IA IA - David Schultz, 53, Wall Lake, 21 November 2023 #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't remember if this has ever been mentioned before, but I got to thinking tonight. What if while David was stopped at Mile 26 and out of his truck, he got a text message from an unknown number. What if he was told to deliver the pigs to a different location and he was answering the text on his phone.
IIRC, when David got off Highway 20, he drove about 4 miles in the wrong direction and there was another pig farm very nearby. The nearest town to me is 5 miles away. I can't see someone waiting for David at that intresection, driving his truck that far to hide it if they were in a hurry to take David, harm him, and get away. However, I can see David driving that far if he thought that was where he was delivering the pigs. ETA-All IMHO.

I can't remember if this has ever been mentioned before, but I got to thinking tonight. What if while David was stopped at Mile 26 and out of his truck, he got a text message from an unknown number. What if he was told to deliver the pigs to a different location and he was answering the text on his phone.
IIRC, when David got off Highway 20, he drove about 4 miles in the wrong direction and there was another pig farm very nearby. The nearest town to me is 5 miles away. I can't see someone waiting for David at that intresection, driving his truck that far to hide it if they were in a hurry to take David, harm him, and get away. However, I can see David driving that far if he thought that was where he was delivering the pigs. ETA-All IMHO.
LE has David's phone and would know if David received a text changing the delivery location and explaining why the truck was located were it was. Phone records would also show text messages and the number the message was sent from. LE could then follow that lead and so on.

I think his money could be left behind, even in a foul play situation, if they had lured him away from the truck. They might have thrown him into a vehicle and never looked into his truck?

Maybe this was revenge against him for something and not a robbery?

All I can come up with is perhaps he messed with the wrong woman and a crazy jealous husband went after him?
I wonder about that, too @katydid. I know there are many scenarios where the money would be left behind even if foul play. I think I need to just take that piece out like you did, and mull over reasons it could be foul play like in your scenario.
Just nothing feels right in any way. If he came back and said he’d been abducted by an alien? At this point, I’d believe it 100%. All MOO

Last edited:
I wonder about that, too @katydid. I know there are many scenarios where the money would be left behind even if foul play. I think I need to just take that piece out like you did, and mull over reasons it could be foul play like in your scenario.
Just nothing feels right in any way. If he came back and said he’d been abducted by an alien? At this point, I’d beliee it 100%. All MOO
Along the same lines, ignore that he left $2k and his wallet behind and this looks a whole lot like like he left voluntarily.

LE has David's phone and would know if David received a text changing the delivery location and explaining why the truck was located were it was. Phone records would also show text messages and the number the message was sent from. LE could then follow that lead and so on.
Yeah you're right! I never even thought about that. It was the only logical explanation to me as to why David would go that far down the road in the wrong direction on his own if he did so.

i think with trucking livestock, there is usually paperwork that goes with the load that includes the address of the destination. Especially since this is a load of eventual food, the paperwork has to be correct as far as the usda is concerned.

With hindsight, knowing there wasn't actually anything wrong with David's truck, it's possible to say he wouldn't have chosen to park it like that. But the friend didn't know what had happened.

If David's truck had broken down, he would have had no choice other than to bring the truck to a halt wherever he safely could. On that particular road, narrow and with no shoulder, he would have either had to park on the road or in the ditch. Neither are good options but one is unquestionably better than the other.
only if something was wrong with the truck, we would know since the mechanic went and got it

I'm very curious about the cash he carried. Why so much? Did he usually pay for gas with cash? If so, is $2000 enough to get him through the week on gas and food? How many times a week did he have to fill up, on average? How much did he keep in his account for when he had to use his debit card? How often did he use his debit card for gas? Why didn't he use credit cards? If he was going to walk away or self-harm, why pull out the cash to leave his wife in the truck cab instead of leave it safely in the bank? Did they share a bank account? Why leave her with the mess of a new truck, not in her name, with payments due, but then leave her some cash? Did he have to keep all receipts and account for all that cash each week, for tax purposes? Had he always carried that much cash while trucking? Did he ever have cash left at the end of the week, or draw out more cash?

