GUILTY HI - Carly Joann 'Charli' Scott, 27, pregnant, Makawao, 9 Feb 2014 - #7

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Thanks, Puakenikeni, for sharing your thoughts! You bring up good points. I wasn't aware that SC is being charged with attempting to deal those drugs in prison. My assumption was that the aunt had brought him those drugs for his own recreational use/relief, and on that assumption, I personally don't think the aunt would bring him meth to use had he not already been familiar with taking the drug...unless it was under the precept of "If anyone's picking on you in there, just try a bit of this, it'll help you fight anyone off, and no one will mess with you after that."

I agree, he looks too healthy to be a major tweaker. And yet, this crime is just so brutal...being familiar with similar assaults and murders in the area, meth is very often a component, and the details of this case to me had METH written all over them. The only thing that kept me from going there sooner was his healthy appearance. But when I saw that his aunt had brought him meth in prison, something clicked inside of me. I would bet money that he was under the influence of crystal meth at some point during the committing of the crime. Far from certain of course...but I would bet that he was.

About SC placing Charli's dismembered remains into the stream, it is certainly possible, although the rolls of tape at the side of the stream point more toward sealing up in a bag or whatnot to me. Also, even if the body was hacked into small bits (I'm sorry, everyone, I really don't like referring to this aspect of Charli's fate...), that is a lot of remains to dump into that stream. The dog only snorkeled at that one spot, whereas if her remains were floating down the stream in a torrent, some of them would undoubtedly touch branches, fall to the bottom, get snagged, etc. And yet, the dog did not detect remains anywhere else - only at that one spot where he snorkelled AFAIK. So for these reasons, I would be disinclined to believe he deposited her remains in the stream. It's all so speculative, we will likely never know the minutiae of how he committed the crime.

Finally, I just want to say that I found all the speeches so moving. I watched the whole thing. I found Kimberlyn's to be the most powerful, although she was speaking so quietly it was hard to hear sometimes. It almost felt like she was chanelling - I found it deeply moving.
I understand that the family is completely focused on finding Charli's remains and that it was a concerted effort for everyone to keep asking Steven "Where is she, Steven?" But I don't think that is going to work - especially when everyone keeps telling him what a piece of **** he is. I think if they want him to spill the beans, they need to start thinking more along the lines of a trade-off:
What can I give him to get him to reveal what happened?"

IMO, it's the only strategy that *might* work. But I doubt that anything will work. :-(

Moxie, it could certainly be that meth was a way to fuel himself for violence. It does erase morality and conscience in the moment. But his lack of conscience appears to be something he did own and continues to own without needing help.

He was a dealer on the outside, and dealing on the inside is a way to get respect, favors, and comfort items. However, he'd better be careful not to step into someone's territory. He's lucky maybe that they were caught.

As far as the tape goes, I had thought before that tape was used to hold the blanket together temporarily. If he did use a bag, then I think he must have put it in his truck. It's extremely difficult if not impossible to dig a hole in that type of jungle, as underneath the surface is a tangle of tough roots. Of course I have not tried in that exact area, but I have had property very similar and I am into gardening. It works better to cover something up and let the fast growing jungle hide it. Whole cars disappear in time. But they don't smell bad and people aren't looking for them.

My theory is based on him improvising after his original plan did the work.
Well, I will post this much because the page keeps reloading and the auto-save loses my conclusion every time.

Oops auto-correct fail. Should be that his original plan did not work.

My original perspective on this case was based on him being reasonably intelligent, not wanting to get caught, planning to commit the crime in advance, and therefore planning to dispose of evidence.

I was stumped by all the evidence that was uncovered, carelessly dropped or stashed, but not securely hidden. Nothing was found buried, for example.

Even stranger, there was a burned vehicle, yet evidence was not all burned.

Plus, his alibi story was poor, in concept. But then he never even bothered to hide his truck when it was supposed to not be running, or to park it out there. The story was a mess.

But yet, they could not find their full remains, and that seemed to support he had had some sort of plan, perhaps even a clever plan. It just did not all come together ...

(will finish in a bit, posting in increments)

Who cares what drugs he uses. My opinion he would deal the meth who cares. Don't care what he took to get through doing unthinkable.
GUILTY. HEINOUS.
The aunt face charges on what she got caught for.
If he had help there;s differnt t ways to help and could be more than couple that match the description ACCESSORY. Have the rest of their lives to watch their backs.

What the maui news fails to report was Apo's verbally abusive reaction to Robert's saying, “I spit on you,” when Apo replied definitely and tauntingly to Charli's father, "Do it".

I can only imagine the amount of self-control Mr. Scott required today. Bless this sweet family.

Oh no he didn't!!
How in the world did this scum sucking, good for nothing, waste of space loser , manage to get LifeWithThePossibiltyOfParole?

