IA IA - David Schultz, 53, Wall Lake, 21 November 2023 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.

"Investigators said the farm where Dave picked up the pigs was searched and the manure pit in the barn was pumped and drained."
Thanks for that article!

Based on the article, it sounds to me as if truckers dropping off pigs during the nighttime hours may be working alone at times. So now we know that Dave's dropoff of the pigs wasn't noticed until the next morning. This explains why no one at Wiechmans raised the alarm earlier, like when Dave didn't appear by, say, 1:00am. There was probably no one there waiting for him. Another clue that he could willingly disappear and that his absence wouldn't be noticed for hours, as well as it being another way someone could harm him and it would go unnoticed for awhile as well.

Relevant text from the article included below:

Kevin Sievers, assistant manager of Wiechman Pig Co., works out of the Sioux City, Iowa, facility but also oversees the Sac City site where Dave was scheduled to unload.

We had a guy come in the next morning to work up the hogs, and he noticed that there weren’t as many hogs as there were supposed to be in the pens,” Sievers told FreightWaves. “We contacted where the hogs came from and if something had gotten changed with their scheduling or something. They reached out to the trucking firm and the site where the hogs were loaded and said the hogs had been loaded but not delivered.”

Brown said he learned around 7:30 a.m. on Nov. 21 that Dave’s load of pigs hadn’t been delivered. Less than an hour after not being able to reach Dave by phone, Brown went out looking for him.

. . .

Sievers said the site where Dave was to unload the pigs is a smaller facility and had a couple of semi-loads arrive earlier that night.

“We don’t buy a lot of hogs there,” Sievers said. “ It doesn’t have hogs in it all the time — we just use it as necessary. A lot of drivers will drop off their pigs and they’ll drop off their load paperwork in a box and put them in the pens and leave.

Sievers said Dave was supposed to be the last truck to unload that night.

Thanks for that article!

Based on the article, it sounds to me as if truckers dropping off pigs during the nighttime hours may be working alone at times. So now we know that Dave's dropoff of the pigs wasn't noticed until the next morning. This explains why no one at Wiechmans raised the alarm earlier, like when Dave didn't appear by, say, 1:00am. There was probably no one there waiting for him. Another clue that he could willingly disappear and that his absence wouldn't be noticed for hours, as well as it being another way someone could harm him and it would go unnoticed for awhile as well.

Relevant text from the article included below:

Kevin Sievers, assistant manager of Wiechman Pig Co., works out of the Sioux City, Iowa, facility but also oversees the Sac City site where Dave was scheduled to unload.

We had a guy come in the next morning to work up the hogs, and he noticed that there weren’t as many hogs as there were supposed to be in the pens,” Sievers told FreightWaves. “We contacted where the hogs came from and if something had gotten changed with their scheduling or something. They reached out to the trucking firm and the site where the hogs were loaded and said the hogs had been loaded but not delivered.”

Brown said he learned around 7:30 a.m. on Nov. 21 that Dave’s load of pigs hadn’t been delivered. Less than an hour after not being able to reach Dave by phone, Brown went out looking for him.

. . .

Sievers said the site where Dave was to unload the pigs is a smaller facility and had a couple of semi-loads arrive earlier that night.

“We don’t buy a lot of hogs there,” Sievers said. “ It doesn’t have hogs in it all the time — we just use it as necessary. A lot of drivers will drop off their pigs and they’ll drop off their load paperwork in a box and put them in the pens and leave.

Sievers said Dave was supposed to be the last truck to unload that night.
I wonder how sure LE is that DS never made it to the delivery location? They based that off a nearby business camera, so is there any other way DD could have entered the area? It seems pretty bold for the boss to say he thinks something happened at Wiechman's, imo.

I wonder how sure LE is that DS never made it to the delivery location? They based that off a nearby business camera, so is there any other way DD could have entered the area? It seems pretty bold for the boss to say he thinks something happened at Wiechman's, imo.
That was a strange comment, wasn't it?

I'm not sure we've read exactly where the camera is near Wiechmans, but I'd be willing to bet it could be one at Domino Motors or Bomgaars across the street just a bit to the east as shown below (link below of the satellite view includes Wiechmans' location). Or perhaps even the Van Wall Equipment place next to Wiechmans has a camera that includes road footage.

His natural route from Eagle Grove, though, would be to head south on 71, then make a right and head west on 255th, driving right past all 3 of those businesses. I suppose he could have circled around and approached Wiechmans from the west, but why?

I think cell phone data would also corroborate whether or not David was near Wiechman's. There is likely a tower closer to Sac City that David's phone would have connected with if he did in fact drive south from Hwy 20 towards Sac City and Wiechman's.

JMO

I think cell phone data would also corroborate whether or not David was near Wiechman's. There is likely a tower closer to Sac City that David's phone would have connected with if he did in fact drive south from Hwy 20 towards Sac City and Wiechman's.

JMO
Agreed. They even said his phone showed him heading north.

That was a strange comment, wasn't it?

I'm not sure we've read exactly where the camera is near Wiechmans, but I'd be willing to bet it could be one at Domino Motors or Bomgaars across the street just a bit to the east as shown below (link below of the satellite view includes Wiechmans' location). Or perhaps even the Van Wall Equipment place next to Wiechmans has a camera that includes road footage.