Cell phone data also shows investigators that Schultz travels across Hwy to the intersection of Hwy 20 & Hwy 71 junction. There was not any usable video from the DOT camera at Hwy 4 and Hwy 20, and there is no video of Schultz stopping at the truck stop at Hwy 4. Cell phone shows Schultz’s phone arrives at Hwy 20 & 71 at about 12:18 AM. The data shows the phone traveling north to where the truck was found. Data suggests the truck may have been there since 12:40 AM on November 21, 2023.
How accurate is cell phone data going off of pings for location? I know GPS is super accuarate from my experiences but data accuracy from pings and towers not in my realm. If the accuacy is like with in 3 to 4 miles it could make a big difference. FWIW I did find a cell tower map of the area and they seem fairly distant from Sac City? I am a mile from my tower and have dead zones in my yard and basement. I just wonder how accurate cell pings for location would be in that situation, with the towers further away? The area he went missing from and where he was supposed to be is a very short distance in the whole scheme of things.
https://www.scadacore.com/tools/rf-path/cell-tower-map-united-states/

How accurate is cell phone data going off of pings for location? I know GPS is super accuarate from my experiences but data accuracy from pings and towers not in my realm. If the accuacy is like with in 3 to 4 miles it could make a big difference. FWIW I did find a cell tower map of the area and they seem fairly distant from Sac City? I am a mile from my tower and have dead zones in my yard and basement. I just wonder how accurate cell pings for location would be in that situation, with the towers further away? The area he went missing from and where he was supposed to be is a very short distance in the whole scheme of things.
You're right that the pings are not always that accurate compared to GPS. Would be nice to get an expert's opinion on his phone's pings...
I'm very curious about the cash he carried. Why so much? Did he usually pay for gas with cash? If so, is $2000 enough to get him through the week on gas and food? How many times a week did he have to fill up, on average? How much did he keep in his account for when he had to use his debit card? How often did he use his debit card for gas? Why didn't he use credit cards? If he was going to walk away or self-harm, why pull out the cash to leave his wife in the truck cab instead of leave it safely in the bank? Did they share a bank account? Why leave her with the mess of a new truck, not in her name, with payments due, but then leave her some cash? Did he have to keep all receipts and account for all that cash each week, for tax purposes? Had he always carried that much cash while trucking? Did he ever have cash left at the end of the week, or draw out more cash?
SS said in an interview that he didn't use credit cards and that that amount of cash was normal "Sunday cash" that he would take out and have with him for the week. She didn't indicate that the amount was suspicious to her. Someone here commented that you also get a slight discount on fuel if you pay cash.

Yeah you're right! I never even thought about that. It was the only logical explanation to me as to why David would go that far down the road in the wrong direction on his own if he did so.
Just to entertain the idea of him needing to go to the other one, i know loading the pigs has no contact... but what about before leaving? perhaps they told him therefore didnt need a call or text?

MOO

I agree with all of this, unless this is a voluntary disappearance, (and I’m not saying it is).
Everything has been staged just right; enough so that we’re all here scratching our heads. If he was crafty enough to do this planning, I think he would be smart enough to use a burner phone instead of his own cell to contact his accomplice.
I wonder if the Marker 126 video is clear enough to tell what kind of phone he was scrolling through. I kinda doubt it.

Like so many others this case is haunting me, it just makes no sense. There has to be something that is not being asking and therefore leaving a missing piece.. MOO

There isnt a way to go back and listen to the police scanners from the night he went missing is there...?

SS said in an interview that he didn't use credit cards and that that amount of cash was normal "Sunday cash" that he would take out and have with him for the week. She didn't indicate that the amount was suspicious to her. Someone here commented that you also get a slight discount on fuel if you pay cash.
Love's truck stops in Iowa (at least the three that I'm familiar with) have a 5cent per gallon cash discount. Right now, $3.73 per gallon, $3.68 when paying with cash. He probably gets roughly 6mpg and I'm guessing that truck probably has duel tanks, so probably about 300 gallon capacity. 5cents per gallon x 300 gallons works out to $15 savings per fill.

I don't know how common that is though, another way to get discounted fuel is with a fuel card. The drawback would be a fuel card is going to be brand specific, cash is accepted just about anywhere.

My trucker hubby carried a lot of cash when he either worked for very small companies or as an independent (and in these instances it was an issue of instable credit history so avoidance of credit cards). When with larger companies he would be set up with a Comchek card or diverging similar. That amount of money doesn't surprise me.

Going back to the beginning, this is what I think we know based on the articles, press releases and interviews previously linked in the thread. Apologies if I've muddled or missed any details. Take it as IMO:

Dave was running late from a previous load and called his wife, Sarah, asking her to set out a change of clothes for him. When Dave arrived home between 7:00-7:30pm (sources differ on the exact time) he told Sarah he needed pants with deeper pockets, and either he or Sarah went upstairs to get a different pair. Dave gave Sarah and his grandson Niko a kiss as he was leaving, but told his 10-year-old son Joseph there wasn't enough time to give him a hug or kiss. Sarah remembers that Dave was wearing Wrangler pants and cowboy boots. She can't remember the colour of his shirt, and to my knowledge hasn't mentioned the colour of the pants or boots.

