GUILTY HI - Carly Joann 'Charli' Scott, 27, pregnant, Makawao, 9 Feb 2014 - #7

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Scott’s dad, Robert said he is relying on the courts, the judge and the system to provide justice. “We’re not supposed to want vengeance, but I do,” said Robert Scott. “We demand justice. We agree with the jury that this was heinous,” said Scott’s dad who demanded that life in prison without parole “applies and sticks.”

He continued saying, “If retribution is not received I will do it myself.” Then he concluded saying, “I spit on you,” at which point he was ordered removed from the courtroom.

What the maui news fails to report was Apo's verbally abusive reaction to Robert's saying, “I spit on you,” when Apo replied definitely and tauntingly to Charli's father, "Do it".

I can only imagine the amount of self-control Mr. Scott required today. Bless this sweet family.

I would wholeheartedly say to anyone who has followed to listen to the whole proceedings today. Parts were deeply satisfying to me.

Steven was thoroughly analyzed and told off by the judge, Rivera, and Charli's family.

No one from his his family appeared to speak for him.
Apo got to say very little, although still too much.

Charli's father was angry and told Apo he wanted to spit on him, which got Scott thrown out, but worth it.

Adam Gaines presented a fantastic statement, all the more powerful because he was one of Steven's very closest friends. It is a must listen.

Phaedra did not speak, but her letter was partly read by Rivera and extremely moving.

Charli's paternal aunt from CA was super strong and really laid into Steven well.

Fiona began and was moving but almost too emotional to speak, as was Shae Pipkin.

Johnny Pipkin gave a strong and rational statement.

Brittney Baker ? (Friend) gave a terrific testimonial to the loss suffered by all friends of Charli, and spoke of how she is traumatized because she had been friends with Steven and now trusts no one.

Sadly, I really could not hear Brooke or Kim for much of their rather short speeches, but Kim's closing was more audible and very strong. Both she and Adam shed light on why the family and Charli had given Steven so many chances, even though he had always had a "darkness" inside him.

Another sister gave a very pointed and gut-wrenching lecture to Steven about the acts of killing and the gruesome dismembering of his child.

It was all very powerful and I was in tears.

Apo makes me sick. What type of human being makes this day harder for the parent.

Is there a link Pua?
I dont feel any closure at all.

I hadn't seen the Maui Now account when I wrote my overview of what happened. They covered it well.

They didn't mention that after Cardoza said he had to go with life sentence with possibility of parole, and could not find for the enhanced sentencing, that he would recommend to the Hawaii Parole Board a MINIMUM of 70 years.

And then he slapped on the ten years max arson, ten years recommmended minimum, to be served CONSECUTIVELY.

So if the parole board follows the judge, Steven will not come up for parole for 67 years (3 years time served), and then even if he got parole, he'd start serving the arson charge. So 77 years to go ...

GO CARDOZA

The defense team has petitioned to withdraw from the case. Looks like the appeal they announced won't be handled by them. Then Cardoza said they have to do the minimum sentence hearing in early May, because they know the case the best. Good, they get to hear from the family again.

Kim made pointed remarks alluding to prison shower rape and violence that Steven needs to worry about when he goes to prison, and I think it was Adam who talked to him about the horrors of real prison that won't be cushy like Maui Correctional.

Both have given up on him feeling remorse, ever. They rightly focused on how Steven's only concern is harm that may come to himself. One of the sisters or friends did mention he would never get to see and touch his beloved dog again.
Kim and Adam also warned him that if he had an accomplice, and he thinks that person is safe now, that he's wrong, and they will never rest until it's ALL found out and brought to justice.

And he has to pay for the Forerunner and any other of Charli's things he destroyed, but the computer is a maybe, and they are arguing over the vehicle value. Plus a restitution penalty fee of about 3K and change. Peanuts, but maybe it will cover some of the family travel expenses, if he ever pays.

Apo makes me sick. What type of human being makes this day harder for the parent.

