that's why the police came to his house. Remember how he mentioned the distinctive looking headlights both in the police interview and when talking to Kim Scott?

Trying to keep this timeline straight. Again, please feel free to add or correct, copy and paste etc...
I'd like to get a list together of what he told who about his plans and hands, to straighten that out in my head. Just need to find the time.

Awesome, HGO. I was working on a timeline that had the person who testified about each piece of evidence, but yours is way more complete.

Please still post. Writing it all down in one place helps me visualize. And I'm still hoping the lightbulb goes off and I have that aha! moment where it all becomes clear. Definitely combine the two.

OK, here you go. I just added in the Kaiser's testimony. Still pretty incomplete.

Timeline of events according to testimony

Sunday 2/9/14
Afternoon Kurt Kaiser contacts SC to see if he left his backpack in his 4Runner over the weekend. SC says it is in his unlocked 4Runner in the parking lot of Mana Foods. (Kurt Kaiser)
8:15 PM SC leaves his house (CK)
10:56 PM Last ping from Charli's phone at Nua'ailua (PW)
12:00 AM - 2:00 AM Meets Taylor Farner at Hanzawa's in Haiku (TF)
2:20 AM - Skypes Cass, shows injuries on hand (CK)

Monday 2/10/14
Between 3:00 and 4:00 PM, SC showed up at the Makawao house where Drew Kaiser and his parents lived to return Kurt Kaiser's backpack. DK retrieves his cell phone from SC's 4Runner. DK invited SC to go to his sister's house but SC was "in a hurry". (DK)
7:00 - 7:30 AM Dog Nala is found at Nahiku Marketplace (AY)
All day – Kimberlyn tries to contact Charli – more than 20 times (KS)
8:00 PM Kim texts all of her daughters (KS)
Evening KS and PW go to Charli’s home. (KS, PW)
KS calls police, they arrive @ her house 10:00 PM (KS)

Tuesday 2/11
7:00 - 8:00 AM DK learns that Charli is missing via texts from Charli's sisters.
3:00 – 3:30 PM Brooke meets SC, he shows her where his truck allegedly broke down. They meet Phaedra and Kim on the road, Phaedra jumps in Brooke’s car. On the way back to Haiku, they spot SC coming up the dirt road to Paraquats. (BS)

Wednesday 2/12
Evening ~ 6:00 PM Charli’s stripped and burned 4Runner is found at Peahi “Jaws” (Loo)

Thursday 2/13
Late morning: Blood stained jeans and zip ties found near mile marker 9-10 near Kaumahina State Wayside Park. (Loo)
Drag marks found, makai (ocean) side of the road at appox MM18 (Loo)
Late evening/nightfall Phaedra, Max, and Molly find Twilight DVD, Charli’s blue polka dot top and black skirt, and green blanket. The green blanket is covered in maggots. They bring these items to Kim’s house in Haiku and the police pick them up from there. (PW, MW, MJ)

Friday 2/14

Search is focused on the Nua’ailua Bay area where Charli’s clothing was found. Police find a pool of maggots, clumps of red hair, a piece of jawbone, fingernails, pieces of skin, a bra and a body piercing with flesh still attached. (Loo)

Saturday 2/15
Search continues at Nua’ailua Bay. All items recovered during the 2/14 and 2/15 searches were turned over to the Maui Forensic Facility. (Loo)

We now also have a Kaiser's phone in Stevens possession. Wonder if that will be relevant?

This is super interesting testimony. I didn't want to comment on it until I could see the whole MNews article, which took me a long time, as it was paywalling me and the app was not displaying this article. For anyone else having issues, this cached link worked for me, and should work until Google crawls it again.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...uck-s-location.html+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

I'm going to find my last timeline and add this in.
What strikes me the most aside from the obvious contradiction of his truck breakdown story:

1) Capobianco was not setting up the alibi he eventually used on either Sunday or Monday, at least not with the Kaisers. He did not admit to having seen Charli, when asked on Monday night.

