GUILTY HI - Carly Joann 'Charli' Scott, 27, pregnant, Makawao, 9 Feb 2014 - #7

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I finally figured it out (At least in my head). The timeline of how SC got from JAWS back home in time to meet Whats her name to sell her dope never made sense let alone his lazy *advertiser censored* wouldnt have walked home so I assumed he had an accomplice. No.....Charli never went to his house. She met him at JAWS. Just down the street. Too far to walk but not out of the way to drive. She wasnt allowed at his house anyways. They left his truck there while they went to Hana. He came back. Torched it and got in his wheels and drove home.

Any update on Kim's quest for answers from him?

Families connected by tragedy create online resource to help others searching for loved ones

For the family of Moreira “Mo” Monsalve, another holiday season means another year without answers.

The Maui woman was last seen on Jan. 12, 2014 leaving her ex-boyfriend’s house in Wailuku.

“Because Charli was in pieces, they can treat her like an object, not a human, and I’m sorry, but it’s been really hard for us to deal with,” Scott said.

But circumstances brought the two families together, and they are now working for victims’ rights to help others in similar situations.

“There is not a lot of victim help when somebody goes missing or something like this happens, and me and Kim have both gone on different paths that we’re helping people, but we still connect,” said Felicilda. “For me, the focus is finding our loved ones and helping other people find their love ones.”

http://khon2.com/2017/11/27/familie...urce-to-help-others-searching-for-loved-ones/

Nice to see Kim and Felicilda helping others.

Capobianco’s Aunt Sentenced in Maui Prison Contraband Case

Susan Capobianco, the aunt of convicted murderer Steven Capobianco, was sentenced to 18 months in jail and four years of probation on Tuesday.

Susan Capobianco, was indicted for an incident that occurred on February 19th, in which she was caught trying to pass contraband to her nephew, inmate Stephen Capobianco, who she was visiting at the Maui Community Correctional Center.

http://mauinow.com/2017/09/13/capobiancos-aunt-sentenced-in-maui-prison-contraband-case/

Aunt Susan has 15 conditions she has to adhere to listed in the article above.

This was posted today on Find Charli Scott by Kimberlyn Scott. The deadline for letters is April 16. I hope everyone who followed this tragic case will write something to keep this sick, sick monster in jail for as long as possible:

"So it appears that the Hawaii Paroling Authority Hearing to set a minimum term for the monster who murdered Charli and Joshua is on April 23rd for sure.

I am told that the public can write in to the HPA as well.

All letters must be delivered by April 16th via email to the HPA. I am giving you the email I trust will see them delivered-

Tommy.Johnson@Hawaii.gov

In the subject heading write- "Letter to HPA for Steven Capobianco hearing on April 23rd, 2018"

I am told that the opinions in these letters will be considered by the members of the HPA when they consider the minimum term "it" will serve before "it" can apply for parole. Which, since Hawaii has no truth in sentencing is kind of a moot point, but here we are, following the law and being proper citizens while our state keeps ignoring our rights and does not protect us.

I am told that since "it" had a high profile trial, it is unlikely he will be released anytime soon, if ever.

One can always hope yes?

My problem with that (and Yes, I do seem to have a Lot of problems with the criminal justice system, did you come late to the ongoing conversation?) is the fact that the law will only do its actual job if a lot of people are paying attention.

Nice that.

So, bottom line, if you wish to provide testimony that will aid in keeping a monster out of society, now would be a great time to put that in writing and send it off, otherwise, they might think we are not watching and then who knows????"

I wonder if family would be willing to make some sort of deal at this hearing if SC would divulge were they can find her remains?

This was posted today on Find Charli Scott by Kimberlyn Scott. The deadline for letters is April 16. I hope everyone who followed this tragic case will write something to keep this sick, sick monster in jail for as long as possible:

"So it appears that the Hawaii Paroling Authority Hearing to set a minimum term for the monster who murdered Charli and Joshua is on April 23rd for sure.

I am told that the public can write in to the HPA as well.

All letters must be delivered by April 16th via email to the HPA. I am giving you the email I trust will see them delivered-

Tommy.Johnson@Hawaii.gov

In the subject heading write- "Letter to HPA for Steven Capobianco hearing on April 23rd, 2018"

I am told that the opinions in these letters will be considered by the members of the HPA when they consider the minimum term "it" will serve before "it" can apply for parole. Which, since Hawaii has no truth in sentencing is kind of a moot point, but here we are, following the law and being proper citizens while our state keeps ignoring our rights and does not protect us.

I am told that since "it" had a high profile trial, it is unlikely he will be released anytime soon, if ever.

One can always hope yes?

My problem with that (and Yes, I do seem to have a Lot of problems with the criminal justice system, did you come late to the ongoing conversation?) is the fact that the law will only do its actual job if a lot of people are paying attention.

Nice that.

So, bottom line, if you wish to provide testimony that will aid in keeping a monster out of society, now would be a great time to put that in writing and send it off, otherwise, they might think we are not watching and then who knows????"

This is not saying that he is up for parole yet is he? He was sentenced to 80 yrs with the possibility of parole. I am confused?

In Hawaii, Murder is punishable by life imprisonment (with or without the possibility of parole).
SC was sentenced to life with the possibility of parole.

The judge recommended a minimum sentence of 70 years for the murder charge and an additional 10 years to run concurrently for the arson charge, for a total of 80 years in prison before he would be eligible for parole. The final decision, however, will be determined by the Hawaii Paroling Authority.