Only someone who matches SC in his psychopathy/sociopathy. Apo's coldness and cruelty is in lockstep with Charli and Joshua's butcher. He is truly a degraded, despicable defense attorney masquerading as a human.

Well said, MM. Robert Scott said that one attorney sort of apologized to him one day in the hall, saying it was just his job and nothing personal. I'm guessing that was Nardi.

Well said, MM. Robert Scott said that one attorney sort of apologized to him one day in the hall, saying it was just his job and nothing personal. I'm guessing that was Nardi.

Interesting. How can anyone who has a glimmer of humanity about them stand to spend so much time around Apo? I find him so repulsive.
Did you see the picture of SC's Aunt Susan in Maui News? What a "rode hard and put up wet" beastly looking thing.
I think a part of my heart will stay forever with the Scott family.

I apologize for raising this old issue, of where she might be, but I had an image pop into my head after hearing yesterday's proceedings, specifically what Cardoza said.

I think maybe it was as "simple" as him putting her into the stream (which has been said before) to be washed away.

I think she was not found because the evil *advertiser censored* dismembered her into small enough pieces to easily wash downstream and into the ocean.

I hate that because it means there would be no remains to recover after three years. And he would know that he has nothing to offer, nowhere to lead them.

We know that some very small bone fragments were found. Cardoza said that the tree slice evidenced a heavy cutting tool and that it went deep into the tree and embedded her red hair in the cut, which has to mean that her hair was stuck on the blade.

Cardoza also said that Steven had every reason to think no one would find that spot in so much territory. That it was only found because of Phaedra and the phone ping. He therefore may not have thought he had to hide her.

This makes me think that his original plan did not include moving her or burying her. He was going to let the jungle and its critters do the work. Thinking like a gardener perhaps, as he was one, most likely a composter too as that's central to organic gardening.

He leaves her in that jungle spot, exposed. Maybe he did something to her jaw, in his rage or anger at her "mouth." That damage was done right around the time she died. Maybe he took out her mandible in some fit of pure evil and dropped it in the darkness.

He didn't spend much time, and drove on to Hana, dumping Nala, getting back to burn the car -- before his Skype, make a drug deal.

Then Tuesday at dusk he saw of all things that Phaedra and Brooke were checking out the road he thought was so secret, and he drove back late after Adam took off to get Nala from Nahiku, and wrapped her in the blanket and maybe some other coverage.

But then the smell still wafted all the way to the highway on day 3, Wednesday. His friend Kyle smelled it. So he had to act more extremely, and went back with a strong machete or other cutting tool. He hacked her into small pieces and put her back in her own blanket and dragged it to the stream. He upended the blanket and dunked it in the water maybe, and hung it up, and left it and the clothes and tape rolls.

The snorkeling dog alerted to something under the water, but three days later, it didn't visually pop out as something recognizable because it was small.

As disgusting and horrible as this was, it would be less risky than weighting down a body in the ocean near the shoreline or setting it adrift where currents could push it in.

It makes sense to me because Steven is lazy and not muscular, and she weighed as much or more than he did at that point in time. The problem he was having related to the decomp smell broadcasting, and the stream would take care of that. And people were searching for a body, not
pieces, at least not until the police figured it out a couple days later.

Cardoza said he should have burned the jeans in the Forerunner. Well, but he burned the truck on Sunday and probably disposed of her on Wednesday, so that option was gone for what he wore that night. Maybe he freaked and wanted the bloody jeans out of the car as he drove home.

And then he washed his truck with bleach the next morning.
Just a hypothesis-one that involves him being there when he was known to be there, without a lot of prep, and which does not involve him driving with her deceased or any more risk like that.

I think now, because the family seems to think so, that he actually did lure her with the broken down truck story that he cobbled out of his experience with Taylor. Which means that he didn't have a tied up or dead or injured Charli in his truck all that way, or an angry Nala. And maybe she drove. Maybe she did want a shi shi break and he had her turn onto the dirt road. Maybe he charmed her with talk about baby names on the way and disarmed her.