2) On Tuesday morning, when he had already told MPD about seeing Charli Sunday night, an hour or so later he texted Kaiser he had NOT seen Charli.
What's up with that? Then as soon as he gets to work, when Brooke shows up (I think it was Brooke), he does tell his fake story and admits seeing Charli.

Why is he telling people who are all going to talk to each other stories that don't mesh at all?

3) our first report of Steven re Monday the 10th after work.
Right after work he goes to Makawao, but he is in a hurry to go do something. Fits the theory of additional cleanup Monday night.

4) After they found the burned truck Wednesday, after SC does the phone interview with Mileka Lincoln Thursday morning and he says he is not really partaking in the searches, he is back out at Keanae "searching." This is after Kim told him not to show up at any more searches too. Then he takes off suddenly and fast as they decide to go to Peahi and search. To do what?
Note this is at sunset on Thursday, the exact same time that Phaedra, Max, Molly are packing up the evidence at Nua'ailua.
____
I am also wondering if Drew Kaiser's phone records tell us where Steven's truck was between Friday night in Kihei and the phone's return to Kaiser Monday night. No details on what kind of phone, how smart, whether it was turned on (seems likely). Did MPD get those records?

Absolutely awesome summary & analysis!! ...TOAST!

Thank you too for the web cache link!! I was having the same problem & gave up..

( ...How do you think the in official (FTL) report about cleaning his truck Monday fits in with these new details?)

All these lies about the truck and his wherabouts, for an innocent man just doesn't jib.

Wow, Charli was certainly busy that Sunday. In a way it's like she was making her last rounds, unconciously saying goodbye to her loved ones.

So true, NL...I was thinking, too, that she had been working so so hard for her and Joshua's future life.

What I do with Maui News is copy the headline, open a new browser window, open Google, paste the headline text and then search. It works if the article is new. Then I paste the entire article into a Word doc and save it for reference.

Great composite timelines--I'm imagining everyone frantically trying to get all the new testimony factored in, as I've been doing, but it takes so much time... So, I really appreciate this.

I'm concentrating on what SC's movements were, starting Friday, the 7th. Here are some topics I need to remember to include. (Some can be gleaned from the testimonies & some from past posts & articles, but some items are unknown.):

SC's work days
Times occupied communing w/ Cass
Other comm. times phone & text--& conversations (as, when was his first reply to Taylor on the night of Feb 9, indicating that he'd just re entered cell phone range -and/or- had finished his business.) (and at work Monday morning re his hurt hands. )
Whereabouts of BOTH trucks
When he was w/ with LE
When he talked to press
When the grille & doors were removed (& when reported found/acquired--)
When Charli's SUV taken to jaws
Times of FB activity
Other misc. movements

What I do with Maui News is copy the headline, open a new browser window, open Google, paste the headline text and then search. It works if the article is new. Then I paste the entire article into a Word doc and save it for reference.
It doesn't work for me that way. I do the same with the headline, but only a cached link will work. The problem is that when the article is only a few hours old, there is no cached link yet. I had to wait a while today. Not sure why Maui News is not posting the trial articles to its app when they are new. Because people are willing to pay maybe?

I will be saving them from now on. I paste them into emails and mail them to myself. (I don't have Word.). Mostly I've been reading through the app, and I don't know how to copy there. Maybe I can.
I much appreciate your sharing, Kapua. Today was the first one where I felt confused, and I'm sure it was the identical twin factor, lol.

Great composite timelines--I'm imagining everyone frantically trying to get all the new testimony factored in, as I've been doing, but it takes so much time... So, I really appreciate this.

I'm concentrating on what SC's movements were, starting Friday, the 7th. Here are some topics I need to remember to include. (Some can be gleaned from the testimonies & some from past posts & articles, but some items are unknown.):

SC's work days
Times occupied communing w/ Cass
Other comm. times phone & text--& conversations (as, when was his first reply to Taylor on the night of Feb 9, indicating that he'd just re entered cell phone range -and/or- had finished his business.) (and at work Monday morning re his hurt hands. )
Whereabouts of BOTH trucks
When he was w/ with LE
When he talked to press
When the grille & doors were removed (& when reported found/acquired--)
When Charli's SUV taken to jaws
Times of FB activity
Other misc. movements
thats an important one to have just his activity and no other. Maybe put the unknown in a colored font or other font to contrast?

