Hotel Cecil Rooftop Access Discussion

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
<rsbm>

If it was a borrowed phone, she would have no way of knowing what was on it.

So, along those lines, who lent her the phone?

Right! Giant BBM. It was a "he"...

from Tumblr:

...#and it's not even mine #it's my friends old blackberry #that he's lending to me #and ughhh #well not lend #he doesn't want it anymore #but UGHHH #STUPID #caliblah

According to the timeline of her arriving in LA and her Tumblr timeline discussing the lost phone she lost the phone in San Diego

I imagine she never got it back, afterall she felt compelled to tell the world she lost her phone I imagine she'd be compelled to tell us she found it too if it had been returned to her

I'll also go out on a limb and say she borrowed a phone that was contracted to a US carrier service to avoid the excessive charges she'd run up if she used her Canadian based phone

edit:
You can make calls, send text messages and surf the internet from your mobile device while you are visiting the United States from Canada. However, roaming charges do apply when making phone calls from the US; fees for text messages are based on the plan you purchased. You will also be charged an extra fee billable per minute of usage when you access the internet via your mobile device.

Read more: Do Canadian Cell Phones Work in the United States? | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/about_6133587_do-phones-work-united-states_.html#ixzz2NXpOffUL

According to the timeline of her arriving in LA and her Tumblr timeline discussing the lost phone she lost the phone in San Diego

I imagine she never got it back, afterall she felt compelled to tell the world she lost her phone I imagine she'd be compelled to tell us she found it too if it had been returned to her

I'll also go out on a limb and say she borrowed a phone that was contracted to a US carrier service to avoid the excessive charges she'd run up if she used her Canadian based phone

edit:
You can make calls, send text messages and surf the internet from your mobile device while you are visiting the United States from Canada. However, roaming charges do apply when making phone calls from the US; fees for text messages are based on the plan you purchased. You will also be charged an extra fee billable per minute of usage when you access the internet via your mobile device.

Read more: Do Canadian Cell Phones Work in the United States? | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/about_6133587_do-phones-work-united-states_.html#ixzz2NXpOffUL

It's pretty common for Canadians who frequent the US to get a cheap US phone & pay-as-you-go type of plan, since Canadian phone rates in the US tend to be ridiculous, and US cell phone plans are so much cheaper than up here. Could be that her friend gave her an old one he didn't use anymore because he either didn't visit the US much anymore, or upgraded.

It's pretty common for Canadians who frequent the US to get a cheap US phone & pay-as-you-go type of plan, since Canadian phone rates in the US tend to be ridiculous, and US cell phone plans are so much cheaper than up here. Could be that her friend gave her an old one he didn't use anymore because he either didn't visit the US much anymore, or upgraded.

Thanks. Good info

Right! Giant BBM. It was a "he"...

from Tumblr:

...#and it's not even mine #it's my friends old blackberry #that he's lending to me #and ughhh #well not lend #he doesn't want it anymore #but UGHHH #STUPID #caliblah

I've been wondering how long she's known this particular "friend" and if he has any connections in LA.

"I have wondered about that too. I think the LAPD has been giving us clues that we haven't picked up on. For example, most have focused on hotel employees, but she took the train between San Diego and LA. Maybe it was someone she met on the train. I have just sensed that she was targeted and watched before she checked into the Cecil". This from post Conductor 71

I totally agree with this. San Diego, the train ride - we need to know more about her time in San Diego. I am interested in Toronto as well we have very little info.

Someone asked if I believe she was found in the water tank. Well of course, probably, on an earlier thread I suggested her parents ID her so that gives you some idea I am not 100% convinced of anything. Like others I don't see a crime scene investigation in the aerial footage of the roof could be wrong. I think they are going to go with misadventure. I wouldn't necessarily blame the police they can be told what to do as well. I didn't see her body removed from the tank nor from the hotel but I realize it probably was.

You mentioned RCMP or Interpol prompting LA police to act: that is possible - one of the things I find strange is that they would really bother about her - lots of people move on and leave their stuff - I did it once from the airport in Casablanca because there was a flight leaving I had gone there to change my flight left everything but my passport and ID- I even left money back at the hotel - I doubt they launched a search for me. There are lots of reasons people wouldn't go back to their hotel sudden relationship, sudden ride. No way LAPD has time for that sort of thing IMO could be wrong. Maybe post 9/11 they have a policy? Or as you suggest maybe RCMP or Interpol queried them - hence the video. But why that video? They must have lots of other video of Elisa. And something that shows her face much better.

Thanks everyone for the excellent information about phones and her use of phones.

Wondering if this woman had ever exited her home from the window in waking hours, or if sleepwalking triggers one to do mundane things (like going out a door) in a different or unusual way ...

"A mother-of-two who went missing after sleepwalking out of her kitchen window has been found - nine miles away.

Joy Grigg, 50, sparked a major police search after vanishing in the early hours of Wednesday morning.

Her husband Richard, 53, awoke to find his wife gone and the kitchen window wide open.

She was missing for nearly 24 hours until a member of the public found her in a hedge near Camelford, Cornwall, at 12.30am on Thursday.

