Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
It does make me wonder.

We’ve read that he was supposed to be next to last to load in EG, but was a bit late so he loaded last. Was that intentional? Because if he had loaded next to last, assuming both drivers were headed to Wiechmans, he may have been missed sooner if the next driver arrived at Wiechmans and somehow figured out DS hadn’t been there yet, which may have then perhaps launched a search for him much earlier.

Good point!

I think it's said in one of the recent articles that David was running late because a previous load had taken longer than expected. But if you were planning "disappear" it would make sense to be the last in the queue, with nobody following after you wondering where you've gone.

it's confusing that he stopped at 126 Marker for 16 minutes if he would be running late, don't you think?
I don't think David was running late.

According to what the manager of Wiechman's said, driver just drop off the pigs and then leave their paperwork in a box. Meaning it's pretty much a self serve type of place when unloading after hours. There would be no appointment times in a case like that. The truckers would just deliver when they get there.

I think if David actually had an appointment at midnight and there was actually men working there at midnight they obviously would have known David didn't arrive. If that were the case, the men would also know how many pigs should be in the pens and how many hogs they were short because David didn't arrive.

But the assumption was David did deliver his load of hogs early that morning before the man came in the next morning to work up the hogs and it only became known that David didn't deliver until after the man that was working up the hogs in the morning noticed there weren't as many hogs as there was supposed to be there in the pens. That is when Wiechman's started looking for the missing hogs.

JMO

“We had a guy come in the next morning to work up the hogs, and he noticed that there weren’t as many hogs as there were supposed to be in the pens,” Sievers told FreightWaves. “We contacted where the hogs came from and if something had gotten changed with their scheduling or something. They reached out to the trucking firm and the site where the hogs were loaded and said the hogs had been loaded but not delivered.”Wife of Iowa trucker seeks answers a month after his disappearance

According to what the manager of Wiechman's said, driver just drop off the pigs and then leave their paperwork in a box. Meaning it's pretty much a self serve type of place when unloading after hours. There would be no appointment times in a case like that. The truckers would just deliver when they get there.

I think if David actually had an appointment at midnight and there was actually men working there at midnight they obviously would have known David didn't arrive. If that were the case, the men would also know how many pigs should be in the pens and how many hogs they were short because David didn't arrive.

But the assumption was David did deliver his load of hogs early that morning before the man came in the next morning to work up the hogs and it only became known that David didn't deliver until after the man that was working up the hogs in the morning noticed there weren't as many hogs as there was supposed to be there in the pens. That is when Wiechman's started looking for the missing hogs.

JMO

“We had a guy come in the next morning to work up the hogs, and he noticed that there weren’t as many hogs as there were supposed to be in the pens,” Sievers told FreightWaves. “We contacted where the hogs came from and if something had gotten changed with their scheduling or something. They reached out to the trucking firm and the site where the hogs were loaded and said the hogs had been loaded but not delivered.”Wife of Iowa trucker seeks answers a month after his disappearance
He was late to arrive in Eagle Grove, though:

“McClure said Sac County sheriff's detectives and Lake View police traveled to the Eagle Grove area in Wright County and, with help from the Wright County Sheriff's Office, found the hog confinement David was supposed to load up from. Load crew members were interviewed and load records were obtained. Investigators learned David had picked up his load, but he had been late to arrive. His truck was the last truck loaded. He left at about 10:50 p.m.

When asked whether David stopped anywhere before arriving in Eagle Grove and why he was late, McClure responded, "No. I can't definitively say either way." “

JMO

This is from the same article you just quoted, BBM:

"Dave picked up a load of 120 pigs near Eagle Grove, Iowa, but authorities say he never arrived for his appointment time of midnight at the site where he was supposed to offload the pigs: Wiechman Pig Co. buying station in Sac City, Iowa."

This is from the same article you just quoted, BBM:

"Dave picked up a load of 120 pigs near Eagle Grove, Iowa, but authorities say he never arrived for his appointment time of midnight at the site where he was supposed to offload the pigs: Wiechman Pig Co. buying station in Sac City, Iowa."
Oh goodie, more conflicting info. The Freightwaves article linked earlier today is the one implying what Joe said above, no scheduled time at that hour, drop off the pigs and leave your paperwork in the box.

This detail from the Freightwaves article is curious:

“Dave called me and said, ‘Hey, could you set out a change of clothes for me? I’m late,’” Sarah Schultz told FreightWaves.

She said her last conversation with Dave was about the fact that he didn’t like the pants she had picked out for him because the pockets weren’t deep enough.

After running upstairs and grabbing a different pair, Dave gave her a kiss goodbye and headed out, Sarah said.

Sarah had presumably picked out pants for David many times. Assuming the pants she picked out had always been acceptable before, why did David need deeper pockets on this particular night?

Because he was carrying/hiding something is the obvious answer. But what?

He was late to arrive in Eagle Grove, though:

“McClure said Sac County sheriff's detectives and Lake View police traveled to the Eagle Grove area in Wright County and, with help from the Wright County Sheriff's Office, found the hog confinement David was supposed to load up from. Load crew members were interviewed and load records were obtained. Investigators learned David had picked up his load, but he had been late to arrive. His truck was the last truck loaded. He left at about 10:50 p.m.