I think his new truck that needed tires was not leaving Haiku. At least it has not been talked about anywhere else.
So if it is Hana Highway, Pai'a, Makawao, It should be the Forerunner.

I have copies of his old Facebook. Posts, but they don't have time stamps, only the date. Unless there were replies.

thats an important one to have just his activity and no other. Maybe put the unknown in a colored font or other font to contrast?

I think his new truck that needed tires was not leaving Haiku. At least it has not been talked about anywhere else.
So if it is Hana Highway, Pai'a, Makawao, It should be the Forerunner.

I have copies of his old Facebook. Posts, but they don't have time stamps, only the date. Unless there were replies.

I'm struck by how packed those first few days were. That's why I just don't get why the random and numerous facebook posts would be something he'd bother about. They weren't conversations or personal, just shared memes. Pointless, really. And they didn't seem to have the bizarre & disturbing elements that some of his earlier & later ones had. Some time ago, I thought that he might have had someone else (like Cass) posting on his FB to provide an alibi or at least a cover for his preparations on S the 9th, and clean-up on M the 10th. But he seems so incapable of that kind of planning, now. I wish I still had them to factor in now.

Pua. Does any of this comport with his FB posts that you have? I do remember that there were some replies, so if we know those times, at least it's something, right?

Pua said:
"I think his new truck that needed tires was not leaving Haiku. At least it has not been talked about anywhere else.
So if it is Hana Highway, Pai'a, Makawao, It should be the Forerunner."
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

I just need to know that this is accurate, then I can let this bone go. Lol.

I remember the discussion about the safety laws and all, but do we know for a fact that the "new truck" ( which might be a Ford OR a 4runner, yes?) would not be able to leave Haiku (just because the law? Or bad tires...?) would it have been just this, or was it actually undrivable?

Also, if he had Kurt Kaiser's backpack in his truck, parked at Mana foods, Monday afternoon (9th), then if it had had anything to do with the night before, it was still uncleaned (or he would have found the backpack and Drew's phone).And he was unconcerned about anything that might be seen in the truck by Kurt if he came to get his pack. And I'm curious about the claim by (I think) Brooke, that he cleaned his truck that day--after work. That's one reason for thinking that maybe he used the other truck for something. So, I'm still wondering if both trucks are in play.

(Again) This is Taylor's account of their meeting at Hanzawa's the night before only hours after the presumed murder--Sunday the 9th (early the 10th, technically):
[SC] "arrived in his white truck, the same truck that got stuck on the Hāna Highway in October of 2013"...

"Farner said she also recalled asking the defendant about his 4Runner and said he told her that it was broken down at his house"...
Does her asking about the 4Runner mean that she was expecting him to be driving it? Is THAT the one with the bad tires? Furthermore, what is the model of the truck he drove? And, was it " Broken down"....or covered in evidence? Did he switch trucks that night when he got home?

Of Trucks and Men - pretty sure Taylor was correct in her testimony regarding him showing up in his Ford to Hanzawas.

Btw, we just had an adventure here, power knocked out at Mama's, all of Haiku went black. Detour up through Makawao sent me past Hanzawas close to midnight. Talk about sketchy. It was not a place I'd want to meet anyone after closing, that's for sure.

Don't forget the defense fought to have the testimony from the cellphone carriers thrown out.

P and A picked up Nala (not Zoey) from Young.

I finally discovered I could just type the article headline in Google (iPad) and for some mysterious, to me, reason I can then read the MauiNews article. You need to be patient because it will say you need to subscribe for a bit before the rest of the article appears. Then I do a screenshot of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
softhunterstech