Amazingly, it was the second time she has sleepwalked out of the family farm in Tregeare near Launceston, Cornwall, after wandering five miles away in January"

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-kitchen-window-miles-away.html#ixzz2NiDYFzYg
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Revise and think her body EVEN could have been taken up the ladders (as well as easily into the tank) with a North Face hockey bag or army duffel only by someone with stunt training, climbing experience, military experience. Cecil location is making of us think of a bunch of aging sex offenders, drug addicts thrash musicians - could be someone more than fit - in San Diego past July in pub/cafe one of group of young guys came over with pitcher of beer - I said no thanks - guy next to us, marine said the whole group were Navy Seals from the nearby base on Coronado. Elisa in SD post saying she wanted to get out of bed and do things next day - had contemplated whale watching at Coronado. First yelp review on Google says "very clean base". I realize San Diego is a lovely city but because of the base there has to be, there is, heavy surveillance around the bay and in the entertainment Gaslamp district.

[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naval_Base_Coronado"]Naval Base Coronado - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

Still agree by far the most likely thing in that junky hotel is the door to the roof - either staff with access or door left ajar.

Just to be clear just because we mention the military or C.H. group here doesn't mean anything conspirational or on "on directions from above" - could be just personal connection as suggested here, in a cafe, whatever. I mean if they wanted to buy me a pitcher of beer.........

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/27/us/27swastika.html?_r=0 interesting article on how the advent of google satellite and earth made the military spend money to change architectural element that was obviously unintentional - as with "clean base" and possibly the offer of beer shows they care about public relations.

Revise and think her body EVEN could have been taken up the ladders (as well as easily into the tank) with a North Face hockey bag or army duffel only by someone with stunt training, climbing experience, military experience. Cecil location is making of us think of a bunch of aging sex offenders, drug addicts thrash musicians - could be someone more than fit - in San Diego past July in pub/cafe one of group of young guys came over with pitcher of beer - I said no thanks - guy next to us, marine said the whole group were Navy Seals from the nearby base on Coronado. Elisa in SD post saying she wanted to get out of bed and do things next day - had contemplated whale watching at Coronado. First yelp review on Google says "very clean base". I realize San Diego is a lovely city but because of the base there has to be, there is, heavy surveillance around the bay and in the entertainment Gaslamp district.

Naval Base Coronado - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Still agree by far the most likely thing in that junky hotel is the door to the roof - either staff with access or door left ajar.

Just to be clear just because we mention the military or C.H. group here doesn't mean anything conspirational or on "on directions from above" - could be just personal connection as suggested here, in a cafe, whatever. I mean if they wanted to buy me a pitcher of beer.........

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/27/us/27swastika.html?_r=0 interesting article on how the advent of google satellite and earth made the military spend money to change architectural element that was obviously unintentional - as with "clean base" and possibly the offer of beer shows they care about public relations.

What was her weight again? 140-150 lbs or something around that? One doesn't need special stunt training or military training to move that weight up a ladder. A bit brain usage and one can pull up things on a tank with a rope. Or bind the arms with bandages together, no pressure marks and you can secure a body on your back. And if you have a duffel bag, okay, that makes things even easier.

What was her weight again? 140-150 lbs or something around that? One doesn't need special stunt training or military training to move that weight up a ladder. A bit brain usage and one can pull up things on a tank with a rope. Or bind the arms with bandages together, no pressure marks and you can secure a body on your back. And if you have a duffel bag, okay, that makes things even easier.

She was very petite 5' 4" and 115 lbs.

I have thought about former military residing at the Cecil. The duffle bag crossed my mind as well. Anyone can buy an army duffle/sea bag. You can pick one up at any Army/Navy store for $25-$30. Used one when I moved from the east coast to SF and it fit a lot of clothing in it. I wrote to AlphaWolf and requested he make a video. I guess I wasn't the only one to do this and he was kind enough to try out our theory and videotape it.

I thought he had posted the video on here but haven't seen it in any thread yet.

AlphaWolf, if you prefer this video not be posted , please send a PM and I'll remove it or request a mod remove the post. Thanks again to AlphaWolf for the video and his time.

I'm curious if it would have been possible to place the body in the duffle in the opposite direction ( head first). I think this would have made manuevering the bag a tad bit easier. Also, the bag I had was longer, closer to 4 ft in length if not more. Not sure what the dimensions of the dummy are as far as height and obviously there is limited flexibility with the dummy in comparison to a human.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRmRRnkcgF0&feature=youtu.be

I have thought about former military residing at the Cecil. The duffle bag crossed my mind as well. Anyone can buy an army duffle/sea bag. You can pick one up at any Army/Navy store for $25-$30. Used one when I moved from the east coast to SF and it fit a lot of clothing in it. I wrote to AlphaWolf and requested he make a video. I guess I wasn't the only one to do this and he was kind enough to try out our theory and videotape it.

I thought he had posted the video on here but haven't seen it in any thread yet.

AlphaWolf, if you prefer this video not be posted , please send a PM and I'll remove it or request a mod remove the post. Thanks again to AlphaWolf for the video and his time.

