Hurricane Matthew - Sept-Oct 2016

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I lived in the Keys when I was a kid (long time ago), and I lived through a hurricane down there. We did not have nearly the early warning that folks get now. We didn't have time to evacuate very far before we had to take shelter, and that shelter would not take pets. My mom covered all the windows of the station wagon and made our dog a bed in the back with her own bedding, food, and plenty of water. She seemed to have fared okay, thank goodness.

I'm too far away to offer shelter unfortunately. All I can offer is prayers and encouragement and cyber hugs to all in the hurricane and to all who have loved ones affected by Matthew, and these things I offer up freely.

So glad everyone is doing okay so far! So sad about Haiti:(! I can't believe those 20 people in that BnB! I bet money they are NOT the owners. Who would put their kids in harm's way like that?! Scary!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I would venture to say it will make more breeding ground. But I am far from an expert! Well expert in being bit by mosquitos! Everyone needs to make sure after the storm and when it is safe to do so, make sure to empty out anything that can hold water. Tires are hot beds in South Georgia. But flooded areas can't be helped really. You know when I lived in northeast Georgia, I would notice that men would go around and drop chemicals in storm drains. I asked someone once and they said it was to control mosquitos. I wonder if they can do something similar and maybe increase spraying for a time. I dunno I doubt their most important thing will be the control of mosquitos but with tons of people coming in possibly to help with cleanup it should be important. Jmoo

The obstetrician I work for predicts that this will push them further north and provide more breeding ground for them, but it's really anybody's guess at this point.

Thank you, SweetCaroline :heart:

attachment.php
Around, Six this evening

attachment.php
Eight pm

attachment.php
and Eleven pm

attachment.php
early tomorrow, Four am

attachment.php
and Nine am

Forecast from here, as of now: http://www.intellicast.com/Local/WxMap.aspx tonight, ~6 pm View attachment 102595 View attachment 102591 View attachment 102592 to ~11pm
Nine am.jpg, then ~9 am over Charleston, and earlier ~4 am View attachment 102594

Otto, how'd you make out? And thank you for all the first hand accounts of conditions and information sleuthers. Wishing all safety.

I am 60 miles inland of Myrtle Beach. Preparing for the worst and hoping for the best. Stay safe everyone!

Sent from my ALCATEL A564C using Tapatalk

I live one block from the ocean in Myrtle Beach, and I've decided to spend my weekend in Charlotte just to be on the safe side. I secured my balcony this morning, by bringing all the furniture inside, and headed out of town. It appeared many people had already left because there were very few cars on the road. Anyway, I just checked into my hotel and now all I can do is just pray for minimal damage.

To all my fellow WSers who are dealing with this storm, please stay safe out there!! :)

b4f6ad41e2362cf7c3267c657046cbfc.jpg
c598d198b2f79bc8e2ac45cb4a3c9143.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have offered to open our home to anyone seeking shelter We have 2 extra bedrooms and looking for Pet people.. Don't leave them behind. If anyone knows of someone shoot me a pm

I wish I knew you were there on Thursday ... what a nightmare it was with no car, knowing no one, just another tourist, and evacuated from not one, but two hotels. I'm pretty sure I got the last seat on the last flight out of Savannah Thursday evening. With a night with no sleep, I'm finally home again after flying across the country and doubling back to get home.

Looking at the projections today, it looks like the storm will not be as devastating it might have been, but the storm surge is still a concern.

I have been following you as best I can, Jax49. Hope all stays reasonably well for you, no major scares or damage.

Otto, trying to check on you often. Hope you get out of there before long. Sounds pretty scary. Be safe.

''Sending "be well" hopes to all in the path of this monstrous weather.

I'm far away from Savannah now. I had planned to see the Werner Herzog film at the Telford Center on Thursday evening, and to spend a few more days on Tybee Island, but all that will have to wait for another time. By Wednesday, schools and museums were closed, and the city was almost a ghost town. By Thursday morning, some homeless people approached me for money and then offered that I could "hang" with them during the storm. That was interesting! They're probably still hiding in the bushes near the wharf.

I was really unsure of what to do, went to the airport twice. American Airlines told me that the airport was closing at 2PM, but that wasn't true. They sent me to a hotel that was put on evacuation notice while I was being shuttled there. Other guests told me about the evacuation notice, so I asked the hotel to shuttle me back to the airport. That's when I discovered that American Airlines was shut down, but Delta was still flying - thankfully. The other option was to go back to the Civic Center, get on one of the busses, and spend the weekend in Augusta at the shelter. People arrived at the Civic Center with pillows and supplies - quite the scene. I was happy to land in Atlanta - but it's been a very long day.

Good to know you got home, Otto. Been watching for you to pop in here. Now try to relax a bit.

Good to know you got home, Otto. Been watching for you to pop in here. Now try to relax a bit.

I'm exhausted! I was at a conference in Atlanta and Savannah was supposed to be relaxing days on the beach and clearing my head - turned out nothing like I had imagined.

I'm exhausted! I was at a conference in Atlanta and Savannah was supposed to be relaxing days on the beach and clearing my head - turned out nothing like I had imagined.

It sounds like you spent a week with all the shuttling and evacuating you did instead of just 1 day.

I wish I knew you were there on Thursday ... what a nightmare it was with no car, knowing no one, just another tourist, and evacuated from not one, but two hotels. I'm pretty sure I got the last seat on the last flight out of Savannah Thursday evening. With a night with no sleep, I'm finally home again after flying across the country and doubling back to get home.

Looking at the projections today, it looks like the storm will not be as devastating it might have been, but the storm surge is still a concern.
So glad you made it safely home! I'm sitting at my house watching the pine trees dance and praying for miracles! Sending love to all my fellow sleuths and praying that y'all remain safe! 😘

First Coast News report on current safety measures with power company, JEA, posted ten minutes ago, from 7 pm

[video=youtube;Vm3RZH1qXmU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vm3RZH1qXmU[/video]

THE STATE NEWSPAPER, BY CYNTHIA ROLDÁN

"Charleston Police Chief Greg Mullen shares how city officials are handling Hurricane Matthew."
Oct 7 16
posted ten minutes ago

[video=youtube;x0M2euP4hDY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0M2euP4hDY[/video]

Well I'm in Kentucky, but if any one needs a place to stay, I'll keep your belly's full. And I'd turn away humans before I'd turn away pets. :D

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meadams14
Back