So, the Paroling Authority could adhere by the judges recommendation or set their own terms if they see fit, but based on the law. Typically they follow the judge recommendation. This is where family, friends and supporters can voice their opinions. I don't know if they can extend the sentence or if that was the maximum the judge could do. Usually violent offenders are not given any slack... but.... I have seen it happen.

This is why it is so important for the committee to hear what this man did from her loved ones and hear the outrage. They probably don't know the true intricate details of the case and while they must follow what the law allows them to do...Charli's voice shall still be heard!

In Hawaii, Murder is punishable by life imprisonment (with or without the possibility of parole).
SC was sentenced to life with the possibility of parole.

The judge recommended a minimum sentence of 70 years for the murder charge and an additional 10 years to run concurrently for the arson charge, for a total of 80 years in prison before he would be eligible for parole. The final decision, however, will be determined by the Hawaii Paroling Authority.

So, the Paroling Authority could adhere by the judges recommendation or set their own terms if they see fit, but based on the law. Typically they follow the judge recommendation. This is where family, friends and supporters can voice their opinions. I don't know if they can extend the sentence or if that was the maximum the judge could do. Usually violent offenders are not given any slack... but.... I have seen it happen.

This is why it is so important for the committee to hear what this man did from her loved ones and hear the outrage. They probably don't know the true intricate details of the case and while they must follow what the law allows them to do...Charli's voice shall still be heard!

So why are they setting a minimum term with the hearing on April 23rd if the sentence was already determined? :gaah:

So why are they setting a minimum term with the hearing on April 23rd if the sentence was already determined? :gaah:

Because the judge does not determine the sentence, he can only recommend the sentence. (Based on the law.)
The Hawaii Paroling Authority actually calls the shots and makes the final decision on the sentence.
This is my understanding.
States vary on the entire judicial process. Off the top of my head I don't know if this is unique to Hawaii.

I learned the hard way that in Maryland after the sentence has been set the defendant can appeal for what's called a reconsideration hearing. This is unique to Maryland. My Uncle's murderer was sentenced to life without parole and at the reconsideration hearing the judge changed the sentence to life with the possibility of parole. We were floored! Hence why I said above I've seen leniency before. : (

Because the judge does not determine the sentence, he can only recommend the sentence. (Based on the law.)
The Hawaii Paroling Authority actually calls the shots and makes the final decision on the sentence.
This is my understanding.
States vary on the entire judicial process. Off the top of my head I don't know if this is unique to Hawaii.

I learned the hard way that in Maryland after the sentence has been set the defendant can appeal for what's called a reconsideration hearing. This is unique to Maryland. My Uncle's murderer was sentenced to life without parole and at the reconsideration hearing the judge changed the sentence to life with the possibility of parole. We were floored! Hence why I said above I've seen leniency before. : (

This makes me sick then, what is the point of having laws that pre-determine the sentences for certain levels of crimes. When a parole board can change it.

I am so sorry for what happened with your uncles case Heartgoesout. That seems so unfair.

It makes me so angry that criminals have so much power over the victims even after they are murdered. jmo imo

: ) Thank you. And yes, the justice system can be frustrating and so very confusing. I hope no one is ever in the situation to deal with murder but if you are my advice is to ask lots of questions, have a specific notebook for the case, utilize your victims advocate through the court, ask questions about future proceedings, what can and can't happen, what appeals are there, basically you have to learn the law and quick. When it seems to be over it is not. It never goes away. There will still be hearings and official letters that pop up out of the blue.
And as Ms Kimberlyn is fighting for, victims rights. You must be your victims voice and fight for them.
The victim has less rights than the defendant or so it seems.

So if I am understanding correctly, the Hawaii Paroling Authority will determine how many years Capobianco must serve before being eligible for parole. I don't know what their guidelines are.
Maybe it is a good thing? A check and balance if you will?
A lenient judge could be overturned by the parole authority.

http://www.khon2.com/news/local-new...t-profile-murders_20180104063832197/901551055
"Steven Capobianco was sentenced by Judge Joseph Cardoza to life in prison with the possibility of parole, bringing to a close one of the most high-profile murder cases in the state."
"The judge recommended a minimum sentence of 70 years for the murder charge and an additional 10 years to run concurrently for the arson charge, for a total of 80 years in prison before he would be eligible for parole. The final decision, however, will be determined by the Hawaii Paroling Authority."

And to make it harder to swallow, the jury was overturned.

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/...ianco-sentenced-to-life-in-prison-with-parole

"Jurors decided Capobianco qualified for an enhanced penalty of life in prison without parole -- it's an option given to them to consider when crimes are determined to be especially heinous, atrocious and cruel.
Judge Cardoza told Capobianco that he agreed but felt the law did not allow him to hand down the stiffer sentence. He instead recommended 70 years before being eligible for parole. The parole board will decide the minimum amount of time he must serve before he can be released.

Not to get too off topic but I do think this can relate to Charli's family. The most recent letter was a request for our consent to allow media coverage on a prison project that my uncles murderer was participating in.
We never expected this and like I said it just never goes away. It's been 12 years.
No one tells you this sort of thing can happen and you're never quite prepared for the next thing.
I can see Charli's family receiving this type of correspondence in the future. Interviews, Dateline type shows, etc...
I share this not for sympathy but to be able to share the experiences so maybe someone else can be more aware than we were.

There should be no emotion in the parole boards decision. It is a decision based solely on the law. Correct? Don't they have guidelines/law they follow??

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back