I'm curious if it would have been possible to place the body in the duffle in the opposite direction ( head first). I think this would have made manuevering the bag a tad bit easier. Also, the bag I had was longer, closer to 4 ft in length if not more. Not sure what the dimensions of the dummy are as far as height and obviously there is limited flexibility with the dummy in comparison to a human.

Thanks to AlphaWolf for making video and OCSlacker for posting it!
Imo, only with extra aids ie. rope, bag ect. might EL be carried up ladder.- even a very strong and trained man would find the task almost impossible whilst climbing that ladder. Maybe it was more than one person?
These days "rock climbing" is popular and sometimes enthusiasts practice on any high city surface.

Well, I would have used both straps and put her in head first, legs bound together. But then, I had in my long gone you military training, so I don't count, I guess.

Yet another more, hidden way to access the roof with only one flight of stairs?

Have you already discussed these roof access hatches? There are at least two shown in this video, and I assume there exists a third to complete the "E" for fire code.

I see this as being a really viable access point with the least likelihood of being seen. Did any of you see the post by someone who lives in the lofts near the Cecil? She said that there was a good view of the Cecil's roof top, and she was really surprised none of her neighbors witnessed anything. These hatches seem the least obtrusive and shortest way to the tanks. Perhaps this is why there was no alarm? The fire door was not used.

This person demonstrates how easy it is to access one.

What rooms have these entries and are they in closets?

http://youtu.be/W41i70AipHM

Attachments

• roof access hatch.jpg
    roof access hatch.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 8
What rooms have these entries and are they in closets?
<rsbm>

Interesting question. From the rooftop view, all roof hatches in all three arms of the E, appear to be down the hallways approx 1/3 of the total length. In looking at the one hallway of Floor 15 however, the lighting panels of the hallway don't appear to be interspersed with anything resembling an access. So, i think you are correct that any access would be from within rooms, and those rooms would be the first 3 doors closest to the elevators in each of those 3 hallways (effectively narrowing it down to 9 rooms in total)

Which brings me to skylights ... there are two large skylights visible on the rooftop, and apparently a very large attic space above Floor 15. That could mean that the the attic space is reasonably well illimunated. If the skylights are intended to illimunate Floor 15, I don't recall seeing anything resembling skylights in hallway pics of Floor 15, so it would seem that the skylights might also terminate inside rooms as opposed to hallways. Don't know if those skylights are at all accessible, but knowing The Cec, i would check into it ;)

It would seem that the skylights would be over the bank of rooms on either side of the elevators.

Attachments

• Cecil Hotel - floor 15 hallway.png
    Cecil Hotel - floor 15 hallway.png
    78.3 KB · Views: 9
  • Cecil Hotel - floor plan.gif
    Cecil Hotel - floor plan.gif
    156.9 KB · Views: 11
I have thought about former military residing at the Cecil. The duffle bag crossed my mind as well. Anyone can buy an army duffle/sea bag. You can pick one up at any Army/Navy store for $25-$30.

( snipped )

Thanks OC Slacker! ( ...thanks for posting the video..sorry I didn't post it earlier.)

- The dummy is very flexible....the problem is in the shoulder area, it would be a really tight fit to get inside the duffle bag.

- IMO a human body/shoulder area would be even harder because of the structure.

Well, I would have used both straps and put her in head first, legs bound together. But then, I had in my long gone you military training, so I don't count, I guess.

when I first put the dummy in the duffle bag...I thought the same thing!

then I tried to put it over both shoulders ( like a back pack) ....and it was really hard. I know 115 lbs doesn't seem like a lot of weight, but it was ( for me) trying to hoist it up on my shoulders.( I was only doing 90lbs)

The main problem was the dummy wanting to fall out.....It would have been really hard to fit the head and shoulder area in the bag ( as it was really tight and would not go all the way in the bag if I did it that way.)

I guess I tried the path of least resistance.

thanks for your input Peter...always enjoy reading your posts!

( snipped )

Thanks OC Slacker! ( ...thanks for posting the video..sorry I didn't post it earlier.)

- The dummy is very flexible....the problem is in the shoulder area, it would be a really tight fit to get inside the duffle bag.

- IMO a human body/shoulder area would be even harder because of the structure.

I noticed you measured the dummy in the video but couldn't really make out the dimensions of the bag. Any idea what they might be? I found the dimensions of my old duffle and it measures 30x50. I know they come in three different sizes, with the one I had being the largest. Just curious if the one used is the same or a different size. I keep thinking about when I was younger, a little smaller than EL, I could fit in the bag and only have about a foot of my body showing. I can see where the shoulders would be a problem but with a 30x50 bag I'm not really sure that it would be that tight of a fit. Btw, there is an army/navy store about 2-3 miles away and they do sell duffle bags for about $16. Not saying that this was definitely the case, just throwing out some ideas.

I must admit, if another person was involved, it would be much easier just to unscrew the plate that holds the battery and disarm the emergency push bar. Makes much more sense in my opinion

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kendybee
Back