His natural route from Eagle Grove, though, would be to head south on 71, then make a right and head west on 255th, driving right past all 3 of those businesses. I suppose he could have circled around and approached Wiechmans from the west, but why?

Earlier I posted a picture of what I believed to be camera's on the implement dealers building which is on the very corner east of Wiechman's driveway.

Given the route David would have taken to get from Hwy 20 to Wiechman's he would have driven past this business and turned left into Wiechnam's driveway.

At least one of these cameras are pointing towards the road and would have captured David's truck if he had driven past.

Implement Dealer Camera.jpg

I visited Marker 126 f/bk searching for outside vending machines for travelers stopping during unmanned/closed hours; I did not see any, however, I ran across this interesting tidbit: "Fort Dodge has it rockin’. Got them some fiber optics telecom to boot!"
IMO, it's possible Dave stopped there to check his tires and use the internet.

The statement by Dave's boss is very interesting. This man has first-hand knowledge of what is going on.
However, Brown said he’s convinced that Dave arrived at the pig-buying station and that “something happened” to him when he got out of his truck to unload the pigs. He claims that someone else drove Dave’s custom-painted Peterbilt out of the station but that Dave wasn’t behind the wheel. He understands there’s no video evidence to back up his claim.

Agree, I'd sure like to hear more about his reasons - since there is no video evidence Dave made it there.

I visited Marker 126 f/bk searching for outside vending machines for travelers stopping during unmanned/closed hours; I did not see any, however, I ran across this interesting tidbit: "Fort Dodge has it rockin’. Got them some fiber optics telecom to boot!"
Did you notice where cameras are pointing or take any pictures of them?

Did you verify the store hours are still the same as what is posted on FB and they were in fact closed when David was there according to LE?

From the quoted link, I saw this post by the United Cajun Navy Search Team Leader and curious if anybody knows what "evidence" caused them want to search closer here. Also, has the lake been searched?

We will be conducting a search tomorrow [11/25] from 10:30-until dark that will consist of searching the Brushy State Recreation Area. There has been evidence brought to our attention that this area deserves to be looked at closer. We will meet at 10:30 am at 3139 Beach Dr, Duncombe IA. This is the south public beach parking at the lake.

From the quoted link, I saw this post by the United Cajun Navy Search Team Leader and curious if anybody knows what "evidence" caused them want to search closer here. Also, has the lake been searched?

We will be conducting a search tomorrow [11/25] from 10:30-until dark that will consist of searching the Brushy State Recreation Area. There has been evidence brought to our attention that this area deserves to be looked at closer. We will meet at 10:30 am at 3139 Beach Dr, Duncombe IA. This is the south public beach parking at the lake.
Didn't it have something to do with the phone?

Didn't it have something to do with the phone?
That’s what I recall. His phone pinged in the area, but we never learned if it was just because that’s what it would do normally as he drove past the northern edge of it on Rt 20. I’m guessing that’s all it was, as the timeframe of his video sightings and other pings wouldn’t have given him enough time to drive south into the park area itself.

I've pretty much discounted the idea of a medical emergency, simply because of where David's truck was found. Why drive so far along the road in the wrong direction? Loring Hospital in Sac City is *closer* to the Hwy 20/71 intersection than where the truck was found.

Unless David was suffering some kind of mental problem which caused him to completely lose his bearings and drive the wrong way, I just can't see a medical reason being the cause given the available evidence.
I agree - it's hard to hide your own body with a medical event so urgent he'd stop in the middle of the road, when Sarah and her brother both say that wasn't like him at all.
Would they not have also taken his cash, though? That’s a huge oddity to me when I think of this with any foul play slant.
The only theory that makes that make sense is if he was involved in a drug transaction. Hypothetical: a person is delivering a large quantity of xyz drug to someone - that someone has a ton more cash than the $1k/$2K in the wallet. If something went wrong, that seems like an unlikely person to be rooting around for a comparably small amount of cash. Outside of something like that - the cash being left seems to rule out theories of a random stranger attack AND leaving with a love interest (which I find pretty unbelievable). It could also explain the ratty coat - maybe something was wrapped in it that he was going to exchange? Doesn't explain the charger, but just a thought.
I don't understand why she didn't want to watch the video. There could be something off about David in the video that LE wouldn't necessarily know was different about him.
I found that strange too. I'd be dying for clues.
it's confusing that he stopped at 126 Marker for 16 minutes if he would be running late, don't you think?
Yes. Very odd - especially at that time of night. The subpoenas should tell that story.

Last edited:
Why was David running late in the first place?
I'm wondering if that was under his own volition to be tardy or due to unforeseen issues regarding work/drive/loads/backup?
It does make me wonder.

We’ve read that he was supposed to be next to last to load in EG, but was a bit late so he loaded last. Was that intentional? Because if he had loaded next to last, assuming both drivers were headed to Wiechmans, he may have been missed sooner if the next driver arrived at Wiechmans and somehow figured out DS hadn’t been there yet, which may have then perhaps launched a search for him much earlier.

It does make me wonder.

We’ve read that he was supposed to be next to last to load in EG, but was a bit late so he loaded last. Was that intentional? Because if he had loaded next to last, assuming both drivers were headed to Wiechmans, he may have been missed sooner if the next driver arrived at Wiechmans and somehow figured out DS hadn’t been there yet, which may have then perhaps launched a search for him much earlier.
Did someone cause him to be late on purpose?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member