It is all much simpler if he never made a violent move until they parked and she got out, because of Nala. And then he could blitz her before she figured out why they were there and his truck was not.

I think he forced her to walk from there, down the road and then into the jungle. Her car was seen in Hana and not noted as all muddy, so perhaps she only drove a short way in, as far as Max went maybe, or her sisters. Because going too far in would raise the alarm.

Rest in any peace you can find, Charli and Joshua.
Comments and contradictions welcome.

MM, thanks for alerting me. I had not looked at Maui News. Wow, those eyes. Looks like a lot of "ice" flowed under that bridge. So she was arrested Thursday and arraigned Friday and is in jail until she makes 100K bail. I can see why she did not speak for him.

Unreal that he was arraigned on drug charges the same day as his sentencing hearing. Maybe that's why they sat around without him in the room for one period of time. I guess he's got nothing to lose at this point and the drugs are his only solace. Glad they caught her.
http://www.mauinews.com/news/local-news/2017/03/capobianco-aunt-arrested-for-contraband/

I really appreciate your analysis of the murders, Pua.

Your scenario and analysis of Charli and Joshua's deaths seems very possible/probable. I have forgotten too many details to do a thorough summary as you did here. I don't remember how close the spot was to the ocean or what the weather was like afterwards. I imagine it was rainy enough to flush their remains into the ocean.
It's all too sordid, senseless and tragic for me to "go there" anymore. I just hope the Scott family is able to occasionally, at least, lift their heads to catch some long breaths of fresh, clean air as they reconfigure their lives. This has been so very depressing.

The aunt looks very rough and I can totally see the resemblance to Steven, especially in the cold, sanpaku eyes. If Steven had an accomplice, no need to look any further than this woman IMO.

Did anyone catch this in the article:

"The contraband, which was wrapped in black tape, included methamphetamine, marijuana, marijuana concentrate and cigarettes or rolling papers, according to the indictment..."

For me, this was an "aha moment." Finally, confirmation that Steven was into crystal meth. This drug is the scourge of the islands and is a key component in so much of the inexplicably violent behavior in Hawaii. Steven's persona as the hippy-ish, eco-baker of Mana Foods who just smoked/sold pot and maybe pills or LSD or whatever, was concealing the fact that he was into a lot worse drugs. I didn't know if it was true and I always doubted it because he had such nice skin. But to have confirmation that he is indeed into meth.... I never really understood HOW he could do something like this - so gory, so brutal, so totally wrong. But now a piece of the puzzle has fallen into place, and it makes significantly more sense to me. I have little doubt now that this is a crime that was driven by meth, like so many other unbelievably brutal crimes. The description of Steven's face as he drove through Hana as wild-eyed....It's all making more sense to me now.

The aunt looks very rough and I can totally see the resemblance to Steven, especially in the cold, sanpaku eyes. If Steven had an accomplice, no need to look any further than this woman IMO.

Did anyone catch this in the article:

"The contraband, which was wrapped in black tape, included methamphetamine, marijuana, marijuana concentrate and cigarettes or rolling papers, according to the indictment..."

For me, this was an "aha moment." Finally, confirmation that Steven was into crystal meth. This drug is the scourge of the islands and is a key component in so much of the inexplicably violent behavior in Hawaii. Steven's persona as the hippy-ish, eco-baker of Mana Foods who just smoked/sold pot and maybe pills or LSD or whatever, was concealing the fact that he was into a lot worse drugs. I didn't know if it was true and I always doubted it because he had such nice skin. But to have confirmation that he is indeed into meth.... I never really understood HOW he could do something like this - so gory, so brutal, so totally wrong. But now a piece of the puzzle has fallen into place, and it makes significantly more sense to me. I have little doubt now that this is a crime that was driven by meth, like so many other unbelievably brutal crimes. The description of Steven's face as he drove through Hana as wild-eyed....It's all making more sense to me now.
It caught my eye for sure.

