GUILTY HI - Carly Joann 'Charli' Scott, 27, pregnant, Makawao, 9 Feb 2014 - #6

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apo was finally admonished by Cardoza for trying to insert his ear worms over the prosecution's sustained objections! He was very childish (whiney, slouchy and pouty) in his responses.

Wow. Just watched the clip. 'Bout time.

Lone found slipper matched box at missing woman’s residence
http://www.mauinews.com/page/conten...-box-at-missing-woman-s-residence.html?nav=10

Sgt. Eduardo Bayle said that he and other police Special Response Team officers were searching a wooded area off a dirt road to Nuaailua Bay on Feb. 14, 2014, when he found the Roxy brand slipper.

"There's an opening, a little trail where trees are not so thick," he said, describing the area he and other officers searched. After Bayle found the slipper, he said officers searched nearby but couldn't find the matching slipper.

-------------------------------------------

Bayle testified after Earles answered juror-submitted questions, including some asking why not all evidence gathered in the investigation was sent to other agencies for additional testing.

A couple of juror questions asked about why the black bra and a body piercing at Nuaailua Bay were recovered as evidence while a black waistpack wasn't.

Under follow-up questioning by First Deputy Prosecuting Attorney Robert Rivera, Earles said that the body piercing was shiny and on top of the ground, unlike the waistpack, which was "semi-buried in soil."

"The material is deteriorated," Earles said, describing the waistpack. "It's basically embedded in the soil."

In photos he took, there appeared to be "mold or some kind of plant life that was growing on it," Earles said.

Responding to a juror question about whether the jeans were men's or women's, Earles said, "To be honest, I don't make that assumption. I just document the evidence as it is. You can see in the fronts where the closures are."

On the front button waistbands of both pairs, photos showed the post on the right side and the loop or hole on the left, Earles said.

Under questioning by defense attorney Jon Apo, Earles said that the same was true for a pair of jeans photographed in a laundry basket at Scott's residence.

Lone found slipper matched box at missing woman’s residence
http://www.mauinews.com/page/conten...-box-at-missing-woman-s-residence.html?nav=10

Sgt. Eduardo Bayle said that he and other police Special Response Team officers were searching a wooded area off a dirt road to Nuaailua Bay on Feb. 14, 2014, when he found the Roxy brand slipper.

"There's an opening, a little trail where trees are not so thick," he said, describing the area he and other officers searched. After Bayle found the slipper, he said officers searched nearby but couldn't find the matching slipper.
Here is something new that perhaps addresses the problem I have been stuck on of thick, pathless jungle. A little trail, and a slipper found on it.

This could be evidence of her forced march. It would be easy to stumble and twist a slipper off with it being dark and not a great trail. Did they show a photo of the trail? I haven't seen this testimony yet.

Re the discussion of SC's description of her clothing. My take was different and is just an interpretation of course. I thought that because he did remove her clothes and knew very well what they were, that he was describing as if he had not paid much attention and not really looked at her, trying to say she was just driving and then never out of the car, getting the outfit just a little wrong in terms of color and what it was.

Polka dots stand out in dim light and would be the first thing I would recall, I am sure, much more than the shade of color. But he did not mention the dots. I think it was all just a ploy to downplay their interaction.

Re the discussion of SC's description of her clothing. My take was different and is just an interpretation of course. I thought that because he did remove her clothes and knew very well what they were, that he was describing as if he had not paid much attention and not really looked at her, trying to say she was just driving and then never out of the car, getting the outfit just a little wrong in terms of color and what it was.

Polka dots stand out in dim light and would be the first thing I would recall, I am sure, much more than the shade of color. But he did not mention the dots. I think it was all just a ploy to downplay their interaction.

Yes, that was my take on it too. Someone suggested a while back that Steven was actually messing with the detective and was telling him what Taylor Farner wore on their date down the Hana Hwy, but I strongly disagree with that. I argued that Steven answered the question of what she was wearing in a way that was deliberately hazy/vague, but was accurate in a general sense, since he was answering in a way that was consistent with his official story i.e. that he'd only seen her in darkness in the cab of the truck.

Regarding the fact that Steven was actually a lot more intimately familiar with what she was wearing because he'd removed her clothes, one thing I haven't seen discussed here much is the issue of lighting at Nua'ailua. His only light source may have been a cell phone or a small flashlight held in his mouth. I don't think he could see very well at all at Nua'ailua, and this also explains the baffling saw incisions on Charli's jawbone: these jaw cuts make no sense to me in terms of beheading. But they do make sense if he was doing the beheading in darkness. The forensic analyst spoke of the incisions as "false starts" in sawing, and this would be because he thought he was cutting at the neck, but then realized he was cutting at the jaw and not the neck.....because he couldn't see what he was doing.

On parts of Hana Hwy you can see over the whole valley where the crime scene is, and he was likely afraid of someone noticing illumination, so I believe he was down there working in whole or a very great degree of darkness on Sunday night.

I totally agree that he was trying to act like he'd paid little attention to what Charli was wearing. "I think I could see her shoulders." (Rolling my eyes.) He also claimed that he didn't see her shoes because she was driving and never got out of the car. It struck me as deliberately deceptive and odd the first time that I listened to the interview.

