Hurricane Irma - #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
When I was at the meat counter at the market yesterday, a butcher who chats with me regularly asked if I was enjoying the lovely weather we've having in metro Detroit. After nearly two weeks of unseasonably chilly weather during which we actually had to turn on the furnace, we've been blessed this week with summerlike days and comfortable overnights. I told the butcher that it was difficult to dwell on our good fortune when so many are suffering in the wake of two significant hurricanes. He mentioned that his mother lives in Florida and has been told that she could be without power for up to three weeks. He suggested that she come to Michigan, and I said I hoped she would take advantage of her son's invitation.

My thoughts and prayers are with all members who have been affected by Harvey and Irma. I hope life returns to normal as quickly as possible and that you will not be unduly inconvenienced by the storms' impact. :grouphug:

I hope his mother accepts the invitation to Michigan - and contrary to popular belief, not all elderly people can tolerate the heat my mother and a first cousin needed to live in cooler climates away from the heat (it could be genetic). I am slowly discovering that as I age and I will be 50 in a few months I am experiencing the same.

I would not mind Michigan. I very much want to visit this gentleman's final resting spot:

attachment.php

Attachments

• Tomheadstone.JPG
    Tomheadstone.JPG
    61.6 KB · Views: 109
I can't say enough good things about the American Red Cross. During Sandy's cleanup, we had no power and spent all of our time and effort trying to get everything soaked in ocean water out of the house - EVERYTHING. We were without power for over 2 weeks. The American Red Cross had trucks every late afternoon delivering hot meals to our door for those of us who stayed behind in our homes. They also provide blankets when a week or so after Sandy we were hit by a snowstorm. Ask them what other assistance they provide, it could be helpful information.

DH and I have made donations to the Red Cross during several national disasters, and DH is working on his 16th gallon of blood donations to RC over the past 35 years.

http://www.redcross.org/what-we-do

Irma reveals to the world: Florida is the home of hunky cops

Before I forget - when our landlord boarded up our front windows Saturday, he had one of his helpers (construction) with him.

The helper was about 5'9", athletic slim build, and curly blonde hair. Yes he was cute!

My husband did not see me appreciating him as he was busy talking with the landlord.

Made it worth it to get the windows boarded up :D

Before I forget - when our landlord boarded up our front windows Saturday, he had one of his helpers (construction) with him.

The helper was about 5'9", athletic slim build, and curly blonde hair. Yes he was cute!

My husband did not see me appreciating him as he was busy talking with the landlord.

For every inconvenience, it's always best to find the benefit - no matter how minute. Haha

silver lining in every cloud

Laptop battery is winding down but will check in tomorrow with another update...

Signing off

8 deaths related to Hurricane Irma reported in Florida Keys

https://www.local10.com/weather/hur...ed-to-huricane-irma-reported-in-florida-keys-

Eight deaths related to Hurricane Irma have been reported in the Florida Keys as of Wednesday, Monroe County officials said.

https://www.local10.com/news/florida/hollywood/hollywood-nursing-home-evacuated

8 dead after AC issue that forced evacuation of Hollywood nursing home

AC repairman says he's at mercy of FPL to fix fuse needed to cool unit

https://www.local10.com/weather/hur...where-8-died-has-history-of-fraud-allegations

Owner of nursing home where 8 died has history of fraud allegations

I hope his mother accepts the invitation to Michigan - and contrary to popular belief, not all elderly people can tolerate the heat my mother and a first cousin needed to live in cooler climates away from the heat (it could be genetic). I am slowly discovering that as I age and I will be 50 in a few months I am experiencing the same.

I would not mind Michigan. I very much want to visit this gentleman's final resting spot:

attachment.php

Oliver Cemetery is not very far from where I and BDE live ... c'mon up and visit, MaryG!

Tom Tyler = Captain Marvel and he also
made a number of appearances in television series, including "The Lone Ranger," "Dick Tracy," "The Cisco Kid," "The Adventures of Wild Bill Hickok," "Boston Blackie," "The Range Rider," and "The Gene Autry Show."

I'm sure I saw a lot of him in my, ahem, younger days.
https://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=8671

8 deaths related to Hurricane Irma reported in Florida Keys

https://www.local10.com/weather/hur...ed-to-huricane-irma-reported-in-florida-keys-

https://www.local10.com/news/florida/hollywood/hollywood-nursing-home-evacuated

8 dead after AC issue that forced evacuation of Hollywood nursing home

AC repairman says he's at mercy of FPL to fix fuse needed to cool unit

https://www.local10.com/weather/hur...where-8-died-has-history-of-fraud-allegations

Owner of nursing home where 8 died has history of fraud allegations

My husband just told me about this. I'm sick.