I agree in part and in part not. We can't be sure he is not just now picking up this habit as the jailhouse way to live, and/or it may have been to sell, as he was charged with attempting to deal.

I would bet bet that he is not a crack addict as in regular and habitual. Living in Hawaii for this long I have seen all too much how ice makes people look. His aunt has the look. His mother was addicted to something. He and his cousin do not. And crack addicts are rarely obsessed with eating organic as the whole my body is my temple is out the window. His teeth are too good as well.

I agree he might have used it to get the terrible deed done, and that would also account for some of his mistakes, like forgetting damning evidence. But there was no description of him as wild-eyed from the witness in Hana. She more said his expression was indescribable and it stopped her from waving or calling, IIRC. I remember her testimony was lacking in specific details and focused on the scare it gave her, that he looked unlike his normal self.

Taylor also said he was irritated and such when she met him later.
It is hard to say though, because murdering your own child and ex-GF in the jungle at night could create a very strange mood all by itself.

The people at the hearing who knew him, all said he had been damaged and full of darkness for a long time. They mentioned his mother's vices, but not ice with him. They said he blamed his mother and her lack of love for how he was, and they bought it. They thought they could heal him: Adam, Charli.

I really appreciate your analysis of the murders, Pua.

Your scenario and analysis of Charli and Joshua's deaths seems very possible/probable. I have forgotten too many details to do a thorough summary as you did here. I don't remember how close the spot was to the ocean or what the weather was like afterwards. I imagine it was rainy enough to flush their remains into the ocean.
It's all too sordid, senseless and tragic for me to "go there" anymore. I just hope the Scott family is able to occasionally, at least, lift their heads to catch some long breaths of fresh, clean air as they reconfigure their lives. This has been so very depressing.
Thanks for the response, MM :). I wanted to write down what I saw in a flash of apparent simplicity before it turned muddy again. I had not thought about all the evidence and theories for a few months, so my mind was in a somewhat blank slate mode as I listened to the judge talk about his summary of what Steven did.

And I just saw that stream in my mind, that spot with the blanket and clothes, and remembered the cadaver dog only alerted at two places: the tree where the cutting marks and maggots were found, and that spot on the stream. And the dog even went into the water to follow the smell, even though water is so good at neutralizing odor.

I tried to make a narrative that didn't ignore any pieces like that, and didn't add very much, just stuck to the track of where physical evidence was found. But I did not review the covering and uncovering timeline and that could need adjusting.

As for the location of the spot, it was a fair hike to the ocean and to the highway, sort of in the middle. Taking her to either extreme would have taken more effort and created more risk, especially if he loaded her into his truck. He may have done so, but I would think that instincts would make him seek cover and not exposure. We know he went from the sapling tree to the stream. There's no track or trace of evidence either direction from there.

The streams are fed by rains up the mountain where the rain is much heavier. It doesn't matter whether the Paraquat's area got rain if there was rain higher up, because that rain will send a big whoosh of water like a flush. Like those items they found embedded in the mud, probably washed down rather than from hikers in that desolate area.

I've lived on stream properties twice, for nine years, and I've heard many many times how the water comes through carrying branches and rocks and dead animals and pushing them into the ocean or to a point where they get lodged and stuck. It would be important to remove all clothing and to make small unrecognizable pieces, and those wouldn't get stuck, and they wouldn't keep integrity very long at all like big pieces would.

A couple of speakers at the hearing offered very graphic images of dismemberment to Steven. I would not write this if I didn't see that they have all grappled with what happened and no sugar-coating the horror. It is not something I ever mention or think of without being in touch with the horror that was done one way or the other, but certainly done in some vile way.

As you said, it is not. Pleasant to go back down that path, and I don't expect you to. I couldn't help but think about it while listening to the judge.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back