Someone other than me was first to suggest that his description "some kind of black dress" more closely matched what Taylor Farner described as her attire on the night that SC's Ford truck got stuck on Hana Hwy. That does fit the pattern of how SC generally constructs his lies - with a tiny grain of truth from some other life experience. You can argue about whether or not that's what he was doing in this instance.

Others who saw Charli that night described her wearing a blue polka dot tank top and black skirt. I also would notice the polka dots. They are very eye-catching - a fun print to match Charli's fun personality.

Often, when I am wearing a skirt and top, someone will compliment me on my "dress" even though I am wearing separates.

Anyway, IMHO, SC knew exactly what Charli was wearing that night, right down to the slippers, and his failure to mention the polka dots was deliberate.

It is very dark at Paraquats at night. Even during the day, the tree canopy is pretty thick. I'm not sure a flickering light from the crime scene would necessarily catch my eye if I were driving at night. The reason being is that you're swinging down around the bend and naturally you want to look at the ocean and keep your eyes the road.

We're playing Monday morning quaterbacking wondering why no one saw him and Charli disappear into the night. Her clothing must've been removed at the scene otherwise why not burn them up in the car?

It is very dark at Paraquats at night. Even during the day, the tree canopy is pretty thick. I'm not sure a flickering light from the crime scene would necessarily catch my eye if I were driving at night. The reason being is that you're swinging down around the bend and naturally you want to look at the ocean and keep your eyes the road.

I'm not even talking about whether a driver would notice a light flickering though, I'm thinking about Steven's perspective, not the driver. He is down there, fairly close to the highway, murdering and dismembering someone at night. I'm sure he would be terrified about attracting any kind of attention. So IMO he would have likely been very spartan about a light source. And I believe the jawbone marks fit best with him doing this in a high degree of darkness. I see him using the light on his cell phone and only having it on briefly to get his bearings while he was doing the dirty work. JMO...

I have driven back from Hana on Sunday night several times and there are occasional cars on the road: tourists returning from a day-trip or weekend trip to Hana, and Hana residents returning from being in Kahului. Every time a car came through on the highway I'm sure he was aware of it and it made him tense. "What if they see a light?....What if they stopped around the bend to look out over the ocean and they hear something in the valley?......What if they turn down the dirt road to the bay and the 4-Runner's blocking the road!?"

A lot of paranoia that night, I'm sure.

Terrific posts everyone. Lots of agreement here.
Re the light, I agree he would be nervous. I also have lived in parts of the island with very little ambient light. A source of artificial light is all the brighter for that.
the moon was between first quarter and full. That would not have helped much under the tree canopy, but would be some lessening of the darkness.

Did anyone else perk up at the info that her slipper was found on a "little path"?

Kapua, I'm glad you mentioned Charli's fun personality. Polka dots are fun and also retro, another look she did so well. Steven's descriptions seem to take the fun out of her. He never shows her as lively, fun, imaginative, beautiful, colorful, spirited.

He describes her as kind of big, awkward, heavyset, pregnant, wearing indeterminate dark clothes, with a mouth that makes people want to hurt her. Very denigrating and not similar to what you hear from any other person who knew her.

I checked my jeans. All of them have posts on the right and loops on the left, and they are all women's jeans, FWIW.

Pua, The finding of the slipper on the little path & as you described the "forced march" was all too evocative. I hadn't ever really been able to move fully into your psychological analyses of Steven before. I suppose I didn't wan't to believe someone could do this thing all the way--be that totally given in to evil--just as I came kicking and screaming to the fact of the dismemberment. But, that slipper on that dark pathway brings it home like nothing else. Everything you said, and others, too, about how the twisted mind of the pathological narcissist thinks...seeing him behind her, certain that she deserved all of it, knowing what he was doing...would do...Angrily answering her pleas with pain. Her not believing that he could be doing this. And his justified, faultless brutality. So much better described by some of you... But it makes me ineffably sad.

Yeah she must've walked down otherwise the slippers would've fallen off her feet sooner.

This must be what the family is basing their kidnap claim on. Terribly sad for Charli to have been put through all this pain. Jail is too good for SC.

Well, we know Charli didn't wear 30/32 jeans.

Maybe the juror was thinking that SC may have had a female accomplice. I don't think we've ever considered that. Maybe s/he just wanted some indication that the jeans could have been SC's. Or maybe it was the brand names of the jeans. I usually think of DKNY making women's clothes. I checked. They make men's jeans, too.

Maybe the juror was thinking that SC may have had a female accomplice. I don't think we've ever considered that. Maybe s/he just wanted some indication that the jeans could have been SC's. Or maybe it was the brand names of the jeans. I usually think of DKNY making women's clothes. I checked. They make men's jeans, too.

I wonder if the cut is the same? Wasn't Perry Ellis the other brand?
I, too, thought of a female accomplice.....briefly.

Maybe the juror was thinking that SC may have had a female accomplice. I don't think we've ever considered that..

Well We can rule out Cass as she was in lovely Penn. However I wouldnt put it past her if she was here and inspired/
conspired with him via Skype? She seemed pretty naive.

Well We can rule out Cass as she was in lovely Penn. However I wouldnt put it past her if she was here and inspired/
conspired with him via Skype? She seemed pretty naive.

I don't think naivety is a common conduit to sadistic murder, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ResortedOnce