Hurricane Gustav

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
The news we seem to be getting is all about New Orleans. What about other areas/cities that are in Gustav's nw path? Have people been evacuated on the same scale as NO?

Hunkered down in Baton Rouge and just waiting. A little rain, light wind and tornado warnings at the moment.

Justathought, are they opening shelters in your area? If not then you might take that as a hint, lol. I am not good on the location of the cities in La. But please take the storm seriously, you may only get one chance.

I just wanted to post this 3D doppler radar map for everyone. It's awesome and many of you might need UP TO THE SECOND weather information. This map provides real-time data, complete with wind speeds, local weather statistics, watches, warning, storm tracks, etc. And it's FREE. You don't even have to register to use it. It also refreshes itself automatically. You may have to play with the setting to get exactly what YOU want from it. It's pretty simple once you get the hang of it.

http://www.wunderground.com/wundermap/

I wanted to bring this one forward. It has several weather maps on the site and has radar of the area too.
http://www.wunderground.com/tropical/tracking/at200807.html

We were originally in Gustav's path. We're from Terrebonne Parish, right in the path of the storm. We hauled it though. I'm typing this from Arkansas. You can't see what we saw for Katrina and stay in the path of a storm like this with a right mind. We have family that stayed, though. All we can do is pray for those that chose to stay and hope that we have homes to come home to and that our family is safe.

Now see, that shows you are the brighter bulb in the family. You don't need a :crystal ball: to know what to do.

Prayers for your family.

The panhandle of FL is looking safe, some rain but we are missing the brunt of the storm. Anyone with electricity in LA or MS please check in, or anyone on AL beach.

The panhandle of FL is looking safe, some rain but we are missing the brunt of the storm. Anyone with electricity in LA or MS please check in, or anyone on AL beach.

It's looking like it is going west of the panhandle. But is there any chance of tornados in your area?

It's looking like it is going west of the panhandle. But is there any chance of tornados in your area?

From what I understand, the threat of tornados occur to the EAST of the storm.

We were originally in Gustav's path. We're from Terrebonne Parish, right in the path of the storm. We hauled it though. I'm typing this from Arkansas. You can't see what we saw for Katrina and stay in the path of a storm like this with a right mind. We have family that stayed, though. All we can do is pray for those that chose to stay and hope that we have homes to come home to and that our family is safe.

My niece left from that area, too but still some loved ones there. Prayers to all...

Thanks for the prayers for my family. I appreciate it more than you know.

Probably old news but new for me: DirectTV 361 has continuing coverage, including local, of the hurricane.

U.S. weather forecasters say Hurricane Gustav's outer edge is battering the U.S. Gulf coast as it nears New Orleans, Louisiana.

The deadly storm has winds of nearly of 185 kilometers per hour and is expected to make landfall by midday Monday.

Forecasters do not expect Gustav to grow stronger before hitting the Louisiana coast, and expect it to weaken once the center moves inland.

The National Hurricane Center says Gustav may dump up to half a meter of rain in some areas. The center also warns tides may be about four meters higher than normal.
http://voanews.com/english/2008-09-01-voa9.cfm

He is weakening which is good, but looks like he isn't going to fall apart too much.

On Monday morning, the National Hurricane Center said the storm was bringing heavy bands of rain as it approached New Orleans. A hurricane warning that was issued for east of the Mississippi-Alabama border to the Alabama-Florida border had been changed to a tropical storm warning. In its 5 a.m., EDT advisory, the NHC said the storm was about 115 miles south-southeast of New Orleans. The storm, moving at about 16 mph with maximum sustained winds of about 115 mph was moving northwest and was expected to cross the Louisiana coast by midday Monday.
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB122026058242587205.html?mod=googlenews_wsj

On Monday morning, the National Hurricane Center said the storm was bringing heavy bands of rain as it approached New Orleans. A hurricane warning that was issued for east of the Mississippi-Alabama border to the Alabama-Florida border had been changed to a tropical storm warning. In its 5 a.m., EDT advisory, the NHC said the storm was about 115 miles south-southeast of New Orleans. The storm, moving at about 16 mph with maximum sustained winds of about 115 mph was moving northwest and was expected to cross the Louisiana coast by midday Monday.
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB122026058242587205.html?mod=googlenews_wsj

KUDOS to the mayor - "all looters will be taken straight to the "Big House."

From what I can see, I believe the coastal areas to the west of New Orleans are more sparsely populated but, yes, I do believe they all have had a mandatory evacuation too - I believe the evacuation extends south of a certain area the whole ways over to Mobile towards the east - not sure about how far on the west.

'They have our prayers'
Ottawans who helped Katrina victims can now just watch and wait, writes Thulasi Srikanthan.

Only a few years ago, Lillian Arthur was busy preparing gift parcels for the youngest victims of Hurricane Katrina.

Today, she is watching with apprehension as another potentially deadly hurricane, Gustav, heads toward New Orleans.

"It's absolutely devastating to think of so many people, the children particularly, who were three years younger and now they are seeing it happen again and they must be wondering why," said Ms. Arthur from her Ottawa home.
http://www.canada.com/ottawacitizen/news/story.html?id=82ed75e4-c5a5-4588-a9e9-97de341bcee3

Will the levees hold?
Police and soldiers patrolled New Orleans' nearly empty streets as officials worried whether patched-up levees would withstand the storm.

Forecasters said Gustav would probably roar ashore south and west of New Orleans sometime this morning as a Category 3 storm, packing winds of at least 111 miles per hour. Hurricane warnings were posted from the Louisiana-Texas state line all the way to the Florida panhandle.

snip...Asked which levees stood the greatest chance of failing, Louisiana Lt. Gov. Mitch Landrieu said: "All of them."

http://www.startribune.com/nation/2...UoaEyqyP4O:DW3ckUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aUnciaec8O7EyUsX

This is what worries me. I had watched a documentary about Katrina some time ago and they mentioned that it was unknown whether the levees would hold up during another hurricane.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jasonax3
Back