Hurricane Ike and Topical Storm Hanna

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Supreme irony. Pic 50, a real estate office surrounded by water.

I saw that one, why didn't they either take them with them or turn them loose?

Did you see the waves breaking over the memorial for the victims of the hurricane in 1900? That one was moving too.

I wonder how much of the memorial will be left when this is over.

A moment of prayer and thanks for the safety workers who have worked long hours into the night to try to save people from themselves. Undoubtedly there are probably still some who stayed behind.

As Hurricane Ike rages ashore, the night sky here is filled with massive, swirling dark clouds that look as beautiful as they do evil.

The power has been out for about five hours as we "hunker down" in a hotel that offers few options. Leave the door open, and you let in the beast. Close it and you swelter.

The winds are truly whipping, the rain is slamming and the noise — you can feel throughout your body.

http://blogs.chron.com/hurricanes/2008/09/letting_the_beast_in.html

If you can fill your tub with water. You will likely have to boil it to drink or whatever but if you are in the path of the storm your water will likely be shut off due to the flooding and roads collapsing onto water pipes.
I know everyone feels like they can stick out a storm but truly, when it comes to no electricity or water for days it is very hard.

Picture #27 made me want to cry- dogs abandoned in their back yard. I hope they make it safely through the storm.
That REALLY makes me mad. I work in animal rescue & personally believe charges should be filed against people who leave helpless animals to fend for themselves in disaster situations! :furious:

The right whipping around and coming in on the backside of the eye is where it gets super super super bad... and that has yet to hit, from a doppler read out I just saw. This is one huge and wicked hurricane... :(

That REALLY makes me mad. I work in animal rescue & personally believe charges should be filed against people who leave helpless animals to fend for themselves in disaster situations! :furious:

When Katrina hit, we had quite a few animal groups head down to the area to try to rescue as many pets as they could. Quite a few of them went unclaimed and ended up getting adopted out up here. Speaking personally, you would have to kill me to make me leave mine behind...

When Katrina hit, we had quite a few animal groups head down to the area to try to rescue as many pets as they could. Quite a few of them went unclaimed and ended up getting adopted out up here. Speaking personally, you would have to kill me to make me leave mine behind...

You'd have to kill me too to leave mine behind, but and this is a big but lol. I have heard on the news many times to leave you animals untied and free from their pen so they have a chance at surviving but get yourself out. I have always taken my animals and had to sleep in my car due to it. If you let having a spot for your animals decide if you evacuate you could put your children in harms way.

I lived in Houston during Alicia, 6 mo's pregnant at the time.. People did not leave the inland parts and usually don't because while there may be flooding inland (which it can drop 10 inches of rain in Houston in 1 day and flood without a hurricane) overall Houston (not talking about Clear Lake, areas closer to Galveston, is pretty much safe as long as one stays inside, brings in things that can blow thru the air and stay away from windows. . The electricity does go out but fighting 5 million people heading north w/ no hotels open doesnt make it better.

Prayers to all in the path...God Bless hoping daylight brings better than maybe expected news :( Havent pulled up the websites yet, actually have been putting it off as not sure what to expect but reading Dark Knight's post makes me think it may have been as bad as anticipated....

Jim Cantorre on TWC just said aside from the little boy 10 yrs old that died with the tree falling on him there were 2 teen girls and a woman that are missing from a fire.

Ike has come ashore, it's as bad as predicted:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/ike

This was kind of sweet.

An evacuee from Calhoun County gave birth to a baby girl in the restroom of a shelter with the aid of an expert in geriatric psychiatry who delivered his first baby in two decades.

"It's kind of like riding a bike," Dr. Mark Burns told the New Braunfels Herald-Zeitung after he helped Ku Paw welcome her fourth child.

Ikelle, Iketta...

---------
amen!!!!

The right whipping around and coming in on the backside of the eye is where it gets super super super bad... and that has yet to hit, from a doppler read out I just saw. This is one huge and wicked hurricane... :(
---------------------

oh God please help all these people and their animals ~ it is so sad.luv ya all, nore

http://blogs.chron.com/sciguy/archives/2008/09/post_50.html

20,000 refused to evacuate Galveston. Now they can't get out because the roads are under water and emergency services are waiting out the storm. I have a very sad suspicion that this is going to be worse than Katrina.
I just don't understand why people don't evacuate! Hurricane parties? It's insane. Dont the homeowners hosting these parties have some liability if guests are killed or injured? The slideshow posted here is really disturbing. People on the beach treating this as a joke. They should all be charged with stupidity, if they are still with us.

Honestly I would hope that folks with children and pets would leave in advance of the storm.. they have no choice in the decision to stay or go but the adults who are in charge of them you would hope would do the right thing and leae and not put them at risk. If your an adult who wants to take the risk with your life fine .. but dont put the innocents at risk.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Backhand
Back