Oh and when I read he was caught with contraband I knew it was one to buy more time at MCCC and two he was trying to build some cred with the gp. Being in pc is harder than being in gp because you're alienated from everyone else and seen as a sissy. In his mind, the longer he stays caught up in litigation on Maui the better. He's not ready for the big transfer.

Hi Puakenikeni -

I agree with you that Steven seems quite lazy so he'd perceive it as being most convenient to just put the remains into the stream. But if a whole person's dismembered remains were dumped in a stream and had to float 500+ feet to the ocean, some parts would get snagged or trapped between rocks, and the dogs would've alerted to a lot more smells in that streambed IMO. But I agree with you that it sounds characteristic of him to just get rid of them in the nearby high-running stream...

ITA that burial in that jungle is out of the question. The tangle of roots are all over, and they're thick, woody roots. It would be impossible to dig a big whole for a body out there, although I suppose he could have buried her somewhere else. But I feel that her remains are likely in the ocean, probably removed from Nua'ailua, and then dumped off a height into the ocean. (I'm still confounded by the clump of Charli's hair found caught on a fence at Hana Ranch...How did it get there? Nua'ailua is a long way from Hana, it certainly didn't just blow there from the crime scene.)

Because there was no blood found on the blanket - but it was infused with the smell of rot - I would think the blanket was draped over the remains, coinciding with the break in fly-egg-laying, and I don't think he'd have used masking tape to keep the draped blanket in place when there are so many rocks around to weigh down the edges, which seems much more intuitive to keep a blanket in place in a moist jungle. In my mind, he draped the blanket over the intact body, and then later used the blanket to drag the intact body down to the streambed where she was dismembered [to facilitate removal], and that's when the maggots got transfered onto the blanket. This dragging down to the streambed is also when the fingernails came off in an east-west line due to skin slippage IMO.

In the streambed is where I hypothesized he did the dismemberment days after the murder, which would be the spot where the dog Pohaku snorkeled in the water when the water was running higher. And the presence of the rolls of tape at the edge of the streambed suggests to me that it was used at that same time for sealing the remains in some container. He did the dismembering only to facilitate removal of the remains from the site, and this removal process was not part of the original plan at all - it was only done in response to Kyle Knight's continually drawing attention to the smell emanating from that area. He removed the remains just in time to avoid Phaedra, Molly, and Max discovering the remains the next day. Maybe fate was merciful in this regard: if Phaedra had stumbled upon Charli's actual rotting remains, it might have just been too much.

Just my own take on what happened...

Oh no he didn't!!
How in the world did this scum sucking, good for nothing, waste of space loser , manage to get LifeWithThePossibiltyOfParole?

Yes, the bloodsucker did provoke Charli's father into spitting on him. Her father's body language was obvious from the get go, imho, and he was angrier than a bull running the streets of Spain. He stood back from the lectern. He also spoke the harshest of the victims even going as far as telling the Judge he didn't always do the right thing and it made him angry, or words to that effect.

Then, her father turned to the killer and said I want to spit on you. Then, he turned further around and told his attorney the same thing. Thankfully, the Judge had ordered her father from the courtroom so he was with guards when the defense attorney challenged him verbally to "Do it".

It is interesting to note that if you watch the news videos or read the articles about the sentencing, they edit out his remarks. Isn't that special?

Yes, the bloodsucker did provoke Charli's father into spitting on him. Her father's body language was obvious from the get go, imho, and he was angrier than a bull running the streets of Spain. He stood back from the lectern. He also spoke the harshest of the victims even going as far as telling the Judge he didn't always do the right thing and it made him angry, or words to that effect.

Then, her father turned to the killer and said I want to spit on you. Then, he turned further around and told his attorney the same thing. Thankfully, the Judge had ordered her father from the courtroom so he was with guards when the defense attorney challenged him verbally to "Do it".

It is interesting to note that if you watch the news videos or read the articles about the sentencing, they edit out his remarks. Isn't that special?

DeDee, thank you for replying with such good info. I know SC will probably never see the light of day again but I was praying for LWOP because Hawaii doesn't have the DP and this is the next best sentence.
If able, I would bet SC will not make any new bff's and prison justice will hopefully team with Karma and do away with this scum, the sooner the better.
I feel so bad for Charli's family especially her parents and I so wish he would have been able to sock it to this .
Oh, thank you to the wonderful, honest and hard working media, NOT!
I nary a clue what has happened to journalists and I cannot believe I once wanted to be one myself.
(I'm not speaking for all journalists, just the crap, lying journalists who conveniently leave out some the most important facts)

Meth charges. Surprise, surprise. Pot and papers sound like a bit of self indulgence. SC knew who would cop it for him.

Don't let the organic gardening fool anyone. SC was not a naturally good man. Someone along the way abused him badly or he was born with the bad seed. He is an agnostic who acts as his own God.

Sociopathic killer that I watched in court did not show an iota of emotion, even during the powerful victim impact statements. How could he remain so nonchalant when losing his freedom?