Fire crews first responded to the facility at 3 a.m. Wednesday and answered another call at 4 a.m., city spokeswoman Raelin Storey said. A lieutenant called the battalion chief about the issues at the home, the city said. After a third emergency call, the fire department sent more crews to the scene.

Three bodies were found on the second floor. Sanchez said when he went to the scene "it was excessively hot on the second floor."

Temperatures reached into the 90s Tuesday and Wednesday in Hollywood and the heat index was near 100 degrees. Low temperatures were in the upper 70s.

"More than likely the heat did play a factor" in the conditions of the residents, Hollywood Fire Chief Christopher Pratt said.

Ugh, CNN keeps trying to play a video when I plug in the link. It's at CNN.com and titled "At least 8 dead after Irma leaves Florida nursing home with no A/C."

Outraged Officials Demand Answers After Eight Found Dead at Florida Nursing Home

https://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/h...rsing-home-after-irma-cut-power-mayor-n800931

The Broward County medical examiner identified the victims as: Carolyn Eatherly, 78; Miguel Antonio Franco, 92; Estella Hendricks, 71; Betty Hibbard, 84; Manuel Mario Medieta, 96; Gail Nova, 71; Bobby Owens, 84; and Albertina Vega, 99.

No official cause of death was given, but authorities described the deaths as heat-related.

RIP

Hollywood police conducted welfare checks on 42 other nursing homes and similar critical care facilities across the city throughout the day, said Raelin Storey, a spokeswoman for the city government.

The checks led fire rescue crews to transport four patients in their 70s to a hospital from an Amazing Care Inc. assisted living home as a precaution, she said. No further details were immediately available.

Outraged Officials Demand Answers After Eight Found Dead at Florida Nursing Home

https://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/h...rsing-home-after-irma-cut-power-mayor-n800931

RIP

Not to seem uncaring, but according to the degree of care that they needed it may have been life threatening to move some of them. I can't imagine them evacuating the patients at the senior center where my fil is at. There's people there who would require ambulance transport, one by one, while others might be able to ride in the bus, the ones with dementia... oh my gosh. Then there's the vent patients, and ones with serious wounds there to recoup and hope to return home, the motorized wheelchairs, bedridden, I'm just saying it would be a logistical nightmare under the best of circumstances but Irma was all over the map til the last minute. Where do you put folks with those types of needs. Tampa Bay hospital stayed up and running and they expected a hard hit until down to the wire, had they moved all of those patients, and some died, officials would be outraged. It's a tough decision. Double-edged sword. j.s.

Not to seem uncaring, but according to the degree of care that they needed it may have been life threatening to move some of them. I can't imagine them evacuating the patients at the senior center where my fil is at. There's people there who would require ambulance transport, one by one, while others might be able to ride in the bus, the ones with dementia... oh my gosh. Then there's the vent patients, and ones with serious wounds there to recoup and hope to return home, the motorized wheelchairs, bedridden, I'm just saying it would be a logistical nightmare under the best of circumstances but Irma was all over the map til the last minute. Where do you put folks with those types of needs. Tampa Bay hospital stayed up and running and they expected a hard hit until down to the wire, had they moved all of those patients, and some died, officials would be outraged. It's a tough decision. Double-edged sword. j.s.

I think the residents of this care facility could have been evacuated to the fully air conditioned hospital located directly across the street. Even if "life threatening to move" a patient, if staying in place will surely kill them, you move them.

But that would have required someone to be on site who recognized the danger of heat stroke in elderly patients and who recognized the signs and symptoms of a patient being in distress.

A health care provider was responsible for the well being of the patients in this rehab facility. There is always a Medical Director at this type of facility. It was known for a week that a massive hurricane was coming.

I'm not sure anyone is suggesting they should have been evacuated before the storm. The problem was the required generator failed before power was restored.

IMHO, that is when they should have been moved to the nearby hospital.

I read a similar article yesterday that showed a pic of a dog tied to a car bumper and up to its neck in flood waters. It also spoke about pets in crates, tied to trees, etc. I was so mad, it affected me for multiple hours after I read it. I just don't understand....

It's enraging, isn't it??? I completely understand your being upset for hours after you read it. Horrible.

Millionaire opens South Florida home to foster kids after Irma

September 13, 2017

BOCA RATON, Fla. (WSVN) — Talk about the ultimate sleepover. Dozens of foster kids who had spent the past few nights in a hurricane shelter are now relaxing in a 27,000 square-foot mansion in Boca Raton.