Dave arrived for the pick-up at Eagle Grove later than expected and was the last to load. The site has been searched and there's no publicly-released evidence of anything suspicious or unusual happening at the loading site. He left the loading site at 10:50pm.

Dave's trip from Eagle Grove to Marker 126 seems to have followed the expected timeline. He arrived at 11:15pm and stopped for 16 minutes. He was seen on camera checking the truck and his phone. There's no confirmation on whether he made a phone call. Other truckers have said this was likely a normal check on the truck prior to delivering a load. Nothing suspicious was seen on the video and there was no sign of a third party. Sarah looked at a video still and confirmed the man in the video is Dave, but she refused to watch the whole video because she didn't want it to be her last memory of him. Dave's truck was subsequently caught on a DOT camera heading west along Hwy 20 towards his destination.

Dave reached the Hwy 20/71 intersection within the expected timeframe at 12:18am. There's no evidence from cameras or paperwork that Dave ever reached his destination at Wiechman's, nor that he met with any third parties on the road--that doesn't mean he didn't meet anyone, but there's no publicly-released evidence that he did.

For whatever reason, Dave's truck turned north along Union Avenue instead of south along Hwy 71. The truck traveled four miles in the wrong direction before being parked on a quiet section of N14/Union Avenue close to the D15/190th St intersection. Data shows the truck traveling north to its final location, which it reached by 12:40am. There's no proof that Dave was driving, but equally, no evidence anyone else was. Driving from the 20/71 intersection to the N14/D15 intersection shouldn't take 22 minutes, but it's unclear if the truck was moving slowly, or remained stationary for extended periods of time along the way.

The parked truck was passed by a male friend who works feeding pigs, first at 5:30am and again on his return at 7:30am. The friend didn't think it was suspicious and assumed Dave was dealing with whatever the problem was.

Sarah was visited by Dave's boss later that morning, who informed her Dave never delivered his load. The boss and Dave's other colleagues spent the next few hours searching Dave's most likely route(s). Sarah called Dave's phone a number of times, without response. At 2:23pm Sarah reported Dave missing to the Lake View Sheriff's Office. She reported it as a medical issue because she had been told LE would respond more quickly--this may or may not have affected LE's initial handling of the case. At 3:04pm a Sac County road employee reported the truck to the Sac County Sheriff's Office.

A female officer called Sarah using Dave's phone, which was still inside the truck along with his wallet. Nothing was missing from the wallet, including $2000 in cash. Dave's old orange jacket was found in a ditch nearby, along with a pocketknife, phone charger and towel. Early reports of a muck boot and gloves being found may be incorrect. A tracker dog followed Dave's scent to a nearby field entrance, but reports differ on whether the dog lost the scent, or was called off due to poor weather conditions.

Thermal imaging cameras, drones, and ground searches were conducted for the next two days. Nothing was found. The weather was very cold with snow falling a few days after Dave went missing. It's unclear how wide the radius of the initial search was. Jake Rowley and the United Cajun Navy later conducted wide-ranging searches using drones, ATVs, horses and ground volunteers. They searched approximately 100,000 acres along Dave's presumed route. They also found nothing connected to Dave.

LE have examined many possiblities, including the possibility of Dave taking a flight or otherwise leaving the country. They have found no evidence he crossed any borders.

Dave's wife, Sarah, and his friends and colleagues don't believe he would leave by choice, nor that he would leave a load of pigs unattended. However, Sarah has admitted Dave has high blood pressure and would often tell her, "I can't take this." He has a loan for a new truck requiring $2000 per month repayments. Sarah quickly opened fundraising accounts after Dave went missing and admitted they relied on his paycheck.

Whatever happened, it happened when Sarah's daughter (Dave's stepdaughter) and grandson were visiting. Over the summer Dave had taken his twin sons, Joseph and Isaack, out with him on the truck for the first time. Dave grew up in Sac City and is familiar with the area.

Dave has had previous run-ins with LE and may have had previous addiction issues, but there's no public evidence of current problems, nor of any other drug-related issues.

---

I've tried to keep my personal opinions out of this and just lay out the known details.
Thank you for this, it really helps!

As far as I know pings are only as accurate as the number of cell towers and the distance between them. The more towers there are, and the closer they are to each other, the more accurately you can triangulate the position of the phone. It can range from scarily accurate to within a few miles. I'm not sure how accurate it would be in rural Iowa.

LE said they could track Dave's truck moving north along N14, which makes me think they have access to his phone GPS. I wonder if it was normal for Dave to leave his phone unlocked and accessible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member