RunDaSurf, some of the victim impact statements did contain hints that the family and friends are still digging around for the truth of their loved ones, Charli and Joshua. They implied that if SC had accomplices, they would find them. I pray they do if there are more than SC involved but it's my opinion that he was equipped to do this alone.

Returning to the scene of the crime is not unusual for sadistic killers. A return to the scene to move the body is rare. Such risky behavior but SC performed on the fringes of life. I shall not enumerate the possibilities of disposal. I am reminded of Caylee Anthony being IDed from her tiny skull with a piece of duct tape attached. Without Charli's jawbone, and that cut in the tree with strands of her hair, this killer may have walked.

No, the pesky arson would have told on him. Why did he need to burn her car?

Her sister is a hero. Ms Kim did a fantastic job. Her eyes were pleading for him to tell her about Charli. Yes, channeling is a great way to describe her attitude. I wore my fancy headset so I could hear her faintly tell SC that she felt deeply betrayed. Charli got her cheerful and generous nature from her lovely Mother.

Her spoken softly words held impactful statements. I admire Ms Kim for being a lady and not displaying bitterness and hostility. Charli's father did that quite well. And he had every right to do it. Even he managed to control his temper by refraining from spitting on the defense attorney once challenged to do so.

Oh and when I read he was caught with contraband I knew it was one to buy more time at MCCC and two he was trying to build some cred with the gp. Being in pc is harder than being in gp because you're alienated from everyone else and seen as a sissy. In his mind, the longer he stays caught up in litigation on Maui the better. He's not ready for the big transfer.

That makes perfect sense, Nikki, I'm sure you are right! He never wanted to leave Maui.

He could have joined his girlfriend Cassie in Pennsylvania instead of ... all of this. What a tragedy for all involved.

Capobianco faces contraband charge

Capobianco, 27, was arraigned Wednesday in 2nd Circuit Court on the charge of second-degree promoting prison contraband.

The charge alleges Capobianco possessed the “clear glass cylindrical tube containing residue, with a tiny hole on the side and with a toothpaste cap attached to the end of the tube” Aug. 3.

http://www.mauinews.com/news/local-news/2017/05/capobianco-faces-contraband-charge/

Capobianco enters no-contest pleas

The Maui News

WAILUKU — Convicted murderer Steven Capobianco pleaded no contest Tuesday to five criminal charges in a plea deal wrapping up his remaining cases.

The plea agreement recommends that Capobianco be sentenced to five-year prison terms, to be served at the same time as each other and at the same time as the prison terms he is serving in the murder case.

“The court is not making any promises or commitments to you,” 2nd Circuit Judge Peter Cahill told Capobianco while reviewing the plea agreement with him in court Tuesday.

But Cahill said he would consider the plea agreement when he sentences Capobianco on Aug. 8.

http://www.mauinews.com/news/local-news/2017/05/capobianco-enters-no-contest-pleas/

Capobianco agrees to pay restitution

WAILUKU — Convicted murderer Steven Capobianco agreed Tuesday to pay $2,699 to resolve a restitution claim in his murder case.

The money would go to the mother of Capobianco’s pregnant ex-girlfriend Carly “Charli” Scott, said 2nd Circuit Judge Joseph Cardoza.

http://www.mauinews.com/news/local-news/2017/05/countyin-brief-72/

More at link

I hadn't checked on SC for awhile and thought I would today. Look like he has been busy with the court system. Disappointed that he didn't get much of a sentence for those 5 charges.

Guess we should keep an eye on the appeal process, which could take awhile.

Hope everyone is doing well and having a good summer so far!

Capobianco faces contraband charge

Capobianco, 27, was arraigned Wednesday in 2nd Circuit Court on the charge of second-degree promoting prison contraband.

The charge alleges Capobianco possessed the “clear glass cylindrical tube containing residue, with a tiny hole on the side and with a toothpaste cap attached to the end of the tube” Aug. 3.

http://www.mauinews.com/news/local-news/2017/05/capobianco-faces-contraband-charge/

Inmate has been enjoying his 'meth pipe' I see, until it was taken away.
He probably has another one now, until that one is taken away.
I read he also had rolling papers. If the papers are for pot they are really not needed, it's easy to turn an apple into a pipe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Judge rescinds order prohibiting attempts to reach out to Capobianco

WAILUKU — At the prosecution’s request, a judge Monday rescinded an order that prohibited convicted murderer Steven Capobianco from having contact with his ex-girlfriend’s mother.

While objecting to the change, defense attorney Jon Apo said Capobianco wouldn’t have contact with Kimberlyn Scott anyway.

“Regardless of the court’s ruling . . . the result’s not going to change,” Apo said. “He’s not going to have contact.”

http://www.mauinews.com/news/local-...hibiting-attempts-to-reach-out-to-capobianco/

I pray SC gives Kimberlyn Scott her answers!

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
noizewarr
Back