Mark Bell invited 70 children into his $30 million home after getting a desperate call for help.

“We got a call from the CEO of SOS Children’s Village, saying they were thrown out of the two shelters they had been in and they needed a place to go,” Bell said.

Bell is on the board of the non-profit organization, and said the children could come stay with him and his wife.

The sprawling home features a game room with toys and games to keep the children entertained, including dolls, air hockey, and vintage arcade games.

[...]

Bell even let the kids enjoy his large home theater room, saying, “It’s a a fun room, it’s meant to be fun for adults and our own kids and now they’re getting the same pleasure that we get out of it.”

He says the children are welcome to stay as long as they need shelter.

http://wsvn.com/news/local/millionaire-opens-south-florida-home-to-foster-kids-after-irma/

I'm not sure anyone is suggesting they should have been evacuated before the storm. The problem was the required generator failed before power was restored.

IMHO, that is when they should have been moved to the nearby hospital.

I agree. It seems other senior homes stayed put as well, and don't have power now, and are being evacuated too. As much as we watched this storm for two weeks or more, she never held a direct course, right down to the last minute.Some people fled their homes, and into the direct path, as she zigged and zagged around, wreaking havoc.

Millionaire opens South Florida home to foster kids after Irma

September 13, 2017

BOCA RATON, Fla. (WSVN) — Talk about the ultimate sleepover. Dozens of foster kids who had spent the past few nights in a hurricane shelter are now relaxing in a 27,000 square-foot mansion in Boca Raton.

Mark Bell invited 70 children into his $30 million home after getting a desperate call for help.

“We got a call from the CEO of SOS Children’s Village, saying they were thrown out of the two shelters they had been in and they needed a place to go,” Bell said.

Bell is on the board of the non-profit organization, and said the children could come stay with him and his wife.

The sprawling home features a game room with toys and games to keep the children entertained, including dolls, air hockey, and vintage arcade games.

[...]

Bell even let the kids enjoy his large home theater room, saying, “It’s a a fun room, it’s meant to be fun for adults and our own kids and now they’re getting the same pleasure that we get out of it.”

He says the children are welcome to stay as long as they need shelter.

http://wsvn.com/news/local/millionaire-opens-south-florida-home-to-foster-kids-after-irma/

Nice.

I think the residents of this care facility could have been evacuated to the fully air conditioned hospital located directly across the street. Even if "life threatening to move" a patient, if staying in place will surely kill them, you move them.

But that would have required someone to be on site who recognized the danger of heat stroke in elderly patients and who recognized the signs and symptoms of a patient being in distress.

A health care provider was responsible for the well being of the patients in this rehab facility. There is always a Medical Director at this type of facility. It was known for a week that a massive hurricane was coming.

This was after the storm when everything went south. It seems they did call, at 3:15 a.m., for assistance.

[FONT=&quot]"Carballo said the nursing home had a working generator and never lost all of its power. But he said that a transformer powering the site's air conditioning "went down" and that management immediately contacted Florida Power & Light, the local electric utility, along with local emergency official".

But::

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Broward County Mayor Barbara Sharief said Wednesday that she had asked Florida Power & Light to make it a priority to get power back for assisted living, nursing home and senior care centers.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The utility said in a statement Wednesday that it was limited in what it could reveal because of the investigations. But it said that "other critical facilities" — notably hospitals and 911 centers — were identified as higher priorities and that the nursing home was very close to a hospital that did have power.

They called when they lost power, and evacuated. LE then checked the other senior facilities:

Later Wednesday, a second south Florida nursing home, Krystal Bay Nursing and Rehabilitation Center in North Miami Beach, was evacuated. Officials didn't say what prompted the decision.

But it boils down to:
“This is one of those classic cases of damned if you do, damned if you don’t. It’s a very difficult decision: When you evacuate, there is an inherent body count for frail, older adults,” said David Dosa, a geriatrician at Rhode Island Hospital and a professor of medicine at Brown University. “This is going to be a very large storm that adversely affects older people and may affect them more than anyone else.”

A plan for Brookdale Margate to send more than 200 residents from a home in Fort Lauderdale to a Marriott in Tampa fell apart as the hotel came under an evacuation order. Brookdale, which operates seven facilities in Florida that it was evacuating Friday, instead sent the residents to another assisted-living facility the company operates in Bradenton, south of Tampa. But by late Friday, that was projected to be closer to the eye of the storm than where residents had started out Friday morning, on the state’s east coast.[/FONT]

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...b822a46da5b_story.html?utm_term=.9c247298f78c

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BOTTERB
Back