When asked whether David stopped anywhere before arriving in Eagle Grove and why he was late, McClure responded, "No. I can't definitively say either way." “

And it was reported early on that he had talked to dispatch and was upset that he was running late. I mean, that, and your post is all we have to go on.

And it was reported early on that he had talked to dispatch and was upset that he was running late. I mean, that, and your post is all we have to go on.
Right, and I seem to recall another early report said he called dispatch, annoyed about having to do a late night load. So were there two calls, or did the media mangle the content of one call to dispatch?

I also have questions about dispatch at that time of night. If he called them for whatever reason en route to Eagle Grove, was dispatch still not monitoring his trip back to Sac City? I have no idea how it works, whether drivers announce they’re en route or when they have arrived, or do they only contact dispatch if necessary, but it occurred to me that if he called dispatch en route, someone somewhere was sitting there answering calls at that late hour but I guess he didn’t have to check in at Sac City/Wiechmans to announce his arrival or else that would have been another missing part that would have triggered an alarm call.

Regarding the pants Sarah set out for David and the deep pockets.

It has been reported in many articles David was last seen wearing Wrangler Jeans.

Now we are hearing that after being asked by David in a phone call, Sarah set out a change of clothing for him. But David didn't like the pants Sarah had picked out because the pockets were not deep enough. Sarah then ran back up stairs to grab a different pair with deeper pockets and after giving Sarah a kiss goodbye he headed out.

Did David change into the pair of pants Sarah had gotten David with the deeper pockets or did he take the pants with him as he headed out?

Was it the pair of Wranglers that Sarah had given David and he changed into them before leaving or did he perhaps have Wranglers on and take a different pair of Wranglers or perhaps a different brand of pants with him? If he took an extra pair of pants with him, where the extra pants found in the truck?

I thought I read when Sarah was describing David he is a guy that wore Wranglers and cowboy boots. If he regularly or only wore Wrangler jeans, how many different styles of Wranglers are there and do they have different depths of pockets?

I'm a Levi blue jeans guy and all the pair I have, even though some are different styles, the pocket depths are all the same. I also have a pair or two of jeans that are not Levi and I do not like them so I hardly wear them. If I asked my wife to get me a pair of jeans she wouldn't get me one of those pair knowing I don't like them. She would get me one of the pair of jeans I normally wear.

It has been reported in many articles David was last seen wearing Wrangler Jeans.

Now we are hearing that after being asked by David in a phone call, Sarah set out a change of clothing for him. But David didn't like the pants Sarah had picked out because the pockets were not deep enough. Sarah then ran back up stairs to grab a different pair with deeper pockets and after giving Sarah a kiss goodbye he headed out.

Did David change into the pair of pants Sarah had gotten David with the deeper pockets or did he take the pants with him as he headed out?

Was it the pair of Wranglers that Sarah had given David and he changed into them before leaving or did he perhaps have Wranglers on and take a different pair of Wranglers or perhaps a different brand of pants with him? If he took an extra pair of pants with him, where the extra pants found in the truck?

I thought I read when Sarah was describing David he is a guy that wore Wranglers and cowboy boots. If he regularly or only wore Wrangler jeans, how many different styles of Wranglers are there and do they have different depths of pockets?
RSBM
Men's Wranglers
https://www.wrangler.com/shop/men-jeans

I'm a Levi blue jeans guy and all the pair I have, even though some are different styles, the pocket depths are all the same. I also have a pair or two of jeans that are not Levi and I do not like them so I hardly wear them. If I asked my wife to get me a pair of jeans she wouldn't get me one of those pair knowing I don't like them. She would get me one of the pair of jeans I normally wear.

The article makes it sound like David ran upstairs and chose an acceptable pair himself, not that Sarah went upstairs and brought down another pair.

For whatever reason, the correct pair appears to have been vitally important to David on this night.

a man would prefer deep pockets to hold their cell phone or those long wallets truckers often use, IMO. I searched wrangler for the specific words "deep pockets" to no avail, that could be just what Dave & Sarah refer to them as, IDK

that's probably one of the smallest rewards I have ever seen .... j/s. $2,000

I too would be shocked if I wasn't familiar with Missing Persons cases in Iowa. I remember when Mollie Tibbets was missing, the initial reward here was also only $2K--I think funded by Crime Stoppers. We learned for the Organization to go beyond $2K threshold required a pretty lengthy contract and disclosures which local business owners agreed they would comply with so they could raise the reward for Molly substantially.

Also, I noticed this reward was announced by the non-profit United Cajun Navy (who organized the search at the state park). In other words, I think $2k might be unique to non-profits in Iowa. Nonetheless, especially considering the state burden/regulations involved, the value here shouldn't be considered as anything to diminish DS value to his family, friends, and community. JMO

Last edited:
If David was running late either was supposed to be there at midnight or whenever he wanted overnight, let's remember he was supposed to have another load after that. What time was he supposed to be there for that?

Screenshot_20231223-020002_Chrome.jpg
If David made it to the unloading of the pigs, which we know he didn't. He would of gotten there maybe midnight? Time to unload, drive back home, maybe stop and eat, just thinking of what time he would of made it home. Let's say, 3 To 4 o'clock in the morning. It's a school day I think....when SS got up in the morning, with the kids, she didn't notice him not there? She did say, this run, he wanted to get home because her daughter and grandson are there. My opinion only, but makes no sense. It really doesn't. Maybe they really don't communicate, did she think he just kept working?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cowboy89